PDA

View Full Version : Of the 4 Championship Game Losses, had we won, how many titles do you think we have?

BlastFurnace
07-03-2009, 08:41 PM
1994 - against the 49'ers
1997 - against the Packers
2001 - against the Rams
2004 - against the Eagles

I think we would have had 2 more than we currently have. I think the 49'ers would have beaten us and I think the Rams would have beaten us.

I think we would have beaten the Packers and the Eagles.

Psyychoward86
07-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Let's not burrow in the past. At least it's a good way to pass the time during this awfully boring offseason....

fansince'76
07-03-2009, 08:50 PM
I think we would have lost to the Niners, but won the other 3. The Packers got run over at will by Terrell Davis and considering that the Bus was truly in his prime at the time, he would have done the same. The Patriots' D punched the Rams' offense in the mouth the entire game throwing them out of sync. I think our defense was even more physical than the Pats' at the time and would have done the same. I think we would have beaten the Eagles mainly because McNabb has a long history of choking under pressure.

BlastFurnace
07-03-2009, 08:57 PM
I think we would have lost to the Niners, but won the other 3. The Packers got run over at will by Terrell Davis and considering that the Bus was truly in his prime at the time, he would have done the same. The Patriots' D punched the Rams' offense in the mouth the entire game throwing them out of sync. I think our defense was even more physical than the Pats' at the time and would have done the same. I think we would have beaten the Eagles mainly because McNabb has a long history of choking under pressure.

I struggled with the Rams game. Mainly because of Marshall Faulk. That kind of back...like a Thurman Thomas...always seems to give the Steelers fits. I agree, I think the Steelers defense was better than the Patriots at every position other than the CB's. Scott and Washington would have had fits with Bruce, Holt, and Proehl.

fansince'76
07-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I struggled with the Rams game. Mainly because of Marshall Faulk. That kind of back...like a Thurman Thomas...always seems to give the Steelers fits. I agree, I think the Steelers defense was better than the Patriots at every position other than the CB's. Scott and Washington would have had fits with Bruce, Holt, and Proehl.

True, but IMO, our running game was far superior to the Pats' at the time as well, and as such, I think we would have adopted the same strategy employed by the Giants in SB XXV against the Bills' "K-Gun" offense (when the Giants offense kept the ball for FORTY+ minutes of the game) - keep the ball on the ground, eat up clock and keep the ball away from the Rams' offense.

CantStop85
07-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Of the 4 Championship Game Losses, had we won, how many titles do you think we have?
6+4=10...I'm going to say 10. What do I win? :flap:

Men of Steel
07-04-2009, 12:05 AM
hmmm one can only wonder.....

i dont know but... when i was a kid... and first started liking the Steelers... thats when all those Championship game losses happend... and i had to see EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE...... oooh i had a troubled, traumatizing... childhood....:chuckle:

i honestly dont know if we would have won any... since our beloved QBs were ALWAYS CHOKING IN THE BIG GAME!!!!! :banging:

MasterOfPuppets
07-04-2009, 12:39 AM
6+4=10...I'm going to say 10. What do I win? :flap:
dude when are you renounce the bungles and come to the light ? your so close...
:chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
07-04-2009, 12:42 AM
hmmm one can only wonder.....

i dont know but... when i was a kid... and first started liking the Steelers... thats when all those Championship game losses happend... and i had to see EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE...... oooh i had a troubled, traumatizing... childhood....:chuckle:

i honestly dont know if we would have won any... since our beloved QBs were ALWAYS CHOKING IN THE BIG GAME!!!!! :banging:
yeah exactly !!! since korkie liked to save his worst games for the biggest games....:popcorn:

fordfan485
07-04-2009, 01:44 AM
Umm i thought we had lost 7 championship games

you forgot these losses:

1972 vs the Dolphins
1976 vs the Raiders
1984 vs the Dolphins

Steeldude
07-04-2009, 05:25 AM
if kordell is the QB...then we lose all of them.

Galax Steeler
07-04-2009, 06:51 AM
I leaves one to wonder but I would say we would have had atleast a couple of more.

theplatypus
07-04-2009, 07:01 AM
My bet is we would have won 2 of 4, with losses to SF and the Rams. That 1994 SF team was just badass and that 2001 Rams passing game probably would have ripped our pass defense to shreds.

fansince'76
07-04-2009, 07:23 AM

I was operating under the assumption that we actually would have had a real QB for those games, which is why we would have won those AFCCGs to begin with in the hypothetical scenario that was suggested in the OP.

