PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Football Thread

J Dogg
07-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Penn State has one.....now Ohio State has one.

St33lersguy
07-04-2009, 08:24 PM
You a buckeye fan? You forgot the "the" at the beginning aswell :chuckle:

J Dogg
07-04-2009, 08:39 PM
You a buckeye fan? You forgot the "the" at the beginning aswell :chuckle:

I like any team that goes up against the "mighty" SEC for football superiority.

revefsreleets
07-06-2009, 09:08 AM
According to some, you aren't allowed to be an OSU AND Steeler fan.

Be prepared to get slammed a lot by some of the less astute posters on this board...

J Dogg
07-06-2009, 09:39 AM

Be prepared to get slammed a lot by some of the less astute posters on this board...

I'm a native of Western Pa. I really don't care what other people think.

revefsreleets
07-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Just giving you the heads up...there are a LOT of OSU haters on this board, and only a tiny few who actually deal in the facts.

atlsteelers
07-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Just giving you the heads up...there are a LOT of OSU haters on this board, and only a tiny few who actually deal in the facts.

rev - you are about the only one who does not deal with the facts when it comes to OSU football. but hey you are a fan so its understandable. i am still waiting for that youtube video of you eating your hat!

revefsreleets
07-09-2009, 08:28 AM
rev - you are about the only one who does not deal with the facts when it comes to OSU football. but hey you are a fan so its understandable. i am still waiting for that youtube video of you eating your hat!

I have posted so many stats and facts and figures it's ridiculous. They are a perennial top 5 program, an all-American and NFL factory, and one of the most storied college football programs of all time.

Even when I'm wrong (i.e. Laurinaitis) I wasn't THAT wrong...off by a dozen or so picks, and he WAS the first ILB taken.

Most of the anti-OSU bias around here resolves around some variation of the statement that " The Buckeyes suck!", so it's hardly difficult to bat that kind of (il)logic down...

atlsteelers
07-09-2009, 11:17 AM
i have said many times that OSU is a great program.

but its time for some other big 10 schools to emerge from the pack. I like dogging the Big 10 and OSU's big game performaces reflects the current downturn of the Big 10.

revefsreleets
07-09-2009, 11:35 AM
They are still only 1-2 in NCG's under Tressel. Let's not forget about 2002 just yet.

They've also WON some big games in the last few years...in Texas. In Happy Valley. In the Big House (Michigan WAS ranked #2 not so long ago).

The rumors of the Big Ten's demise have been greatly overstated...

uswa1
07-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Put the women and children to bed early when OSU comes to town! There's gonna be alot of unhappy Penn State fans that night!

SteelCityMan786
07-23-2009, 10:56 AM
They are still only 1-2 in NCG's under Tressel. Let's not forget about 2002 just yet.

They've also WON some big games in the last few years...in Texas. In Happy Valley. In the Big House (Michigan WAS ranked #2 not so long ago).

The rumors of the Big Ten's demise have been greatly overstated...

AGREED!!! People do need to realize that the Big Ten isn't just Ohio State, it isn't just Michigan. Penn State has put together a great stretch of 4 years(2 Big Ten Titles and they have won 3 out of 4 Bowl Games) together and if everything goes accordingly will compete with Ohio State for the Big Ten Championship.

Also the Big Ten has a few Dark Horse Calibur teams.

Iowa: Returns 14 starters from the team that won the Outback Bowl last year. If they can overcome the loss of Shon Greene on offense they could be a great force in the Big Ten.

Michigan State: Returns 15 starters and the only big shoes they need to fill are offense at QB and RB and at DE.

Michigan: Traditionally I'd usually put them in contention for the Big Ten Championship no matter what, but this team after going 3-9 is going to be much better Returning almost their entire offense. If they can revamp their D they'll be in good shape.

In all honesty the Big Ten has a shot to send 8-9(Only if conferences can't fill their bids) teams to Bowl Games this year depending on what teams like Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Northwestern do. The only teams who appear to not have a bowl game this year to look forward to appear to be Indiana, and Purdue.

revefsreleets
07-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Illinois has recruited VERY well over the last few years as well. It was ashamed to see them dismantled in the Rose Bowl in 2007, a game they clearly didn't belong in (and only reached because of them upsetting OSU). I think that set the program back last year.

But, yeah, I see some emerging teams, like MSU and Iowa putting the Big ten right back on the map again.

Stang909
07-23-2009, 12:06 PM
I can't wait for some Buckeye football. Let's go Bucks!

SteelCityMan786
07-23-2009, 12:42 PM

That crap gets spewed at a fellow Big Ten Member(He who said that knows who he is. Just a heads up, I'm not reffering to you rev)

revefsreleets
07-23-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm also, apparently, not allowed to be a Cavs or Indians fan. Even though I chose those allegiances at a VERY young age, and stuck through thick and (mostly) thin, apparently it would have been better for me to be a fairweather fan and adopt ALL Pittsburgh teams, either that or abandon the Steelers.

Yeah, that's gonna happen...

revefsreleets
07-29-2009, 09:05 AM
OSU picked to win Big Ten again, and Pryor is picked as the preseason offensive player of the year. Let the hating begin!

http://www.ohio.com/sports/osu/51786877.html

Buckeyes picked to win Big Ten

By Associated Press

POSTED: 10:44 a.m. EDT, Jul 27, 2009

COLUMBUS: Ohio State is the team to beat in this year's Big Ten football race.

The Buckeyes were picked to win it all by voters at the conference's football media day. The results were announced today. Penn State was the runner-up, followed by Michigan State.

Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor was selected as the preseason Offensive Player of the Year, and Michigan State linebacker Greg Jones was singled out on defense.

The Buckeyes are pursuing their fifth straight Big Ten title after going 10-3 a year ago and tying Penn State for the title with a 7-1 mark. Twelve starters will be returning for Ohio State.

SteelCityMan786
07-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Can't same I'm surprised either. I still think Penn State will be Ohio State's biggest challenge to winning the title.

revefsreleets
07-29-2009, 11:24 AM
There was a longer article in the Columbus Dispatch that elaborated on this. Basically, the columnist stated that the respect of the entire conference lies on the Buckeyes shoulders when they play USC, as there is no other OOC game of anything approaching that magnitude. It even had a quote from Ron Zook stating that all the other teams will and should be pulling for the Bucks simply out of the fact that a win garners a lot of respect for the conference.

Pretty sure there are some people here who will not agree...

SteelCityMan786
07-29-2009, 02:45 PM
There was a longer article in the Columbus Dispatch that elaborated on this. Basically, the columnist stated that the respect of the entire conference lies on the Buckeyes shoulders when they play USC, as there is no other OOC game of anything approaching that magnitude. It even had a quote from Ron Zook stating that all the other teams will and should be pulling for the Bucks simply out of the fact that a win garners a lot of respect for the conference.

Pretty sure there are some people here who will not agree...

I'd say that game, and not losing any games in embarrasing fashion against teams that should be teams the Big Ten should beat will do the trick.

revefsreleets
07-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Another National Championship sure woudn't hurt either!

revefsreleets
07-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Buckeyes ready for fresh start after all the departures....

http://www.buckeyextra.com/live/content/sports/stories/2009/07/29/big_ten_fb_7-29.ART_ART_07-29-09_C1_MLEK3NB.html?sid=101

New era, fresh air for OSU
Buckeyes eager to fill roles of departed seniors, erase memories of lopsided, high-profile losses
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:06 AM
By Ken Gordon
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

CHICAGO -- Rarely has a passing of the torch been so apparent as in the University of Phoenix Stadium locker room in January.

In that personal haunted house for Ohio State -- a place of mumbled words and shellshocked stares -- the Buckeyes spoke of their last-second loss to Texas in the Fiesta Bowl. On one side of the room, departing fifth-year senior linebacker Marcus Freeman was defiant.

The Buckeyes had proved their mettle in giving third-ranked Texas all it could handle, he said. This was at least partial redemption for lopsided losses during his career to Florida, Louisiana State and Southern California.

Freeman's sentiment was understandable given the withering storm of abuse heaped on Ohio State for those losses. This time, nobody could say the Buckeyes did not deserve to be on the same field as their opponent.

But just a few feet away, freshman quarterback Terrelle Pryor sounded a glaringly different tone. He was disgusted at the suggestion of a moral victory.

"It's not good enough," he said.

Nearly seven months later, as Ohio State prepares for preseason camp, there's a feeling of breaking away from the chains of the past, of casting loose from the moorings.

Although the Buckeyes will miss three-year starters such as Freeman, James Laurinaitis, Malcolm Jenkins and Alex Boone, they are sailing into the unknown, and there's something liberating about that.

"It's a good feeling," senior safety Kurt Coleman said. "We have a new little I guess you could say swagger, or new little confidence about ourselves, and it's a little bit different. I'm not going to lie -- the team is a little bit different. I really like it; we have a young group of kids."

This is nothing new, of course. College teams constantly churn their rosters, with untested young players eager to step up into new roles.

"Change is exciting for everybody," coach Jim Tressel said. "There's a new energy when someone else is handed the torch and let's see how they do."

Inexperience certainly presents a challenge. The Buckeyes have major voids at offensive tackle, running back, receiver, linebacker and cornerback.

Much is being placed at the feet of Pryor. How much has he grown in his first full offseason in the program?

"It's a younger group," Tressel said, "and with us not knowing as much about them, it's a little bit harder to feature the things that they do best when you're really not sure yet exactly what they do best."

August will be a frantic month of teaching and evaluating, to be sure, and with USC looming Sept. 12, there is little time to ease into the season.

There's more to it for Ohio State, though. It's impossible to say what psychological toll players paid for the repeated high-profile failures, but surely, there had to be a cumulative effect.

With the departure of last year's seniors (and early-entry juniors), nobody who played a significant role in a 41-14 loss to Florida in the 2006 national championship game remains on the team.

The current players don't bear nearly as many scars. In some ways, Ohio State's inexperience might actually be a blessing.

"They say ignorance is bliss," Coleman said. "I think a lot of the guys, like (senior defensive tackle) Doug (Worthington) and I are never going to forget about (the losses), but I think the young guys don't really know what it feels like to lose like that -- which is a good thing."

kgordon@dispatch.com

revefsreleets
08-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Bad news for Big Ten, USC....Pryor's all growed up now...

http://www.buckeyextra.com/live/content/sports/stories/2009/08/02/osufb_8-2.ART_ART_08-02-09_C1_FPEL7K8.html?sid=101

Positive signs
Teammates like what they're seeing in Terrelle Pryor's maturation
Sunday, August 2, 2009 3:43 AM
By Ken Gordon
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

According to teammates and opposing players, last year Terrelle Pryor was an indecisive, run-first quarterback who didn't know the offense very well and took too many sacks.

Considering that, it's amazing the Ohio State quarterback had success -- going 8-2 as a starter, leading the Big Ten in pass efficiency and being named the conference's freshman of the year.

Imagine what Pryor might do this fall.

From watching him in spring practice -- when he showed significant improvement in the passing game -- and from listening to those around him, the sophomore appears poised to take a big leap forward.

"He's making huge improvements," tight end Jake Ballard said, "and I know his expectations for himself are just as high. And that's what makes Terrelle such a good player -- he always wants to get better. He's going to be a big part of our team success this year."

The easy comparison would be to look at the improvement former quarterback Troy Smith made between 2004 and 2005.

In 2004, Smith took over in midstream, like Pryor, and often made up for his lack of experience by taking off running. In 2005, Smith was much more in command of the system and showcased a devastating blend of passing and running.

It's clear that the OSU coaching staff was protecting Pryor last season by limiting the game plan and playing conservatively. He averaged only 15 pass attempts in his 10 starts.

"We were basically asking him not to turn the ball over, to be conservative with the ball and just help guide the team down the field," safety Kurt Coleman said.

There's a reason for that. Although Pryor has a strong arm and was accurate (60.6 percent passing), he often held the ball too long. That's a common symptom of inexperience, mainly of not reading defenses quickly.

When in doubt, he ran. That's preferable to throwing an interception, obviously (he only threw four), but it made the offense one-dimensional.

"We knew he was talented, (that) he had made some great throws, but we knew it was going to be him trying to run more, we knew we had to stop that first," Penn State linebacker Sean Lee said. "Now this year, we'll see. Is it going to be just as tough to stop the pass as it was the run?"

Michigan State linebacker Greg Jones said he thought Pryor was an indecisive passer last year.

"If somebody wasn't open, he was going to try and run it," Jones said, "but by the time he decided to run, it was a sack."

For a mobile quarterback, Pryor did get sacked a lot -- 21 times. Compare that to Todd Boeckman, a pure pocket passer, who was sacked 18 times in 2007 while dropping back much more often.

Coleman said he has noticed great improvement in Pryor's knowledge of the system.

"He's distributing the ball a lot more," Coleman said. "Before, he would have one read. Now he sees a read, (and if) he sees a different coverage, he's going to go (to his second and third read). He's done a great job."

The other, more intangible mark of progress is in Pryor's attitude. Listening to teammates, it sounds as if he came in last year with a bit too much bravado.

Defensive tackle Doug Worthington has noticed a difference this year.

"In the huddle, he's telling people when they're wrong; he's disciplining when need be," Worthington said. "You see the progress that he had from being -- I'm not saying a knucklehead -- but being a freshman and going out there and having fun and giggling and not taking things seriously too much.

"It's great just seeing the kid go out there and become a man."

The potential is obvious. It's why Pryor was named preseason Big Ten offensive player of the year and why his name is on most lists of Heisman Trophy candidates.

What encourages coach Jim Tressel the most is Pryor's eagerness to transfer potential into results.

"The greatest thing about T.P. is he is one of the best listeners I've ever been around," Tressel said. "He is glued in on, 'What is it that I can find out to be better?' He wants that. He wants to be coached hard; he wants to have tremendously high expectations.

"And when you're willing to be like that -- and then, by the way, you happen to be pretty talented -- he's going to have a chance, I think, to be very, very good."

BONUS: Tressel's notes
Here are three areas where Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor needs to improve this year, according to coach Jim Tressel:

Distribute: Comfort and knowledge of the offense will lead to Pryor spreading the ball around better, with an emphasis on checking down to the outlet receiver when necessary.

Go deep: It's not how often, it's how effective. Tressel says Pryor must get better at letting the ball go on time when throwing downfield.

Focus: Pryor is emotional and also hard on himself. Tressel says he must stay mentally in the moment, which means letting the last play go and always looking forward.

SteelCityMan786
08-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I'll see how he handles the environment of Beaver Stadium first before I say that.

revefsreleets
08-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I saw no evidence that he was ever intimidated by anything last year, not even the Rose Bowl in the biggest early-season showdown in the country, and the kid had only been around for a few weeks at that point.

Fact is, the Buckeyes LOVE and thrive on the White out in Happy Valley.

SteelCityMan786
08-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I saw no evidence that he was ever intimidated by anything last year, not even the Rose Bowl in the biggest early-season showdown in the country, and the kid had only been around for a few weeks at that point.

Fact is, the Buckeyes LOVE and thrive on the White out in Happy Valley.

you sure? They're 1-1 to the best of my knowledge in the PSU Whiteout Era. Not to mention there Whiteout game this year is Iowa.

Penn State is also not to mention 2-2 against Ohio State at Beaver Stadium this decade (Won 2001, 2005, Lost 2003, 2007.)

revefsreleets
08-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Just because they don't always win doesn't mean they don't LOVE the atmosphere. That's the beauty of the program...they actively seek out the biggest early season OOC games they can. The fans love it, it helps in the polls, it tests their mettle, and, most of all, the players thrive on the big game, circus atmosphere...

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/news/article.asp?story_id=6245&list_id=1

SteelersinCA
08-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Won't matter after Sept 12, the Suckeyes will have lost to USC and I will have a new Steelers shirt courtesy of Rev.

revefsreleets
08-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Bleep
Blop
Bloop

J Dogg
08-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Two things are going to happen in college football pretty soon.

1. USC is going to hit a down cycle. It's nothing personal USC fans, it's just bound to happen. The Pac 10 is better and other schools are starting to take USC recruits away from them. UCLA. Cal, and Oregon State are all better. Plus Notre Dame has gotten much more involved in SoCal is the last few years.

2. The Big Ten is going to come roaring back. It could happen this year. An Ohio State win against USC would be a start. 5 or 6 Big Ten teams in the Top 25 would continue it, and a winning bowl record would cement it.

And for those who say Big Ten love is a Midwestern thing, can it OK. I lived in Arizona for a long time and there's a TON of love out there for Penn State, Ohio State, and Illinois plus a TON of love for Notre Dame.

SteelersinCA
08-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm sure eventually a USC down turn is going to happen, nothing profound there, just like an eventual OSU, UF, LSU, Texas downturn will happen. I wouldn't get your hopes up for this year though. USC's recruiting has been phenomenal. Notre Dame will never be back as long as it's academic standards are higher than other football powerhouses.

Again, the big 10 may come back some day but what 5 or 6 teams are going to be in the top 25? Certainly 1 year of winning bowl records isn't a comeback anymore than 1 year of losses is a downturn. I think the Big 10 is on a several year, possibly decade long bowl losing stretch. OSu is pretty much the lone bright spot in recent years.

You ever consider why Big 10 football is big in AZ? Same reason it is in other warm weather climates should give you a hint.

J Dogg
08-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm sure eventually a USC down turn is going to happen, nothing profound there, just like an eventual OSU, UF, LSU, Texas downturn will happen. I wouldn't get your hopes up for this year though. USC's recruiting has been phenomenal. Notre Dame will never be back as long as it's academic standards are higher than other football powerhouses.

Again, the big 10 may come back some day but what 5 or 6 teams are going to be in the top 25? Certainly 1 year of winning bowl records isn't a comeback anymore than 1 year of losses is a downturn. I think the Big 10 is on a several year, possibly decade long bowl losing stretch. OSu is pretty much the lone bright spot in recent years.
You ever consider why Big 10 football is big in AZ? Same reason it is in other warm weather climates should give you a hint.

I don't think you even watch college football. That statement is so stupid that it boggles the mind.

SteelCityMan786
08-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Two things are going to happen in college football pretty soon.

1. USC is going to hit a down cycle. It's nothing personal USC fans, it's just bound to happen. The Pac 10 is better and other schools are starting to take USC recruits away from them. UCLA. Cal, and Oregon State are all better. Plus Notre Dame has gotten much more involved in SoCal is the last few years.

2. The Big Ten is going to come roaring back. It could happen this year. An Ohio State win against USC would be a start. 5 or 6 Big Ten teams in the Top 25 would continue it, and a winning bowl record would cement it.

And for those who say Big Ten love is a Midwestern thing, can it OK. I lived in Arizona for a long time and there's a TON of love out there for Penn State, Ohio State, and Illinois plus a TON of love for Notre Dame.

1. I still think USC will win the Pac 10 though. Pete Carroll will find a way to win with what he has got.

2. Big Ten WILL come back to life in 2009. People just don't give it the respect it deserves because they think it's "boring." You know what the funny part is though? Why are certain Big Ten teams successful in Bowl Games? They can run the ball. You don't have to always pass the ball to win.

Agreed. Penn State has had attendance from areas such as Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, etc. Also not to mention there are a lot of Penn State, a few Ohio State, and Michigan fans near where I live.

SteelersinCA
08-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I don't think you even watch college football. That statement is so stupid that it boggles the mind.

Really? Let's see OSU is 4-3 in BCS games.
Michigan is next with most appearances with and astounding 1-3 record.
Wisconsin is 2-0 with wins in the 1999 and 200 rose bowl, hardly recent.
PSU is 1-1 with it's only win in 2006
Illinois is 0-2 with an absolute demolition in 2008
and Finally Iowa is 0-1.

Now enlighten me oh ye of superior intellect who exactly is the bright spot in that roster of fools if not OSU? Or maybe you could look at their overall record and come up with a cogent argument about how someone other than OSU has been a bright spot in recent years, oh wait no, you can't because the Big 10s bowl record blows. My oh my, who is stupid now??:coffee:

J Dogg
08-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Really? Let's see OSU is 4-3 in BCS games.
Michigan is next with most appearances with and astounding 1-3 record.
Wisconsin is 2-0 with wins in the 1999 and 200 rose bowl, hardly recent.
PSU is 1-1 with it's only win in 2006
Illinois is 0-2 with an absolute demolition in 2008
and Finally Iowa is 0-1.

Now enlighten me oh ye of superior intellect who exactly is the bright spot in that roster of fools if not OSU? Or maybe you could look at their overall record and come up with a cogent argument about how someone other than OSU has been a bright spot in recent years, oh wait no, you can't because the Big 10s bowl record blows. My oh my, who is stupid now??:coffee:

You are. You're mixing BCS and non-BCS numbers in a way that really defies all logic.

The lesson here is to not argue college football with a USC fan....but I already knew that.

xfl2001fan
08-06-2009, 12:40 PM
The biggest issue with USC (this season) revolves around 3 things.

1 - New QB. Yes, they are (like OSU) a school that typically reloads as opposed to rebuilds...but it's not like they've had a guy in the system for a few years. They're very green back there this season.

2 - New D-Coordinator. That means Pete Carrol will be spending even more time coaching coaches...and less time with the players than usual.

3 - New O-Coordinator. See note above. This is why Pete Carrol (IMO) really wanted Sanchez to stay this past season. Normally he doesn't have a huge issue with his guys going early if they are going in the first round. However, new QB and two new Coordinators while traveling to OSU in their second game is a bad combination. By November, they'll likely be their typicaly USC since Carroll took over...but it's too early to tell right now.

GO BUCKS!!!

SteelersinCA
08-06-2009, 01:49 PM
You are. You're mixing BCS and non-BCS numbers in a way that really defies all logic.

The lesson here is to not argue college football with a USC fan....but I already knew that.

Then post up the non BCS #'s if you are so sure of yourself. I bet you won't because it will show how wrong your are. I'm not a USC fan but I'm not a blind big 10 homer. Come back when you get some stats and facts junior. How any bowl win outside the BCS can be considered a bright spot is what really boggles my mind. The big 10 champion is expected to compete for the National Title every year, winning the outback bowl is hardly earth shattering but of course you already knew that right Poindexter?

SteelersinCA
08-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Let me help you out genius,

Bowl records for the past decade by conference:

All bowls

SEC: 44-30 (59.4%)
Big12: 33-32 (50.7%)
PAC10: 20-20 (50%)
BigEast: 19-18 (51.4%)
ACC: 24-28 (46.1%)
Big10: 28-38 (42.4%) <------- Who is that in last place?

... then just the BCS records...

SEC: 11-4 (73.3%), 4 BCS Titles
PAC10: 8-4 (66.7%), 1 BCS Title
BigEast: 6-4 (60%), 1 BCS Title
Big10: 8-8 (50%), 1 BCS Title
Big12: 6-8 (42.9%), 2 BCS Titles
ACC: 1-9 (10%), 1 BCS Title

Take out the BCS bowls since you obviously think the winner of the motor city bowl is a bright spot...

SEC: 33-26 (55%)
ACC: 23-19 54.7%)
Big12: 27-26 (50.9%)
BigEast: 13-14 (48.1%)
PAC10: 12-16 42.8%)
Big10: 20-30 (40%) <------- Who is that in last place?

Big 10 bowl records by team over the last decade:

1. OSU: 4-5 with 1 NC. 3 Fiesta Bowl wins and an Alamo Bowl win. Been in a BCS game 6 out the last 7 years.
2. Illinois: 1-2 (micronPC in 99, Sugar 01, Rose 07) MicronPC is the one they won, woohoo :rofl:
3. Indiana has played in 1 bowl in the last decade, they lost in the Insight.com bowl, another bright spot.
4. Iowa: 4-3 The won the Alamo, the Outback twice and the Capital One
5. Michigan is 4-5 They won the Orange, Citrus, Outback and Capital One. The only team with even a colorful claim as a bright spot besides OSU.
6. Michigan State: 2-3 Wins in the Citrus and hold on to your seat, the Silicon valley Bowl
7. Minnesota 3-5 2 Music City and a Sun bowl win
8. Northwestern 0-4 in the Alamo, Motor City and Sun bowls
9. Penn State 4-2 A good record but only wins in Alamo twice, Orange and Outback, so 1 meaningful win.
10. Purdue 2-6 Wins in motor city and Sun Bowls
11. Wisconsin 5-4 Wins in Rose in 99, Sun, Alamo and Capital One twice.

So now you analyze the Big 10's bowl records:

1. OSU has 1 National Title, 3 BCS wins and appearance in BCS bowls 6 out of the last 7 years. Pretty big bright spot if you ask me. They have more BCS wins than the rest of the teams in the Big 10 combined.
2. UW has 2 BCS wins, the last in 99, last 2 bowl wins were the Outback Bowl in 05 & 06.
3. Michigan 1 BCS win, 2 appearances and wins in 2nd tier bowls.
4. Penn State has a great Bowl record but 1 BCS win in 2 shots, hardly a bright spot unless you consider the Alamo Bowl one, which judging by your asinine comments, you probably do.

Lets look at top 10 rankings over the recent past, because personally #13 isn't a bright spot, thats like saying Hey Steelers good job you only missed out on the playoffs by 1 game, great season!!! You sure are a bright spot!

02: OSU #1, Iowa #8, UM #9
03: OSU #4, UM #6, Iowa #8
04: Iowa #8
05: PSU #3, OSU #4
06: OSU #2, UW #7, UM #8
07: OSU #5
08: PSU #8, OSU #9

OSU cracks the top 10 6 times, UM 3, Iowa 3, PSU 2, UW 1.

Michigan and Iowa are you bright spots huh?

This isn't a bash the Big 10 by me this is a J Dogg called me out as stupid and is now getting schooled by facts. It's no secret the Big 10 has been down, even Revs agrees with that. But to say anyone other than OSU has been a bright spot in the Big 10 in the recent past is ridiculousness at it's finest.

Class dismissed J Dogg. :wave:

xfl2001fan
08-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Wuh-woh! Waggy got PWNT

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Wuh-woh! Waggy got PWNT

Huh? I put him on ignore after he proved he was a dumbass.

xfl2001fan
08-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Huh? I put him on ignore after he proved he was a dumbass.

Well, they say ignorance is bliss. Guess you should be pretty happy right now. You wouldn't be related to Tim Lumber, would you? :noidea:

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Well, they say ignorance is bliss. Guess you should be pretty happy right now. You wouldn't be related to Tim Lumber, would you? :noidea:

I went back and looked at his numbers. He didn't compile those himself. I've seen them at least half a dozens times on different football boards. I'm still not all that impressed and it still doesn't prove his original point that OSU has been the Big Ten's only bright spot the past few years.

So he's still an idiot.

xfl2001fan
08-07-2009, 07:55 AM
I went back and looked at his numbers. He didn't compile those himself. I've seen them at least half a dozens times on different football boards. I'm still not all that impressed and it still doesn't prove his original point that OSU has been the Big Ten's only bright spot the past few years.

So he's still an idiot.

Of course he didn't compile them himself. Why re-invnent the wheel? To do so would be idiotic.

OSU isn't the only bright spot in the Big-10? Really?

So who else, within the Big-10 can be considered a brigth spot? Michigan? Not even close right now. Illinois? Meh. Penn State? They're more like a dim bulb than a bright spot. Methinx you should look in the mirror before calling someone an idiot.

Though, your deliberate ignorance reminds me of a saying.

Pigs don't know pigs stink.

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Of course he didn't compile them himself. Why re-invnent the wheel? To do so would be idiotic.

OSU isn't the only bright spot in the Big-10? Really?

So who else, within the Big-10 can be considered a brigth spot? Michigan? Not even close right now. Illinois? Meh. Penn State? They're more like a dim bulb than a bright spot. Methinx you should look in the mirror before calling someone an idiot.

Though, your deliberate ignorance reminds me of a saying.

Pigs don't know pigs stink.

I'm not really sure why you picked up this torch for him.

First off, OSU isn't a bright spot. The lopsided losses they've suffered in recent memory pretty much eliminate that idea right off the bat. 41-14 against Florida alone kills any chance they had of being called a "bright spot".

On the other side of the coin, one bad loss by Penn State shouldn't take away from the fact that beat FSU in a game that was set up as a classic trap game and Tennessee in a game where they were the underdogs and picked against by every talking head in the country.

I'm not a Penn State fanatic nor am I a USC hater. But it gets annoying that 95% of conversations with USC fans are pointless because they're unaware that football exists outside of the dump that is the LA Coliseum. They forget that last year USC LOST to the same Oregon State team that Penn State demolished. They always have an excuse. From the losses to teams like Stanford to the fact that a good number of their alums in the NFL are mediocre to bust.

But whatever, you and your BFF can keep this argument going. I'm done.

xfl2001fan
08-07-2009, 08:09 AM
If OSU isn't a bright spot in the Big-10, then nobody is. They're the best of the bunch, hands down.

What a USC loss to Oregon State means in the grand scheme of things is nothing. Who cares who USC lost to. They didn't lose to Penn State and they didn't lose to OSU. Those are the only two games that matter to me.

revefsreleets
08-07-2009, 08:23 AM
This is really, really easy. First off, look at the recent W-L record of OSU (Tressel era). I think only USC's is better.

They've played in 3 of the last 7 Championship games, and won one. Only haters dismiss runner-up status, as 118 other teams would be happy to get the chance to play in the NCG game. They've won the Big Ten outright 4 of the last 7 years, and a share in 5 of those 7.

That's not to say other Big Ten teams haven't had some success, but in the Tressel era, they have been THE Big Ten team pretty much year after year after year. I'm not really sure how that reasonably be disputed...

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 08:25 AM
If OSU isn't a bright spot in the Big-10, then nobody is. They're the best of the bunch, hands down.

What a USC loss to Oregon State means in the grand scheme of things is nothing. Who cares who USC lost to. They didn't lose to Penn State and they didn't lose to OSU. Those are the only two games that matter to me.

41-14 is the best of the bunch?

I'm not sure why I'm even having this debate. USC is the best program in college football in the last decade. Texas is a close second, but still behind USC. The Pac 10 is the best conference in college football right now. The Big 12 and the SEC get the media love, but the Pac 10 is doing it on the field.

But like I said, I'm out. USC handles OSU in the 'Shoe this year. 27-16

xfl2001fan
08-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Who, in the conference is/has been better than OSU in the last decade? Seriously. I didn't say that they are the most awesomest bestest team in all of college football. Only that they are the best that the Big-10 has to offer right now.

OSU wins against USC...but only because of the QB/Coaching issues and because they are playing early in the season.

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Who, in the conference is/has been better than OSU in the last decade? Seriously. I didn't say that they are the most awesomest bestest team in all of college football. Only that they are the best that the Big-10 has to offer right now.

OSU wins against USC...but only because of the QB/Coaching issues and because they are playing early in the season.

They have been the best, but not the ONLY bright spot. In particular, Wisconsin and Penn State put up big wins against SEC teams in either 2004 or 2005 (can't remember).

