PDA

View Full Version : Despite All The Negative Headlines; Players Sometimes Show They Care

mesaSteeler
06-30-2009, 10:09 PM
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2009/06/30/despite-all-the-negative-headlines-players-sometimes-show-they-care/
Despite All The Negative Headlines; Players Sometimes Show They Care

Posted by Joseph Clifton under Off the Cuff, Pittsburgh Steelers

A simple act of kindness, may just change one mans life ! Some of you reading this may know me from my past attempts to write for our very own NFL Gridiron Gab, what you may not know is that I moonlight as a football writer. My real job is as a manager for my local Wal Mart. As part of my job I often find myself involved in the personal real life affairs of my co-workers.

One of those situations recently put me into the real life struggle with alcoholism. One of my associates Derek Morris is involved in the everyday battle with the bottle. Derek came to me in private and expressed an emotional outpouring as he relayed to me he had relapsed. This man thought he had gotten one up on the addiction, well one drink led to two drinks and so on and so forth.

I listened to every word wishing some how some way I could take control and fix his problem. When I got and idea, something complety impossable but worth a shoot. I could put this man in a situation where failure would not be an option.

This co-worker is a life long Steelers fan, and he lives and breaths black and yellow.

I remember reading an article somewhere that talked about Steelers great and Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw and his struggles with alcoholism.( I had no idea if these struggles where real.As I do not personally know Terry.) But never the less I remember the article. In my time with this website I have had the opportunity to make connections and I felt it was time to put them to work.

I sent letters to Dan Rooney who, if you are reading this you are already aware is a Steelers institution by himself. I also made contact with Terry Bradshaw. I told both of them of the situation Derek was in and how he is fighting everyday for freedom from this addiction. I ask for nothing but a simple message that I could relay to this man as motivation to continue fighting.

On Saturday June 27th, I came home from work to find an unusual letter in my mailbox, postmarked from a town in Louisiana. I took that letter and made the trip back to my place of work, a place I had just left 15-30 minutes before. I pulled into the parking lot not knowing what to expect, I had shared this mans personal life without his knowledge or permission.

When I walked in and saw Derek I motioned him over to me, so we could talk in private. I told him of what I had done and that I had just received a response. As I was telling him the story of the events that led to that very conversation you could see that he was shaking. He had goose bumps on his arms as I handed him the envelope. He gathered himself and took a quick moment to understand before he opened the letter. The message was clear, Terry Bradshaw understood.

Terry Bradshaw wanted this man to beat this problem. So from this day forward this man is no longer fighting alone, he has help. Mr. Bradshaw enclosed an autographed card, that will act as an everyday reminder. Every time he gets the urge to drink he has to remember that Terry Bradshaw is rooting for him,just like he used to root for Terry. :tt::tt::tt::tt:

I would like to use this article to publicly say Thank You………….. to Terry Bradshaw and the rest of the Steelers organization. Everyone involved in there organization is first class. You took the time to make an impact in someones life. An impact more than you or I could have every imagined.

It’s no wonder that the Pittsburgh Steelers have the most pasonate fans in the land. They are more than just fans, They are Family.

Galax Steeler
07-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Nice read Mesa.

Preacher
07-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Pretty cool. . .

Just have one question. . . why did the guy have to use his employee's name? I sure hope it was a Pseudonymn... or a Suiten . .

WAIT A SECOND....