PDA

View Full Version : Heath Miller may become a cap casualty

spartanburgsteeler75
07-02-2009, 10:52 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-14024-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Examiner~y2009m7d1-Steelers-TE-Miller-may-become-a-salarycap-casualty

Webster’s Dictionary definition of a luxury: Something adding to pleasure or comfort but not absolutely necessary.

When it comes to the issue of keeping tight end Heath Miller, the Steelers are faced with this question… Is signing Miller necessary?

He is one of the most underrated tight ends in the NFL. His size (6’5”) mixed with his soft hands and good speed makes him a nice target for any quarterback. Unfortunately for the salary-cap strapped Steelers, it also makes him a hot commodity on the free-agent market.

Miller, drafted in 2005 out of the University of Virginia, is in the last year of a five year contract and can test the free agent waters once the 2009-2010 season comes to an end. This could change slightly if a new collective bargaining agreement isn’t reached in which case Miller wouldn’t become a free agent until after the 2010-2011 season.

The problems with retaining Miller’s services are many.

The Steelers are quickly nearing the maximum amount of money they can spend within the salary-cap structure. This comes after agreeing to lucrative contracts with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and linebacker James Harrison in the past year.

Along with Miller, the team must also decide on whether they want to try to keep nose tackle Casey Hampton, defensive end Brett Keisel, free safety Ryan Clark, and cornerbacks William Gay (pictured right) and Deshea Townsend, all of who will be free agents after this season.

Hampton and Keisel are both over 30 but Steelers coaches are adamant that they can still be effective. Townsend is turning 35, but is a valuable back-up. Gay, drafted in 2007, will likely be a starter this year after the departure of Bryant McFadden and could command a high salary with a solid season. Clark is also a solid player who has great chemistry with strong safety Troy Polamalu and will likely want a raise on his 1.6 million dollar per year rate

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes will be looking for an extension soon as well.

Unless the Steelers decide to let a couple of these key players relocate, or they take a discount (which is not likely), there will not be enough cap space available to sign Miller.

Also consider this:

- Miller had only three touchdowns last year despite being a huge red zone threat.

- He caught his most balls as a pro last season with 58 catches, but his reception and yardage totals did not even rank in the top 10 out of all NFL tight ends.

- He has never made a pro-bowl.

It’s true he does bring more qualities to the table other than receiving, such as being a solid blocker and the ability to open up room for other receivers. But is he important enough for the Steelers to dish out big money while they let others go?

There's no doubt Heath Miller is a valuable piece of the offense but he’s not irreplaceable. Matt Spaeth is a capable replacement. This is a team that historically does not use the tight end very much so why pay him big money when it could go towards signing other key players?

Miller may not be a luxury the Steelers can afford.

NOTES: Kicker Jeff Reed and running back Willie Parker will also be free-agents at season's end.

Author: Daniel Flickinger
Daniel Flickinger is an Examiner from Pittsburgh. You can see Daniel's articles on Daniel's Home Page.

mmalone
07-02-2009, 11:13 AM
arians is a TE freak, we will sign him and all the other TE's

J Dogg
07-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Interesting note at the end that Parker will be a FA soon. I think it's safe to say that he'll be thanked for his services and sent on his way.

Fire Haley
07-02-2009, 11:19 AM
"Is signing Miller necessary?"

YES!

Next question.

Galax Steeler
07-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I hope we can resign Miller. I think he is more important to us than the article stated.

fansince'76
07-02-2009, 11:34 AM
He is one of the most underrated tight ends in the NFL. His size (6’5”) mixed with his soft hands and good speed makes him a nice target for any quarterback. Unfortunately for the salary-cap strapped Steelers, it also makes him a hot commodity on the free-agent market.

- Miller had only three touchdowns last year despite being a huge red zone threat.

- He caught his most balls as a pro last season with 58 catches, but his reception and yardage totals did not even rank in the top 10 out of all NFL tight ends.

Way to contradict yourself, buddy! :applaudit:

Matt Spaeth is a capable replacement.

This guy's credibility: shot to shit by this statement.

mmalone
07-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Way to contradict yourself, buddy! :applaudit:

This guy's credibility: shot to shit by this statement.

Can Spaeth even catch a ball in the clutch situation??

fansince'76
07-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Can Spaeth even catch a ball in the clutch situation??

