PDA

View Full Version : Are the Steelers the NFL's Only Perpetual Dynasty?

TackleMeBen
06-28-2009, 07:05 PM
With all of the recent talk about the NFL Team of the Decade (a year early), I thought it would be fun to start a new discussion as to what team could be considered the NFL’s only perpetual dynasty.
There’s current talk about the Steelers potentially being on the cusp of a second dynasty, if it already isn't. I would argue that the Steelers dynasty of the 70s may have never really ended, and they are the NFL’s only “perpetual” dynasty (since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970).
A dynasty is literally defined as “a succession of rulers of the same line of descent,” or “a powerful group or family that maintains its position for a considerable time.” There is no formal definition for a “sports dynasty” however, and the definition is often left up to speculation and debate by sports fans.
A sports dynasty is generally considered to be a team that dominates their sport for multiple seasons or years. It has a beginning and an end. While the beginning or end may not be a pinpoint in time, the dynasty does fit within a space of time.
Many argue a sports dynasty must be highlighted by championships. Others believe titles aren’t necessarily required so long as the team remains dominant in regular season wins over time.
Current debates regarding the Steelers, Patriots, and Colts in the team of the decade discussion even focus on the number of AFCCG appearances.
Using these definitions, we can point to the obvious NFL dynasties—the Steelers of the 70s, the 49ers and Redskins of the 80s, the Cowboys and Bills (yes the Bills) of the 90s, and the Patriots of this decade.
What if you consider them all together - Wins, titles, and Championship game appearances - since 1970?
If you make this consideration, you can pinpoint one and only one candidate for the NFL’s only perpetual dynasty—the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The Pittsburgh Steelers

1970s:

99-44 Losses (.692)
8 Playoff Appearances
5 AFC Championship Game Appearances
4 Super Bowl Titles

1980s:

77-75 (.507)
4 Playoff Appearances
1 AFC Championship Game appearance

1990s:

93-67 (.581)
6 Playoff Appearances
3 AFC Championship Game Appearances
1 Super Bowl appearance

00 Decade (to date):

94-49 Losses (.657)
6 Playoff Appearances
4 AFC Championship Game Appearances
2 Super Bowl Titles

As compared to the other dynasties, was there ever really a finite end of the Steelers 70s dynasty? If you consider wins, playoff appearances, championship games, and Super Bowl visits and titles, there's a strong argument to be made that Pittsburgh never left the dynasty dance floor.

The obvious argument against the Steelers in this discussion is the decade of the 1980s. While obviously the most difficult in the past 40 years for the Steelers, it was still well above par by NFL standards. It was a decade with a positive winning percentage (.507), the Steelers still made the playoffs 40% of the time, and made a trip to the AFC Championship Game.

Did the Steelers “dynasty” truly disappear, and is there a finite end to their dynasty as you saw with the other dynasties? It does not appear there is. There is no decade where the Steelers played sub-.500 football. There is no decade where the Steelers didn’t play in a Conference Championship game. The Steelers were represented in the playoffs 80% of the time in the 70s, 40% in the 80s, 60% in the 90s, and 60% of the time so far this decade.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/208340-are-the-steelers-the-nfls-only-perpetual-dynasty

silver & black
06-28-2009, 07:54 PM
You have a case if you aren't counting their entire history. The 80's weren't exactly up to dynasty standards, but I would say that the Steelers come closer than anyone else to that title.

I think I might have go wash up after that...LOL.

Men of Steel
06-28-2009, 09:24 PM
:helmet:awesome article! :thumbsup:

bottom line is.......
since the merger... no team has been more succesfull than the pittsburgh steelers... and throughout four decades... have been contenders for playoff runs and SB titles.

only team with six.... nough said??? :tt03:

Psyychoward86
06-28-2009, 10:18 PM
I never thought about this "dynasty stuff" that way. Thanks for bringing up the analysis. Hard to argue we are the greatest?

X-Terminator
06-28-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm sure this is bound to get the Massholes and Cowgals fans up in arms. As if anyone outside of Dallas and New Cheatland* should give a shit...

Steel-Bryan
06-29-2009, 12:57 AM
:helmet:awesome article! :thumbsup:

bottom line is.......
since the merger... no team has been more succesfull than the pittsburgh steelers... and throughout four decades... have been contenders for playoff runs and SB titles.

only team with six.... Nuff' said??? :tt03:

Fixed that for you :hug:

Galax Steeler
06-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Looks like good stats to me. I would have to say by looking at that we are no.1

Men of Steel
06-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Fixed that for you :hug:

hahaha thanks :chuckle:

ps. awesom signature pik and avatar... i lov the rockets... this year was a sad one... :crying02:

thumper
06-29-2009, 06:36 PM
You can't go 25 years without a title and claim you are a "perpetual dynasty." That is crazy talk. Had they scored a title in the 80s and 90s, I'd listen. But without such, it's the talk of a zealot.

HughC
06-30-2009, 02:24 PM
If we're saying "in the Super Bowl era" or since the merger, then yes - it's the Steelers hands down.

If we're talking about in the history of the NFL, then it's got to be the Packers.

steelreserve
07-01-2009, 01:56 AM
I'd say we're definitely the most consistent winners/contenders over the past 40 years, but that's different from being a "perpetual dynasty." The Steelers went through some pretty lean times in the '80s ... and even though they never really flat-out sucked, they certainly weren't "the team to beat" in the AFC, or even in serious contention for most of the decade.

Bottom line, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find such a thing as a perpetual dynasty at the highest level of any modern professional sport. Even the traditional, big-spending, consistent winners like the Lakers, Yankees, Red Wings, etc. fall from the top of the heap for a few years at a time every so often.

Penn St Steelers
07-01-2009, 06:40 AM
just another fact as to why there are so many Steeler fans in away teams Stadiums and why we are hated more then any team in the NFL

just like in the NBA it's the: Lakers
in MLB it's the: Yankees
in the NHL it's the: Canadians

you either Love us or Hate us, there is no in between :tt02: