PDA

View Full Version : The "would you go through it again" question

BlastFurnace
07-03-2009, 08:53 PM
In 2003, the expectations were high, but the team fell flat on it's face after a big opening day win against the Ravens. The next offseason, we get Ben.

In 2006, expectations were again...high after Super Bowl XL. While I know Ben's injury played the biggest role in the teams 2-6 start, the team didn't make the playoffs. What resulted was a burned out Cowher leaving, the FO wanting to go in a different direction than Whiz or Grimm and going out and hiring a fresh faced, natural born leader in Mike Tomlin. 2 Years later, we in another Super Bowl. I wonder, had the Steelers went 11-5 in Bill's last season, would the Steelers have stayed the course and gone with Grimm instead of looking outside? That kind of season seemed to push the Rooney's to look outside.

Knowing what you know now about Ben and Tomlin....if someone told you...who had this kind of insight...you will go through 2 miserable years in 4 years...in years that it was completely unexpected to play that bad...to gain what you currently have right now? Losing seasons stink and you're basically throwing away an entire 12 month period of expectations to gain more later.

Would you take that deal?

fansince'76
07-03-2009, 08:58 PM
After experiencing the decade-long disappointment that were the 1980s for this team, and then all the heartbreaking "close but no cigar" seasons of the 1990s? Damn straight I'd take the last 5-6 years as they've happened.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-03-2009, 09:15 PM
LOL @ this thread.

You guys have it beyond easy compared to what it is to be a Cleveland sports fan. :chuckle:

Heck at this point I'd kill for the Browns to be as successful (and disappointing) as the Steelers were under Cowher from '92 to '00.

Hearing this to me is like a Starved Ethiopian hearing complaints from an overweight American that his steak is not done medium rare, and that his Chardonnay is not the right year.

Preacher
07-03-2009, 11:45 PM
LOL @ this thread.

You guys have it beyond easy compared to what it is to be a Cleveland sports fan. :chuckle:

Heck at this point I'd kill for the Browns to be as successful (and disappointing) as the Steelers were under Cowher from '92 to '00.

Hearing this to me is like a Starved Ethiopian hearing complaints from an overweight American that his steak is not done medium rare, and that his Chardonnay is not the right year.

:laughing:

I hate it when my steak is overcooked.

Steelers have high expectations. Honestly, Art Modell detroyed football in Cleveland and for some reason, the team has never been able to recover.

SteelKid212
07-04-2009, 12:11 AM
After experiencing the decade-long disappointment that were the 1980s for this team, and then all the heartbreaking "close but no cigar" seasons of the 1990s? Damn straight I'd take the last 5-6 years as they've happened.

Daaaam Straiiiiight! u said it best! :drink:

mulldog24
07-04-2009, 05:50 AM

Totally agree 2 rings are worth it!!!!!!!!!:tt03::tt03::drink:

Texasteel
07-04-2009, 06:09 AM
LOL @ this thread.

When your starving to death, a Bologna sandwich sound pretty darn good, doesn't it.

Galax Steeler
07-04-2009, 06:55 AM
When your starving to death, a Bologna sandwich sound pretty darn good, doesn't it.

Good one Tex.:toofunny: