PDA

View Full Version : Urbik as a center?

mesaSteeler
06-29-2009, 08:37 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m6d29-Steelers-bolster-line-by-signing-draft-pick-Urbik-to-three-year-deal

Steelers bolster line by signing draft pick Urbik to three year deal
June 29, 1:44 PM
Matt Pawlikowski

Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers have signed the eighth of their nine 2009 draft picks, as they agreed to a three-year contract with offensive guard Kraig Urbik on Monday. Terms of the deal have not been released.Kraig Urbik

Urbik (6-5, 328) was selected by the Steelers with the 15th pick (79th overall) in the third round of Aprilís NFL Draft, the first of the teamís three choices in the round. The Steelers obtained the pick for Urbik as well as the 20th pick in the third round as part of a draft day trade with the Denver Broncos.

"This kid understands football. Heís a big physical guy that we think can play guard or tackle,' said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians recently said about Urbik. " Weíll stick the ball between his legs and see if he can do that too, so he has the ability to dress on Sunday and be a guy that could possibly be a three position player for us."

Meaning, Urbik may give former Penn Stater and local product AQ Shipley a run for his money at the center position.

Urbik started 50 games during his college career at Wisconsin, lining up at right guard 34 times and starting 16 games at right tackle. He became the first freshman at Wisconsin to start at offensive tackle since 1996 and registered 325 knockdown blocks during his college career. During his final two seasons, Urbik allowed only three quarterback sacks and two pressures on 680 pass plays.

Urbik will compete with Darnell Stapleton for the starting right guard position, and have Stapleton be the swing-man backup. Regardless of whether he wins the starting job in his first year, he will still provide depth to a thin offensive line.
The Steelers have now signed all of their 2009 draft picks with the exception of first-round DE Ziggy Hood.

(Center? Ok fine if it works but I'd be happy if he can pass block and keep Ben on his feet. - mesa)

austinfrench76
06-29-2009, 08:47 PM
I understand the value of people being able to play 3 positions and all but wouldn't it be great to see these guys at their natural positions? I mean that's how we got Willie Colon palying tackle instead of guard and Stapleton at guard instead of center and so on and so forth. I just want someone that can block maybe even at just ONE position!

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-29-2009, 08:56 PM
You are reading too much into this trashy piece of writing from a 3rd rate source.

The idea of "putting a ball between his legs" for Urbik, just means that he could be one of the 7 O linemen dressed on gameday ....just because he CAN play 4 positions. Its not like he is competing for the starting spot at center.

tony hipchest
06-29-2009, 09:07 PM
but james harrison put the ball between his legs last season. :noidea:

arge5809
06-29-2009, 09:15 PM
yah and that didn't work out at all!

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-29-2009, 10:24 PM
but james harrison put the ball between his legs last season. :noidea:

Yeah....and if that scared them enough, then Doug Legursky might be active on gameday as a backup. He was working last year on some long snapping with a former Bears long snapper.

Position flexibility brings value, but it doesnt necessarily mean a guy will compete for a start at that position.

SteelKid212
06-29-2009, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=mesaSteeler;621109]http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m6d29-Steelers-bolster-line-by-signing-draft-pick-Urbik-to-three-year-deal

Urbik (6-5, 328)
Urbik started 50 games during his college career at Wisconsin, lining up at right guard 34 times and starting 16 games at right tackle. He became the first freshman at Wisconsin to start at offensive tackle since 1996 and registered 325 knockdown blocks during his college career. During his final two seasons, Urbik allowed only three quarterback sacks and two pressures on 680 pass plays.

what stands out to me is his consistency and production.
in 50 games 325 knockdown blocks. THATS 6.5 Knockdown Blocks PER GAME!
i dunno... but that sounds pretty good to me. :thumbsup:
during that span ONLY allowed 3 QB sacks..!????!? again... pretty goood stat :thumbsup:

oo yea... and hes big... 6-5... 328 lbs.... :chuckle:

wootawnee
06-29-2009, 10:38 PM
We got a great leader at center......Justin took control last year and he will be there for awhile.........This guy got right guard written all over him......

SteelCityMan786
06-29-2009, 11:17 PM
In my opinion it's stupid. They just drafted a GREAT center in Shipley who is able to scrap with D-Linemen. Not to mention he does something called BLOCK, something our O-line had trouble doing for at least 4 games if not more.(You can point all 4 easily.

mesaSteeler
06-30-2009, 12:10 AM
[QUOTE]

what stands out to me is his consistency and production.
in 50 games 325 knockdown blocks. THATS 6.5 Knockdown Blocks PER GAME!
i dunno... but that sounds pretty good to me. :thumbsup:
during that span ONLY allowed 3 QB sacks..!????!? again... pretty goood stat :thumbsup:

oo yea... and hes big... 6-5... 328 lbs.... :chuckle:

"6.5 Knockdown Blocks PER GAME" - I must confess I'm looking forward to seeing the "Wrath of Kraig"

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-30-2009, 01:25 AM
In my opinion it's stupid. They just drafted a GREAT center in Shipley who is able to scrap with D-Linemen. Not to mention he does something called BLOCK, something our O-line had trouble doing for at least 4 games if not more.(You can point all 4 easily.

