PDA

View Full Version : Multiple states on verge of economic collapse

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 01:46 PM
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Legislators in more than a half-dozen states, their revenues evaporating in the recession, frantically worked to stave off government shutdowns and devastating service cuts. California failed to meet a midnight deadline and now may need to issue IOUs instead of paying bills.

Across the country, lawmakers were feeling the heat as their legislatures began the new fiscal year without a budget in place.

In Illinois, the sputtering drive to come up with a state budget broke down completely Tuesday, leaving the state without any plan for paying its employees or delivering government services. The session ended without any firm plans to return or even for Gov. Pat Quinn and legislative leaders to resume negotiations.

In Pennsylvania, talks between Gov. Ed Rendell and top legislators ended Tuesday night with no substantial progress, aides said. Rendell said he didn't think an agreement would come soon. The state faces the prospect of not being able to pay state employees if they cannot resolve an impasse.

Arizona, Indiana, Ohio, Connecticut and Mississippi also were among the other states that raced against the clock to pass budgets _ and avoid crippling consequences

Ohio on Tuesday passed a seven-day spending plan that will allow the state to keep operating while talks continue, the first temporary budget Ohio has been forced to approve in 18 years. On Wednesday, the House was considering a second seven-day budget to give lawmakers more time.

Indiana narrowly averted a large-scale government shutdown after coming to terms on a budget.

Mississippi lawmakers approved most of the $6 billion budget, but left one agency _ the state's utility regulatory agency _ unfunded. The Public Service Commission said it didn't know how the agency would continue to function, but Gov. Haley Barbour has said he can run the agency by executive order.

In Connecticut, Gov. M. Jodi Rell signed an executive order to keep the government running without a two-year budget in place. While she contends the average taxpayer won't notice any change, municipal officials fear delays in state grants that fund everything from road repairs to education.

In the wee hours Wednesday, the Arizona Legislature completed action on budget bills to implement most of a compromise $8.4 billion budget negotiated with Gov. Jan Brewer. Lawmakers omitted a sales tax increase that Brewer wanted, and her spokesman declined to say if she would sign the bills.

In Pennsylvania, state workers will receive only partial pay on July 17 and July 24, after which paychecks will be withheld entirely until the impasse is solved. They will then be paid retroactively.

Rendell said 10 banks and credit unions have agreed to help 69,000 state employees by offering them low- or no-interest loans and lines of credit.

In most states, the debate centers around whether states should be raising taxes to bridge the budget gaps. California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said he wouldn't sign anything that raised taxes or fees beyond what he has already proposed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/01/california-misses-deadlin_n_223684.html

------------------------------------------

Obama's fault!

MACH1
07-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Obaama's going to bail out cali, then watch as the rest of the states get in line. And here you thought you'd have some money left over after payday. Change we can believe in.

They'll start bailing out states and that will put the state under the government thumb just like the banks, gm and chrysler.

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 02:58 PM
You notice all those state govt's are begging to raise more taxes to keep their pockets full.

WE have no state sales tax and things are running fine.

HometownGal
07-01-2009, 03:29 PM
In Pennsylvania, talks between Gov. Ed Rendell and top legislators ended Tuesday night with no substantial progress, aides said. Rendell said he didn't think an agreement would come soon. The state faces the prospect of not being able to pay state employees if they cannot resolve an impasse.

In Pennsylvania, state workers will receive only partial pay on July 17 and July 24, after which paychecks will be withheld entirely until the impasse is solved. They will then be paid retroactively.

Rendell said 10 banks and credit unions have agreed to help 69,000 state employees by offering them low- or no-interest loans and lines of credit.

Gee - what a shocker. :rolleyes: NOT.

They'll just increase the cigarette tax again. :jerkit:

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Feds are taking over - Nationalize everything!

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The California governor's office says federal officials are threatening to seize six state parks if they are closed to help balance the state's budget.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has proposed closing 220 state parks.

But the National Park Service warned in a letter to Schwarzenegger that six of those parks are on former federal land that could revert to the U.S. government if they are not kept open as parks

tony hipchest
07-01-2009, 06:46 PM
i thought huffington post articles were not allowed. :noidea:

talk about a double slap in the face. (especially considering all the banks who have been bailed out and are sitting on their bailout money).

im guessing the state wont be paying interest on the retroactive pay?

revefsreleets
07-02-2009, 08:50 AM
This is an easy one, and requires some common sense (which means my solution will NEVER be enacted!).

Take the percentage of the budget that your state is over (say, In Ohio's case, it's 8%). Do a simple, across the board cut of 8% in EVERY department. In any government office, I'd say you probably have about 30% TOO many workers doing too little work. Then do temporary lay-offs of however many people you need to do in each department to make up the shortage.