We already know Spaeth's a liability as far as blocking goes, and Miller excels at it. Spaeth is NOT a suitable replacement for Miller, he's a downgrade in every respect.

Galax Steeler
07-02-2009, 11:43 AM
We already know Spaeth's a liability as far as blocking goes, and Miller excels at it. Spaeth is NOT a suitable replacement for Miller, he's a downgrade in every respect.

Spaeth wouldn't even come close to replacing Miller. There is a difference in them like night and day.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-02-2009, 11:54 AM
I can't believe that so many dumbasses get paid to write these absurd articles.

revefsreleets
07-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Spaeth can catch, but he can't block...at least not in the same league as Miller.

Not making the Pro Bowl means nothing...that's a popularity contest and, at TE, it's all about receptions. I think Miller has a choice. Stay, and get a reasonable bump in pay, or go off into the unknown and play for a team that might throw the ball a little more his way but probably lose a lot of games along the way.

SteelMember
07-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Gotta find a way to keep Miller. No doubt about it. His is just another story that "the numbers" can't tell.

Some of the comments on the link seem familiar...
dennisonschili says:
They need to keep him. Unfortunately he is the best offensive lineman they have.
July 2, 8:28 AM

others seem pretty funny
Aiman says:
the reason he doesnt get alot of catches is because he deals with double coverage half the time.
July 1, 11:52 PM

SteelersMongol
07-02-2009, 12:13 PM
We DO NEED Miller!

Dino 6 Rings
07-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Who do you dump to keep Miller though? Clark? Gay? Hampton? Keisel?

J Dogg
07-02-2009, 12:30 PM
You do you dump to keep Miller though? Clark? Gay? Hampton? Keisel?

Exactly.

People don't think these things through sometimes.

mmalone
07-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Exactly.

are you guys kidding.....

pick a few to go...

83 Miller, Heath TE 6-5 256 10/22/82 5 Virginia
89 Spaeth, Matt TE 6-7 270 11/24/84 3 Minnesota
85 Johnson, David TE 6-2 260 8/26/87 R Arkansas State
84 Sherrod, Dezmond TE 6-2 250 5/11/85 1 Mississippi State
49 McHugh, Sean TE 6-5 265 5/27/82 6

revefsreleets
07-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Hampton. He's getting older. He'll be 33. He'll command top dollar in a 3-4 happy league, and someone will overpay him. You can pretty much kiss big Snack goodbye.

fansince'76
07-02-2009, 12:57 PM

Particularly the author of the blog quoted in the OP.

steelreserve
07-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Matt Spaeth is a capable replacement.

Are you shitting me? Spaeth is about the most awkward S.O.B. on the field. When he manages to get open and catch a pass, he doesn't even try to turn and run; he just backpedals down the field for a couple steps, cringing in anticipation of a big hit. They've got to do better than that.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure they can sign Miller with the money they'll save by letting Parker go. Also, Kiesel strikes me as the second coming of Kimo von Oelhoeffen -- good but hardly irreplaceable -- and we may let him and his $5M walk too. This is not going to be an issue.

Psyychoward86
07-02-2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-14024-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Examiner~y2009m7d1-Steelers-TE-Miller-may-become-a-salarycap-casualty

Also consider this:

Because of course stats are a pinpoint accurate means of measuring a player :rolleyes:

Busforever
07-02-2009, 01:48 PM
I think Hampton and Keisel are older and will be easier to replace than Miller. I think Miller is the best TE in the NFL, one of the few "total package" guys. And humble.

BlastFurnace
07-02-2009, 01:49 PM
No way...no how...does Heath not get resigned.

The biggest fish in the pond coming up for the Steelers are Woodley, Miller, Holmes, and Reed.

I would rather lose Keisel and Hampton than lose Miller.

What concerns me about Gay is this...he is going to play CB in a defense that is pretty darned good...which will drive up his salary whether or not he is a star or not. I'm not saying that Gay won't be a star, but the Steelers will be careful how much they give him because he will only be a 1 year starter and may get a lot of money from someone else that we can't and should not match.

I still believe that Parker will be gone after this season. Hate to see him leave, but I just don't see how we can keep him around if the money gets too high.

HughC
07-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I can't believe that so many dumbasses get paid to write these absurd articles.