And I think USC wins because of their defense. Plus it's not like Corp is some geek off the street. The guy was one of top recruits in college football.

xfl2001fan
08-07-2009, 08:57 AM
So you site a game from 4-5 years ago as the reason why OSU isn't the only bright spot. What have they done lately?

Carroll is going to have to coach up his new O/D Coordinators while also working the new kid. Later in the season, you'll see a better product by USC, but I think in the early going, they're in trouble. This time around, Pryor will have an offense that's actually geared around his ball-skills (which should be similar to what Troy Smith was using his Heisman year).

revefsreleets
08-07-2009, 08:57 AM
OSU wins a close game, and Pryor is the difference. Won't hurt that they are in the Shoe...

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 09:06 AM
So you site a game from 4-5 years ago as the reason why OSU isn't the only bright spot. What have they done lately?

Carroll is going to have to coach up his new O/D Coordinators while also working the new kid. Later in the season, you'll see a better product by USC, but I think in the early going, they're in trouble. This time around, Pryor will have an offense that's actually geared around his ball-skills (which should be similar to what Troy Smith was using his Heisman year).

Yes, I am. The point that was originally made was that OSU has been the only bright spot and that's simply not the case.

And I think Pryor is the difference, but not in the way you guys think.

xfl2001fan
08-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Yes, I am. The point that was originally made was that OSU has been the only bright spot and that's simply not the case.

And I think Pryor is the difference, but not in the way you guys think.

OSU has been a steady headlight...whereas the other teams have been blinking christmas lights. Pretty at times...but generally not what you need to light your path going forward.

I think you underestimate Pryor.

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 09:28 AM
OSU has been a steady headlight...whereas the other teams have been blinking christmas lights. Pretty at times...but generally not what you need to light your path going forward.

I think you underestimate Pryor.

Maybe I do. But based on last season, I don't think so.

xfl2001fan
08-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Last season he was thrust into a lineup early...with an offense designed around Todd's skill set.

The offense has been tweaked to fit his skills.

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Last season he was thrust into a lineup early...with an offense designed around Todd's skill set.

The offense has been tweaked to fit his skills.

Great....so it's going to take him some time to adjust as well right.

The X factor here is Taylor Mays. His presnece is going to go a long way to neutralize Pryor.

xfl2001fan
08-07-2009, 09:54 AM
They began the tweaking last season...and he's already had a full spring camp (as well as current practices.) He has less of an adjustment period than the kid from USC (who needs to get a good feel for the speed of the game at a top-notch collegiate school.)

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
They began the tweaking last season...and he's already had a full spring camp (as well as current practices.) He has less of an adjustment period than the kid from USC (who needs to get a good feel for the speed of the game at a top-notch collegiate school.)

I don't care about Corp. Pryor still has to deal with Mays and USC defense. I don't think he's up to the task.

xfl2001fan
08-07-2009, 10:17 AM
You're entitled to your opinion (and being wrong.) It's your God given right. :flap:

How many linebackers on the current USC roster started last season? :noidea:

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 10:22 AM
You're entitled to your opinion (and being wrong.) It's your God given right. :flap:

How many linebackers on the current USC roster started last season? :noidea:

USC's backups are better than most team's starters.

xfl2001fan
08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
But you are still replacing 4 guys drafted (and a D-Coordinator). I suspect that USC will have a very shaky start to their season.

revefsreleets
08-07-2009, 02:48 PM
USC's backups are better than most team's starters.

That works on most teams...but not the Buckeyes. Look at Dbacks and LBers...we lose them, and they get replaced with.......upgrades!

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 02:59 PM
That works on most teams...but not the Buckeyes. Look at Dbacks and LBers...we lose them, and they get replaced with.......upgrades!

And Taylor Mays neutralizes Pryor.

Bottom line is the game is a toss up at this point. It should be close, so we'll see what's what.

SteelersinCA
08-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I can't believe you guys even engage this guy. I put up the stats and he still says Penn State and Wisconsin are bright spots. The he says OSU being in BCS GAMES FOR 6 OUT OF THE PAST 7 YEARS means nothing!!! Penn State has 1 BCS win and Wisconsin 2 with the last in 99. I now know what the "J" in J Dogg stands for, joke.

To even begin to poo poo OSU is absurdity. While I think they lose to USC and the Big 10 has been in a down stretch OSU, without question by anyone with an IQ over 3 (this excludes you Joke Dogg, you're safe) has been the standard bearer for the Big 10. No one even comes close. Let's try this again. They have more BCS wins than the rest of the conference combined in the past decade.

SteelCityMan786
08-07-2009, 05:17 PM
They have been the best, but not the ONLY bright spot. In particular, Wisconsin and Penn State put up big wins against SEC teams in either 2004 or 2005 (can't remember).

And I think USC wins because of their defense. Plus it's not like Corp is some geek off the street. The guy was one of top recruits in college football.

Penn State's win was 2006-2007's Outback Bowl(Just a heads up)

SteelCityMan786
08-07-2009, 05:24 PM
I can't believe you guys even engage this guy. I put up the stats and he still says Penn State and Wisconsin are bright spots. The he says OSU being in BCS GAMES FOR 6 OUT OF THE PAST 7 YEARS means nothing!!! Penn State has 1 BCS win and Wisconsin 2 with the last in 99. I now know what the "J" in J Dogg stands for, joke.

To even begin to poo poo OSU is absurdity. While I think they lose to USC and the Big 10 has been in a down stretch OSU, without question by anyone with an IQ over 3 (this excludes you Joke Dogg, you're safe) has been the standard bearer for the Big 10. No one even comes close. Let's try this again. They have more BCS wins than the rest of the conference combined in the past decade.

Penn State has been more so a barrier in the last 4 years. Just a reminder(as much as I hate to admit it.), Penn State had 4 out of 5 years to start the decade that they just fell apart. In the last 4 years they have been one of the teams holding the Big Ten up. As much as OSU Fans don't want to keep this in mind, Ohio State hasn't won a Bowl game since 2005(The Fiesta Bowl vs. Notre Dame). Penn State has won 3 of their last 4.

OSU though has been the ones who have been doing most of the work keeping the Big Ten up at the end of the day. Penn State is moving towards joining them in those ranks at the rate they're improving. OSU though at the same time has lost more BCS Games(at least next to Michigan) this decade then any other Big Ten School.

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 05:57 PM

Again...you can't even decide what argument you're trying to make.

Just sit down and let the adults talk now junior.

SteelersinCA
08-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Lol, you mean like saying PSU has won non-BCS bowl games against SEC teams but yet saying that OSU losing in BCS games somehow makes PSU a bright spot?

I'm still waiting for you to tell us who is a bright spot besides OSU. I knew you wouldn't cause it would expose how limited your knowledge is. Tick tick.

Guess I'm off ignore, yay? :yap:

SteelersinCA
08-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Penn State has been more so a barrier in the last 4 years. Just a reminder(as much as I hate to admit it.), Penn State had 4 out of 5 years to start the decade that they just fell apart. In the last 4 years they have been one of the teams holding the Big Ten up. As much as OSU Fans don't want to keep this in mind, Ohio State hasn't won a Bowl game since 2005(The Fiesta Bowl vs. Notre Dame). Penn State has won 3 of their last 4.

OSU though has been the ones who have been doing most of the work keeping the Big Ten up at the end of the day. Penn State is moving towards joining them in those ranks at the rate they're improving. OSU though at the same time has lost more BCS Games(at least next to Michigan) this decade then any other Big Ten School.

I agree PSU is on the rise, but to say they have been a bright spot in the Big 10 in the past decade is a stretch. Winning the Outback bowl doesn't qualify as a bright spot. What are there 50 some bowl games? A bowl win isn't the deciding factor. You can't say Illinois won the MicronPC game and OSU lost the NC title game and say Illinois is a brighter spot. I hope PSU beats OSU this year again!!

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Lol, you mean like saying PSU has won non-BCS bowl games against SEC teams but yet saying that OSU losing in BCS games somehow makes PSU a bright spot?

I'm still waiting for you to tell us who is a bright spot besides OSU. I knew you wouldn't cause it would expose how limited your knowledge is. Tick tick.

Guess I'm off ignore, yay? :yap:

:blah:

SteelCityMan786
08-07-2009, 07:54 PM
I agree PSU is on the rise, but to say they have been a bright spot in the Big 10 in the past decade is a stretch. Winning the Outback bowl doesn't qualify as a bright spot. What are there 50 some bowl games? A bowl win isn't the deciding factor. You can't say Illinois won the MicronPC game and OSU lost the NC title game and say Illinois is a brighter spot. I hope PSU beats OSU this year again!!

They're a brighter spot then Michigan though and some other teams in the conference. That's for sure. I'm not saying they've done much better then Ohio State because as I said, 4 of the first 5 season this decades alone, they had losing seasons(2002 was the only non-winning year in that stretch).

SteelersinCA
08-07-2009, 08:05 PM
:blah:

Still waiting...I know you never will respond, it's ok, everyone already knows you were wrong.

SteelersinCA
08-07-2009, 08:07 PM
They're a brighter spot then Michigan though and some other teams in the conference. That's for sure. I'm not saying they've done much better then Ohio State because as I said, 4 of the first 5 season this decades alone, they had losing seasons(2002 was the only non-winning year in that stretch).

Not disagreeing with you. I made the statement OSU is the lone bright spot, for which I was called stupid and a dumbass. PSU and UM are about the only ones that have done anything of consequence to even merit consideration. At the same time, they haven't done really much of anything on a consistent basis, leaving OSU the only one who performs year in and out. Simple as that.

revefsreleets
08-08-2009, 12:23 PM
And Taylor Mays neutralizes Pryor.

Bottom line is the game is a toss up at this point. It should be close, so we'll see what's what.

Wow...that's a HUGE assignment for one guy...

J Dogg
08-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Wow...that's a HUGE assignment for one guy...

Not when that player is arguably the best player in college football.

PS: I already responded to you CA. Try reading more than your own posts.

revefsreleets
08-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Sorry, one safety alone cannot contain a triple threat QB. Not then, not now, not ever...

revefsreleets
08-09-2009, 07:39 PM
How good are Ohio States players?

Rookie punter AJ Trapasso just ran a fake punt in for a 40 yard TD. In the NFL. 40 yards. Even their punters are dominant at the next level!

xfl2001fan
08-11-2009, 06:56 AM
That was such a good play fake! AJ has some pretty good wheels on him. Wasn't he the guy who used to run track in HS as well?