St33lersguy
07-04-2009, 07:33 AM

you forgot these losses:

1972 vs the Dolphins
1976 vs the Raiders
1984 vs the Dolphins

Nice point. For those years I say we win in '72 and '76 against Allen's oldies and the Vikings. '84 no, of course the steelers 9-7 Jekyll & Hyde act really didn't stand a chance. Of course the steelers would have beaten Oakland had they had Franco and Rocky in the game. As for the years when the steelers lost as the better team and/or as victims of cheating
1994- yes particularly if O Donnell doesn't choke. The steelers almost beat the same cowboys team that beat them in 2 successive championship games
1997- given TD's performance with a migrane + having the bus + Packer's profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilteriness yes
2001- No with Bettis not 100% and Kordell having to win it would have folded against an underrated rams defense
2004- Yes, obviously they were a flatout better and more talented team than the eagles,

BlastFurnace
07-04-2009, 07:55 AM

you forgot these losses:

1972 vs the Dolphins
1976 vs the Raiders
1984 vs the Dolphins

I was only thinking of the Cowher years. I never saw the 1972 team play, so I am not sure. The 1976 team would have destroyed the Vikings. The 1984 team would have been ripped apart by the 49'ers.

wootawnee
07-05-2009, 11:16 AM
My bet is we would have won 2 of 4, with losses to SF and the Rams. That 1994 SF team was just badass and that 2001 Rams passing game probably would have ripped our pass defense to shreds.

Our defense in 94 was an absalute nightmare to play against........They were amazing........The 94 niners put up alot of points on a terrible defense with one great player on it it Junior Seau........I think they could have got to young.........Steelers roster was :
Steed G Williams, ray seals front 3
brown kirkland greene and lyyod......backers
woodson figures lake and perry........d back.s.....(cant beleive they lost to sd)

Foster ...cJ ...hastings ...ernie mills... thigpen......

fansince'76
07-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Our defense in 94 was an absalute nightmare to play against........They were amazing........The 94 niners put up alot of points on a terrible defense with one great player on it it Junior Seau........I think they could have got to young.........Steelers roster was :
Steed G Williams, ray seals front 3
brown kirkland greene and lyyod......backers
woodson figures lake and perry........d back.s.....(cant beleive they lost to sd)

Foster ...cJ ...hastings ...ernie mills... thigpen......

I still think we would have come up short against the '94 Niners, but our secondary was too good to have let Young torch us for 6 TDs - we would have at least made a game of it.

KeiselPower99
07-06-2009, 08:35 AM
1994 - against the 49'ers
1997 - against the Packers
2001 - against the Rams
2004 - against the Eagles

I think we would have had 2 more than we currently have. I think the 49'ers would have beaten us and I think the Rams would have beaten us.

I think we would have beaten the Packers and the Eagles.

We wouldve beat the Eagles and the Packers. Rams thats tough. I say we wouldve pulled it out like New England did.

steelreserve
07-06-2009, 11:14 AM
I think we would have beaten the Eagles mainly because McNabb has a long history of choking under pressure.

Didn't we also beat the dogshit out of the Eagles earlier that same season? I definitely think we would've won that one.

It's hard to say about the others, but I have a bad feeling about all of them. Mostly because from the mid-'90s to the early 2000s, we were really good but obviously missing a couple key elements, and there were some pretty dominant teams in the NFC during that time. I'm afraid that a lot of those would've gone like Super Bowl XXX against the Cowboys.

SteelMember
07-06-2009, 02:16 PM
we would have at least made a game of it.

yep. It was like 28-10 at the half...They even covered the 18 1/2 point spread. :doh:

Dino 6 Rings
07-06-2009, 02:30 PM
I think we would have played the 9ers very well that year in the Super Bowl, and that Game would have been the game for the "First to Five"

4xSBChamps
07-07-2009, 10:09 PM

you forgot these losses:

1972 vs the Dolphins
1976 vs the Raiders
1984 vs the Dolphins

the Steelers woulda run-over Allen's RedRams in SB VII (even pre-Lambert, the defense woulda shut-down Larry Brown, and battered Billy Kilmer), and crushed 'da Vikes in SB XI (didn't everybody?), making 'em Stillers the only team to win 3 SB in a row (and they mighta pitched the first & only SB-shutout in history, too):
I believe the '84 Niners went 15-1 in the regular season, with the sole loss being to 'em Stillers at Frisco, but I suspect Montana & Company woulda beaten Malone and that Stiller team.

I'd given anything to play 'da Iggles in a Super Bowl after the '04 season, just to watch Thugdell smirk at the beating Philthadelphia would've received:
this kind-of talk is just 'what-if', but we really sound like Cryboy fans, yappin'-about what coulda-been.....

:nono: