PDA

View Full Version : Santonio Holmes: 'I want to be in the Hall of Fame'

mesaSteeler
06-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Santonio Holmes: 'I want to be in the Hall of Fame'
http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/06/santonio-holmes-i-want-to-be-in-the-hall-of-fame.html

The Super Bowl-winning catch Steelers WR Santonio Holmes made against the Cardinals in February will likely be captured in the Hall of Fame. But Holmes doesn't want that to be the only memory of him in Canton.

Holmes, 25, fresh off the biggest play of his career, told the Sporting News his goal is to earn a bust as a member of the professional football Hall of Fame when his career ends.

"Before I started in the NFL, before I got drafted, I told a group of friends that no matter what I did throughout my career, I wanted to be in the Hall of Fame," the Super Bowl MVP told the Sporting News.

"That is something that would touch me more than everything that comes with being a star. ... That's still my goal. Regardless of me winning the Super Bowl, playing in the Pro Bowl, having a 1,000-yard season, I want to be in the Hall of Fame. And whatever it takes to get into the Hall of Fame, that's what I'm going to do."

The Steelers drafted Holmes with the 25th overall pick in 2006. He has averaged 52 catches, 862 receiving yards and five touchdowns in his first three seasons.

He may be catching up to Steelers receiver Hines Ward on the depth chart, and Holmes gently but confidently told the magazine he wants more looks from QB Ben Roethlisberger.

"He realizes that he can throw that slant ball to me at any time and be just as confident as any quarterback would feel if they had a Marvin Harrison or a Terrell Owens on the field," Holmes said.

Since Holmes made the comparison, let's see how his statistics measure up against Owens and Harrison, who project as Hall of Famers:

Player: Average statistics through first three seasons
Owens: 54 catches, 851 receiving yards, nine TDs
Harrison: 66 catches, 826 receiving yards, seven TDs
Holmes: 52 catches, 862 receiving yards, five TDs

Nighthawk
06-29-2009, 09:20 PM
I love this kids attitude. And those statistics put things into focus when we talk about big time players and their first 3 years. I think nothing but great things are in store for Tone

Sharkissle29
06-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Wow i thought Holmes has been with us a lot longer. Cant believe its only been 3 years......

bradness113
06-29-2009, 09:43 PM
love him. but he wont be with us much longer. so enjoy wut time we have with this kid.

Men of Steel
06-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Santonio Holmes: 'I want to be in the Hall of Fame'
http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/06/santonio-holmes-i-want-to-be-in-the-hall-of-fame.html

Player: Average statistics through first three seasons
Owens: 54 catches, 851 receiving yards, nine TDs
Harrison: 66 catches, 826 receiving yards, seven TDs
Holmes: 52 catches, 862 receiving yards, five TDs

wow.. .what stands out to me the most.. is that BOTH owens and harrison came from high passing offenses.... not Tone... he comes from a run first organization... and in his first three years... he is right up there with them.

where does he excel above and beyond TO and Marvin H.??? YARDS AFTER CATCH he averaged less catches per year... but MORE YARDS anyway... :tt03:

I dont doubt Tone makin the HOF... he can achieve what he sets out to do.....
( remember before the SB he predicted himself being the SB MVP? )
( remember before the last drive him repeatedly telling Ben " i want the ball " ) ?
( remember before that last drive his constant words were.. "TIME TO BE GREAT" ) ?

seems he predicts his own fate each time... !!! :tt03:

tony hipchest
06-29-2009, 10:27 PM
as long as he remembers that tomlin only walks by 6 superbowl trophies on his way to work each day, its all good.

ben has high aspirations too. win 5 sb's and go down as the sb winningest qb of all time.

if santonio sticks with him, and puts aside personal goals, he should be fine on his quest. time will tell (lots of dough and receptions await a receiver of his calibur).

Vis
06-30-2009, 03:40 AM
I think his quest could lead him to a pass happy team in pursuit of personal numbers.

Preacher
06-30-2009, 05:20 AM
love him. but he wont be with us much longer. so enjoy wut time we have with this kid.

I think his quest could lead him to a pass happy team in pursuit of personal numbers.

How's that?

He is on a team that is balanced on offense, which means he gets a whole lot of passes. . . AND gets to play in the post-season, which is what gets teams into the post-season and SB. Furthermore, he has a QB that trusts him and gets him the ball. Morever, a QB that breaks things open, and creates BIG plays himself.

If Tone wants to make it to the HOF, his best bet, is to hitch his wagon to Ben R. He seems smart enough to know that, and we have Ben signed for 9 more years.

Ward's contract is going to go away in a year or so. That cap hit will probably be given to heath this coming year (meted out properly so that it fits under the cap with Hines this year) and the rest will prob. go to Holmes with a bit for Ward (who will prob. sign like Bettis).

Well, thats my opinion... but I like it!!

fansince'76
06-30-2009, 07:34 AM

And you make this assertion based on....what, exactly?

HometownGal
06-30-2009, 07:34 AM
I've always loved Santo's 'tude and though some may feel his HOF desires may be a little self-serving, I'm reading it that this young man wants to be great and isn't going to settle for anything less, which, imho, bodes very well in our favor. :drink: :hatsoff:

You talked the talk, now get out there and walk the walk, Santo. :banana:

fansince'76
06-30-2009, 07:38 AM

That kind of thinking wound up costing Housh 2 rings and a fatter paycheck.

Galax Steeler
06-30-2009, 08:07 AM
He has the wil and play ability to make it to the hall of fame. If he don't want a monster payday when his contract is up and stick with the Steeler organization, there should be no reason why he can't make it to the hall of fame when his career is up.

BlastFurnace
06-30-2009, 08:22 AM
If REL got $30 Million and Nate got $27 Million, what on earth will Santonio get?

I have no doubt that Santonio can be a HOF'r. I love his fearless attitude.

I just hope we can sign him. It's going to be tough to do that with Woodley coming up the same year.

steel9guy
06-30-2009, 09:23 AM
I hope We can sign him but I doubt it so I'm gonna enjoy the next 2 years. and Holmes catch should be framed in the Hall forever.

TackleMeBen
06-30-2009, 09:52 AM
you have to love holmes attitude, just as long as he doesnt turn into a chad johnson or TO, he will be fine.

like many of you have said, i think if he really wants to be in the HOF, his best bet would be to stay in Pittsburgh and play with Ben.

revefsreleets
06-30-2009, 10:42 AM
OMG! Panic!

Trade him or cut him NOW before he gets too expensive and we can't afford him anymore!:cloud::cloud:

fansince'76
06-30-2009, 11:15 AM
I hope We can sign him but I doubt it so I'm gonna enjoy the next 2 years.

I dunno; seems like most felt he was having a "down season" before the playoffs started. If someone like Snyder wants to break the bank for him solely based on his SB MVP award (kinda like he broke the bank for ARE based on a trick play in SB XL) and he doesn't pick up his regular season production by 2011, then bye-bye Santo. Kinda why we've won 2 out of the last 4 SBs while the 'Skins haven't won anything in almost 2 decades.

revefsreleets
06-30-2009, 11:27 AM
We've done a good job keeping younger players signed on. The Rooney's are NOT cheap, they just don't wildly overpay. If THIS was Santo's contract year we'd have been in big trouble because of nincompoops like Snyder and Davis who would have paid just about anything for the Super Bowl MVP, but realistically he could stay a Steeler for top 5 money if that's the level he's producing at when the time comes to wheel and deal. I think these guys do realize that winning is more important than money in many cases, and with the Steelers you can experience both.

LVSteelersfan
06-30-2009, 01:40 PM
OMG. I can see it now. Santonio prancing around the field with a gold jacket on. Please, oh PLEASE, don't do the Ocho Stinko routine on us. You will not last on the Steelers if your head gets too big.

HughC
06-30-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure what to make of his comments. On one hand it's great to see him as driven and motivated as he is. On the other hand I'd rather hear a player talking about team goals rather than individual goals.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-30-2009, 05:25 PM
He wants to be a Hall of Fame wideout? That's good for the team because he will work hard and be at his best.

SteelCityKing
06-30-2009, 05:58 PM
i'm afraid Holmes will somehow become the next Paxico Burress and be shipped off and lose his luster.

i love Holmes. he's got great potential, but i hope it doesn't get wasted somewhere along the way to Canton. i hope he does get in the Hall, but he's got a long road ahead of him. maybe Hines can save a spot for him? =)

MACH1
06-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Just as long as he doesn't break out with a yellow jacket on the sidelines.

X-Terminator
07-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Sheesh people, just because he says he wants to be in the Hall doesn't mean he's going to turn into Ochosucko or that he cares more about himself than the team. All it means - and he said it himself - that he is willing and going to do whatever he has to do to improve so that one day, he WILL get in. What's wrong with that?

God, the paranoia around here whenever someone talks about wanting to be the best is a bit troubling, to say the least. I thought that's what we wanted every athlete to aspire to? I thought that's what everyone period should aspire to?