PDA

View Full Version : Times good for Pittsburgh fans

mesaSteeler
07-06-2009, 01:43 AM
http://www.publicopiniononline.com/hssports/ci_12660168
Times good for Pittsburgh fans
By FRANK BODANI

Daily Record/Sunday News

It's cool to be a Pittsburgh sports fan now.

Even cooler than it was 30 years ago when the city and its followers enjoyed another amazing dose of success, even more substantial than this one.

But times were different then, the city was different, the perception of Pittsburgh was different.

Thirty years ago?

The city, just emerging from the decline of the steel industry and its terrible smoky, dirty image, was given a tremendous gift: two major sports championship only three months apart, including a stirring World Series rally by the Pirates.

The Steelers won their fourth Super Bowl a bit later, and even Pitt football was in the middle of its greatest run in years.

The city needed it bad. And so did its fans.

Thirty years ago?

I remember my strange allegiance to all of Pittsburgh's teams, strange because I was born in Maryland and was growing up in southern York County - suffocated, still, by Baltimore fans.

I remember proudly wearing a light blue "Title Town" T-shirt.

And I remember not having much to brag about for years after, when the Steelers suddenly dove into mediocrity, the Pirates crashed, Penn State blew past Pitt and the Penguins weren't even relevant.

But the great thing about sports is how they always provide hope, how they break your heart but often mend it better than it was
Advertisement
before.

Twenty-five years ago?

I went to Pittsburgh for the first time, a dream trip to Three Rivers Stadium. I remember my ever-resourceful grandmother smuggling food into the stadium so we wouldn't have to "waste" money inside, though the bananas didn't hold up well on a summer Sunday afternoon.

I remember screaming for pitcher Bert Blyleven, though I don't think the Pirates won. It didn't matter.

Twenty years ago?

I ended up living in Pittsburgh for four years while attending college and grew to love it, all of it. The small-town feel. The confusing bridges and god-awful hills and the Western Pennsylvania accents and, of course, ice hockey.

I never was a hockey fan before, but this was easy. Mario Lemieux was in his prime, front-row tickets were available and cheap and the team exploded in front of a city that went mad for it.

I was there when they won their second Stanley Cup and got the privilege of yelling myself voiceless in the middle of thousands of others who were jumping on the back of welcoming, slow-moving trucks in a makeshift midnight parade through the South Side.

Now?

It seems like it's almost all come together for Pittsburgh.

The city's revitalization is a model to all. That's why President Barack Obama and world leaders will be meeting there in September for the G-20 Summit.

The Steelers' popularity continues to surge everywhere. The Penguins won another Stanley Cup and may even build excitement for the entire sport with two of the world's best young talents. And Pitt basketball is on the biggest roll in school history.

This is how good it is for this small "big city:" This is the first time Stanley Cup and Super Bowl winners have come from the same town in the same year.

And though multi-sport titles such as this are rare (Boston did it most recently with the Red Sox and Patriots in 2004), Pittsburgh has done it twice in my lifetime, which makes most of the other sports heartbreaks melt away.

Even as the Pirates try, against odds, to rebuild yet again.

Even that is bearable, in a sense.

That's how good everything else is going.

Frank Bodani is a sportswriter for the Daily Record/Sunday News. Reach him at 771-2104 or fbodani@ydr.com.

Galax Steeler
07-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Nice read Mesa. I cannot think of a city I would rather live in then Pittsburgh. The people are friendly and down to earth. That is why I have been a Steeler fan for 39 years. I will go to my grave being a Steeler fan.:tt02:

Burghfan58
07-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Nice article. Lived in the Burgh from 71 to 74. Needles to say I was hooked. My wife grew up in Pleasant hills and we get back whenever possible. I'm having a blast being a Burghfan right now being that I am surrounded by Eagle and Flyer fans. My recently completed City of Champions banner will be hanging proudly on gamedays.:tt03::tt::tt03::tt:

Steel Head
07-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Penn State blew past Pitt

and they haven't looked back since

Pitt is $hit

HometownGal
07-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Awesome read mesa - thanks! :drink:

I dunno - for me, it has ALWAYS been cool to be a Pittsburgh fan. Over the years, I 've sailed through the highs and lows of all of our sports franchises and college teams because I realized early on that every team was eventually going to have its time in the sun and time in the shade. We have been very fortunate as Steelers fans because of the winning tradition the Rooney family committed to over 3 decades ago :tt02::hatsoff: and since Mario first set skate in the Burgh over 25 years ago, I knew in my heart that the Pens would turn it around and they did. :applaudit::hatsoff:

The Pirates had their days in the sun, but they've been in the shade for what seems like forever. :chuckle:

The_WARDen
07-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Pitt is $hit

I'm sorry, does State Penn even play basketball?

The_WARDen
07-06-2009, 09:02 AM
he had to go and mention the Pirates and RUIN a good story didn't he?

:doh:

KeiselPower99
07-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Thought Id post this.http://cdn3.bumperstickersapp.com/bs/small.3914103.jpg

Jackal
07-06-2009, 09:50 AM

Pitt is $hit

:blah:

Yeah, Penn State's been rattling off BCS Championships the past few years, haven't they...and boy, what a basketball program they have!

