PDA

View Full Version : Never Ending Steelers Name Game

KingofSparta
06-27-2009, 06:07 PM
I did this on another forum and it was both fun and informative with a lot of quality participation.

THE STEELERS NAME GAME

The rules are simple. I will start the game by listing the name of a Steelers player, coach, or staff. The next person in the thread can take the first initial, the last initial, or the last letter of the last name to create the name of the next Steeler. The person after that will do the same, and onward etc. Example: Say I post the name Jerome Bettis. The next person in the thread has the option of naming a Steelers player using a J, a B, or an S. Any of the letters can be used in either the first name or the last name. With Jerome Bettis as the starting name, you could go with James Harrison, Terry Bradshaw, Bam Morris, Santonio Holmes, etc. But only choose one name.

The only catch is that you have to state a favorite thing about the Steeler you named along with a least favorite thing. Again, this was fun, knowledgeable, and informative...and we have over 50 years worth of players, coaches, and staff to choose from so the possibilities are very nearly endless. The same name can be used more than once as the game goes on, but try to be creative and come up with a new name every time.

Starting things off...

James Harrison

Fav: First Steelers Defender since Rod Woodson in 1993, and First Steelers Linebacker since Jack Lambert, to be named DPOY. Creates a revolving door on the edges and set the Steelers single season franchise record for sacks (16). Had it not been for the calling of the conservative Cover 2 Deep prevent defense, which doesn't prevent anything, Silverback would have been the SB MVP.

Least Fav: Turned 31 in May despite only starting for 2 seasons. The Silverback is an endangered species.

SteelCityKing
06-27-2009, 07:10 PM
i like "6 Degrees to Kevin Bacon" better. haha!

James Harrison - Heath Miller

Psyychoward86
06-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Lol. Purpose of the thread: Owned!

KingofSparta
06-28-2009, 12:02 AM
:banging:

Heath Miller ------> Rod Woodson

Positive: Regarded as perhaps the greatest cornerback in the history of the game. He was the last Steeler before Harrison to earn DPOY honors, in 1993. He was an 11 time Pro Bowl selection, 6 time First Team All Pro, a member of the 1990's All Decade Team, and a member of the NFL's 75th Anniversary All Time Team.

Negative: Spent time behind enemy lines with the Baltimore Ravens before finishing his career in Oakland.

Thanks for the intel Rod. :thmbup:

devilsdancefloor
06-28-2009, 12:16 AM
:banging:

Heath Miller ------> Rod Woodson

Positive: Regarded as perhaps the greatest cornerback in the history of the game. He was the last Steeler before Harrison to earn DPOY honors, in 1993. He was an 11 time Pro Bowl selection, 6 time First Team All Pro, a member of the 1990's All Decade Team, and a member of the NFL's 75th Anniversary All Time Team.

Negative: Spent time behind enemy lines with the Baltimore Ravens before finishing his career in Oakland.

Thanks for the intel Rod. :thmbup:

Mike Webster

Positive: great center

negative: died way to young RIP

Steel-Bryan
06-28-2009, 02:46 AM
Willie Parker

Positive: Top rushers in the nfl for about 3-4 years, helped open up our passing game, gave us some momentum when needed

Negative: He did bad last year, and now hes in the hotseat.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-28-2009, 03:24 AM
Willie Parker

Positive: Top rushers in the nfl for about 3-4 years, helped open up our passing game, gave us some momentum when needed

Negative: He did bad last year, and now hes in the hotseat.

Rashard Mendenhall

Positive: Young, powerful, former first round pick..rushed for an Illini school record of 1,681 yards and 17 touchdowns.....has ran an unofficial 4.36 forty-yard dash.

Negative: rookie season cut short by shoulder injury...time to prove worth on the big stage.

ricksteelers55
06-28-2009, 03:45 AM
Lamarr Woodley

positive: he is young and already one of the top pass rusher in the league

negative: didnt play a lot during his rookie season

StainlessStill
06-28-2009, 06:08 AM
Lamarr Woodley

positive: he is young and already one of the top pass rusher in the league

negative: didnt play a lot during his rookie season

Levon Kirkland.

Positive: Smart, Big, Hard Hitter, one of the most likeable Steelers linebackers of all time. Had tons of athleticism, esp for his size.

Negative: His weight got in the way of what could of been many more NFL seasons with his talent alone. Underrated.

stillers4me
06-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Najeh Davenport

Good : had a few flashes

Bad: Dookie!

KingofSparta
06-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Najeh Davenport -----> Dermontti Dawson

Pos: Dawson had big shoes to fill with the departure of Mike Webster and he did an admirable job of doing so, becoming one of the best Centers in the league at his time. He accumulated 7 Pro Bowl selections, 6 First Team All Pro nods, and was a member of the 1990's All Decade Team.

Neg: Who can say anything bad about the guy? Collectively, and what still pisses me off sometimes, is that the Steelers have 6 players on the 1990's All Decade Team and 0 Super Bowls in that time frame. I love Cowher, but he was a real choke artist come playoff time and even in the one Super Bowl (SB 30) that we appeared in during that decade.

Think of how many more rings we'd have if Cowher had been a better postseason coach and if Neil O'Donnell hadn't been the default MVP for the Cowboys in XXX.

:mad:

Makes me want to break something.

Rek
06-28-2009, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=KingofSparta;620728]Najeh Davenport -----> Dermontti Dawson

David Little (LB)

(+) - Made the Pro Bowl in 1990

(-) - Died a few years back (RIP)

slashsteel
06-28-2009, 04:25 PM
David Little

Ernie "Fats"Holmes.

Positives. Fats was one of the Steel Curtain members , he was 8th on the teams all time sack list, with 40. The man was intensely wild... as some even say he was the most feared man on the D.

Negatives: Had a run in with po po shooting a few shots at a helicopter. He sadly passed away from a automobile accident. He had some weight issues that led the Steelers to trade him in 78.

Don't judge the man on a few rare instances, judge the man on his life work. R.I.P Ernie you are missed.

Here is a extra bonus and check out who commented on a tribute I made for him....

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=26427527

Psyychoward86
06-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Najeh Davenport

Good : had a few flashes

Bad: Dookie!

Lol. Moving on....

Larry Foote

Positive +
Highly underrated, awesome run stuffer, lockerroom dude, and just an overall great guy.

Negative -
Bitter end to his career in Pittsburgh, he's going to try to bring hell to us when we play his Lions next season.

slashsteel
06-28-2009, 06:19 PM
ummmmmmm I think you skipped my post. lol

rthorsn
06-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Lol. Moving on....

Larry Foote

Positive +
Highly underrated, awesome run stuffer, lockerroom dude, and just an overall great guy.

Negative -
Bitter end to his career in Pittsburgh, he's going to try to bring hell to us when we play his Lions next season.

Ya he did skip one but moving on to avoid confusion..

Larry Foote

James Farrior

Positive

Great on the field general...A true leader by example and a Steeler thru and thru

Negative

He was drafted by the Jets

StainlessStill
06-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Lol. Moving on....

Larry Foote

Positive +

Negative -

Ya he did skip one but moving on to avoid confusion..

Larry Foote

James Farrior

Positive

Great on the field general...A true leader by example and a Steeler thru and thru

Negative

He was drafted by the Jets

Jerry Olsavsky- LB

Positive: Great backup, & Teammate who had the talent to step in and get the job done via injury. Starter material also if needed. Played well when called upon.

Negative: Size, and the fact he had to play behind some excellent players at Linebacker, thus never giving the oppurtunity to shine in the long run.

KingofSparta
06-29-2009, 06:19 PM
I'll take the Y on Jerry Olsavsky and solve the puzzle with:

Yancey Thigpen

Pos: Thigpen was a Pro Bowl caliber WR with us for several years and is sometimes overlooked and forgotten (at least from what I've seen on other websites). Nevertheless, he was a Two Time Pro Bowl Selection and Two Time All Pro Selection as well as being the number one option for us en route to Super Bowl 30.

Neg: Took a few years to develop into his potential, was sidelined with injuries a couple of times, and then put on the traitor's trenchcoat and finished his career with the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans.

Indo
06-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Troy

Positives--What can I say---the man is a BEAST. All of you know the Rest
Negatives--Again, What can I say---There ARE no negatives (except, maybe, the Concussion thing. Hope it doesn't cut his career short)

KingofSparta
07-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Come on man, you're killin the thread! haha

Troy Polamalu---> Lawrence Timmons

Pos: The Steelers version of "LT" is notably the fastest and arguably the most athletically gifted linebacker on the current roster. Last season he was able to work his way onto the starting rotation in the nickel and dime packages and also split time with Larry Foote at the Mack backer position; rotating into the lineup on passing downs. We drafted him as an incredibly raw 15th pick of the first round.

Neg: Timmons needs to add about ten pounds of rock to his frame and really needs to continue to work on his basic fundamentals. Another weakness of his is that he is not very strong against the run, which is imperative if he is going to supplant Foote at the Mack backer position.

Indo
07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Come on man, you're killin the thread! haha

Sorry---didn't mean to kill the thread

I just sort of assumed that everyone would know "T" , "P", and "U" if I just typed "Troy". I was being lazy...

SteelMember
07-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Lawrence Timmons ----> Terry Bradshaw

Pos: The "blonde bomber" was a 3-time pro-bowler, 2-time superbowl MVP, and a 1 time league MVP. He lead the Steelers to an unprecedented 4 "superbowls" in the 70's, and 8 AFC central championships in his 14 year career.
In four career Super Bowl appearances he passed for 932 yards and 9 touchdowns, both Super Bowl records at the time of his retirement.

Cons: the bitterness towards the fans and coach Chuck Noll after his playing days, which has recently come to pass. Of course there is always the country album and the peanut butter. :chuckle:

Little known fact: Middle name is Paxton and we drafted him after winning a coinflip with the bears to select #1 overall in 1970.