PDA

View Full Version : Sportsbeat to be canceled

Pittsburghfan
07-07-2009, 01:52 PM
http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/archive/2009/07/07/savran-on-sportsbeat-to-be-cancelled.aspx

I was a fan of Stan too. Its a shame to his show get canceled.

X-Terminator
07-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Complete and utter bullshit, and not something I wouldn't expect from Liberty Media. These are the same guys who fired Mike Lange and relegated him to radio, after all.

Just like ESPN, no more FSN unless there's a game on.

And I agree with a couple of the commenters over there that it's time for the Penguins, Steelers and Pirates to form their own network, similar to the Yankees' YES Network, or for someone to start up a network like NESN. Or maybe get Comcast SportsNet to take over? They have networks in Philly (of course), Washington, Chicago and San Jose, and all of them do well. Screw FSN and their dumbass bean counters.

KeiselPower99
07-08-2009, 11:47 AM
WOW! That is complete bs.

7/39/43
07-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Any truth to the rumor of it being cancelled! I hope not that's m great source of Burgh sports out here in York

7/39/43
07-09-2009, 09:26 PM
I guess so well so much for Tunch and the crew

HometownGal
07-09-2009, 10:40 PM
What a TOTAL CROCK. :mad: I loved watching Sportsbeat and so enjoyed Stan and his informative dialogue and knowledge of the game.

I'm gonna miss you Stan. :drink:

KeiselPower99
07-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Anyone know when the last show will be?

Chris Lipiec
07-13-2009, 01:30 PM
:pissed:
I can,t believe Liberty Sports cancelled Sportsbeat.

They must be out of their minds

stillhead
07-13-2009, 02:01 PM
the group that owns fsn pgh is insane. i was jacked when they took on the line with tunch and wolf off. that show was hilarious. :mad::mad:

X-Terminator
07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Anyone know when the last show will be?

His last show will be tonight - a 2-hour "clip show" of the best of Sportsbeat from 6:30-8:30. He was, however, re-signed to a new contract by FSN and will still host the Pens and Pirates pre-game shows, and be the emcee of the Mike Tomlin press conference and Mike Tomlin Show. So maybe Liberty Media isn't completely friggin' clueless:

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/archive/2009/07/10/savran-re-signs-with-fsn-pittsburgh.aspx

NJarhead
07-13-2009, 06:21 PM
That really sucks. Stan and Sportsbeat was my link to Steelers news out here in Jersey. Hopefully he can pitch a new idea to someone and get back on the air.
In the mean-time, "Cheers Stan." :drink: and Thank you!

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Let this be clear: Stan is NOT LEAVING FSN, they're just cancelling the show. Word is he will be doing the Penguins Pre Game next year(Note it is a rumor.)

Now as for a rant.

Liberty Media doesn't give a crap about ratings except when it comes to the Pirates, Penguins, and Steelers. If they're losing money, why not sell to a healthier organization? Sounds like they're run by a group of idiots like there neighboors at 115 Federal St.(Only thing is they don't need to field a good Baseball team) Mike Lange belongs on TV and Steigerwald is a good radio guy. Thankfully WXDX understood the significance of Mike Lange to the city of Pittsburgh and signed him to do the Penguins games.

Liberty on the other hand seems to always want to disrespect the best people on FSN. Now the likes of Rob King are good, but what do like the likes of Stan and Mike have other those guys? They're icons and bring in good ratings.

I don't buy the whole "business decision" reasoning. Yes Liberty needs money for day to day operations. The only things they air on FSN though are poker, outdoor life time programming, etc. They essentially are trying to turn that network into a joke. Eventually I feel the more dumb this group gets, the more views they lose.

Pittsburghfan
07-13-2009, 08:33 PM
I just got done watching the last show, wow it was hard to watch Stan. He seemed very sad. Even though he isn't done with FSN but still his show was awesome and it is tough to see the show go

Thank you Stan!

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I like Stan got choked up at the end. I grew up watching him every day I could to get my Pittsburgh sports news from a Pittsburgh prospective not someone who thinks they know Pittsburgh. It's not going to feel the same watching FSN around 6:30 and not seeing Sportsbeat.

JackHammer
07-13-2009, 09:32 PM
It's not going to feel the same watching FSN around 6:30 and not seeing Sportsbeat.