Keep in mind that the Examiner is like Bleacher Report; almost anybody that wants to write a column for either site can go ahead and do so. Technically the Examiner does indeed 'pay' its writers and you have to 'apply', but the pay is nowhere near enough to live on; it's just a few extra bucks at the end of the month based on web hits.

In other words a person writing for the Examiner or Bleacher Report is more likely to have more in common with a blogger who posts columns from mom's basement than a writer for a newspaper, national magazine, or a television network's website.

43Hitman
07-02-2009, 02:42 PM
If it's between Willie and Heath, I take Heath.

If it's between Kiesel and Heath, I take Heath.

If it's between Hampton and Heath, I take Heath.

If it's between all of the above and Heath, I still take Heath.

steelreserve
07-02-2009, 02:47 PM
I would rather lose Keisel and Hampton than lose Miller.

Definitely right, although I bet we can keep at least one of them. When Kiesel was out early this year for several games, we didn't miss a beat. And Hoke was able to fill in for Hampton pretty effectively, plus I saw him playing end for a while as well. Add to that the fact that we may already have the replacement for one or the other of them in Hood, and I don't see both Hampton and Kiesel being brought back for big money.

What concerns me about Gay is this...he is going to play CB in a defense that is pretty darned good...which will drive up his salary whether or not he is a star or not. I'm not saying that Gay won't be a star, but the Steelers will be careful how much they give him because he will only be a 1 year starter and may get a lot of money from someone else that we can't and should not match.

I'm guessing that's why we drafted two CBs this year; we don't spend a lot on corners compared to a lot of teams. The question to me is, when their contracts are up, will we make Gay the well-paid veteran alongside a young but talented guy (and let Taylor go), or do we extend Taylor at a hefty salary and replace Gay with a young star? We probably won't give both of them big bucks, so we'll have to rotate one of them out to the Redskins.

fansince'76
07-02-2009, 02:48 PM
In other words a person writing for the Examiner or Bleacher Report is more likely to have more in common with a blogger who posts columns from mom's basement than a writer for a newspaper, national magazine, or a television network's website.

Yep, they're a lot closer to a Tim Lumber than a Pat Kirwan. I really like the ones that are literally riddled with misspellings and grammatical errors.

Psyychoward86
07-02-2009, 03:24 PM
heath at all costs!!!

Preacher
07-02-2009, 04:19 PM
This is simple.

We drafted a D Lineman to replace an aging lineman, not a TE. Keisel will probably be gone, unless he takes a big cut.

Willie P. has a much better chance of staying than Keisel does. I like Keisel, but IMO, those are the numbers.

revefsreleets
07-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Does anyone actually think we are going to make an offer to Hampton? At age 33?

Preacher
07-02-2009, 04:26 PM

Maybe... I think age at that position isn't as important as well... weight? :chuckle:

Problem is, Hoke is the same age. Unless Ziggy can take over that position instead, I think we extend Hampton's contract and he retires with us.

MasterOfPuppets
07-02-2009, 04:38 PM

they certainly didn't do much that would indicate he was going to be replaced. ... i'd love to see them land boo robinson from clemson in the next draft.

steelreserve
07-02-2009, 04:43 PM

I think linemen can play a lot longer before their age catches up with them. I mean, it's not like Hampton had any speed to begin with, so as long as he can keep shoving people around and his knees hold up, he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-02-2009, 04:58 PM
I think we'll be letting Keisel walk after this season while Ziggy takes over for him at the end spot. Keisel is replaceable, he is average, IMHO.

Depending on how Mendenhall does this season, Parker could be given his walking papers. If Mendenhall plays well, he will take some of Willie's carries. But even if he doesn't hit 1000 yards, people will know if it's because of declined skills or taken carries. So he could demand a decent sized contract in FA.

I think we will resign Miller. He's a very big (and talented) target for Big Ben...not to mention he is a good blocker. He's a ig part of the offense, even if his stats don't say so.

I also see is resigning Clark. I think he'll take a bit of a discount to stay in Pittsburgh and play for Super Bowls rather than go somewhere for bigger money and play for a sucky team.

tucker6
07-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Miller is Ben's security blanket when the chips are down. Ben will have much to say about this with mngt when the time comes.

Riddle_Of_Steel
07-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Miller is Ben's security blanket when the chips are down.

