PDA

View Full Version : Walker's weekend mailbag AFC North

mesaSteeler
06-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Walker's weekend mailbag
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth
June 27, 2009 11:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Let's see what's on the mind of AFC North readers this weekend.

Tejay from Houston, Texas, wants my opinion on the Tennessee Titans trash-talking the Pittsburgh Steelers.

James Walker: I think it's a little too early for it. The Titans probably feel the Steelers' Super Bowl rings should've been theirs, which is probably the root of this. They beat Pittsburgh in the regular season and thought it was their year. On top of that, it doesn't help the Titans were chosen to sit through the pregame title festivities to kick off the 2009 season. But trash-talking in June could be a lot of wasted energy. Tennessee has to get through an entire training camp first. The Titans have five preseason games against other teams before they even meet the Steelers. I wonder if they're putting too many eggs in one basket.

Amr from Manchester, N.J., is curious whether the Cincinnati Bengals would consider moving safety Roy Williams permanently to inside linebacker.

James Walker: Highly unlikely, Amr. Williams is actually challenging for the starting role at safety this summer and might be back there full time. Since pass coverage is not his strong suit, expect defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer to protect Williams by playing him closer to the line of scrimmage so he can do what he does best, which is make big hits. It's going to be a chess game with opponents anytime Williams is in as one of the last lines of defense.

Nasty Nate from Dayton, Ohio, wants an update on Cleveland Browns second-round pick Mohamed Massaquoi.

James Walker: Massaquoi did a decent job from what I saw this spring but he didn't necessarily stand out, Nate. In fact the Browns offense as a whole looked out of sync, because you had quarterbacks throwing to mostly a new group of receivers, and everyone was trying to learn a new system. I would have been more surprised if the entire unit looked tremendous this spring considering the circumstances.

Darren from Baltimore, Md., writes: Do you feel that Tavares Gooden will be able to effectively fill the role of recently departed LB Bart Scott, and help lead the Ravens defense to another spectacular season?

James Walker: Gooden was hurt for most of his rookie season. So realistically I want to see Gooden play in pads more to find out what type of player he is. From what I've seen in offseason practices, Gooden is athletic and very high-energy. He just wants to hit anyone and anything, and that reminds me of Bart Scott. With that mentality Gooden will fit right in with the Ravens' defense.

Doug from Corydon, Ind., wonders whether Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Dallas Baker will get lost in the numbers game this year.

James Walker: It's happened several times before, Doug, so it could very well happen again. Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and Limas Sweed are the obvious locks to make the team. Pittsburgh also signed veteran Shaun McDonald and drafted rookie Mike Wallace in the third round, and both should make the team. That doesn't leave much room for Baker. Even with an outstanding training camp, the best Baker could hope for is being the fifth or sixth receiver. It's going to be a battle for Baker this summer.

Big Phil from St. Louis, Mo., wants to know whether the Browns are a better team than last year.

James Walker: The Browns should win more than four games this season, so yes they are a better team. The key will be how the Browns match up in the division against teams they have to play twice a year. I'm not sure they have enough talent to keep up in that respect.

Thomas from Baltimore and several other AFC North readers are upset and shocked that Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis wasn't the most feared player of the decade instead of retired safety Rodney Harrison.

James Walker: Thomas, because I didn't take part in last week's all-decade project, I presented your question to NFC East blogger Matt Mosley, who wrote the story. Here was his response:

* "Rodney Harrison was the consensus pick as I talked to players, coaches and personnel experts. Ray Lewis' name certainly came up a lot, and many people think he's the smartest linebacker of the decade. But it was Harrison's head-hunting that set him apart. Receivers feared him because he showed no mercy across the middle. He also had the reputation as a dirty player -- and that only fueled the fear factor. Lewis was a punishing hitter, but it's not like he was covering wide receivers when they were most vulnerable. I expected the most feared player to come out of the secondary, and that's exactly what happened. I think Lewis was an obvious all-decade choice at linebacker. Tell your readers he was certainly the second or third most feared player of the decade. And tell them to hang out on the NFC East blog every now and then. We're a very welcoming bunch." -- Matt Mosley

fansince'76
06-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Tejay from Houston, Texas, wants my opinion on the Tennessee Titans trash-talking the Pittsburgh Steelers.

James Walker: I think it's a little too early for it. The Titans probably feel the Steelers' Super Bowl rings should've been theirs, which is probably the root of this. They beat Pittsburgh in the regular season and thought it was their year.

Maybe fatboy and the gang need to learn how to hold onto the goddamn ball in the red zone instead of running their mouths and acting like they won the Super Bowl when all they did was lock up the number one seed. Number one seed doesn't mean shit. I truly hope we wind up kicking the shit out of these assholes on September 10. :coffee:

hindes204
06-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Maybe fatboy and the gang need to learn how to hold onto the goddamn ball in the red zone instead of running their mouths and acting like they won the Super Bowl when all they did was lock up the number one seed. Number one seed doesn't mean shit. I truly hope we wind up kicking the shit out of these assholes on Septemer 10. :coffee:

well said...my sediments exactly

devilsdancefloor
06-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Maybe fatboy and the gang need to learn how to hold onto the goddamn ball in the red zone instead of running their mouths and acting like they won the Super Bowl when all they did was lock up the number one seed. Number one seed doesn't mean shit. I truly hope we wind up kicking the shit out of these assholes on September 10. :coffee:

:iagree: and i hope dumb and dumber have a few fumbles a piece:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

LVSteelersfan
06-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I will be so happy to see Ray Lewis totally lose any skills he has left (which is nothing more than firing up the rest of the team in pregame these days) and see that stabbin' punk finally out of the game for good. The only reason they would be afraid of Ray is he might stab them in the parking lot after the game if the Ravens lose.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-27-2009, 02:38 PM
{quote]James Walker: Gooden was hurt for most of his rookie season. So realistically I want to see Gooden play in pads more to find out what type of player he is. From what I've seen in offseason practices, Gooden is athletic and very high-energy. He just wants to hit anyone and anything, and that reminds me of Bart Scott. With that mentality Gooden will fit right in with the Ravens' defense.[/quote]

Anyone remember last year when Bart Scott had an unobstructed hit on Ward, but right before the hit Scott ducked out of the way, afraid of getting laid out?

Steel Mountain
06-27-2009, 03:31 PM

You know what I would like more? If they beat us...bad. Then dance around like a bunch of chimpanzees stomping on our shit...again, and then they miss the playoffs and we win another ring!!!! I would like that more than anything. We walk off of the SB field yawning with a ho hum been there done that smirk. The Fatdale White gets a call from Hines congratulating him on their win over us.

Galax Steeler
06-28-2009, 06:16 AM
You know what I would like more? If they beat us...bad. Then dance around like a bunch of chimpanzees stomping on our shit...again, and then they miss the playoffs and we win another ring!!!! I would like that more than anything. We walk off of the SB field yawning with a ho hum been there done that smirk. The Fatdale White gets a call from Hines congratulating him on their win over us.

I hope they don't beat us I hope we stomp all over them and they don't win a game all year.:coffee:

CanadianSteel
06-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Payback is coming and its gonna bee a Bitch for Fatboy and "Oldman No Rings"...