PDA

View Full Version : Talbot Out 4-5 Months After Shoulder Surgery

Fire Haley
07-07-2009, 11:01 AM
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Penguins forward Maxime Talbot underwent surgery to repair the torn labrum in his left shoulder Tuesday, and his recovery is expected to take four to five months.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283975

-----------------------------------

???? I thought only the Red Wings played hurt?

Not to worry - he'll be back in plenty of time for the playoffs.

Pittsburghfan
07-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Who is going to play RW on Malkin's line til he is back?

Fire Haley
07-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Caputi, Tangradi ?

Malkin can play with AHL linemates for a month.

Don't mess up the other lines though.

Pittsburghfan
07-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Oh yeah, my guess would be Caputi.

So something like
Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin
Fedotenko-Malkin-Caputi
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy

Then I am lost once we get to the 4th line.

Steel Head
07-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Who is going to play RW on Malkin's line til he is back?

probably Dupuis :banging:

Steel Head
07-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Oh yeah, my guess would be Caputi.

So something like
Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin
Fedotenko-Malkin-Caputi
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy

Then I am lost once we get to the 4th line.

4th line is easy. Rupp and Adams will be fixtures and then they have Dupuis and of course Godard. Remember in the regular season, Godard is very important and will play many games

Caputi will get some playing time but will spend more time in Wilkes Barre. I dont know if Tangradi will get a look or not this year but what I've read about him is very encouraging. He could become a true power forward type like the old guys (Kevin Stevens, Rick Tocchet, John Leclaire, etc)

Steel Head
07-07-2009, 12:31 PM
anyone know how much room they have under the salary cap?

Kotalik (Buffalo) is still a free agent and he would easily score 25-30 goals playing on Malkin's wing

Pittsburghfan
07-07-2009, 12:36 PM
probably Dupuis :banging:

NO! Not Dupuis :banging:

According to CapGeek.com Add Lovejoy for .7 and Curry for .5

SALARY CAP $56,800,000
PAYROLL $54,831,666
Then, we probably are going to need some room for WBS call ups in case of injury.
http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculator.php

Fire Haley
07-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Relax

Follow the Stanley Cup as it makes it's summer journey around with the players.

http://www.hhof.com/html/exSCJ_main.shtml

X-Terminator
07-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Guess nobody reads the Pens Tidbits thread anymore: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=623398&postcount=8703

Fire Haley
07-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Nope. Mods need me to enforces the rules.

I will make transgressors burn and sting.

X-Terminator
07-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Anyway, Caputi will get every opportunity to win the job in TC - he is being groomed to eventually be a top-6 forward. Tangradi is going to need at least one season in WBS before making the jump, but there isn't much doubt that this kid's a potential stud power forward and will be patrolling Sid's wing as early as next year. There's still the possibility of the Pens signing a veteran forward on the cheap. We'll see what they end up doing - they also have to do something about the #6 D-man opening, and that will affect their decision.

Steel Head
07-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Tangradi is going to need at least one season in WBS before making the jump, but there isn't much doubt that this kid's a potential stud power forward and will be patrolling Sid's wing as early as next year.

Why does Sid always have to get the best wingers?

They need to hook up Malkin

X-Terminator
07-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Why does Sid always have to get the best wingers?

They need to hook up Malkin

Colby Armstrong
Mark Recchi
Andy Hilbert
Ziggy Palffy (retired halfway through his first season)
John LeClair
Max Talbot
Pascal Dupuis
Marian Hossa
Miroslav Satan
Ruslan Fedotenko (briefly)

That's why. Other than Hossa, Sid had never had anything close to a quality winger until they brought in Kunitz and Guerin. Tangradi is projected to be a top-line winger. So why not put him on the top line? It's not like he won't see any time with Geno anyway since Bylsma likes to juggle his lines a lot (assuming he's still head coach in 2 years). In his 3 years here, Geno has had better wingers on his line than Sid, for the most part. Besides, if Caputi develops into the scorer they think he will, then there's Geno's full-time scoring winger.

Steel Head
07-08-2009, 08:58 AM
just sayin every time we get a good winger, he automatically goes to Crosby (Hossa, Guerin, Kunitz)

Malkin is just as good of a "set-up" guy as Crosby if not better. I would like to see Malkin get a quality winger to build a chemistry with. Malkin teamed up with Tangradi would be sick

pittsburghp8baller
07-08-2009, 09:22 AM
just sayin every time we get a good winger, he automatically goes to Crosby (Hossa, Guerin, Kunitz)

Malkin is just as good of a "set-up" guy as Crosby if not better. I would like to see Malkin get a quality winger to build a chemistry with. Malkin teamed up with Tangradi would be sick

Malkin with anyone is a sick combo

By time we got Kunitz and Guerin, Malkin already was set on wingers with Fedotenko and Sykora/Talbot. No need to mix up the already in place chemistry between Geno's line.

