PDA

View Full Version : From the pages of Steelers Digest, Part 1

Galax Steeler
07-08-2009, 04:59 AM
Steelers Digest has been the official publication of the Pittsburgh Steelers since its inception in 1988. For 21 seasons, Steelers Digest has offered the most comprehensive coverage of the Pittsburgh Steelers with its unmatched complement of news, insight and opinion. The following appeared in the Sept. 6, 2008 edition of Steelers Digest and looked at the team as it was about to embark on its 16-game regular season schedule.

“This team is in Ben’s hands”

By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

In 2004, when the Steelers all along had been plotting based on a starting quarterback who was 33 years old and a veteran of over 1,000 NFL pass attempts, and he was a rookie and thrown in during the second game of the season, that wasn’t the time.

In 2005, even though he had claimed the job as his own by breaking all of Dan Marino’s rookie records and going 13-0 as a starter in the regular season, there still were too many established veterans on the team. Jerome Bettis, Joey Porter, Jeff Hartings, Alan Faneca, Kimo von Oelhoffen – it was their team. That wasn’t the time.

In 2006, maybe, but then the appendectomy came and physically removed him from the locker room at a critical time in the team’s development, and so that wasn’t the time.

In 2007, having a new head coach and a different makeup to the offensive staff meant everybody started with a clean slate, but along with that came a lot of mutual feeling out. That wasn’t the best time, either.

Now’s the time.

The ability. The experience. The production. The ring on his finger. The contract. Mix all of this together, and it paints a picture of a proven, veteran, championship quarterback who has the implicit level of trust from his team that a new nine-figure contract represents.

Ben Roethlisberger so far has passed every test his profession has presented to him, and along the way he has grown from the kid who was along for the ride into the man who holds their fate in his hands. He holds their fate – his teammates and his coaches – just as surely as he will author this next bit of franchise history, because the football must pass through his hands on every play, and in the NFL that man is The Man.

Roethlisberger is 26 years old now, and the only one of his 63 NFL games in which he wasn’t the starting quarterback was in the second week of 2004 when Tommy Maddox was injured in the third quarter. He has attempted over 1,400 passes, which means he has accumulated an array of statistics that may or may not impress whoever. But biographical-type information doesn’t speak of his place on his team or his stature among his peers. That comes from what Ben Roethlisberger has done in those 63 NFL games.

First of all, Roethlisberger’s team has won 44 of his 62 starts, and no player has a greater influence on winning than the starting quarterback. There were wins against talented opponents at critical times of a season, and he contributed to these and others by being flawless in some, by being spectacular in others, by being the difference in many. Since two wins ended in trophy presentations – the big one and the one you need to win to have a shot at the big one – these credentials carry weight. And since Roethlisberger publicly has acknowledged his culpability in the losses, he has a credibility with his teammates.

Roethlisberger now is what he really always wanted to be, what every quarterback of his ability and confidence believe they deserve to be. He is the most important guy for his team in every game it plays, because, admit it, on game days the coach is only along for the ride. That’s the way it is with the NFL’s elite quarterbacks; remember, before uniting with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, Tony Dungy and Bill Belichick were nothing but coaches who had been fired from their previous jobs.

It’s a players league, and if Roethlisberger is a player currently seen on a level below Manning (longevity and statistics) and Brady (championships), he is their equal in terms of importance to his team.

Ironically, what is used against Roethlisberger in arguments ranking the NFL’s best quarterbacks is actually what makes him special. The accompanying chart ranks quarterbacks based on the league’s own complicated-yet-incomplete system called passer rating, and if the inclusion of Chad Pennington speaks to the screaming inadequacies of this formula, there are some big-time names on that list.

Roethlisberger doesn’t quite qualify because his resume is 64 attempts light, but in one of the categories used to calculate passer rating – arguably merely critical – he is better than all of them. Ben Roethlisberger needs fewer attempts to produce touchdowns than any of those other guys.

Sometimes his edge in touchdown percentage is slight (5.9-5.7 over Manning), while other times it’s notable (5.9-4.5 over Carson Palmer), and sure, you still get a stuffed animal when you go with three shots at the milk bottles for a quarter, but for the big panda you better be good enough to pay the dime and do it on one try.

The Steelers are one of the dozen or so teams that will enter this 2008 NFL season with a chance at the big panda, and whether they are serious contenders or merely consigned to the periphery will be part health, part luck and part pluck, and the difference in a bunch of their games will come down to a handful of snaps.

In Pittsburgh, as it is in New England and Indianapolis, the starting quarterback has to be great for the season to end with a run at a championship, and so it will be for the Steelers in 2008.

This is what Ben Roethlisberger always has wanted, to be the hub of the wheel, and he has earned it. This is his time.