J Dogg
08-12-2009, 06:28 AM
How good are Ohio States players?

Rookie punter AJ Trapasso just ran a fake punt in for a 40 yard TD. In the NFL. 40 yards. Even their punters are dominant at the next level!

Except for the fact that he probably won't make the final roster considering he was injury fill in.

xfl2001fan
08-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Except for the fact that he probably won't make the final roster considering he was injury fill in.

Might not make their roster...but he just served notice to a lot of NFL teams. The threat of him running will put a small hesitation in someone's steps...and small hesitations in the NFL...are BIG.

There are several teams in the AFCE that need a punter.

revefsreleets
08-12-2009, 10:20 AM
It was a joke. Lighten up, Francis...

The OSU haters REALLY hate....

SteelersinCA
08-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Aaron Corp out for 2 weeks Rev, you like it?

revefsreleets
08-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Ray Small: Out indefinitely
Tyler Moeller: Out for season

Injuries and the like are excuses for losers. I NEVER use that as an excuse. But I have seen a LOT is USC fans use that weak line before, especially a couple years ago when they melted down against the worst 1-A team in the country, Stanford...

boxedlunch
08-13-2009, 11:55 AM

So he's still an idiot.

No, he didn't compile them himself, but he might as well have, considering they weren't accurate. I always find it funny to see someone acting belligerent when using numbers that they don't even know are accurate or not.

revefsreleets
08-13-2009, 12:02 PM
That's your first post?

I hope to Christ you aren't questioning MY numbers.

xfl2001fan
08-13-2009, 12:24 PM
No, it's SteelersInCA's post he is referring to (I believe). Still, for that to be his first post...that's a bit unreal.

SteelersinCA
08-13-2009, 05:07 PM
What is inaccurate? Maybe a game is off, my bad. 1 or 2 games isn't going to sway the main crux of the argument. For the record, I got belligerent after I was called stupid, idiotic and a dumbass. Keep on hoping.

SteelersinCA
08-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Ray Small: Out indefinitely
Tyler Moeller: Out for season

Injuries and the like are excuses for losers. I NEVER use that as an excuse. But I have seen a LOT is USC fans use that weak line before, especially a couple years ago when they melted down against the worst 1-A team in the country, Stanford...

Not using it as an excuse, jsut asking if you like it or not. Personally I feel like the frosh is the better option. The general consensus I heard was that he would be the starter eventually this season, this just speeds up the time table. No excuse, just observation.

boxedlunch
08-14-2009, 12:40 PM
What is inaccurate? Maybe a game is off, my bad. 1 or 2 games isn't going to sway the main crux of the argument. For the record, I got belligerent after I was called stupid, idiotic and a dumbass. Keep on hoping.

Hoping? For what? That doesn't make sense.

I didn't see the provocation. I'll take your word for that. I just get sick of seeing the same incorrect information repeated over and over again. Come on, "a game off"? Over the last 10 years the PAC-10 is 30-25 in bowls. The stuff you copied had them at 20-20. This stuff is not close.

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Actually, CA, I prefer that the opposition IS always at full strength, at home, well rested, and hopefully just had some sacred cow ex-coach that dies or something so the team the Bucks face is up against some kind of "Win one for the Gipper" scenario. I make NO excuses for my team and WANT no possible excuses available to the other.

SteelersinCA
08-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Hoping? For what? That doesn't make sense.

I didn't see the provocation. I'll take your word for that. I just get sick of seeing the same incorrect information repeated over and over again. Come on, "a game off"? Over the last 10 years the PAC-10 is 30-25 in bowls. The stuff you copied had them at 20-20. This stuff is not close.

Obviously you didn't read the entire thread, perhaps you should go back and do that before you lecture us on what it is that you are tired of. Personally I'm pretty tired of people coming on here full of fire and brimstone acting like we should bow down and worship at their altar because they decided to grace us with their presence, but that's just me.

revefsreleets
08-16-2009, 07:00 AM
I saw some reports last week that Pryor was clocked running a 4.37 40. A 6'6" 230 lb 4.37? Are you KIDDING me?

revefsreleets
08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Correction, it was a 4.33. From the Columbus Dispatch:
Yes, it was a 4.33

Sophomore quarterback Terrelle Pryor's reported 40-yard dash time of 4.33 seconds, recorded at the end of summer conditioning, drew some skepticism nationally. But many of his teammates said last week that they believed it was legitimate, adding that it was laser-timed.

"What did coach Tress tell you?" Pryor said. "You've gotta ask him. If I say it, you won't believe me."

But he said the time didn't surprise him. "No, I've been running that all through high school."

revefsreleets
08-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Saw the "Big Ten Network Tour" today and the Bucks look pretty stacked across the board. A lot of talent across both lines which has been a relative weakness the last few years. I actually think the ONLY question I have reloading wise will be K/P and LB.

I think they'll win the Big Ten, and their BCS fate will be determined by that early season USC game. If they beat the Trojans going undefeated is certainly not out of the question. Also, one other past question will not be an issue this year: This is the fastest Buckeye team EVER, and I think their team speed is comparable to ANY team in the country.

revefsreleets
08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Another class move by the Buckeyes...this in response to very low class booing by fans at schools like Wake Forest and Rutgers...

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090827/SPORTS16/908270365

Ohio State hopes its fans cheer for Navy
ASSOCIATED PRESS

COLUMBUS - Ohio State is asking football fans to welcome opening-day opponent Navy to the field in the same way they greet the Buckeyes: by rising to their feet and cheering.

An online video produced by the university, says "Buckeyes know there are some things more important than football … service to your country … AND respecting and appreciating those who serve."

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel says he hopes fans treat every opponent with respect, but that it's raised a notch when players on the field also have pledged to defend you.

Also on opening day, former Navy pilot, astronaut and U.S. Senator John Glenn will dot the "i" in the alumni band's script Ohio formation at halftime.

The last time a service academy played in Ohio Stadium was 1931.

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 09:13 PM
I saw some reports last week that Pryor was clocked running a 4.37 40. A 6'6" 230 lb 4.37? Are you KIDDING me?

that is sick, he is def. going pro next year and will be a top 5 pick

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 09:15 PM
Saw the "Big Ten Network Tour" today and the Bucks look pretty stacked across the board. A lot of talent across both lines which has been a relative weakness the last few years. I actually think the ONLY question I have reloading wise will be K/P and LB.

I think they'll win the Big Ten, and their BCS fate will be determined by that early season USC game. If they beat the Trojans going undefeated is certainly not out of the question. Also, one other past question will not be an issue this year: This is the fastest Buckeye team EVER, and I think their team speed is comparable to ANY team in the country.

Overall Penn State has more top end talent but have some holes from many players leaving last season. If they are able to reload at those positions like OSU does so easily, PSU will win the Big 10

revefsreleets
09-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Define "top-end talent" and give me some specific, position-by-position examples of that. I ask you to back that up because OSU out-recruits PSU every year...

Steel Head
09-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Define "top-end talent" and give me some specific, position-by-position examples of that. I ask you to back that up because OSU out-recruits PSU every year...

I'm talking proven top college football talent, not top high school recruits that I know OSU gets tons of

Daryll Clark (all big 10 team, was close to some major awards, solid vet, proven leader and the focal point of PSU's new and successful spread HD offense)

Evan Royster - solid RB

Stephfon Green - electrifying RB who is a threat to go all the way on any play

Navorro Bowman - total stud

Sean Lee - playmaker at LB

these are Penn State's stars, they have a bunch more solid players too. However they lost a lot of talent on the D-line and O-line so it's hard to predict how good they will be. I have no problem w someone favoring OSU to win the Big 10, it should be close

revefsreleets
09-02-2009, 07:37 AM
-Terrelle Pryor, preseason Big-Ten Offensive player of the year, Heisman watch
-Jake Ballard, Mackey Award watch
-Justin Boren, on several all Big Ten 1st team lists
-Mike Brewter, true Soph, Rimington Award watch
-Chimdi Chekwa, Steele's Big Ten 1st team, heir apparent to Jenkins, not as physical, but faster and more athletic
-Kurt Coleman, Loot Trophy watch, Thorpe Award watch, Nagurski Award watch, a BUNCH of 1st team all Big-Ten lists
-Thad Gibson ready-to-break out DE superstar
-Boom Herron, Do0ak Award watch, heir apparent to Beanie Wells
-Ross Homan, next in line stud OSU LB
-Devier Posey, next in line stud OSU WR

These are just the stars. They may have the best DL in all of college football. Their WR's are stars in waiting. They have a whole new crop of LB's waiting to break out. This is the best OL they've had in years. Their defensive secondary could be stellar this year.

Top-to-bottom, OSU has more talent, has more 4 star recruits, has more speed, and with a few possible exceptions, is more talented head to head in each and every position battle.

Steel Head
09-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Top-to-bottom, OSU has more talent, has more 4 star recruits, has more speed, and with a few possible exceptions, is more talented head to head in each and every position battle.

LOL, it's not even worth discussing anything with you. You are the biggest joke of a homer around.

Penn State is more talented at RB and at LB by far

Nadroj 20
09-02-2009, 08:42 AM
that is sick, he is def. going pro next year and will be a top 5 pick

LOL he cant go pro you can only skip out of your senior year this isnt basketball

Pryor=Sophomore which means 2 more seasons counting this one at least

revefsreleets
09-02-2009, 08:44 AM
I'll concede LBers.

That's one position.

Saine will be healthy for the first time in his career, and Herron is extremely underrated. He rushed for nearly 5 a carry and 6 scores last year subbing for Beanie.

Saine healthy is very dangerous for opponents, and I HOPE they are as ignorant about him and Herron as you are (But that would be impossible). Brandon Saine was considered the next Reggie Bush out of HS, but injuries have slowed him. He ran a 10.38 100 as a track star, too, so he is a burner.

But, you know, what good are my facts, stats and figures compared to your opinion and conjecture, right?

Steel Head
09-05-2009, 01:19 PM
LOL he cant go pro you can only skip out of your senior year this isnt basketball

Pryor=Sophomore which means 2 more seasons counting this one at least

my bad forgot

that is a new rule though

and i think it's more of an age limit rule isn't it?

revefsreleets
09-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I HATE the obligatory 10 offensive play vanilla crap Tressel does in these warm-up games...they've never lost to a major underdog before, and haven't dropped a home opener in 31 years, but one of these days it's going to happen if they don't open up and play FOOTBALL!

pittsburghp8baller
09-05-2009, 03:48 PM
my bad forgot

You have to wait three years from when you graduate from high school. As long as i been around that has been the rule (20 years), not sure what it was before.

