PDA

View Full Version : 10 Toughest QB's of all time - Sirius

tucker6
07-08-2009, 05:45 AM
Some idiot on Sirius between 4-5pm yesterday gave his Top Ten toughest QB's of all time. Here are the names on his list:

Brett Favre (#1) I can buy into that one
Peyton Manning (#2) No way, no how
Troy Aikman
Roger Staubach
Johnny Unitas
George Blanda Ah, NO
Dan Marino
Steve McNair (#3) Definitely tough, but got 3rd on sympathy IMHO
John Elway (#10) I can agree with his inclusion, but should be much higher
Jim Kelly

Now I don't have a quarrel with some on this list like Favre or Elway or even Aikman, but Manning?? I am absolutely surprised Brady's name didn't show up.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!!

He then goes on to say that the following two young guns may join this list of "toughest QB's" some day. Ready??

Philip Rivers
Eli Manning

WTF is he smoking? Eli tougher than Ben?? Not in this or the next lifetime. I can't wait for the NFL silly season to end and real football talk to start.

Steelers & I
07-08-2009, 05:50 AM
If his list is based solely on toughness, then I don't see how he was able to keep Bubby Brister out of his top 10. Bubby wasn't much of a QB but he was definitely a TOUGH S.O.B.

Texasteel
07-08-2009, 05:54 AM
What, no Terry Bradshaw? I have seen them carry him off the field at half time, and he came back in the 2nd half to throw for 3 TDs and win the frickin game.

I know I'm a homer, but not having him the top 2 or 3 makes this list horse :poop: I think I'm being generous too.

wootawnee
07-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Not to rip on Favre or anyone, but he definately would have missed some games if he played in Terry's time....Those guys back then litteraly crushed qb's and got away with it......After the whistle too...... Terry would run the ball and run over and run through linebackers and safties......That dude was tough......4.5 speed....

Did you ever here the story when he got crushed one game and was still on the strecher when they got on the plane.......Ernie Holmes carried him up the steps and all the way back the isle of the plane by himself, strecher and all.......Those were tough days and men.......These guys now got it much more cushy.....

http://redsoxandnascar.com/autographs/Autographs/Holmes.jpg

tucker6
07-08-2009, 07:07 AM
If his list is based solely on toughness, then I don't see how he was able to keep Bubby Brister out of his top 10. Bubby wasn't much of a QB but he was definitely a TOUGH S.O.B.
It was based on toughness, but at times, he would mention longevity as a critieria. What length of time has to do with toughness, I don't know. Blanda was on the list as I recall based on playing 26 years and 340 games. I guess he forgot most of those years and games were played as a kicker. :noidea:

I probably would not haved picked Marino or Manning for the list simply because they didn't have to take 45 sacks a year like Ben does. He picked Marino because Dan wore so many pads on his body. Again, that's a flimsy reason to select someone as tough. One could say it shows a pain intolerance.

I was shocked that someone like Steve Young or Bradshaw were not on the list. I remember Terry being spiked in the head and still coming back in to play. Or how about Joe Montana? He doesn't come straight to mind when I think of tough, but he came back to play six weeks after back surgery. That's damn tough.

I always had respect for Roger Staubach, but I think his problem was lack of mobility. He couldn't get out of the way fast enough sometimes. When I think of tough, I think of Elway airplane spinning at the goal line in a desperate atempt to score. Roger was a statue and got pummeled.

STEELtownHAVOX
07-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Some idiot on Sirius between 4-5pm yesterday gave his Top Ten toughest QB's of all time. Here are the names on his list:

Brett Favre (#1) I can buy into that one
Peyton Manning (#2) No way, no how
Troy Aikman
Roger Staubach
Johnny Unitas
George Blanda Ah, NO
Dan Marino
Steve McNair (#3) Definitely tough, but got 3rd on sympathy IMHO
John Elway (#10) I can agree with his inclusion, but should be much higher
Jim Kelly

For the next "young guys" I would have to add Big Ben and Rivers. River's has been one tough dude the last couple of seasons. Peyton has never missed a game due to injury, but I'm still not so sure he should be on this list.

fansince'76
07-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Peyton has never missed a game due to injury, but I'm still not so sure he should be on this list.

Maybe because he rarely ever gets hit, and when he does, he pitches a bitch fit about it, just like Brady does. He's a great QB, but that doesn't make him tough.

The_WARDen
07-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Who was the only QB to headbutt a moving car's windshield and not miss a game because of it?