Exactly!! His stats might not rank in the upper tier of all Tes in the NFL, but aside from Ward, he is the most reliable set of hands we have to catch passes downfield.

wootawnee
07-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Keisel is black and gold........He would play here for free.....He is going to stay no matter what he has to do.......

Big Snack is great at the interior run but does not rush the passer.......He only gets after the qb when someone pisses him off(remeber "HOLD THIS"?.lol that was awesome)........When Hokie Pokie is in there he gets after the qb fast as any intierior lineman.....We need that extra pass rusher......In 04 Hokie started most of the season and he was awesome.....Yea he is what 33? but we need a nose tackle that can get after the qb more than big snack.....I think we will find one in the next couple of drafts......

We gotta sign Clark.......He is playing so well with Troy.....That illness he experienced really turned a light on in there somewhere and made him part of the man he is today.....That was tough.......

Everybody loves Heath.......Isn't he Ben's bunk buddie on the road?......I love how he plays.......Totally old school......Chuck Noll would have loved to coach him....
I love how he just stares and is ready to go in the huddle after he made a play.......What is the deal with the spot though?.......That thing is cool......

Gay is unproven for a whole consistant season......He has to do that this year so we will see......

Reed.......Come on are you joking........We need this prankster around.......He could be any one of us walking around down on the south side any given friday night.......Plus he got loads of experience kicking on the toughest field in the league.......

Willie.........Well running backs are the first to slow down.......And he definately will.......His low ranking skills as a pass receiver cut into his aging in the league.......Runnig backs can hang around if they can catch the ball cause you do not have to charge out there to run all the patterns.....They can tiptoe out on most of them........I can't call this one and I just feel that we need great receiving running backs for where this offense is going.......

Deshea.....If he wants to play for a year or so more he will sign for something.......It is great having him around when he is not on the field........He is like a coach and helps out alot with the young guys.......He won the Dallas game remember........That was HARDCORE.........

Did I forget any one?..........Good luck with the numbers........:tt02::champs::champs:

ricksteelers55
07-03-2009, 03:41 AM
Easy to answer....we have replacement for all the players except Heath,Ryan Clark and Jeff Reed so we need to sign em 3

-Hoke can step up and start until we find someone to replace him in a couple of years

-Hood will have a year to learn the scheme and then will be able to step up to take Keisel's place

-Memo has shown that he can do willie's job so willie is a goner also(+ Mendenhall might seal the deal if he's playing decently)

Bottom line is they havent address TE early in the drafts so no need to say that Miller will stay.+ with the upcoming uncapped year he will be a RFA so no need to see that we will at least have the right to match any other offers if he doesnt re-sign til then.

Ryan Clark is a no-brainer also,we have no replacement as of right now,Mundy looks promising but he still hasnt play a single down in regular season.We let Smith walk and we didnt draft any or sign any,no need to say that he will be back

Jeff Reed is a must, I think I'd even put him before Clark in priorities.We have our Kicker on who we can count on....it's not the moment to let him walk and try to find another one.

1-Sign Heath
2-Sign Jeff Reed
3-Sign Ryan Clark

we can let the rest walk....i dont mind we already have decent replacements

mulldog24
07-03-2009, 09:34 AM
:blah::blah::blah:.....:coffee:We need Miller he is Key to our offense and I have every confidence in the FO that we will keep him. Spaeth a replacement for Miller:toofunny:

Kaeg
07-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Heath first and foremost. Clark, to me is a very close second.

Vincent
07-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Heath Miller is a Steeler. Period. They'll sign him this summer.

revefsreleets
07-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Hampton is a Pro Bowler. He's a high profile player. He's going to want big money and he's going to want several years (my guess is 5), and someone will give it to him.

But it won't be the Steelers.

Curtain_of_Steel
07-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Miller had only 3 td's last season?

Very hard to catch the dam ball when your the only guy on the O-line who can block a def player, now isn't it?
Heath may have lined up more to block than lining up for passing routes.

I can not see how they will not sign him.