Better for Ohio State to work there kinks out now rather than against USC.

Ill def be routing for Ohio State next week, seeing how i hate USC.

Should be a great game, i wouldnt put to much into the Navy game, im sure it was a simple case of looking ahead to USC. Ohio State will bring there A game to USC, no doubt about it.

Nadroj 20
09-05-2009, 05:19 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exacty right you have to be 3 years removed from high school....

Nadroj 20
09-05-2009, 05:21 PM
my bad forgot

No problem man lol its commonly forgot so its no big lol but when pryor does go to the draft he should be a high pick

xfl2001fan
09-07-2009, 08:24 AM
I HATE the obligatory 10 offensive play vanilla crap Tressel does in these warm-up games...they've never lost to a major underdog before, and haven't dropped a home opener in 31 years, but one of these days it's going to happen if they don't open up and play FOOTBALL!

What scares me, though...is how little push our O-line got against Navy. If Navy was able to cover some of our plays...no matter how vanilla, USC will shut it down.

Defensively, I didn't expect for us to completely shut down Navy. Their Triple option is executed at a very high level out of Annapolis... However, the missed tackles are unexcusable. If the Navy QB can shed tackles, then the HB/FBs at USC will run silly.

revefsreleets
09-07-2009, 08:49 AM
What scares me, though...is how little push our O-line got against Navy. If Navy was able to cover some of our plays...no matter how vanilla, USC will shut it down.

Defensively, I didn't expect for us to completely shut down Navy. Their Triple option is executed at a very high level out of Annapolis... However, the missed tackles are unexcusable. If the Navy QB can shed tackles, then the HB/FBs at USC will run silly.

I'm guessing this is classic early season/opener OSU football...they have a long track record of slacking off and then recovering:
2000-They struggled with Miami OH for 3.5 quarters only edging them 27-16, but went on to whoop PSU 45-6 the following week.
2002-They BARELY beat a very7 mediocre Cinci 23-19 in week 3, then went on to win the rest of their games, including the NC game.
2003- They struggles against perennial powerhouses like San Diego St (W 16-13), and NCST (44-38), before going to on to win all but two games and put a beating on a very good K State team in the Fiesta Bowl.
2004- Struggles to beat Marshall (24-21) although they weren't very good that year.
2007- Struggles with Akron (It was 3-2 at halftime) before putting together a runner-up year.

I was extremely disappointed with 3 things in particular:
-Our oline, the best we've had in years, looked like they were more worried about where the after party was going to be held..
-The D-line, one of the best in the Country, was shut down by a slightly better than average, and definitely undersiazed, Navy Oline.
-Tress stupidly listening to Pryor and going for it on 4th and 2. It'd be different if we were blowing them off the line all day or something, but we weren't, and ran a simple and predictable off-tackle left.

We hit the reasonably easy FG, go up by 3 scores, and probably coast out with a 32-14 win, maybe even bigger since Navy being down by 18 would have to pass the ball more deep in their own territory. Instead, they catch the D napping on the next play and the rest if history. It's like the team was on autopilot in the 4th, and just going through the motions.

If they don't come in firing on all cylinders next week, they'll get blown out again. I think they'll be up, but who knows? They should be able to rattle USC's frosh QB, and I expect Pryor to have a much better game as he craves the spotlight, but we MUST have a much better effort along both lines.

sherlock
09-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Iowa v Iowa State is being shown NOW!!
http://www.justin.tv/mineshaft

sherlock
09-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Iowa v Iowa State is being shown NOW!!
http://www.justin.tv/mineshaft

Sorry wrong thread:doh:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-12-2009, 04:48 PM
OH-

I hope USC get's their ass whupped tonight. A tall wish, but one I want to see occur.

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-12-2009, 05:41 PM
OH-

I hope USC get's their ass whupped tonight. A tall wish, but one I want to see occur.It's going to be the other way around.

sabeast
09-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey Guys,
i get the picture... What you all are saying is I can't live in Ohio and root for the Steelers and the buckeyes.?... I beg your pardon I do both and it pisses alot of people off!! I say let's go Bucks!!!
The Steelers are my Number One Team!! Oh and by the the way ALL Cleveland Browns Fans say that the Steelers are always Squeelers...So I live with this day in and day out!!!! Keep It Real!:tt02:

Polamalu Princess
09-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Go Ohio!!!!

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-13-2009, 12:06 PM
They choke in the big games!

KeiselPower99
09-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Pryor to me is the next Vick. Can run around and make plays but isnt a qb

revefsreleets
09-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Pryor will still get better...I'm not giving up on him yet. But he needs to rely on his legs first and stop forcing himself to be a passer...that will come to him later.

That 5 and out in the 4th was the killer. They were running the ball fine, and probably could have kept on running the ball, but got greedy, looked deep twice (Pryor took the sack on the second), and had to punt...that was the game.

Pryor talking shit after the game about OSU "should have beat them by 2-3 TD's" was garbage...at BEST they should have won 18-10, more like 22-18...they weren't scoring 30 points on USC...

The good news is the Bucks OL looked really solid, and their DL is probably the best in the Country...I know USC's OL is one of, if not the, best OL in College football and OSU's front 4 gave them fits all day.

Also, OSU ran with USC....they are as fast as any team in college, and I hope we can finally put THAT myth to bed.

IMO, OSU runs the table, goes 11-1, and if the chips fall the right way (they lost early, and only dropped to 11), they COULD make it back to the big dance. Pryor will have to get better each game though, and their REAL focus needs to be winning the Big Ten, which is very doable. PSU is their big obstacle, and it's in Happy Valley, but the defense I saw Saturday night is the best Buck's D since 2002, and PSU will have trouble scoring on them.

USC, barring a choke (they will be favored to win every game this year by at least a TD), should win out and play a home game for the championship this year...

lilyoder6
09-14-2009, 10:54 AM
it was a good game...

and who said the true freshman would do fine.. me.. lol...

and i will say that jooe mcknight is a f'ning beast as the rb from osu..

revefsreleets
09-14-2009, 02:10 PM
it was a good game...

and who said the true freshman would do fine.. me.. lol...

and i will say that jooe mcknight is a f'ning beast as the rb from osu..

He had a crappy game...but so did Pryor...

Barkley: 15 of 31, 195, took 2 sacks, threw a pick and 0 TD's
Pryor: 11 of 25 for 177, took one HUGE sack, and threw a pick

It was such a defensive battle, and the two teams were so evenly matched it was scary...

SteelersinCA
09-15-2009, 09:28 AM
I knew it would be a defensive battle, however I was incorrect in thinking it would be Barkely who needed to manage the intimidating atmosphere of the shoe. As much as I don't think Pryor is the real deal at OSU, I was really surprised how poorly he played. He needed to run more and Revs is right he looked like he consciously made decisions not to run when he could have in order to prove he could pass. His passes were fine but his progression and decision making was flat out miserable.

I was listening to Colin Cowherd and he advanced the argument that Tressel did the right thing by pinning USC deep in the Shoe the WHOLE game. Not sure how I feel about it but as time goes on, I blame Tressel less and Pryor more.

revefsreleets
09-15-2009, 09:52 AM
That's my take...he played "Tressel ball" to perfection, and EVERY player on the field delivered but Pryor. Pryor was right when he said the Bucks should have won by 2 TD's, but wrong for not taking 100% blame on himself. HE was the reason they lost by three instead of won by 14. He should have rushed 20 times and passed for 15 instead of 10 and 25.

rbryan
09-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Is it too late to convert Pryor to LB????

revefsreleets
09-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Is it too late to convert Pryor to LB????

God, I hope not...the OSU LB'ers looked better than last years group!

I think Pryor will be fine as long as he realizes that, for at least another year, he needs to run first and pass second...if he learns to do what Troy Smith did, which was, off the boot, take a step forward like he is going to run, then step back and pass, he can be a devastatingly effective passer, but he needs to be a run first guy in order to pull those DB's up on the fake...

Polamalufan117
10-08-2009, 08:00 PM
glad there is a thread for this

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!

revefsreleets
10-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Not sure how good Wiscy actually is, but anytime you play an undefeated team this late in the season you have to take them seriously.

Two big physical teams, and in this era of spread 'em and throw it, it's fun to watch two teams line up and punch each other in the mouth for 3 hours.

xfl2001fan
10-12-2009, 06:22 AM
That was about as ugly a win as I've seen in a while. Wisconsin was better than I gave them credit for.

revefsreleets
10-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Wiscy averaged 35 points game coming into Saturday's game. They held the ball for FORTY TWO minutes and OSU held them to 13 points.

The defense is certainly good enough to keep them in the NC picture this year....it's probably the best defense in the country, or very close to it...

NeilHirsch
10-12-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm a Steelers fan, i'm 20 yrs old, and i loooove the steelers. i was wearing a Kordell Stewart jersey as early as 1997, at 8 years old. and i've never stopped following them

that being said, i'm a diehard Indians fan, and an even bigger Cavs fan. I could care less about the Browns because they weren't around when I got into football. What respectful Steelers fan has a problem with that? when it comes down to it, i'm always rooting for the Steelers. Isn't that what it's all about

MasterOfPuppets
10-17-2009, 04:27 PM
go purdue !!!! :tt02:

OSU ---> :buttkick: <-----BCS

revefsreleets
10-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Terrelle Pryor is absolute garbage. I've never actually SEEN a player regress as a year wore on, but he's definitely there. Although he's freakishly gifted, he simply lacks the mental make-up to play QB. He makes horrible decisions, can't read a defense, and relies FAR too much on his athleticism.

Purdue is NOT a quality football program. OSU outmatched them talent-wise at every position but one. But Purdue outplayed the Buckeyes, out-"hearted" the Buckeyes, and outcoached the Buckeyes, yet, had Tressel pulled Pryor in the 3rd quarter, they'd probably have pulled the win out and would be ranked no lower than 6th and still squarely in the title hunt.

Now they will likely lose to both Iowa and PSU, end up only top 40 and play Air Force in the Holiday Bowl....and that's exactly what they deserve...

Tressel needs to bench Pryor immediately. Send his 80 IQ and on-campus posse and his Mike Vick eye-black right to the pine...it's the only way to win the Big Ten and salvage the season...