Why would you watch FSN at 6:30 anymore, except for when the Pens or Succos play at 7? I've always seen FSN as a shitty network that's only good when the local programming is on. So 6:30 is going to end up being filled up with something stupid like US vs Europe in darts and/or bowling. It's a shame. Sportsbeat was a great show for a local take on the local sports. It was the only weekday show that gave us that local take. So now we have to rely on the idiots on WPXI, KDKA, and WTAE for our daily local perspective. Bob Pompeani anybody? John Fedko??? We're really screwed now :mad: At least there's sports radio.....

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Complete and utter bullshit, and not something I wouldn't expect from Liberty Media. These are the same guys who fired Mike Lange and relegated him to radio, after all.

Just like ESPN, no more FSN unless there's a game on.

And I agree with a couple of the commenters over there that it's time for the Penguins, Steelers and Pirates to form their own network, similar to the Yankees' YES Network, or for someone to start up a network like NESN. Or maybe get Comcast SportsNet to take over? They have networks in Philly (of course), Washington, Chicago and San Jose, and all of them do well. Screw FSN and their dumbass bean counters.

You might also want to add that MASN has the Orioles and Nationals down in the Baltimore/Washington Area to.

Also good point you make about Comcast. If I'm not mistaken, that is the big cable provider in Pittsburgh. So I don't see why a network like that wouldn't work. I mean hey, the Steelers have their own channel (Steelers 24/7 for those who weren't already aware), so why not have all 3 on one channel? If people will watch FSN Pittsburgh for Penguins games and Pirates Games(Even if it is very few), I don't see why they couldn't make the channel work.

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Why would you watch FSN at 6:30 anymore, except for when the Pens or Succos play at 7? I've always seen FSN as a shitty network that's only good when the local programming is on. So 6:30 is going to end up being filled up with something stupid like US vs Europe in darts and/or bowling. It's a shame. Sportsbeat was a great show for a local take on the local sports. It was the only weekday show that gave us that local take. So now we have to rely on the idiots on WPXI, KDKA, and WTAE for our daily local perspective. Bob Pompeani anybody? John Fedko??? We're really screwed now :mad: At least there's sports radio.....

I don't even plan on watching at 6:30 anymore anyway unless the Pens or the Bucs are playing. Why? That's the only bit of programming that is on FSN that I actually enjoying watching. I'd rather watch those shows that give a local take on Pittsburgh Sports because I know I'm not going to hear a bunch of talking heads that ramble about whatever the heck they want and sound like the most uneducated person on earth.

KDKA doesn't hire idiots. The only non-idiot that I have listened to that has done anything on WTAE is Guy Junker.

steelmann58
07-13-2009, 10:45 PM
i grrew up with Stan and Guy on sports beat and could not wait to get all the Steeler news being from outside the burgh. But hopefully Liberty will go under and all the fans will now cancel their FSN Pittsburgh.

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2009, 11:33 PM
i grrew up with Stan and Guy on sports beat and could not wait to get all the Steeler news being from outside the burgh. But hopefully Liberty will go under and all the fans will now cancel their FSN Pittsburgh.

What I found weird is the fact that the show started 3 Months before I was born.

This show tonight not only marked the death of something that was important to Stan, it also marked the death of something that has been a part of my childhood.

Thankfully Stan will still get to deliver his 2 cents with Guy Junker on ESPN Radio 1250.

JackHammer
07-14-2009, 06:40 PM
KDKA doesn't hire idiots.

Lol wut? Care to explain Bob Pompeani?? They hired him as their lead sports reporter, and he's one of the biggest idiots around. He can't even MC a Steelers victory parade properly.

KeiselPower99
07-14-2009, 07:00 PM
The show was sad and like most of you I grew up on Stan and Guy in the late 90's and was my source for Steelers info before the internet. The show will be missed and Stan is a legend.

stlrz fan
07-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I just returned from vacation and the only episode of Savran on Sportsbeat that I had Tivod was the "Farewell" episode. Does anyone know what happened and if there will be any new Pittsburgh sports show on FSN Pittsburgh. I watched it on DirectTV here in Virginia every day and with camp approaching will be SOL!!!!

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
07-21-2009, 08:45 PM
I just returned from vacation and the only episode of Savran on Sportsbeat that I had Tivod was the "Farewell" episode. Does anyone know what happened and if there will be any new Pittsburgh sports show on FSN Pittsburgh. I watched it on DirectTV here in Virginia every day and with camp approaching will be SOL!!!!

The recession happened, the almighty buck...stupid bastards. I should be going to
latrobe with Stan and Tunch next Friday....

Stan is supposed to still do the penguins/pirates pre & post game but he never said anything bout the steelers.