Men of Steel
07-03-2009, 10:48 AM
hmm... i wonder if Big Bens opinion counts as to weather or not keep Heath on the team...
(big ben wanted a taller receiver... he got one.)
(if he wants to keep heath bet ur ass the FO will do anythin to re-sign him.. Bens opinion matters a great deal.. .more than most ppl know)

hmm... i wonder if Big Ben would even want Heath on an offense... i mean... all he really does is just block better than half of our O-Line... constantly bail Big Ben out of situations... is a tremendous 3rd down target and has the smooothest hands any Steeler TE has ever had... and hes is a True Steeler.

hmm.. i wonder if Coach T would prefer to release him... based on the assertion that he is a "UN-NECESSARY LUXURY" we cant afford or dish out money for.:coffee:

get real... :banging:

steelreserve
07-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Hampton is a Pro Bowler. He's a high profile player. He's going to want big money and he's going to want several years (my guess is 5), and someone will give it to him.

But it won't be the Steelers.

He's already making $6.5M when you factor in the signing bonus from this contract. Reliable as he's been, I really don't see him getting significantly more than that, because he's already well-paid and he's getting up there in years.

And if he tries to negotiate a five-year contract, he'll really be negotiating a three-year contract with two throwaway years, because I don't care who you are, your chances of playing until you're 38 are close to nil. Unless you're a kicker, and I just don't see Casey switching positions like that.

Preacher
07-03-2009, 04:57 PM
He's already making $6.5M when you factor in the signing bonus from this contract. Reliable as he's been, I really don't see him getting significantly more than that, because he's already well-paid and he's getting up there in years.

And if he tries to negotiate a five-year contract, he'll really be negotiating a three-year contract with two throwaway years, because I don't care who you are, your chances of playing until you're 38 are close to nil. Unless you're a kicker, and I just don't see Casey switching positions like that.

You wouldn't BELIEVE the mental picture I just had :rofl:

Indo
07-03-2009, 05:13 PM
The other question about Heath is the "Steeler Factor"

Will he take a cut ( or, at least, not demand More $$$) in order to remain a Steeler?

We all know that Hines wants to be a Steeler Forever. Does Heath want to retire in the Back and Gold?

As Rod Woodson recently said at the Rookie Thing----"Money or Legacy"

Where does Heath stand?

Indo
07-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Unless you're a kicker, and I just don't see Casey switching positions like that.

You wouldn't BELIEVE the mental picture I just had :rofl:

:laughing:

I Got the Same Mental Picture!

I would pay BIG BUCKS to see him kicking!

Psyychoward86
07-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Miller had only 3 td's last season?

Very hard to catch the dam ball when your the only guy on the O-line who can block a def player, now isn't it?
Heath may have lined up more to block than lining up for passing routes.

I can not see how they will not sign him.

We did use him a lot more to block than as another receiver. Imagine how many more times Ben would've gotten sacked if we didnt have an "extra man" (Heath Miller) constantly on the line of scrimmage to help block... :jawdrop:

rich4eagle
07-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Nice thread I will revisit end of year....right now my view is keep Miller

X-Terminator
07-03-2009, 09:10 PM
If anybody has to be released its willie parker. The guy hasnt dun much for us at all except show us how he can get hurt often. Sumone else needs to step up and show sum authority at HB. Willie hasnt dun that. We need that statemen guy. ill run u over if u come near me type guy.

You know, can we for once get a noob who DOESN'T show up and say something stupid? Please?

I apologize for the hijack here, but that needed to be said.

BlastFurnace
07-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Its kinda hard to say. Heath is obviously dun what he was supposed to for our team. But I believe its more of our system and our coaches that make him heath. If u put him on...oh lets say the bills....i dont thnk he would look so good. i love heath. He plays our system well and is a great team player. but is it necessary? i dont thnk so. Its not about how much we like saying HEEEAAATTTHHH after a huge catch. Its about winning. And if the coaches on the practice field see sumthin we dont, and they want to let him go, then so be it. I trust our organization to make the rite choices. They got us this far. If anybody has to be released its willie parker. The guy hasnt dun much for us at all except show us how he can get hurt often. Sumone else needs to step up and show sum authority at HB. Willie hasnt dun that. We need that statemen guy. ill run u over if u come near me type guy.

It's rare when a thread is posted on this board that I completely disagree with, but this one takes the cake.

Miller, if put in a more pass oriented attack, like Indianapolis, would be an annual All Pro. As it is, he is a tremendous pass receiver with great hands, a dependable safety net for Ben, can play WR in a 4 WR set if needed, is a devastating blocker, a great teammate..and there is probably more. If we let him go and replace him with someone else...that loss will be huge and will really hinder the offense.

