PDA

View Full Version : AFC's breakout players

mesaSteeler
07-07-2009, 05:49 PM
AFC's breakout players

Lawrence Timmons, LB, Steelers

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-9-29/AFC-s-breakout-players.html
By James Walker

Former first-round pick Lawrence Timmons probably could've started for 31 other franchises last season. But at the linebacker factory also known as the Pittsburgh Steelers, Timmons has had to wait two seasons before he finally gets his chance to start in 2009 for the reigning Super Bowl champions.

With Pittsburgh's outstanding track record of churning out great linebackers, do not be surprised if Timmons is next in line. Timmons is fast, he's physical and his athleticism gives innovative defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau more blitz and coverage options than former starter Larry Foote, who was recently released and signed by the Detroit Lions.

In limited playing time last season, Timmons recorded 65 tackles, five sacks and one interception, which he returned 89 yards to help seal a victory against the New England Patriots. He has also been one of Pittsburgh's better players on special teams.

Whether Timmons is a natural fit at inside linebacker remains one of the few questions. He has the natural ability to rush the passer. But so do outside linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, who combined for 27.5 sacks last season. But it has been difficult enough to find playing time for Timmons in Pittsburgh's elite defense the past two years, and Foote's departure inside opens that opportunity.

With James Farrior, Harrison, Woodley and now Timmons, Pittsburgh has the most talented and dynamic group of linebackers in the NFL. But what's scary is Timmons, although inexperienced, could be the most athletically gifted of the foursome.

Timmons' role has yet to be determined. Expect Woodley and Harrison to once again register high sack numbers, while the veteran Farrior remains the brains in the middle of the defense. Timmons could be asked to do a little bit of everything, which includes Foote's old job of stuffing the run, pressuring the quarterback up the middle, and even dropping deep in coverage if Pittsburgh decides to run more Cover 2 defenses under head coach Mike Tomlin this season.

Can Pittsburgh's No. 1-rated defense from last season get even better in 2009? With Timmons in the starting lineup, it's certainly possible.

truesteelerfan
07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
YES....IT CAN BE BETTER! IT WILL BE BETTER!

Youngstown Steeler
07-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Don't look back, cuz here come Da Steelers!

Psyychoward86
07-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Rawr, that is one sexy linebacker corp right there :naughty:

MN_Steeler
07-07-2009, 09:30 PM
It will be interesting to see how he handles run support duties.

Tenn. in week 1 looks like the biggest rushing challenge on the schedule this year, other than the Vikes, but Peterson isn't as much of an up-the-middle runner.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I really hope that Timmons has worked on his play vs. the run. He honestly is quick and explosive, but not exceptionally strong between the tackles.........where he probably will start this year.

BlockMonsta
07-08-2009, 02:59 AM
When LT was drafted was he projected as in ILB?

Preacher
07-08-2009, 03:07 AM
I expect Timmons to have his problems, and also to have some unbelievable plays.

I think we are about to embark on a 3-5 year period of the best linebacker play this team has EVER --thats right, EVER seen.

Even during the years of the Steel curtain, I don't know if you had quite THIS MUCH talent, athleticism, and sheer ability to get to the QB. Furthermore, I think Harrison is actually even meaner than Lambert, who is my favorite All-time Steeler.

Mark that with two safeties that may be better than the safeties of the 70's, a line that is a bit under the 70's, and there is the serious possiblity that a new steal curtain is being born right before our eyes.

The wild card will be the cornerback play.

Galax Steeler
07-08-2009, 03:48 AM
I think he will do good stuffing the runs. He will have a few problems along he way but I think his attitude will help him alot on the run plays.

mulldog24
07-08-2009, 06:00 AM
They say Timmons has added some bulk so I think he will be fine against the run while still giving solid pass coverage.

STEELtownHAVOX
07-08-2009, 06:50 AM
He will be a stud.

Steel Head
07-08-2009, 09:02 AM
They say Timmons has added some bulk so I think he will be fine against the run while still giving solid pass coverage.

Really? OMG, he's gonna be killin people out there :tt03:

MN_Steeler
07-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I heard one writer make mention of the steelers using more 4-3 looks this year. Don't know if that was just speculation on his part, or fact...

If it happens, do you think it would be a true 4-3 (as opposed to Timmond just lined up in the backfield), and if so, who is the ILB Timmons or Farrior?

Steel Head
07-08-2009, 09:33 AM
I heard one writer make mention of the steelers using more 4-3 looks this year. Don't know if that was just speculation on his part, or fact...

If it happens, do you think it would be a true 4-3 (as opposed to Timmond just lined up in the backfield), and if so, who is the ILB Timmons or Farrior?

They were using it in mini-camp with mostly backups and rookies

If it ain't broke, dont fix it. We just had one of the best defenses ever last year, I dont think we will see much if at all any 4-3 formations

Men of Steel
07-08-2009, 09:44 AM
maaan... LeBeau is gonna have a hell of a time with all his new toys.....
and u can bet he is gonna make goooood use of all of them now.

now he has one more chess piece to slaughter offenses with :chuckle:.... oooh maan cant wait !!!!! :tt03:

revefsreleets
07-08-2009, 09:50 AM
But how will we pay for him?

Trade him NOW:sofunny::applaudit:

MN_Steeler
07-08-2009, 10:33 AM
If it ain't broke, dont fix it.

Amen

Psyychoward86
07-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Yes it's true. It was on Steelers.com a month or so ago. Dick Lebeau added a new package for our defense. New toys. New packages. Oh man, can you dig it?