Shipley may be the #3 center on the team and relegated to the practice squad. Again, Urbik is a guard that can play RT or center. Shipley is a 7th round drafted center that can maybe play guard.

Galax Steeler
06-30-2009, 06:06 AM
I don't care where Urbik plays just as long as he can help keep Ben off his back. If we can get that offensive line to work hard and stick together it will be scary to see what Ben can do this year.

mmalone
06-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Urbik started 50 games at the University of Wisconsin, all on the right side (34 at guard, 16 at tackle) and was regarded as being one of top run-blocking guards in the 2009 NFL draft.

revefsreleets
06-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Sure, why not give him a look-see? Can't hurt, and he's definitely smart enough to handle QBing the line.

TackleMeBen
06-30-2009, 09:38 AM
I don't care where Urbik plays just as long as he can help keep Ben off his back. If we can get that offensive line to work hard and stick together it will be scary to see what Ben can do this year.
i am with you. i dont care where he plays as long as he can keep ben upright. i am hoping that stafford will lead the league in most sacks this season :wink02:

steelreserve
06-30-2009, 10:46 AM
That'd be great if he can play center, but honestly, this just sounds somewhere between a harebrained scheme and good old-fashioned wishful thinking.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-30-2009, 11:37 AM
He isnt gonna compete to play at center.

The Steelers are just saying that if Hartwig gets injured and Stapleton is not able to play C.......then Urbik could possibly finish out a game at C if needed.

LVSteelersfan
06-30-2009, 01:24 PM
I seriously doubt they put him in at center unless we are in dire straits. Right guard is where we need him and a right guard he will be. Stapleton can be the backup center/right guard behind Hartwig and Urbik. I really hope Urbik takes over the RG job and Kemo finally gets it down and quits making mistakes at LG. We will have a pretty good Oline if they can get some time together. Lets hope Urbik is an all pro type guard.

revefsreleets
06-30-2009, 01:39 PM
How did this get mixed up into him competing for the starting job?

I think they should see if he can play the position for depth. It'd be nice to know we have 2 or 3 players who can play center in a pinch. Injuries can definitely pile up along an oline and the more versatility the better.

pancake
06-30-2009, 03:57 PM
My hope is that Urbik does not win the starting guard position by default, but wins it because he is an upgrade.

I might sound stupid for saying this, but I think this group of linemen can be a really good unit. They played better in the playoffs, they're young and their all coming back with the edition to some youth. We will have to wait and see...

Dino 6 Rings
06-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Always felt that drafting oline out of Wisconsin was a good choice. Hope it works out. Welcome to the team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-30-2009, 07:12 PM
My hope is that Urbik does not win the starting guard position by default, but wins it because he is an upgrade.

I might sound stupid for saying this, but I think this group of linemen can be a really good unit. They played better in the playoffs, they're young and their all coming back with the edition to some youth. We will have to wait and see...

The only way that he doesnt win the job is if he cant grasp the entire playbook in time for opening day.

I watched a few of his games last year and he is bigger than Stapleton, more physical, has more of a nasty edge to the way he plays and looks to make smarter decisions. The only thing Stapleton has on Urbik is around 12 more games NFL experience.

tony hipchest
06-30-2009, 08:34 PM
heres my take. U-boat is to stapleton what big ben was to maddox.

its just a matter of time (and probably better sooner than later).

Texasteel
06-30-2009, 08:40 PM
heres my take. U-boat is to stapleton what big ben was to maddox.

its just a matter of time (and probably better sooner than later).

Stapleton will go back to were he should be. Providing valuable depth to an improving line.

tony hipchest
06-30-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm not a big fan of stapleton, colon, or hartwig so hopefully Urbik gets in there ASAPits my thinking that urbick immediately makes hartwig AND colon better...

a case of 2+2=5. (hartwig was the veteran of the group with 2 players making their debut as starters to the right and left. he had some slack to pick up.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Only if you think Urbik comes in and immediatley outplays Stapleton, ... (if he doesn't) in which case you have the same problem as last year ... a rookie inbetween a shoddy entire right side of the line from Kemo's right arm-over

The difference is that Stapleton was an undersized (285lbs) UDFA from Rutgers that made the squad as depth. Urbik is a 328lb veteran of over 40 starts at Wisconsin and a 2nd team all Big 10 performer.

Nothing is done yet, but Urbik has the pedigree, size and experience to be an NFL player. Stapleton got to play because of the loss of Faneca, injury to Simmons and the Steelers drafting of ..........Cameron Stevenson and Bo Lacey as O line depth.

Putting a weak, undersized guy with 12 NFL starts worth of experience on the field instead of an inexperienced guy with talent and size is not the blueprint for success. This will solve itself in camp. I hope Urbik is a quick study.

tony hipchest
06-30-2009, 11:22 PM
This will solve itself in camp. I hope Urbik is a quick study.

im putting my money on the U-boat not being a dunce.

(hey! if billybob can have "mach5" i can most certainly have "U-boat", right?)