Now, if we had some time, I'd say an auditor could probably come in and find ways to save 30-40% in each and every department, as the government is a model of inefficiency, and it's entrenched inefficiency. However, we don't have time for that, not to mention the fact that the government has become this countries largest employer, so this would create a dramatic spike in unemployment.

beSteelmyheart
07-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Maybe California could quit cutting checks to ghetto girls who ride around in new Cadillacs with their 3 inch nail manicured hands hanging out of the window during normal working hours kind of thing while honest people are busy trying to make a living paying for their $1000.00plus 1 bedroom apartments in that horrible effing state. No wonder they are broke, I wish they would break right off into the ocean, I have NO sympathy for California or anyone living there. None. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. It's a beautiful state but the mentality there made me sick.

Preacher
07-02-2009, 08:41 PM
The funny thing about living here in California, is that everyone wants to pay no tax, but want all the govt. benefits.

it is unbelievable. Then, try to get a straight answer from the govt. on something. There is no one you can call. No one you can speak to, no one that can give you an answer.

it is an absolute joke.

Then everything is regulated... If they would simply cut HALF the regulations and the jobs of those who run those offices, my suspicion is that we would be out of debt in six months.

Godfather
07-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the tax rate in Pennsylvania these days?

X-Terminator
07-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the tax rate in Pennsylvania these days?

Right now it's 3.07%. Rendell wants to "temporarily" raise it to 3.5%, but so far, no go. Nobody wants taxes raised here, and who can blame them? This state isn't called Taxylvania for nothing.

revefsreleets
07-03-2009, 08:39 AM
I have no problem having my taxes raised....IF it's still needed after my state opens their books to a private outside auditor and makes all the recommended cuts. If they still need my money, they can have it...

HometownGal
07-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Right now it's 3.07%. Rendell wants to "temporarily" raise it to 3.5%, but so far, no go. Nobody wants taxes raised here, and who can blame them? This state isn't called Taxylvania for nothing.

You know as well as I do that nothing in Taxylvania is "temporary", unfortunately. I can't wait until Eddie the Hut is outta here in less than 6 months.

Godfather
07-03-2009, 12:04 PM

Y'all are lucky. It's 5% here. We also have a 7% sales tax on everything including necessities like groceries, pharmaceuticals, etc. And our numbnuts POS governor is adamantly against tax cuts because we "can't afford" them :banging:

X-Terminator
07-03-2009, 02:21 PM
You know as well as I do that nothing in Taxylvania is "temporary", unfortunately. I can't wait until Eddie the Hut is outta here in less than 6 months.

Of course, and I laughed when I heard about it on the radio. If they ever raised that tax, it would never, ever get lowered, and everyone knows it. I'm just counting down the days until Fat Boy can go back to Killadelphia and singlehandedly prop up the cheesesteak business.

Y'all are lucky. It's 5% here. We also have a 7% sales tax on everything including necessities like groceries, pharmaceuticals, etc. And our numbnuts POS governor is adamantly against tax cuts because we "can't afford" them :banging:

Oh God...people in this state would riot if they ever raised the income tax to 5%. Allegheny and Philadelphia Counties are paying 7% sales tax; the rest of PA 6%. And it's not on everything, just what they consider "non-perishable goods." It does not apply to necessities like clothing, groceries and some pharmaceuticals, so we're lucky there. There was some talk about taxing everything, but it was quickly and decisively shot down before it was even proposed.

So if your state income tax is 5% and your state sales tax on damn near everything is 7%...how the hell can the governor cry "broke" when it comes to cutting taxes? Mississippi has about 30% of the population of PA, for crying out loud, so expenses can't be that much. Isn't your Governor Haley Barbour, the former head of the RNC? You'd think he'd be for tax cuts.

Godfather
07-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Of course, and I laughed when I heard about it on the radio. If they ever raised that tax, it would never, ever get lowered, and everyone knows it. I'm just counting down the days until Fat Boy can go back to Killadelphia and singlehandedly prop up the cheesesteak business.

Oh God...people in this state would riot if they ever raised the income tax to 5%. Allegheny and Philadelphia Counties are paying 7% sales tax; the rest of PA 6%. And it's not on everything, just what they consider "non-perishable goods." It does not apply to necessities like clothing, groceries and some pharmaceuticals, so we're lucky there. There was some talk about taxing everything, but it was quickly and decisively shot down before it was even proposed.

So if your state income tax is 5% and your state sales tax on damn near everything is 7%...how the hell can the governor cry "broke" when it comes to cutting taxes? Mississippi has about 30% of the population of PA, for crying out loud, so expenses can't be that much. Isn't your Governor Haley Barbour, the former head of the RNC? You'd think he'd be for tax cuts.