If Heath is ever free....the line begins at the right. There will be plenty of teams lined up to get him.

I also disagree with your take on Parker. How on earth can you say he hasn't done much for this organization? Yes, he has had some injuries...but...to say he doesn't open up our offense when in there is ludicrous.

Psyychoward86
07-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Its kinda hard to say. Heath is obviously dun what he was supposed to for our team. But I believe its more of our system and our coaches that make him heath. If u put him on...oh lets say the bills....i dont thnk he would look so good. i love heath. He plays our system well and is a great team player. but is it necessary? i dont thnk so. Its not about how much we like saying HEEEAAATTTHHH after a huge catch. Its about winning. And if the coaches on the practice field see sumthin we dont, and they want to let him go, then so be it. I trust our organization to make the rite choices. They got us this far. If anybody has to be released its willie parker. The guy hasnt dun much for us at all except show us how he can get hurt often. Sumone else needs to step up and show sum authority at HB. Willie hasnt dun that. We need that statemen guy. ill run u over if u come near me type guy.

Phail!

MasterOfPuppets
07-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Its kinda hard to say. Heath is obviously dun what he was supposed to for our team. But I believe its more of our system and our coaches that make him heath. If u put him on...oh lets say the bills....i dont thnk he would look so good. i love heath. He plays our system well and is a great team player. but is it necessary? i dont thnk so. Its not about how much we like saying HEEEAAATTTHHH after a huge catch. Its about winning. And if the coaches on the practice field see sumthin we dont, and they want to let him go, then so be it. I trust our organization to make the rite choices. They got us this far. If anybody has to be released its willie parker. The guy hasnt dun much for us at all except show us how he can get hurt often. Sumone else needs to step up and show sum authority at HB. Willie hasnt dun that. We need that statemen guy. ill run u over if u come near me type guy.:jerkit: i gives this post 10 strokes ...congrats...

Steeldude
07-04-2009, 06:22 AM
if there is no salary cap in 2010, then how is he a cap casualty?

bigjamesharrison2
07-04-2009, 04:54 PM
It's rare when a thread is posted on this board that I completely disagree with, but this one takes the cake.

Miller, if put in a more pass oriented attack, like Indianapolis, would be an annual All Pro. As it is, he is a tremendous pass receiver with great hands, a dependable safety net for Ben, can play WR in a 4 WR set if needed, is a devastating blocker, a great teammate..and there is probably more. If we let him go and replace him with someone else...that loss will be huge and will really hinder the offense.

If Heath is ever free....the line begins at the right. There will be plenty of teams lined up to get him.

I also disagree with your take on Parker. How on earth can you say he hasn't done much for this organization? Yes, he has had some injuries...but...to say he doesn't open up our offense when in there is ludicrous.

Well put. I completely agree. Heath is someone we NEED to keep and it's not the system that makes him good. He's a great team player, and from what I've heard, i think he wants to stay with the steelers. :helmet:

Hines0wnz
07-04-2009, 07:10 PM
He better get re-signed.

Give It To Abercrombie
07-04-2009, 08:08 PM
From the sound of things, Clark's new deal is well under way. If/when that is finalized and the new number under the salary cap is not enough to extend Miller, does Ben step up and re-work his deal this early into it to free up some bread?

I think if Miller is not extended before the season starts, it is more an indication of the FO's feelings about an uncapped year and the increase in the number of years before free agency is allowed for a player than it is about their desire to have him under contract. As someone said before, if the CBA situation isn't dealt with and we go uncapped, we have what, 2 more years of Heath until he's RFA?

revefsreleets
07-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I don't get it...he's perhaps the best blocking TE in football, AND he has super soft hands AND he has the ability to gain separation.

I'd say, in fact, that if you stuck Heath on a team that threw to the TE a lot, he'd be a perennial pro bowler...

Galax Steeler
07-06-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't see how anybody couldn't want Heath to get resigned. He is a good tight end and pulls Ben out alot when he gets in trouble. Just like revefsreleets said he would probably be a pro bowler if he was on a team that used a tight end alot.

mmalone
07-09-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't see how anybody couldn't want Heath to get resigned. He is a good tight end and pulls Ben out alot when he gets in trouble. Just like revefsreleets said he would probably be a pro bowler if he was on a team that used a tight end alot.

