PDA

View Full Version : Training camp three weeks away

mesaSteeler
07-06-2009, 12:41 AM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

Training camp three weeks away
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Training camp is three weeks away and I can already feel the excitement about the upcoming football season building.

The Steelers don't have a lot of position battles this season, but they have some things worth watching.

Who will be the starting right guard, Darnell Stapleton, Kraig Urbik or darkhorse Trai Essex?

That's right. Essex could be a factor at that position.

The starting cornerback position is William Gay's to lose and he will have to fall flat on his face or get hurt to do so.

But who will be No. 3? Deshea Townsend again? One of the rookies? Keiwan Ratliff?

Ratliff has younger legs, but you can never count our Townsend. And the rookies, particularly Keenan Lewis, looked good this spring.

The other big battle will be fo the No. 3 receiver spot. I think Shaun McDonald may steal that one from Limas Sweed.

McDonald would give the team the ability to keep Hines Ward on the outside or shift him to the slot if it so chooses. If Sweed's on the field, Ward has to go to the slot.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Mark my words.

McDonald is this year's MeMo.

JackHammer
07-06-2009, 01:45 AM
I can't wait to see how Keenan Lewis does in camp. I'm not gonna have too high of expectations for a rookie in our defense, but he has a lot of things pointing towards him being the real deal. Should be an interesting camp all around though, too. Can't wait!!

theplatypus
07-06-2009, 05:48 AM
I can't wait to see what new defensive scheme the master has come up with.

theplatypus
07-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Mark my words.

McDonald is this year's MeMo.

You're really going out on a limb there.

Galax Steeler
07-06-2009, 06:34 AM
I can't wait for trainning camp I am bitting my nails off waiting for that day.

HometownGal
07-06-2009, 07:29 AM
TC is always very exciting watching the guys giving it their all to impress the coaches, but I so enjoy the first 2 preseason games where the real competition takes shape. :applaudit:

mulldog24
07-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Stapleton,Urbik,and Essex, WOW!!! Now that's going to be interesting at the battle for RG in TC!!

Galax Steeler
07-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Stapleton,Urbik,and Essex, WOW!!! Now that's going to be interesting at the battle for RG in TC!!

I just have a feeling that urbik will slide in there and take that position this year.

SteelKid212
07-06-2009, 11:02 AM
with all the speculation... and expectations... and high hopes that have come with the OTAs and whatnot..... sure ppl will begin to assume this guy will start.. or that guy.

but like Coach T... i believe... even though ppl might look good running around in shorts.... the real talent will show once the pads come on.

Training camp is the deciding factor right now... and at this point still... anything goes.

KeiselPower99
07-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Cant wait. I think Im gonna make a trip over to Latrobe this summer.

MasterOfPuppets
07-06-2009, 12:23 PM
You're really going out on a limb there.
is he ???

Although it’s football in shorts, our favorite insider Jim Wexell said in his latest update on Steelers OTA’s that Sweed won’t be the team’s no. 3 WR this year. He said the favorite right now has to be Shaun MCDonald, not that he has shown much either. The reason? No one else appears capable of running those inside routes that veteran slot receivers can run. Sweed also had a rough day on Wednesday catching the football, with 2 big drops.

- And the person who Wex feels has the only real chance of beating out McDonald for the open slot receiver spot? Street free agent WR Brandon Williams.

- A big day for punt returners. Wex said that Stefan Logan, who teammates have nicknamed “Half-pint”, will have a fan following by training camp because of his quickness. Apparently, Tomlin is taking a liking to the guy as well. After Logan went deep to snag a ball over his shoulder, Tomlin asked him if he had ever played baseball before, and told him to catch the next deep one like a center fielder. A few kicks later, Logan took his eyes off the ball, ran to a spot, just like he was Willie Mays, turned, picked up the ball and caught it easily. Tomlin’s response? “There you go!”

- While Logan impressed, Wex said he believes 5th-rounder Joe Burnett is the leader for the PR gig, showing poise and polish beyond his years. He believes Burnett is a natural punt-catcher and knows exactly what he wants to do with the ball and where he wants to go. He asked an assistant coach if Burnett has a good chance to be the no. 1 PR. The AC said Burnett has a “GREAT” chance to be the man. We all know who is the no. 1 KR, he of the 4.28 speed in the 40 and stylist Mohawk, Mr. Mike “Just Watch Me Take It 2 The House” Wallace.

- Wex noted that 3rd-round rookie CB Keenan Lewis flashed pro recovery speed to break up a deep pass intended for Brandon Williams on one play. Did I mention before that Wex, D. Lolley and a few scouts attending the Steelers practices really like this Williams kid?

- Catch of the day went to Heath Miller, who turned CB/S Roy Lewis around on one play to get behind him and haul in a deep pass. On the next play, Big Ben scrambled, motioned for TE Matt Spaeth to break deep, but he couldn’t lose Lewis, who broke up the pass.

That’s it for now.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...s-separate-ben

pancake
07-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Who is this Brandon Williams kid?