Im sure all of us would love to see us get quality wingers for both Sid and Geno, but the fact is with so much money tied up in so few people thats gonna be hard to do.

If we won the cup with the roster and with 'fringe' top sixers i dont see the need to go out there sign anyone else and put a choke hold on our salary cap where we have no room to do anything but dump during the season. remember we have until next march to add another winger for Geno, and if we tie up all our cap now it will be so much harder to do during the season if something comes up that we need to make a move

Steel Head
07-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Malkin with anyone is a sick combo

By time we got Kunitz and Guerin, Malkin already was set on wingers with Fedotenko and Sykora/Talbot. No need to mix up the already in place chemistry between Geno's line.

They didn't put Talbot on Malkin's line untill later in the playoffs

Malkin basically carried Sykora on his back. Sykora is slow and doesn't play defense, all he could do is bury some shots

pittsburghp8baller
07-08-2009, 12:24 PM
They didn't put Talbot on Malkin's line untill later in the playoffs

Malkin basically carried Sykora on his back. Sykora is slow and doesn't play defense, all he could do is bury some shots

Thanks for the news flash, guess without you i wouldnt know anything, huh?

Guess i actually got to write everything out, guess im to dumb for everyone to understand but when i wrote Sykora/Talbot i meant Sykora then eventually Talbot.

Sykora has never been a guy who could carry his own line, he is a goal scorer and i dont think anyone expected a speed shutdown winger when we signed him.

Steel Head
07-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the news flash, guess without you i wouldnt know anything, huh?

Guess i actually got to write everything out, guess im to dumb for everyone to understand but when i wrote Sykora/Talbot i meant Sykora then eventually Talbot.

Your post made it sound like Malkin had alraedy established chemistry with Talbot on his wing

I just pointed out that was incorrect

pittsburghp8baller
07-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Your post made it sound like Malkin had alraedy established chemistry with Talbot on his wing

I just pointed out that was incorrect

they had played with each other for small stints, PKs, double shifts, stuff like that during the season so the ground work was there. Its not like they just threw them together in the playoffs, they were already pretty familiar with each other and which is why they responded so well together.

I feel as long as you can put the puck in the net on a consistant basis, you are a great match for Sid and Geno. Those two create so many chances, if you only capatilize on 40% of your scoring chances (i know its hard to put a % on scoring chances) your still in line for a career season playing with one of those two

Fire Haley
07-08-2009, 02:42 PM
We survived without Gonchar for the whole year - this too will pass.

Talbot's fill-in will be internal

Shero does not foresee adding a veteran forward to step in while Max Talbot recovers from surgery he had yesterday to repair a dislocated left shoulder.

"I'm happy where our forward group is right now, being able to bring back almost everybody," Shero said.

The preliminary prognosis is that Talbot will be out until sometime between early November and early December, meaning he could miss the first one to two months of the 2009-10 season.

The Penguins seem likely to pursue the option of placing him on long-term injured reserve, meaning he would miss at least 24 days and 10 games. That would enable them to go over the NHL salary cap by as much as Talbot's cap hit -- $1.05 million -- until he returns.

Shero appears more interested in having coach Dan Bylsma reconfigure his lines with the forwards he has -- everyone from the Cup team except wingers Petr Sykora and Miroslav Satan are under contract, and physical winger Michael Rupp has been added -- plus perhaps a young player on a two-way contract who has a strong training camp.

Because he does not feel the need to bring in a forward, Shero can concentrate on using some of the nearly $3 million the Penguins have remaining under the salary cap to land a defenseman. One free agent the team has shown interest in is Jay McKee, formerly of St. Louis, which will have to pick up a portion of his salary after buying him out.

"We've looked at a number of veteran defensemen," Shero said. "Or maybe it's a trade."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09189/982397-61.stm

Steel Head
07-08-2009, 02:57 PM
McKee is okay but kind of injury prone. A cheap 1-year contract for him wouldn't be a bad move

I actually haven't seen him play in a while. Anyone watch the Blues playoff games?

HometownGal
07-10-2009, 05:18 PM
We survived without Gonchar for the whole year - this too will pass.

While it's great to have such a positive 'tude, Killer, if you will remember, the Pens were headed downhill fast until Gonchar returned to the lineup (and the coaching change was made). However, since Serg is the Pens best D-man and the QB of the PP, his absence was felt a little deeper than Talbor's will most likely be, as there are a couple of reliable forwards in Wilkes Barre.

I hope Max has a successful and fast recovery. :hope: I'm going to miss his energy on the ice and his antics on the bench.

Fire Haley
07-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Only 167 Shopping Days left till Christmas - where's my Stanley Cup hat?