PDA

View Full Version : ASK THE STEELERS FRANK SUMMERS PART 2

Men of Steel
07-06-2009, 01:01 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/105670/

ASK THE STEELERS – FRANK SUMMERS – PART 2

From Paul Jefferson in New York: What was draft day like for you, waiting for the phone to ring?
Frank Summers: It was okay. I had a feeling where I had a chance at going. My gut feeling told me where it was going to be and when it was going to be. It was pretty calm for me.

From Rita Lloyd in Pennsylvania: What was your first reaction when you learned you were going to be the newest Pittsburgh Steeler?
Frank Summers: I was just excited. I felt very fortunate, blessed and honored. I was trying to let it all sink in.

From Mark James in Ohio: What was it like to see the six Super Bowl trophies for the first time?
Frank Summers: I thought, wow, I’ve got to get one. I’ve got to be a part of one.

From Larry Bower in Florida: Is there more pressure coming to a Super Bowl champion or less because you don’t have to be a savior?
Frank Summers: It’s the same. For one I am trying to make the team as a rookie and fifth round pick, and trying to help this team build on the legacy and dynasty of the 2000s. I am really just trying to fit in and be a role player and try to help any and everywhere possible.

From Shane Gorham in Illinois: Do you feel any added pressure to perform better given the great history of Steelers power backs?
Frank Summers: Yes and no. I feel the pressure to come in and perform and live up to everyone’s expectations, including my own. I want to make sure everyone knows no one has higher expectations for me, than me. I put that pressure on myself. I just want to be that guy that the coaches drafted and they thought they were getting, so they can look back and say we got the guy we wanted and needed.

From Matthew Vargo in Nevada: Do you see yourself able to play in the cold weather of Pittsburgh?
Frank Summers: There is going to be an adjustment. I am coming from 110 degree heat. Does it get negative temperatures here? Oh boy. It’s going to be an adjustment. But I don’t care what I am playing in. When I take the field at Heinz Field my momentum, energy and excitement will heat me up to where it’s a perfect sunny day. I am looking forward to playing in any weather, any degree heat as long as I am in Pittsburgh Steelers colors, black and gold.

From Josh Velush in Connecticut: What are you looking forward to most as the season is about to start?
Frank Summers: For right now to have all of my plays down and know all of my assignments. Once I learn the playbook it will become football all over again and you let your athleticism and instincts take over. The biggest thing going into the season is know my plays, my responsibilities so I can just play free.

( seems to me this guy is PROUD to sport the BLACK N GOLD...
lets just see if his play demonstrates it as well ) :tt02:

mmalone
07-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Trying to help this team build on the legacy and dynasty of the 2000s. I am really just trying to fit in and be a role player and try to help any and everywhere possible.

Once I learn the playbook it will become football all over again and you let your athleticism and instincts take over. The biggest thing going into the season is know my plays, my responsibilities so I can just play free.

He has his role set out in front of him, he needs to learn his plays to complete his role and just play free without hesitation.

Sounds like they told him what he is going to do and what they want from him.

Smashmouth is coming back....

Preacher
07-06-2009, 05:15 PM
He has his role set out in front of him, he needs to learn his plays to complete his role and just play free without hesitation.

Sounds like they told him what he is going to do and what they want from him.

Smashmouth is coming back....

Sigh.

It never left. Or did you forget Hines' blocks last year, the defensives hits, etc.

Or do you mean running the 3 yard and a cloud of mediocrity offense? No, that isn't coming back. I predict we will be throwing the ball about 51-53 percent of the time.

Galax Steeler
07-07-2009, 03:38 AM
It will be fun to watch him in some negative tempatures in the Burgh. I just hope he can make the team.

mmalone
07-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Sigh.

It never left. Or did you forget Hines' blocks last year, the defensives hits, etc.

Or do you mean running the 3 yard and a cloud of mediocrity offense? No, that isn't coming back. I predict we will be throwing the ball about 51-53 percent of the time.

yes. 3rd downs and short or any short yardage..

we can pass 80 times a game, but when its red zone 1st and goal. we need the smashmouth to keep everyone honest on defense. We cant keep kicking field goals inside the 20... hopefully he fills his role and makes a great FB. Even in the cold...
Should help keep Ben standing up straight in the red zone too..

and whats this cold crap... isnt shipley the only guy from the cold north of our 9 picks?? im sure we have lots of southern players on this team....

fansince'76
07-07-2009, 10:49 AM
yes. 3rd downs and short or any short yardage....

I think Urbik will be more instrumental in getting our short yardage inside running back on track, at least at first, but it will be fun to see Summers in action as well. I got really tired of watching us having to settle for a FG after having 1st and goal inside the 5.

Indo
07-07-2009, 10:53 AM
I like the fact that he wants to be who we (the front office) think he is!

Preacher
07-07-2009, 01:31 PM
I think Urbik will be more instrumental in getting our short yardage inside running back on track, at least at first, but it will be fun to see Summers in action as well. I got really tired of watching us having to settle for a FG after having 1st and goal inside the 5.

Yep.

And personally, I could care less if we get it through the running game or through the passing game. As long as we get it.

mmalone
07-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Post-Draft Outlook: COULD SURPRISE: RB Frank Summers is a 5-9 1/2, 242-pounder who runs low to the ground and has a nose for the goal line. That's something the Steelers have lacked for awhile and it's caused them problems inside the 5. That's why if Summers comes as advertised, the Tank can become the new Bus. A closer look at the Steelers' picks: Round 5/169 -- Frank Summers, 5-9, 242, Nevada-Las Vegas...Frank "The Tank" will get a chance to become the first true short-yardage back the Steelers have had since Jerome Bettis retired. Summers can catch and block so he can be used as a fullback if needed. - by The Sports Xchange

triphahn
07-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Go back and read the interview with Hood and you will pick up on a lot of similiarities and start to see a pattern with the people drafted by the steelers. All very humble and very work and team oriented.

onefortheotherhand
07-10-2009, 12:22 AM
and that's exactly why we don't have any big stories about our players shooting themselves in the crotch or hitting retirees while drunk driving

Steely McSmash
07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
and whats this cold crap... isnt shipley the only guy from the cold north of our 9 picks?? ...

Urbik is from Wisconsin