PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Batch Tells Rookies There's A "100 Percent" Chance Of A Lockout

Galax Steeler
07-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Although NFLPA Executive Director De Smith chose to talk to the 2009 incoming class of rookies not about the status of the Collective Bargaining Agreement but about Shakespeare and Nicholas Sarkozy, we're told that at least one of the other guys who spoke at the Rookie Symposium addressed the issue of labor unrest.

Per a league source, Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch warned the new players that there's a "100 percent" chance of a league-imposed lockout in 2011.

We continue to think there's a chance (albeit less than 100 percent) that the owners are bluffing about their intention to prevent the players from working once the current CBA expires.

If it's a bluff, it's apparently working.

We think it's a bluff in part because of the reality that, unlike the strike years of 1987 and 1982, more than a few owners are carrying significant amounts of debt. Shutting down the games will make it very difficult to make ends meet, especially if the economy hasn't recovered significantly within the next two years.

Meanwhile, Adam Schefter (technically of NFL Network but soon-to-be member of that mom-and-pop operation known as ESPN) writes at his brand-new Twitter page that talks on a new CBA will heat up after July 4.

"NFL planning to visit and educate its teams," Schefter says. "Caution will be preached."

In other words, "The bluff is working. Here's how to keep it up."

And so for the first time as an official member of the NBC family, I can proclaim with confidence . . . "That's what she said."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/01/

steelreserve
07-01-2009, 12:40 PM
For them to actually go through with it and have a lockout would be the most unabashedly stupid outcome possible. Has no one figured out how much worse off everybody is if they don't have a season? Even if they just play one more year with no union and no labor agreement at all, the players and the owners are both still 10 times better off.

Dino 6 Rings
07-01-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm still hopeful its all just smoke and mirrors and won't happen. Its the greatest Sports Product in the world right now, why fck with it?

Rookies need a salary cap. The players make ENOUGH money already. What's the problem?

KeiselPower99
07-01-2009, 01:04 PM
A lockout willhurt everyone. Put a rookie cap in and the problems fixed.

LVSteelersfan
07-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I agree that the rookie cap is the answer. The ridiculous contracts teams have to pay these first rounders amounts to extortion from the players' agents. These players are unproven in the NFL and do not deserve the contracts they get.

fansince'76
07-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Per a league source, Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch warned the new players that there's a "100 percent" chance of a league-imposed lockout in 2011.

DUH.

mulldog24
07-01-2009, 05:06 PM
I agree with installng a rookie cap, rooks are getting too much money as it is before even proving themselves. Then there are some rooks who get big money contracts with lots of guaranteed cash and are total busts.:doh:

fansince'76
07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I agree that the rookie cap is the answer. The ridiculous contracts teams have to pay these first rounders amounts to extortion from the players' agents. These players are unproven in the NFL and do not deserve the contracts they get.

Yeah, but the NFLPA wants to have their cake and eat it too:

As for a rookie salary cap, (DeMaurice) Smith (new NFLPA Director) said it isn't an issue that should be taken up with the players. It's the owners who draft players and decide how much to pay them, Smith said, and asking them to agree to reset a pay scale that teams allowed to grow to these proportions in the first place is something with which the league might have to deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81069e03&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I have ten bucks that if the "league" (owners) does take matters into it's own hands and collectively decides to reduce the rookie pay scale across the board, the NFLPA will scream "collusion!" over it so fast it would make your head spin. And there's no way they're going to agree to conceding any of their current 60% share of the revenues as it is. And considering the blithering idiot who will be spearheading negotiations from management's side (Goodell), it's going to be a giant clusterfook. I wouldn't be surprised if an entire season (or more) is lost and it's all because of greed. And when both sides bitch poverty as a result of it, I for one won't have one iota of sympathy for any of them.

Dino 6 Rings
07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I'd be able to cheer on Scrubs in Black and Gold to beat the snot out of Scrubs in other uniforms. So either agree to terms players or step off the field and let "Scrubs" play in your colors.

KeiselPower99
07-01-2009, 05:43 PM
If they want scrubs in 2011 Im not doing anything.

Preacher
07-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I am all for a lockout if the NFLPA doesn't play ball. They get paid millions to play a child's game.

There are some issues which I agree with them on. The physical wear and tear on their bodies is tremendous, and more should be done through both the league and the NFLPA to help them after retirement. However, take half the salaries the collective rookies make, and put it away for the retirees, and the problem is fixed.

Either next year is capped, or there is no next year.

Galax Steeler
07-02-2009, 08:04 AM
I really think they should put a cap on the rookies. They make way to much to be comming in the leauge there first year.

stlrtruck
07-02-2009, 08:45 AM
If the NFL and NFLPA insist on going through with this, I can only hope that the fans let them hear it loud and clear.

While these issues are ones that have to met and dealt with, the question remains, "At what cost?" Just like when government instills new ideas it's ultimately the average joe, in this case the fan, that gets screwed with higher ticket prices, higher priced gear, etc.

MongoSteeler
07-03-2009, 02:07 AM
Look at this years draft. No one aside from Detroit really wanted to pick in the top ten because of the cost of the rookie and nobody was really interested in trading into the top ten outside of NYJ. Both of those teams are desperate for a QB, but who knows at this point if they found one. They have paid huge guaranted money for the right to try and answer that question with a 3 to 5 year setback if they are wrong. Rookie cap, the obvious solution.

HometownGal
07-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Yeah, but the NFLPA wants to have their cake and eat it too:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81069e03&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I can see the NFLPA hasn't changed over the years. Different cast of characters, same bullshit. No shocker there.

I have ten bucks that if the "league" (owners) does take matters into it's own hands and collectively decides to reduce the rookie pay scale across the board, the NFLPA will scream "collusion!" over it so fast it would make your head spin. And there's no way they're going to agree to conceding any of their current 60% share of the revenues as it is. And considering the blithering idiot who will be spearheading negotiations from management's side (Goodell), it's going to be a giant clusterfook. I wouldn't be surprised if an entire season (or more) is lost and it's all because of greed. And when both sides bitch poverty as a result of it, I for one won't have one iota of sympathy for any of them.

I agree with you 100% here, Gary. It's all about GREED and the almighty dollar. :rolleyes:

Kaeg
07-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I can't see why that at least the bulk of the solution (rookie cap) isn't more apparent to all the people involved here. It's for the good of the game itself, so why can't there be an agreement there? I guess I have to leave that to all the ones who know better than I.