PDA

View Full Version : HDMI ridiculousness, revisited.

Hammer67
07-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I am laughing as I post this link.

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032257

Check out some of the prices they want!!! I can't believe people would PAY that much!!!!

:doh: :rofl:

revefsreleets
07-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Woo-hoo! $500 for a cable!

MACH1
07-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Man, I don't see how Monoprice stays in business with those prices. :rolleyes:

steelreserve
07-07-2009, 12:19 PM
... and the funny part is, in 99% of cases, buying the expensive Monster cable will give you exactly the same picture quality as the cheap Chinese piece of crap that's available for a tenth of the price. It's the myth of brand-name quality taken to the extreme, and I hope everyone at Monster dies in a fire.

SteelersinCA
07-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Below a certain length an HDMI is HDMI is HDMI. I think after about 7-10 ft you need a better quality cable. However, this begs the question, what exactly does one need a 100ft cable for?

steelreserve
07-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Below a certain length an HDMI is HDMI is HDMI. I think after about 7-10 ft you need a better quality cable. However, this begs the question, what exactly does one need a 100ft cable for?

I'd heard the limit was more like 35-50 feet before you'll notice a difference ... but either way, I wholeheartedly agree with your main point: If there's any reason for a cable that long, (short of putting a 50" plasma screen TV in your treehouse), you've probably got your house set up wrong.

Preacher
07-07-2009, 05:13 PM
I'd heard the limit was more like 35-50 feet before you'll notice a difference ... but either way, I wholeheartedly agree with your main point: If there's any reason for a cable that long, (short of putting a 50" plasma screen TV in your treehouse), you've probably got your house set up wrong.

Hey now. . . . THAT is an idea... :chuckle:

What a crack up.

I think cables that long may be used in restaurants, sports bars, etc. And yeah, some people are dumb enough to spend that type of money. How foolish.

Funny thing is, as been sad before ad nausem, you don't need a better "quality" cable, just a bigger gauge of cable when you get to a farther setup.

43Hitman
07-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Man, I don't see how Monoprice stays in business with those prices. :rolleyes:

No doubt, thank goodness I got mine while they are still in business. :wink02:

X-Terminator
07-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Hey now. . . . THAT is an idea... :chuckle:

What a crack up.

I think cables that long may be used in restaurants, sports bars, etc. And yeah, some people are dumb enough to spend that type of money. How foolish.

Funny thing is, as been sad before ad nausem, you don't need a better "quality" cable, just a bigger gauge of cable when you get to a farther setup.

You don't even need a cable that long in a restaurant/sports bar if it's set up correctly. Really, I can't think of one good reason why anyone would need a cable longer than 5-7 feet. If you do, then chances are your setup sucks ass and you need to start over.

Hammer67
07-08-2009, 06:20 AM
Monster stands by their quality...their super, duper high speed gas charged, turbo engine, wind tunnel tested, babe magnet looking cable! It will cause an orgasm!!!!! Pay 100 times what you should...NOW!!!

lol

Hammer67
07-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Okay...Monster has finally made me actually write a letter of complaint.

This one takes the cake:
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-GameLink-Cat5-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B00008VF9A/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

Keep in mind that this is a CAT 5 crossover Ethernet cable...the standard now is CAT 6 (or even CAT 5e). So, the cable is an older technology. And, it's JUST A NORMAL ETHERNET CABLE!

It's like Monster is just shamelessly saying "Yes, we know you are stupid, and we aren't afraid to rape you."

:toofunny:

X-Terminator
07-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Okay...Monster has finally made me actually write a letter of complaint.

This one takes the cake:
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-GameLink-Cat5-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B00008VF9A/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

Keep in mind that this is a CAT 5 crossover Ethernet cable...the standard now is CAT 6 (or even CAT 5e). So, the cable is an older technology. And, it's JUST A NORMAL ETHERNET CABLE!

It's like Monster is just shamelessly saying "Yes, we know you are stupid, and we aren't afraid to rape you."

:toofunny:

Oooooh, I guess because it's a sooper-speshal "Xbox GameLink" cable makes it worth $54? :noidea: :rofl:

What's even funnier is that right there on the same page, you can get 100ft of Cat5e cable for less than 10 bucks.

I can get all of the Cat5e and Cat6 cable I want, at lengths up to 50ft...and I don't have to pay one red cent.

SteelersinCA
07-08-2009, 09:58 AM
And yet, 15% of people buy that monster cable...