NBC Sports just put this out....

Heath Miller isn't going anywhere, for now
Posted by Mike Florio on July 8, 2009 11:43 PM
Apparently, there is scuttlebutt that Steelers tight end Heath Miller could be a salary-cap casualty in what currently is scheduled to be the last year with a salary cap.

And as a source with intimate knowledge as to the dynamics of the team's operation tells us, there's simply no way that the team will be cutting Miller.

Typically, players become salary-cap casualties when dumping their salaries would result in a potentially significant cap savings. In Miller's case, his base salary is only $800,000.

Though there's a chance that Miller has other compensation that would be avoided if he were cut, the final years of low first-round rookie contracts usually don't have exotic terms.

We'll be tracking down more details about the potential cap savings that the Steelers would realize if Miller were released. Based on what we already know, however, Miller isn't going anywhere this year.

This doesn't mean that the team will keep him in 2010. But if there's no salary cap next year, the salary cap won't be a reason to not keep him around.

FourThreeMafia
07-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I love Heath...one of my favorite Steelers...but anyone who says Heath Miller excels at blocking either doesnt watch him block much or just listens to what other uninformed people have to say.

Miller is not a very willing blocker and does not excel at it. He makes the occasional great block, but he is extremely inconsistent and misses alot of key blocks.

And while Miller has great hands, the Steelers would benefit from a faster TE that could stretch the middle of the field, which Miller cant do.

I am all for resigning Heath, but I definitely would not break the bank for him, or resign him if it means losing Hampton, or possibly Holmes or Woodley in a couple years.

stlrz fan
07-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Heath is a class guy and represents the organization well. It would be a shame to lose someone who always delivers. He isn't the most dynamic but he is relable and disruptive in the red zone.

tony hipchest
07-09-2009, 09:18 PM

Posted by Mike Florio on July 8, 2009 11:43 PM
Apparently, there is scuttlebutt that Steelers tight end Heath Miller could be a salary-cap casualty in what currently is scheduled to be the last year with a salary cap.

And as a source with intimate knowledge as to the dynamics of the team's operation tells us, there's simply no way that the team will be cutting Miller.

Typically, players become salary-cap casualties when dumping their salaries would result in a potentially significant cap savings. In Miller's case, his base salary is only $800,000.

Though there's a chance that Miller has other compensation that would be avoided if he were cut, the final years of low first-round rookie contracts usually don't have exotic terms.

This doesn't mean that the team will keep him in 2010. But if there's no salary cap next year, the salary cap won't be a reason to not keep him around.

way to go capt. obvious (florio). what an idiot

the scuttlebutt was that heath would not be signed next year because of his inevitably high salary and the cap.

nobody with half a brain would think he was gonna be cut for this upcoming season.

We'll be tracking down more details about the potential cap savings that the Steelers would realize if Miller were released. Based on what we already know, however, Miller isn't going anywhere this year.

dont waste your time, moron.

MasterOfPuppets
07-09-2009, 09:31 PM
there is gonna be some good TE's coming up in the next draft .....:scratchchin: ...not saying i wanna see miller depart, but if he's waitin on the money truck to back up to him...

Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
Height: 6-6. Weight: 260.
Projected 40 Time: 4.64.
Projected Round (2010): Top 20 Pick.
1/5/09: Back in October, Jermaine Gresham laughed at reporters who asked if he was planning on declaring early, citing that he wasn't "even close to ready for the NFL." Things may have changed since then, seeing as how Gresham finished the regular season with 58 receptions, 888 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Rob Gronkowski*, Arizona
Height: 6-6. Weight: 260.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2010): 1-2.
2/8/09: Improved upon his impressive freshman campaign. Rob Gronkowski caught 47 balls for 672 yards and 10 touchdowns despite missing three games with mono.

Dennis Pitta, BYU
Height: 6-5. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.66.
Projected Round (2010): 2-3.
1/5/09: Dennis Pitta debacled opposing defenses in 2008, registering 82 receptions, 1,072 yards and six scores. He had more yardage than any other tight end in Division 1-A.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010TE.php

i'd love to get one of these guys AND keep miller ... :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
07-10-2009, 04:42 AM
there is gonna be some good TE's coming up in the next draft .....:scratchchin: ...not saying i wanna see miller depart, but if he's waitin on the money truck to back up to him...