Yep, unfortunately Haley is the governor of the state I live in. I don't like to call him my governor though.

Mississippi hasn't cut taxes of any kind since the mid-1990s. Haley has not only fought nail and tooth against tax cuts, but also tried to get the Lege to pass a massive tax on hospital beds. He's also corrupt beyond belief, something that unfortunately gets ignored in the press. He steered a lot of federal Katrina money to firms owned by his friends and relatives.

He's so bad that I would not only trade him for Fat Eddie, I would let Pennsylvania take Rep. Gene Taylor to make up for it.

X-Terminator
07-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Yep, unfortunately Haley is the governor of the state I live in. I don't like to call him my governor though.

Mississippi hasn't cut taxes of any kind since the mid-1990s. Haley has not only fought nail and tooth against tax cuts, but also tried to get the Lege to pass a massive tax on hospital beds. He's also corrupt beyond belief, something that unfortunately gets ignored in the press. He steered a lot of federal Katrina money to firms owned by his friends and relatives.

He's so bad that I would not only trade him for Fat Eddie, I would let Pennsylvania take Rep. Gene Taylor to make up for it.

Yes, I've heard about how bad things are down there and how horrible Barbour has been as governor. Hard to believe that this guy was one of the most powerful Republicans in the country. It also goes to show that not all Republicans are fiscally conservative and in fact love taxes and spending as much as most Democrats do.

SteelersinCA
07-03-2009, 09:09 PM
You guys have taxes easy, try a 9.3% income tax rate and an 8.75% sales tax. My state is still broke dick poor, go figure. http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_statetaxrate_CA.html

Godfather
07-03-2009, 09:21 PM
You guys have taxes easy, try a 9.3% income tax rate and an 8.75% sales tax. My state is still broke dick poor, go figure. http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_statetaxrate_CA.html

Gee, it almost seems like putting a crushing tax burden on the working and middle classes will make a state go bust.

X-Terminator
07-03-2009, 10:07 PM

And that, of course, is why people and businesses are leaving the state in droves, and why the state is broke-dick poor. It also doesn't help to have complete idiots in government, as my friend in LA always points out. No wonder Ah-nold wants out. I'm surprised he isn't in a straitjacket yet.

SteelersinCA
07-04-2009, 02:24 AM
There are idiots in government everywhere, we just have more of them.At least Arnold stuck to his guns and didn't let the Assembly raise taxes. He sure is catching a lot of shit for it, amazing how mob mentality turns the smartest people into window lickers.

Godfather
07-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Yes, I've heard about how bad things are down there and how horrible Barbour has been as governor. Hard to believe that this guy was one of the most powerful Republicans in the country. It also goes to show that not all Republicans are fiscally conservative and in fact love taxes and spending as much as most Democrats do.

Hey, how did you know about his real record? He's done a great job of managing his national image.

X-Terminator
07-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey, how did you know about his real record? He's done a great job of managing his national image.

Some of the things have been leaked a bit in the media, but they were only fleeting. I clearly remember reading about them, though - especially his proposed tax on hospital beds and the siphoning of Katrina money to his corporate buddies. I believe there were people from the left trying to nab him on ethics charges as well when he was the head of the RNC - could be wrong there, though. I did not know he didn't support cutting taxes, though.

Godfather
07-04-2009, 12:46 PM
I believe there were people from the left trying to nab him on ethics charges as well when he was the head of the RNC - could be wrong there, though.

Yep. Fred Thompson dug up an elaborate money-laundering scam Haley was running to hide the fact that he took money from Red China. That's why Trent Lott and Mitch McConnell put the kibosh on the investigation.

X-Terminator
07-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Yep. Fred Thompson dug up an elaborate money-laundering scam Haley was running to hide the fact that he took money from Red China. That's why Trent Lott and Mitch McConnell put the kibosh on the investigation.

Yeah, I thought so, and Lott ended up resigning his Senate seat over it. Barbour is as corrupt as they come, and why the Republicans hail him as some sort of "god" is beyond me.

Godfather
07-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I thought so, and Lott ended up resigning his Senate seat over it. Barbour is as corrupt as they come, and why the Republicans hail him as some sort of "god" is beyond me.

Not sure there was a connection. Too much time in between.

The official story is Lott quit to cash in as a lobbyist before the new ethics rules kicked in. Rumor I heard on another board was Mukasey gave him a quit-or-be-indicted deal. Lott's brother in law, Richard Scruggs, was the top trial lawyer in the state and went to federal prison for bribing judges.