PDA

View Full Version : Spencer or Timmons - we find out in 2009

thumper
07-04-2009, 10:53 AM
I recall after the 2007 draft many fans were debating whether or not Pgh should have drafted Anthony Spencer instead of Timmons in the first round. Those in favor of taking Spencer cite that he is bigger than Timmons while being just as fast.

Up through last season, it was beginning to appear that Timmons was the better pick; Timmons hadn't done all that much in the NFL but he was showing flashes that seemed to indicate he could "blow up" as a LB but Spencer had done next to nothing.

At closer inspection, however, Spencer was having a stellar pre-season last year and, according to The Sporting News (TSN) looked like the best LB on the Cowboy's roster, but suffered a broken bone in his knee. And as he was rebounding from that, had a hammie come up lame. TSN chose Spencer as their #1 most likely NFL player to have the biggest breakout season of everyone in the NFL. With Ellis off the roster, Spencer has the starting OLB spot.

Even though Spencer and Timmons won't be playing the same position (but both are LBs) it should be the definitive year to access which player was the better draft pick.

I still like Timmon's chances to prove a bigger play maker. His bursts are unreal. And if he is totally comfortable with the scheme this season, he is going to do big things. I love the thought of Harrison, Farrior (the QB of the group), Timmons and Woodley on the field, smokin' fools, droppin' punks. :thumbsup:

Men of Steel
07-04-2009, 11:58 AM
difference is Timmons has a very very veeery GOOOD defense on his side... he is surrounded by many great and talented veterans and the LB core is already ferocious and terrifying to other teams.... now u throw in the mix a very well talented LB with huuuge potential...

i like Timmons' chances

tony hipchest
07-04-2009, 12:12 PM
there were also alot of fans who wanted bobby carpenter and /or paul posluzny.

i think timmons turns out better than all but if not we still have the consolation prize of l. woodley.

lilyoder6
07-04-2009, 12:43 PM
paul posluzny is doing rly well for the bills defense right now... so idk bout him..

but booby carpenter is def a bust so far

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-04-2009, 01:23 PM

i think timmons turns out better than all but if not we still have the consolation prize of l. woodley.

I wanted Adam Carricker, Derrelle Revis or trade down and get somebody like Ben Grubbs, Justin Blaylock, Tony Ugoh or Lamaar Woodley at the bottom if the 1st.

We got good players, but still think we could have fortified the lines better by trading down. Spencer just looked like Napoleon Harris to me back then. Good player, but not the right fit for the Steelers at OLB.

thumper
07-04-2009, 02:18 PM
difference is Timmons has a very very veeery GOOOD defense on his side... he is surrounded by many great and talented veterans and the LB core is already ferocious and terrifying to other teams.... now u throw in the mix a very well talented LB with huuuge potential...

i like Timmons' chances

Pgh's D is crazy good. But Dallas has one that's very good too. #8 over all with a good pass rush. D Ware led the league with 20 sacks, so that is on the other side of where Spencer will be coming, which is a big advantage. Timmons will also benefit from offenses having to account for Silverback and Woodley on the end, while LT can come up through the middle. Wow. That is exciting

MasterOfPuppets
07-04-2009, 03:44 PM
I wanted Adam Carricker, Derrelle Revis or trade down and get somebody like Ben Grubbs, Justin Blaylock, Tony Ugoh or Lamaar Woodley at the bottom if the 1st.

We got good players, but still think we could have fortified the lines better by trading down. Spencer just looked like Napoleon Harris to me back then. Good player, but not the right fit for the Steelers at OLB.
thats where i was with it... i felt and still do to a degree, that they should've trade down to the mid 20's and got grubbs or blaylock. considering we were losing our best linemen in faneca. i also thought timmons would even had still been there ...:noidea:. i wonder if the browns made them an offer to get back in to get quinn......they could have probably gotten timmons AND blaylock...
i rember a lot of people wanting leon hall also.

Galax Steeler
07-05-2009, 07:13 AM
I say we made the right pick in Timmons. The more I watched him last year the more I like what I am seeing from this kid. This year should be a good year for him.

moedap
07-05-2009, 08:26 AM
At closer inspection, however, Spencer was having a stellar pre-season last year and, according to The Sporting News (TPN) looked like the best LB on the Cowboy's roster, but suffered a broken bone in his knee. And as he was rebounding from that, had a hammie come up lame. TSN chose Spencer as their #1 most likely NFL player to have the biggest breakout season of everyone in the NFL. With Ellis off the roster, Spencer has the starting OLB spot.
:

Spencer sounds like he is prone to injuries so I would say Timmons was the better pick

AllD
07-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Pgh's D is crazy good. But Dallas has one that's very good too. #8 over all with a good pass rush. D Ware led the league with 20 sacks, so that is on the other side of where Spencer will be coming, which is a big advantage. Timmons will also benefit from offenses having to account for Silverback and Woodley on the end, while LT can come up through the middle. Wow. That is exciting

There is a huge difference between #8 and #1 in D's last year. There were the top three and then all the rest.

mckeesrockstheburg
07-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Timmons on Woodley's side presents huge issues on who to block and where. Timmons will make def. backs better as quicker reads by QB's means mistakes. Troy and Gay go to the ball. Ike covers their Aces so they have to go to other side. Gay can catch too! Def. will be even better this yr!

thumper
07-05-2009, 10:44 AM

I don't know how they missed on Carpenter so badly. So far, he has appeared to be so soft. He is big, and can run, but he just doesn't seem physical enough to be worthy of his draft slot. Definitely glad we have Timmons over Carp.

thumper
07-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Spencer sounds like he is prone to injuries so I would say Timmons was the better pick

If Spencer gets hurt again this year, then, yea, I'd call him injury-prone. But like I said, we will see this year.

jjpro11
07-05-2009, 01:02 PM
I think the big debate was Poz vs Timmons. Being a big Penn at fan, I wanted Poz all the way. But if Timmons can be the gamechanger I think he can be, I will be very happy we took him.

tony hipchest
07-05-2009, 01:19 PM
the prior year the big debate was carpenter, holmes, lendale, mangold.

bobby definitely turned out to be the stinker of the bunch. holmes has lived up to the pick and mangold woulda been a nice choice too.

i still think we woulda gone revis-woodley had the jets not leapfrogged us.

Steel Head
07-05-2009, 08:03 PM
dumb thread IMO

Spencer is the same type of player as Woodley (Woodley is better though). Timmons can do it all

We clearly made the right choice

The Definiti0n
07-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Carpenter was the 06 draft. That year I wanted Cromartie but I knew soon as he was picked ahead of us that we would take either Holmes or Chad Jackson.

In 07 I had little doubt that we take Timmons. Our FO did a terrible job keeping it a secret but I wanted Revis.

tony hipchest
07-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Carpenter was the 06 draft. That year I wanted Cromartie but I knew soon as he was picked ahead of us that we would take either Holmes or Chad Jackson.
.thank you for clearing that up :rolleyes:

in the following draft, the steelers may have very well taken revis at #16 had the jets not leapfrogged them and selected him at #15.

but i think this has already been covered.

steelreserve
07-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Why does anyone care which one ends up technically rated higher? I'm very happy with the guy we picked, and he's kicked ass for us. That's good enough for me -- nice job with the pick.