TOP RATED PASSERS, MINIMUM 1,500 ATTEMPTS
Name Att. Comp. Yards TDs INTs Rtg.
Steve Young 4,149 2,667 33.124 232 107 96.8
Peyton Manning 5,405 3,468 41,626 306 153 94.7
Kurt Warner 2,959 1,926 24,008 152 100 93.2
Tom Brady 3,642 2,294 26,370 197 86 92.9
Ben Roethlisberger 1,436 908 11,673 84 54 92.5
Joe Montana 5,391 3,409 40,551 273 139 92.3
Carson Palmer 2,306 1,305 14,899 104 63 90.1
Daunte Culpepper 2,927 1,867 22,422 142 94 89.9
Chad Pennington 1,919 1,259 13,738 82 55 88.9
Marc Bulger 2,484 1,578 18,625 106 74 88.1
Drew Brees 3,015 1,921 21,189 134 82 87.9

http://news.steelers.com/article/105965/

stlrtruck
07-08-2009, 08:32 AM
In Pittsburgh, as it is in New England and Indianapolis, the starting quarterback has to be great for the season to end with a run at a championship, and so it will be for the Steelers in 2008.

First, thanks for posting but I think Bob is a little off ont he year!

But it was a good read!

Sharkissle29
07-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Roethlisberger really went unnoticed during that final superbowl drive (as most of the attention was diverted to santonio after the game). I dont think people realize just how good he really is. But at the same time, i dont really think he even cares, as he likes to fly under the radar. I think this will be a 'break out' season for him, as people will start to look at him like the superstar that he really is in this league

MN_Steeler
07-08-2009, 11:29 AM
it is cool to look back at the outlooks from the beginning of last year and compare them to this year.

"the team is finally Ben's" result, Lombardi. I can't wait to see what the next 7 to 10 years hold.

My favorite though was

"Ben Roethlisberger needs fewer attempts to produce touchdowns than any of those other guys."

Men of Steel
07-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Steelers Digest has been the official publication of the Pittsburgh Steelers since its inception in 1988. For 21 seasons, Steelers Digest has offered the most comprehensive coverage of the Pittsburgh Steelers with its unmatched complement of news, insight and opinion. The following appeared in the Sept. 6, 2008 edition of Steelers Digest and looked at the team as it was about to embark on its 16-game regular season schedule.

this is actually an older article... before the season started and the Steelers earned their SIXTH SB Title.

but if there was any doubt about big ben... and this year being his year... this being his time... well.... all those doubts can be laid to rest.

we all know what happened on that last drive vs Arizona in the SB last year.... and how BIG BENJAMIN commanded his team down the field in the final seconds, on the worlds biggest stage.

great read galax :thumbsup:

KeiselPower99
07-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Roethlisberger really went unnoticed during that final superbowl drive (as most of the attention was diverted to santonio after the game). I dont think people realize just how good he really is. But at the same time, i dont really think he even cares, as he likes to fly under the radar. I think this will be a 'break out' season for him, as people will start to look at him like the superstar that he really is in this league

After the game alot of media was saying he should have been the MVP instead of Tone. I have to agree. If it wouldnt have been any other qb it wouldve been.

Sharkissle29
07-08-2009, 11:35 AM
It is also important to note that we dont throw in the redzone when we are up 3 TD's with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter (cough cough brady and the patriots). Brady breaking that record made me sick. Manning set that record while trying to help his team win, not to embarass teams further and TRY to break the record. As i recall, i believe Manning could have broken it earlier, but the classy colts opted to run bc they felt that put them in the best position to win...

i really wish we were playing the patriots this year...actually bums me out

Men of Steel
07-08-2009, 01:37 PM
i really wish we were playing the patriots this year...actually bums me out

we will... come playoff time... and u can bet we will slaughter those cheatriots on our way to 7... and we will settle who really is the team of the decade ....

GO STEELERS !!!!!:tt03:

Galax Steeler
07-09-2009, 04:55 AM
we will... come playoff time... and u can bet we will slaughter those cheatriots on our way to 7... and we will settle who really is the team of the decade ....

GO STEELERS !!!!!:tt03:

It would be nice to polish those guys off in the playoffs.

vasteeler
07-09-2009, 11:25 AM
careful what you wish for guys i cant remember the last time we beat them in a game during the playoffs

Galax Steeler
07-10-2009, 04:25 AM
careful what you wish for guys i cant remember the last time we beat them in a game during the playoffs

I am not saying that I am wishing for it but it would be sweet to beat them in a playoff game this year.:chuckle:

vasteeler
07-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I am not saying that I am wishing for it but it would be sweet to beat them in a playoff game this year.:chuckle:

i agree it would be sweet to beat them in the playoffs but i really hope someone else beats them for us