Dino 6 Rings
10-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Terrelle Pryor is absolute garbage. I've never actually SEEN a player regress as a year wore on, but he's definitely there. Although he's freakishly gifted, he simply lacks the mental make-up to play QB. He makes horrible decisions, can't read a defense, and relies FAR too much on his athleticism.

Purdue is NOT a quality football program. OSU outmatched them talent-wise at every position but one. But Purdue outplayed the Buckeyes, out-"hearted" the Buckeyes, and outcoached the Buckeyes, yet, had Tressel pulled Pryor in the 3rd quarter, they'd probably have pulled the win out and would be ranked no lower than 6th and still squarely in the title hunt.

Now they will likely lose to both Iowa and PSU, end up only top 40 and play Air Force in the Holiday Bowl....and that's exactly what they deserve...

Tressel needs to bench Pryor immediately. Send his 80 IQ and on-campus posse and his Mike Vick eye-black right to the pine...it's the only way to win the Big Ten and salvage the season...

yeah but tell us how you really feel :chuckle:

revefsreleets
10-19-2009, 09:02 AM
I was just disgusted at what I saw Saturday. There is simply no excuse for losing to a POS program like Purdue...OSU IS overrated, and they ARE poorly coached.

Tress needs to revamp his offense and run an SEC-style spread, which helps hide the flaws in athletic QB's. He's asking Pryor to do too much, and it is a huge FAIL!

The defense is still awesome, but they can't STAY off the field between the awful 3 and outs and the poor ball protection skills of Pryor. Make a nice stand? Want to rest for a few minutes? NO! Pryor just fumbled. Pitch a 3 and out and give the offense some nice field position? Expect a 5 minute 40 yard scoring drive? NO! Pryor just locked on a blanketed WR and threw a gawdawful INT. Back on the field with you!

Eff Pryor! Knock him down a peg and bench him. Start Bauserman next week!

rbryan
10-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Still think I was just being a hater when I told you last year that Joe Pa would have made him a Linebacker.

Seriously though, Pryor is an amazing talent, he just isn't a pro-style QB. He will still have a good college career once Tressel realizes that and takes advantage of his strengths instead of forcing him into something he will never be.

revefsreleets
10-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Still think I was just being a hater when I told you last year that Joe Pa would have made him a Linebacker.

Seriously though, Pryor is an amazing talent, he just isn't a pro-style QB. He will still have a good college career once Tressel realizes that and takes advantage of his strengths instead of forcing him into something he will never be.

He's no LB, and he's fine material for a college QB. Look at Jamarcus Russel or Tim Tebow...those guys excel in the right system but neither is anywhere near a REAL NFL QB type guy.

They should probably just run the option and let him throw the ball about 12-15 times a game MAX, regardless of circumstances. The holes in his game are numerous...if you make him think, he'll throw jump balls or into traffic. If you let him wander around in the pocket he won't protect the ball. Also, why did OSU abandon Brandon Saine? He had ONLY 7 rushes, but for 32 yards (4.6 a carry). He also caught a pass for 40...why not try the high percentage pass into the flats and let Saine work in space?

The whole thing makes no sense to me...

lilyoder6
10-19-2009, 06:00 PM
how the mighty has fallen....

got 2 love it

revefsreleets
10-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Nothing will ever change the fact that Michigan and PSU recruited him as heavily as they possibly could....comical to that the loss of the player still stings after a couple years...

lilyoder6
10-20-2009, 08:55 AM
how can it sting a yrs... programs loses recruits evry where.. they move on..

i think after being talked up like he was during the offseason.. and then shitting the bed.. must hurt a lot more

revefsreleets
10-20-2009, 09:36 AM
I'll chuckle if he plays a great game and they beat PSU....

MasterOfPuppets
10-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Buckeyes' Pryor makes Tressel, OSU fans sweat
by Bruce Hooley, Special to FOXSports.com

Updated: October 22, 2009, 3:19 PM EDT

Ohio State fans once feared they would have Terrelle Pryor as their quarterback for only three seasons.

Now, they're afraid they might be stuck with him for four.

With no backups ready to replace him, and no Matt Barkley- or Tate Forcier-type recruits headed to Columbus, Pryor is more than the Buckeyes' quarterback of the present.

The excitement surrounding Terrelle Pryor has waned considerably. (Jamie Sabau / Getty Images)

He's their quarterback of the future.

That scared opponents when Pryor broke on to the scene as a true freshman starter four games into last season, helping head coach Jim Tressel win a fourth straight Big Ten championship.

But that fear has rapidly turned inward on Buckeye Nation, with Pryor having already thrown twice as many interceptions (eight) this season as he did all of last year on six fewer pass attempts, no less. ( :shout: abandon the jock strap !!! )

Two of those picks and two lost fumbles marked Pryor's performance Saturday in a 26-18 loss at Purdue.

The Boilermakers were 1-5, tied for last place in the Big Ten, and had 20 turnovers through six games to rank 119th among 120 FBS teams in that category.

Right off the top, reject the notion that OSU's visit prompted Purdue to morph into a sound team that located a long-lost supply of stickum from Lester Hayes' locker.

Ohio State claimed three turnovers from the Boilermakers, including a shot-putted halfback pass from the OSU 11-yard line that killed a scoring drive and a lost fumble at the Purdue 43. An 18-yard punt to the Purdue 30-yard line also presented OSU a gift-wrapped scoring opportunity.

Pryor followed the 18-yard punt by fumbling the ball back on the ensuing series.

He directed a three-and-out after the Boilermakers' botched halfback pass, killing only 25 seconds of the 51 ticks that remained in the first half, thus allowing Purdue time to get a go-ahead field goal on the last snap before the break.

And when Purdue's Joey Elliott threw his only pick two plays after Pryor's first interception in the third quarter, Pryor obliged with his second interception three plays after that.

You might say the Buckeyes in losing for the first time since 2005 to an opponent not to make a BCS bowl in that same season suffered from a serious case of Pryor restraint.

Well, you might say that unless you're Tressel, any of Pryor's teammates or, apparently, anyone drawing a paycheck from The Ohio State University.

Just for kicks and giggles, log onto OhioStateBuckeyes.com and read the school's official web site recapping the loss to Purdue.

The first paragraph reads:

"Ohio State made a valiant comeback behind 177 yards of fourth-quarter offense from Terrelle Pryor, but Purdue's defense did just enough to hang on for the 26-18 victory."

Notice: Pryor was nearly the hero, and nary a mention of his four turnovers or the paltry 110 yards OSU gained through three quarters.

Later the story read:

"Ohio State's dismal day included five turnovers three lost fumbles and two interceptions."

Notice: No mention of Pryor having four of the five turnovers, not anywhere in the story.

And finally:

Ohio State fumbled on its second play of the game.

Notice: Pryor didn't fumble; Ohio State did.

That kid-glove treatment of the nation's former No. 1 recruit has been standard procedure at OSU since Pryor arrived.

Not until three weeks ago had he ever been made available to speak with reporters except in postgame or preseason media day settings.

That's painted Pryor as somewhere between reclusive and dismissive.

What he's shown himself to be since the verbal shackles have been loosened is a thoughtful, approachable young man who belies the pampered, coach's-pet reputation that's dogged him since taking over for Todd Boeckman last season after a 35-3 loss at USC.

Boeckman committed two turnovers in that game one an interception returned for a touchdown and the other a fumble when blasted by a back-side linebacker untouched on a blitz.

In announcing Boeckman's demotion to second-team two days later, Tressel said the reigning first-team All-Big Ten QB who directed OSU to an appearance in the BCS title game the year before "erred" on the fumble.

"It was the quarterback's hot read," Tressel said then. "Our expectations above all others are these: you make big plays, you make great decisions, you don't turn the ball over, and that's how you'll be evaluated above all other things. We're going to evaluate your footwork, how you carry out your fakes, we're going to evaluate every little thing. But not like we'll evaluate what we call those 'big three."

Saturday, after Pryor's four turnovers at Purdue, Tressel was asked about what transpired on the two interceptions.

"I can't remember exactly which ones we're talking about," he said of Pryor's 29 pass attempts.

Three times, Tressel was asked if he considered sitting Pryor for even one series against the Boilermakers.

Jim Tressel has handled Pryor much differently than he handled Todd Boeckman last year. (Jamie Sabau / Getty Images)

The answer was a flat, "No," each time.

"Any time you don't do what you hoped to do, which starts with not taking care of the ball, you're very concerned," Tressel said. "You can't go on and have mistakes like that."

That's as close as the OSU coach came to singling out Pryor for his turnovers, which places it in another hemisphere from how he fingered Boeckman the year before.

Asked Tuesday why he yanked Boeckman, but didn't consider doing so even for one series with Pryor, Tressel said: "I'm not sure they are comparable at all. They don't feel to me as being similar situations."

Boeckman was a sixth-year senior when removed, and Pryor is but a true sophomore.

The thinking among optimistic OSU fans is Pryor will develop into what he was hyped to be once he is more seasoned.

But is chronological age the best barometer of how a quarterback should play, or is experience under center a better gauge?

Boeckman made 16 career starts before being benched.

Likewise, Purdue was Pryor's 16th career start.

What appears different about the two situations is Tressel clearly lacks the same faith in current backup Joe Bauserman that he had in Pryor last season.

The 6-6, 235-pound Pryor was like a new toy Tressel couldn't wait until Christmas morning to open.

The two are an odd marriage the flash and sizzle, high-wire quarterback and the sweater-vested control freak whose risk tolerance isn't too far removed from Woody Hayes' axiom that three things can happen when you pass and two of them are bad.

Tressel's oft-stated formula for winning requires "relentless defense, superior special teams and mistake-free offense."

"...You're sort of like a superstar. And you start maybe thinking too much of yourself and losing your head a little bit and losing focus."
Terrelle Pryor

OSU's average national ranking of 66th in total offense during Tressel's nine seasons confirms his no-running-with-scissors philosophy when possessing the football.

Pryor, though, is a breathless juggling act of flying butcher knives and chainsaws.

One play he'll make pursuers look foolish with a wondrous scramble and effortless speed, and he'll occasionally tantalize with a laser thrown perfectly on time.

The next snap, he's loathe to run in the open field and heaves wounded wobblers that hang in the air as long as the migrating ducks they imitate.

Sometimes, the two Terrelles merge into a fusion of risk and reward.

His 25-yard touchdown pass Saturday at Purdue hung in the heavens so long observers half expected 6-year-old balloon boy, Falcon Heene, to come down with it.