Without Pitt, the city wouldn't be seeing its much-heralded economic rebound. Granted, the football team is frustrating at times, but it's still a great school with a great history and promising future---on and off the field.

Men of Steel
07-06-2009, 12:05 PM

but of course... no one or nothing... or in this case.... no CITY is PERFECT. :coffee:

sure one city can be champions in two different sports at one single time... but THREE!??!?? cmon ppl get real :chuckle:

haha

hindes204
07-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I miss living in the burgh, it's been about 9 years since I left. I have about 11 years to go before I retire from the military and there is no doubt in my mind that I will move back the day after i retire

Steel Head
07-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm sorry, does State Penn even play basketball?

lol, you can have that pu$$y sport

Dino 6 Rings
07-06-2009, 12:31 PM
lol, you can have that pu$$y sport

12-0

PSUSUX has a Big Coward of a coach that will play Syracus and Temple yet refuses to play PITT.

Suck it. Pitt beat you last, and that's all there is to it.

Steel Head
07-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah, Penn State's been rattling off BCS Championships the past few years, haven't they...and boy, what a basketball program they have!

Penn State has been rattling off top-10 and top-25 teams consistently year in and year out whereas Pitt football is consistently an embarassment

Football is king in PA, nobody cares about basketball.

Steel Head
07-06-2009, 12:34 PM
12-0

PSUSUX has a Big Coward of a coach that will play Syracus and Temple yet refuses to play PITT.

Suck it. Pitt beat you last, and that's all there is to it.

you have to be a real idiot to criticize Joe Paterno, way to go

I laugh at the tool coaches who run Pitt....Wannstadt is a born loser and so is Cavanaugh the ex-Raven scum

Dino 6 Rings
07-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Joe Crap Pants, how's he doing these days?

In his entire coaching career at the same school he's won a wopping 1 -1/2 National Titles...Wow, what an Iconic Coach.

T.Richardson
07-06-2009, 02:45 PM

No. Pirates > Steelers in my opinion.

late 80's and early 90's. Pirates were a great team, but the same could not be said for the Steelers who werent. and it reversed in the 90's-00's, Why doesnt anyone take into account that the Steelers were a pretty bad team in the late 80's, and at times the late 90's and disregard that part of history, when the Steelers finally were prevalent when Big Ben came to town.

I just hate it when people proclaim that the Steelers have been a "Great team for years" when the Steelers were average in the late 80's and at times the late 90's. And the Pirates have been a horrible team for years,The 70's Steelers are regularly brought up, but the 70's Pirates arent?

The_WARDen
07-06-2009, 02:58 PM
No. Pirates > Steelers in my opinion.

late 80's and early 90's. Pirates were a great team, but the same could not be said for the Steelers who werent. and it reversed in the 90's-00's, Why doesnt anyone take into account that the Steelers were a pretty bad team in the late 80's, and at times the late 90's and disregard that part of history, when the Steelers finally were prevalent when Big Ben came to town.

I just hate it when people proclaim that the Steelers have been a "Great team for years" when the Steelers were average in the late 80's and at times the late 90's. And the Pirates have been a horrible team for years,The 70's Steelers are regularly brought up, but the 70's Pirates arent?

ummm..the Succos are about to set the MLB record for consecutive losing seasons. The Steelers have just won 2 SB's. By the way, it's 2009 not 1985.

T.Richardson
07-06-2009, 03:06 PM
ummm..the Succos are about to set the MLB record for consecutive losing seasons. The Steelers have just won 2 SB's. By the way, it's 2009 not 1985.

I am aware of the date.

Steelers won 2 Superbowl's, I'm glad, I support the Steelers, but what I dont support is disregarding the Pirates.

The Succos? Nice, we'll see in a few years when some of the Bucs best prospects are brought up, (Tabata, Alvarez, Lincoln, Sanchez and maybe even Ford, Friday, and Walker)

X-Terminator
07-06-2009, 08:10 PM
The Succos? Nice, we'll see in a few years when some of the Bucs best prospects are brought up, (Tabata, Alvarez, Lincoln, Sanchez and maybe even Ford, Friday, and Walker)

...to be shipped off to the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Mets.

tony hipchest
07-06-2009, 08:21 PM
...to be shipped off to the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Mets.....i was just gonna say....

pirates are horrible (theyre my team, but its true).

steelers have had what... 6 seasons below .500 since drafting terry bradshaw with the #1 over all pick?

fansince'76
07-07-2009, 12:01 AM
The 70's Steelers are regularly brought up, but the 70's Pirates arent?

Did the '70s Pirates win 40% of the World Series played during that decade?

T.Richardson
07-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Did the '70s Pirates win 40% of the World Series played during that decade?

no, but 2 World Series Wins is something worth mentioning.

fansince'76
07-07-2009, 12:22 PM
no, but 2 World Series Wins is something worth mentioning.

True, unfortunately they were overshadowed by the Reds and As in the '70s, largely because the two WS wins came eight years apart. There wasn't any other NFL team that could overshadow the Steelers in the '70s.

onefortheotherhand
07-09-2009, 12:46 AM
there should be no hatin on anything pittsburgh