:chuckle:

devilsdancefloor
07-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Hartwig to me was to worried about blocking his guy plus stapletons guy on more than one occasion last year. i think you put the (oh god forgive me) the Uboat in it makes harwig a lot better. Plus cant count out legursky or ship @ center. im really excited to see who wins starting jobs on the Oline. i thknk we have alot of young guys who can step up.:thumbsup::tt03:

Texasteel
07-01-2009, 06:03 AM
im putting my money on the U-boat not being a dunce.

(hey! if billybob can have "mach5" i can most certainly have "U-boat", right?)

:chuckle:

I believe Urbik is considered a very bright young man. I don't think he will have to much trouble picking up our plays. He may not start on opening day, but I don't think it will be to long after.

Texasteel
07-01-2009, 06:09 AM
Hartwig to me was to worried about blocking his guy plus stapletons guy on more than one occasion last year. i think you put the (oh god forgive me) the Uboat in it makes harwig a lot better. Plus cant count out legursky or ship @ center. im really excited to see who wins starting jobs on the Oline. i thknk we have alot of young guys who can step up.:thumbsup::tt03:

Legursky is the man I want to watch progress threw training camp.

Galax Steeler
07-01-2009, 07:15 AM

I really like Legursky and I think he will start to progress alot this year in trainning camp. Hopefully he will get some playing time as well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-01-2009, 10:01 AM
I believe Urbik is considered a very bright young man. I don't think he will have to much trouble picking up our plays. He may not start on opening day, but I don't think it will be to long after.

I think you are right. Urbik scored a 28 on the Wonderlic, but more importantly he looked to be a guy that had good technique and played with a field awareness at Wisconsin that showed Football IQ. I also think Arians said something to the effect of "he knows football".

Seriously, not a sexy pick, but a guy that most said should just be a solid O-lineman for the next 10 years in the NFL. Good to have him in B&G at guard.....and if he can play C in a pinch, great!!

thumper
07-01-2009, 01:47 PM
http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/k_urbik_090221_blog.jpg

The more I hear about this guy, the more I love the pick. The knock on him is he isn't that athletic. But give me huge, powerful, a nasty steak who loves to knock people on their wallet, even if they aren't the most athletic dude ever.

He did 29 reps at 225. And he is 6-5, 330. I think he will make a fine Steeler, but there is no way he ends up as our starting center unless we have injuries. at 6-5, that's a little tall for an ideal center.

Texasteel
07-01-2009, 04:21 PM
I think you are right. Urbik scored a 28 on the Wonderlic, but more importantly he looked to be a guy that had good technique and played with a field awareness at Wisconsin that showed Football IQ. I also think Arians said something to the effect of "he knows football".

Seriously, not a sexy pick, but a guy that most said should just be a solid O-lineman for the next 10 years in the NFL. Good to have him in B&G at guard.....and if he can play C in a pinch, great!!

You know, if we still think we need a center next year, I am starting to read and hear that Kristofer O'Dowd may leave USC early. He could land about where I think we will be picking next year.

SteelMember
07-01-2009, 04:51 PM

Yeah, I thought I heard he could bench press a volkswagon...I'd need LLT to confirm. :chuckle:

As far as Urbik, I agree with gonzo. I wouldn't read too much into the article. At face value it just tells me the guy could be even more valuable to the roster if he could play center in a pinch.

wootawnee
07-03-2009, 08:32 AM

I'm with you....They really gelled in the playoffs......They just got to get their run blocking all together on the same page and they will shine.......

wootawnee
07-03-2009, 08:34 AM
I think the bigger problem is center ... I remember reading awhile back that Hartwig allowed more sacks than any other center in the league last year, even more than Mahan the year prior.

I'm not a big fan of stapleton, colon, or hartwig so hopefully Urbik gets in there
ASAP

That was a communication factor rather thatn skill.....When they gel a little more the sacks will drop emmensly.....

wootawnee
07-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Willie Colon is coming along and is the nastiest lineman we have........He gets into scraps with Nagda.......Who else in the league does that.........He is from the Bronx.......No one messes with WIllie......He will get better out there on the end, cause it is hard to adjust cause of the space and no one to have your back on the out side like the guards........We love his attitude.......

Remember........He does not take any *$%& from Nagda or any other d lineman in the league.....

mmalone
07-03-2009, 09:47 AM

post that pick of summers on the other summers thread. it is a good one.

MongoSteeler
07-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Urbik will be in the mix at right guard for this season with an eye to tackle in the future.

Legursky has been said to be looking good and will be in the mix at centerwith an eye for him to become the starting center of the next 10 years.

With those names, Legursky and Urbik, I can already hear the commentators saying "these guys have been the anchor of this great O line for the last 10seasons".

MasterOfPuppets
07-04-2009, 12:30 AM
finding out if urbik could evcel at center is a smart move. knowing he COULD be a starting center gives them flexability in next years draft if they don't resign hartwig. by that i mean if a guard they really like falls in thier lap, they could take him and move urbik to center, instead of settling for a lesser center.plus it gives them more options if there's an injury on the line as far as getting your 5 best availabe blockers on the field. kinda like the year they moved faneca out to play left tackle, because the backup guard was a better guard than the backup tackle was at tackle.