PDA

View Full Version : We are so fat

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 02:17 PM
For the fifth consecutive year, Mississippi topped the list as the fattest state, with a third of its adults overweight or obese. Mississippi also has the highest rate of obese and overweight children — 44.4 percent.

Three other states have adult obesity rates above 30 percent: Alabama, West Virginia and Tennessee.
Eight of the 10 states with the worst adult obesity rates are in the South, the report says.

http://www.treehugger.com/obesity-usa.jpg

A new report, F as in Fat, says Texas ranks 14th in the nation — in how fat its adults are.

In the same report, the state had the 20th highest rate of overweight youths, ages 10 to 17, at 32.2 percent.

“In 1991, no state had an obesity rate above 20 percent,” a summary of the report says.
“In 1980, the national average for adult obesity was 15 percent.”

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/health/entries/2009/07/01/were_fat_and_were_not_losing_a.html

--------------------------

Time for a Fat Tax!

MACH1
07-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Miss Mississippi

http://images.fok.nl/upload/070722_3926_Fat%20Bikini.jpg

:chuckle:

fansince'76
07-01-2009, 02:31 PM
It's all good - if cap and trade goes through, we won't be able to afford food anymore (except maybe Ramen, but really, who eats that shit?). All our money will then be going towards utilities. Problem solved! Change we can believe in! :thumbsup:

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Along with fat tax - we install fat zones around supermarkets - more than 20% overweight you must park at least 50 parking spots away from entrances.

Then again...

People get fatter as ocean waters rise? - that's evolution!
People with more body fat will float and survive as skinny people sink.

Adapt or die - that is the way of this world.

HometownGal
07-01-2009, 03:36 PM
We're kind of in the middle here in PA, which is shocking considering the number of pierogies, Roethlisburgers and Primanti sammiches consumed here (especially in the Burgh) on a daily basis. :yummy: :chuckle:

Fat is unacceptable to me when there are so many resources available out there to help get rid of the glob. :shake02: Eating a little less with a little daily exercise aint rocket science.

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Allow me to climb the soap box.

I've noticed that those we considered "fat kids" when I was young are only plump by today's standards. And there are so many more fat children now.

I put it down to the processed, unnecessarily sweetened food that children are fed today, as well as the lack of exercise that everyone misses out on....and adults are setting the bad example.

Think of all the "comfort" foods: twinkies, cookies, crackers, snak pack, chips, etc, etc. Kids LIVE on that stuff these days. Row after row, gas stations, quickie marts - everywhere.

Fast food: most is starches and sugar (fries, buns, soda, pies, etc), what little veggies are basically garbage scraps. The meat is factory engineered and processed. 10 fast food joints within a mile.

And we wonder why we have obesity?

I don't eat any of that crap. I get my fat the old fashioned way - beer.

Dino 6 Rings
07-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Arkansas we eats LOTS of BBQ. Sorry but back in the day, being Plump was a sign of Wealth. it meant you were doing good enough financially to Eat Good.

Skinny people in Colorado eating their Tofu...don't impress me.

Montana folk are so skinny cause they have to still HUNT their own food.

And UTAH, well when you have 8 Wives and 29 Children, you all tend to eat less than average.

Texasteel
07-01-2009, 04:35 PM
We're kind of in the middle here in PA, which is shocking considering the number of pierogies, Roethlisburgers and Primanti sammiches consumed here (especially in the Burgh) on a daily basis. :yummy: :chuckle:

Fat is unacceptable to me when there are so many resources available out there to help get rid of the glob. :shake02: Eating a little less with a little daily exercise aint rocket science.

To much fast foods, and people that don't want to cook anymore. Its just to easy to stop on the way home and pick up something quick, and the only exercises most of our kids get are on the X-Box.

Godfather
07-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I can tell you for sure the Gulf Coast isn't where the Mississippi lardasses are. I don't even see a 33% adult obesity rate at Wal-Mart, and my nieces' preschool doesn't have any obese kids. A couple chubbies but no off the charts fatties.

Killer raises a good point. George Will wrote a column a couple months ago about how our farm policies are contributing to the problem--federal farm policy leads to overproduction of corn, a lot of which becomes dirt cheap high fructose corn syrup.

Personally, I think your body fat percentage should also be your income tax rate. And that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I weigh 145 pounds, I swear!!

MasterOfPuppets
07-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Allow me to climb the soap box.

I've noticed that those we considered "fat kids" when I was young are only plump by today's standards. And there are so many more fat children now.

I put it down to the processed, unnecessarily sweetened food that children are fed today, as well as the lack of exercise that everyone misses out on....and adults are setting the bad example.

Think of all the "comfort" foods: twinkies, cookies, crackers, snak pack, chips, etc, etc. Kids LIVE on that stuff these days. Row after row, gas stations, quickie marts - everywhere.

Fast food: most is starches and sugar (fries, buns, soda, pies, etc), what little veggies are basically garbage scraps. The meat is factory engineered and processed. 10 fast food joints within a mile.

And we wonder why we have obesity?

I don't eat any of that crap. I get my fat the old fashioned way - beer.

not to mention instead of actually leaving your house to go outside and play sports, they now sit in thier bedroom and play them on a tv screen. :doh:

Dino 6 Rings
07-01-2009, 04:42 PM
I pay Fat Taxes everytime I purchase the Better Cut of Steak!

Heck yeah. Give me the expensive cut so I can gorge myself on the good stuff while the poor skinny folks eat wheat bread and tofu.

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Personally, I think your body fat percentage should also be your income tax rate. And that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I weigh 145 pounds, I swear!!

I hate skinny people too.

Godfather
07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
If you calculate the size of the average resident, Tennessee is the fattest state. But that's due to the presence of a certain Titans running back.

Hammer67
07-01-2009, 05:16 PM
I attribute this to lazy parents not forcing their kids into activity...video games and TV are too easy

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
There are some benefits to a fat rich diet.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/fcolunga/cheerleader/interview.jpg

beSteelmyheart
07-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I attribute this to lazy parents not forcing their kids into activity...video games and TV are too easy

I agree.
When I was a kid in the 70's, there just weren't alot of fat kids at all & we were outside playing all the time-any chance we got. Also there wasn't alot of the processed quickie foods back then , either....women actually knew how to cook. I hear alot lately about young women just not knowing how to cook a good meal & that in itself is a shame. A good meal is not hamburgher helper or macaroni & cheese & fish sticks (emergency food in my book)
Our culture has just gotten lazier & lazier & the TV, games & whatever else have become "babysitters" & a substitute for poor parenting.