Thank goodness the Dallas Football Classic, where Big Ten teams will begin playing in the postseason next year, is scheduled for the Cotton Bowl and not Cowboys Stadium.

If not, punters wouldn't imperil Jerry Jones' Jumbotron nearly as much as one of Pryor's occasional dirigibles.

Just like a doctor who recommends taking two aspirin before calling him in the morning, OSU receives a magic pill this week with Minnesota and next week with New Mexico State visiting the Horseshoe.

That gives Tressel, and Pryor, a fortnight to figure out how to contend with a November that takes the Buckeyes to Penn State and Michigan around a home date against unbeaten Iowa.

Navigating what passes for the closest thing to a gauntlet in the woebegone Big Ten seems a high mountain to climb, but keep in mind Tressel's teams are 24-4 in November.

That mark is sure to suffer if Pryor doesn't reduce his turnovers and improve a pass-efficiency rating that ranks ninth in the Big Ten after leading that category a year ago.

"Let's be real," Pryor said. "If any of us were the quarterback at Ohio State, and you've got all these people around you, you're sort of like a superstar. And you start maybe thinking too much of yourself and losing your head a little bit and losing focus."

To get dialed in, Pryor has spoken with Miami quarterback Jacory Harris whose Hurricanes will play at OSU next season. And he also spoke to a guy who knows a thing or two about high school hype. A guy who just happened to be in Columbus playing an exhibition game on Wednesday.

The fella's name is LeBron James.

Is it possible The Chosen One can transform Pryor from turnover prone to touchdown producer?

Let's just say, Ohio State fans hope they are all witnesses.
sounds like kordell stewart syndrome

revefsreleets
10-23-2009, 10:07 AM
There's no question he has the skills to play the position...his problem, IMO, is his football IQ and his dedication to his craft. The rumors are (and there's no reason NOT to believe them, given what we've seen on the filed) is that he's a lazy film student, is more interested in the BMOC role than leading his team, and just generally doesn't put in the hours required.

revefsreleets
10-30-2009, 03:36 PM
New Mexico State this week. They are DEAD LAST in offense in D-1. There is no conceivable way that the Bucks lose, but they may find a way to look bad in winning.

At least this is a D-1 foe. Tress said they were having some difficulty finding an opponent for this game, since no real legit BCS team would dream of playing Ohio State at the end of October in the Shoe...even in an "off year"...

Both PSU and OSU will come into their match-up next week as top 15 teams as Southern Miss will beat Houston, USC will beat Oregon, and Texas will beat Okie State moving OSU up to #14.

MasterOfPuppets
11-14-2009, 04:31 PM
GO IOWA !!! :tt02::cheer: all tied up now...

Texasteel
11-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Congratulations Ohio St. It was a great game, our young QB just couldn't pull it off.

:tt04:Proud To Be A Hawkeye!:tt04:

MasterOfPuppets
11-14-2009, 06:02 PM
worst coaching EVER !!! why in the hell would you not take advantage of those 52 seconds and a timeout and try to get into field goal range ??? freshmen qb..:blah::blah::blah:.... i bet they're regretting it now...:doh:

sharkweek
11-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Brandon Saine would look good in black and gold :wink02:

Seriously though, I'm extremely impressed with his ability to run and catch, he would be an excellent weapon to add to Ben's arsenal.

Nadroj 20
11-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Big Ten Champs!! Go Buckeyes!!!

St33lersguy
11-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Now we get to watch Ohio State get thrashed in the Rose Bowl

SteelersinCA
11-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Now we get to watch Ohio State get thrashed in the Rose Bowl

They won't get thrashed, however, I think it's a shame that two 2 loss teams get to play in a BCS game. Hell you could have a 3 loss team playing there if UM gets lucky. I think there should be minimum qualifications for BCS games, like if you lose 2 games you don't get to go to a BCS game.

revefsreleets
11-16-2009, 11:46 AM
I'd much rather see a two loss OSU or LSU in a big bowl game than a no loss TCU or Boise...they just don't play the schedule to warrant that kind of recognition...and as long as things stand the way they are, that will not change.

In fact, I'm looking at Cinci's schedule and they haven't beat anybody either.

TCU's signature win was against overrate overrated Utah.
Boise's against inconsistent Oregon.

And the rest of the schedule of those three teams was laughable. There are only about 4-5 "quality wins" amongst 36 games...that's not BCS worthy....

As far as the Iowa game, Tressel played Tressel ball...except this time it worked. ULTRA-conservative, run the ball, play good ST, and play solid defense.

That frosh QB looks like he has a bright future, though...and whoever that freshman left tackle is, he is going to be a STUD. He held his own against Heyward as good as any tackles all year. He may look good in the B&G some day....

xfl2001fan
11-16-2009, 02:52 PM
I think that Cinci could give most "BCS" teams a run for their money...and probably TCU as well. I'm not 100% sold on Boise ST, but I haven't watched them play either.

I think that if they played in one of the bigger conferences, they'd be exposed as a mid-tier team who has a lot of fight...but not near the talent as some of your perennial contendors.

That being said, I would rather see an undefeated TCU/Cinci get a BCS game over a 2-loss LSU. (Gotta disagree with you on this one Revs). I think that there's a reason why LSU has lost two games...and if it gets to that point, you should be giving some of these other smaller/lesser known schools a chance.

43Hitman
11-16-2009, 03:05 PM
As far as the Iowa game, Tressel played Tressel ball...except this time it worked. ULTRA-conservative, run the ball, play good ST, and play solid defense.

That frosh QB looks like he has a bright future, though...and whoever that freshman left tackle is, he is going to be a STUD. He held his own against Heyward as good as any tackles all year. He may look good in the B&G some day....

Thanks for the kind words about Iowa, they far exceeded my expectations for them this year. I think Vandenburg is going to be a great player, he looked really good in his first start. Maybe if we were not on our fourth running back we could have ran the ball better against OSU. Never know though. I really like our DE but I think he is a senior, not sure though. Claiborne(sp?) is his name.

revefsreleets
11-17-2009, 08:56 AM
LSU lost two games this year because they play like 8 quality opponents. In fact, LSU alone played more games against better teams than Boise, Cinci and TCU COMBINED.

A for Iowa, I was talking about the freshman OLT. He held Cam Hayward in check, and no other team this year has managed that, not USC, not Wiscy, not PSU...

Back to BCS stuff. How do you think Cinci or TCU or Boise would fare if they had to play:
At Washington
At Miss St
At Georgia
Florida
Auburn
At Alabama
Mississippi

SteelMember
11-17-2009, 10:06 AM
LSU lost to the #1 and #2 teams respectively in Florida and Alabama. I think that should put them way ahead of an undefeated Cinci, TCU or Boise imo.

Of those three though, I would give Cinci more props for their Big East Schedule. Although, they still have some tough games left versus Illinios(senior day) and @ Pitt. They could be out of the picture after those two.

revefsreleets
11-17-2009, 10:30 AM
That's a good point...although Illinois has been playing better lately, I don't think they have the juice to knock off the Bearcats...but Pitt DEFINITELY can and probably will knock Cinci out of the picture (the game is at Heinz Field).

So there's one.

TCU will win out...they play absolutely nobody the rest of the season (which is pretty much exactly how the first half of their season was). Boise State is in the same boat. They will both win out.

I'm just hoping Bama stays undefeated until their match-up with Florida (who is playing D-1 powerhouse Florida International this week), Bama wins that and plays Texas (who only have Kansas and a mediocre Texas A&M left) in the big game.

Better yet, maybe FSU knocks Florida out of the picture, Bama hands Florida it's SECOND loss and we have the same match-up...

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey, anybody notice the passing of Chris Speilman's wife after a lengthy battle with cancer?? That sucks, as I can remember him shaving his head early in his career as a Lion when she was going thru chemotherapy. He's a solid guy and she's a fighter too that battled it into remission 4 times. Just respecting some good people that happen to be buckeyes.

tony hipchest
11-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Hey, anybody notice the passing of Chris Speilman's wife after a lengthy battle with cancer??

i noticed. i said i was gonna post a positive thread about an OSU player in the ted ginn is a bust thread as an act of good faith, but i guess i forgot about it/blew it off after it was locked down.

anyways...

barry sanders was my favorite modern day era player (who is not a steeler) and i watched every televised game he ever played in.

so by default i always rooted for the lions and became a huge fan of chris speilman. he was everything that is right about the nfl and i loved watching him play on defense while barry wasnt on the field.

peter king was on sirius radio early morning after her passing (said some really nice words) and reminded me of this article he wrote about 10 years ago.

for anyone who dont know about their story, read this...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1014781/1/index.htm

from his twitter page-

In 1998, Chris Spielman took the year off from football to take care of Stefanie and their two children. I visited the house that fall ...

She told me the day she had her head shaved in advance of losing all her hair, Chris shaved his head without telling her ...

... and showed up back home with his bald head nicked and bleeding. She cried.

Chris Spielman gave tickets to slain Iowa HS football coach Ed Thomas' family for the Iowa-Ohio State game last weekend. 7:41 AM Nov 20th from TweetDeck

i posted kings article on ed thomas a while back. kudos to chris. :thumbsup: tremendous person and one hell of a player.

and while they didnt quite rival barry sanders 2 other favorite non steelers rbs happened to be OSU rb's robert smith and eddie george.

pure class.

revefsreleets
11-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Hey, anybody notice the passing of Chris Speilman's wife after a lengthy battle with cancer?? That sucks, as I can remember him shaving his head early in his career as a Lion when she was going thru chemotherapy. He's a solid guy and she's a fighter too that battled it into remission 4 times. Just respecting some good people that happen to be buckeyes.

Speilman has always been a class guy....he played the game right, and was the right kind of guy off the field too...

During the OSU/UM game, Sean McDonough was literally brought to tears when he announced Stephanie's passing the previous Thursday. He couldn't keep the emotiojn out of his voice...They used to be an ESPN announcing team and he obviously grew very close to the family.

xfl2001fan
01-13-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2010/01/uscs_loss_could_be_ohio_states.html

It'd sure be nice to have that hoss come anchor our line for the next 3-4 years.

revefsreleets
01-15-2010, 09:49 AM
I watched him play in the Army All-Star game Saturday...he is a MONSTER. He moves incredibly smoothly for a guy that big. Being only 18, there is a chance that weight will be an issue later, but, believe it or not, he carries 340 well...being 6'8" certainly helps.

This would give the 2010 recruiting class a nice boost.