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010TE.php

i'd love to get one of these guys AND keep miller ... :thumbsup:

Which one of those do you like the best. I would say Jermaine would be the cream of the crop.

WeegiesWarriors
07-10-2009, 07:04 AM
I've been saying all along top paid TE's do not win championships. I'm not a cap guru, so I won't say this or that about what we can do. However, I want Holmes, Woodley, and probably Timmons before Heath. It's not just about the guy's signing right now. If Heath commands a huge contract and affects the ability to sign those other guys down the road... I'm not for that.

If it was just between signing Heath or Hampton/Parker or whomever in next year's FA... then definitely a no brainer. That's not the case though. I just don't want to lose those other guys in a couple of years.

The Giants won the Super Bowl with Jeremy Shockey drinking beer in a booth. Heath Miller isn't as totally irreplaceable as he is being made out to be on this board.

Sharkissle29
07-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I've been saying all along top paid TE's do not win championships. I'm not a cap guru, so I won't say this or that about what we can do. However, I want Holmes, Woodley, and probably Timmons before Heath. It's not just about the guy's signing right now. If Heath commands a huge contract and affects the ability to sign those other guys down the road... I'm not for that.

If it was just between signing Heath or Hampton/Parker or whomever in next year's FA... then definitely a no brainer. That's not the case though. I just don't want to lose those other guys in a couple of years.

The Giants won the Super Bowl with Jeremy Shockey drinking beer in a booth. Heath Miller isn't as totally irreplaceable as he is being made out to be on this board.

Definitely on the same page with you on this one. If resigning Heath means losing Holmes, Woodley, or Timmons...i am not for it. Heath is one of my favorites and i would love to have him back, i just hope he doesnt break the bank and we sign him to a reasonable deal and have $$ for our other big boys

mmalone
07-10-2009, 10:35 AM
I've been saying all along top paid TE's do not win championships.

The Giants won the Super Bowl with Jeremy Shockey drinking beer in a booth.

Heath Miller isn't as totally irreplaceable as he is being made out to be on this board.

Lets watch Atlanta this year and see if this is true. two TE's sets - and have one of the best te's now. along with Turner in the backfield. they will be the team to prove your theory right or wrong..

Steel Head
07-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Definitely on the same page with you on this one. If resigning Heath means losing Holmes, Woodley, or Timmons...i am not for it. Heath is one of my favorites and i would love to have him back, i just hope he doesnt break the bank and we sign him to a reasonable deal and have $$ for our other big boys

I agree but I just don't see Heath leaving. He doesn't seem like a greedy type. We should be able to settle on a fair deal for both sides

revefsreleets
07-10-2009, 11:08 AM
I love Heath...one of my favorite Steelers...but anyone who says Heath Miller excels at blocking either doesnt watch him block much or just listens to what other uninformed people have to say.

Miller is not a very willing blocker and does not excel at it. He makes the occasional great block, but he is extremely inconsistent and misses alot of key blocks.

And while Miller has great hands, the Steelers would benefit from a faster TE that could stretch the middle of the field, which Miller cant do.

I am all for resigning Heath, but I definitely would not break the bank for him, or resign him if it means losing Hampton, or possibly Holmes or Woodley in a couple years.

Fail, and LOL at the "uninformed" part...yet ANOTHER guy who knows better than everyone else, including the coaches and staff...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08308/924906-66.stm

Yet Bruce Arians, the Steelers' offensive coordinator, said he'd take Heath Miller over all of them.
"Pro bowls have nothing to do with the best tight ends going to the Pro Bowl," Arians said. "It's the guy with the most catches who goes. Those are glorified wide receivers. I've said it every year, Heath's the best tight end in the AFC."
The Steelers have placed just one tight end in a Pro Bowl in the past 45 seasons: Eric Green made it after the 1993 season, when he led Bill Cowher's second team with 63 receptions.
It's Miller's own fault. If he weren't so good at blocking, or so willing, he would likely be Tony Gonzalez or Antonio Gates, or even Chris Cooley -- he just would not have been drafted by the Steelers.
"Heath Miller could be whoever he wanted to be if he were a tight end in their offense," Arians said of the Redskins. "He could be all those guys, because those guys can't block. He can block."