* he missed the 1st game due to an appendectomy

:coffee:

STEELtownHAVOX
07-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Maybe because he rarely ever gets hit, and when he does, he pitches a bitch fit about it, just like Brady does. He's a great QB, but that doesn't make him tough.

exactly what i was referring to.

revefsreleets
07-08-2009, 11:19 AM
I disagree that Favre wouldn't have made it back in the day. I remember reading an article about him (I think Holmgren was referenced, but can't say for sure), and the coach said Favre had the most amazing regenerative powers he'd ever seen in a player, and by a wide margin. He'd get hurt, and instead of suffering for a week like most players with the same malady, he'd be healed completely the next day.

Blanda definitely belongs...dude played into his 50's.

Manning i have no idea...guy rarely takes a full shot, and his OL never gets called for holding, so the playing field isn't level.

Psyychoward86
07-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Big Ben > Windshield of a Chrysler

Doesnt that count for something? :flap:

revefsreleets
07-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh, dayum, I totally missed that Ben wasn't on this list!

Fail!!!

No way half these guys are as tough as Ben. Manning would fold like a metal chair if he took 1/2 the abuse Ben does on a week-to-week basis. Yikes, my bad!

fansince'76
07-08-2009, 12:08 PM
The only real beef I have with that list is not only Peyton Manning's inclusion on it, but his inclusion on it at the #2 spot. He wouldn't have made it through a single season in Unitas' day, when QBs were regularly clobbered by defenses - roughing the passer? HA!

tucker6
07-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Blanda definitely belongs...dude played into his 50's.

This is what is stated by the HOF on Blanda:

"Blanda did not become a fulltime starter until his fifth season with the Bears and in 1954 he was shelved by an injury. In 1959, he balked at becoming a kicker-only and retired. But the emergence of the American Football League in 1960 gave Blanda another chance to play. He went on to lead the Oilers to the first two AFL titles and won AFL Player of the Year honors in 1961. In 1967, when Blanda was almost 40, the Oilers decided he was through but the Raiders saw George as a contributing backup passer and a dependable kicker so they picked him up. George handled both jobs with distinction for another nine seasons."

He retired at age 48 after 26 years, but had a lot of down time along the way and/or was not a starter. He was primarily a kicker for the last nine years. I'm respectfully not buying what is being sold to me about Blanda on the issue of toughness.

Dino 6 Rings
07-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Anytime there is a Top Ten QBs (insert stat you are counting, clutch, big game, toughest, or just flat out greatness) and Terry Bradshaw is NOT on the list, you can ignore the entire list because it is instantly Flawed by not having him on it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of other guys that can be on that list if toughness and longevity is the criteria.

Joe Kapp, Terry Bradshaw, Jim Plunkett, Bobby Layne, Dan Pastorini, etc.

I think Manning takes fewer hits than a kid in a pee wee hockey game. Troy Aikman had that massive line to hide behind.

Ben may be a bit dramatic at times, but consider he is almost in David Carr territory every year for sacks taken and he definately ranks ahead of Eli. And, that whole motorcycle, facial reconstruction incident too.:wink:

Psyychoward86
07-08-2009, 01:43 PM
And, that whole motorcycle, facial reconstruction incident too.:wink:

And it's the windshield that got owned. Not Ben.

MACH1
07-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Finally a list that golden boy isn't on.

That list means nothing without Bradshaw on it!

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-08-2009, 01:50 PM
And it's the windshield that got owned. Not Ben.

I dont know........I think the windshield felt fine and all the metal plates and screws in Ben's cranium are not signs of any victory over glass. The fact that he managed to cheat death and return to form 2 seasons later is a testament to his toughness.

tucker6
07-08-2009, 01:58 PM
The fact that he managed to cheat death and return to form 2 seasons later is a testament to his toughness.
well stated. Palmer had knee surgery, and three years later is still not where he was. Toughness indeed.

tucker6
07-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Finally a list that golden boy isn't on.

Ain't that the truth! When they got down to the final two, I thought bradshaw was in trouble because Brady and Favre were not yet included. I knew Favre was going to make it, and the only suspense was Bradshaw or Brady. Pardon my shock when Peyton's name was next at #2. Honestly, Archie has more balls than Peyton and Eli combined, and I could see him make a list like this. In fact, he should have made the list. He was a work horse for those sh!tty Aints back in the day.

revefsreleets
07-08-2009, 02:05 PM
OK, nothing new here...once again having to defend myself...

On Blanda: He played more games then all but 3 players (and the other 2 were STRICTLY kickers). He played more years than anyone. At age 40, he went on to play nine seasons with Oakland, retiring one month shy of his 49th birthday in August 1976. In his 26-year career, he threw for 26,920 yards, completing 1,911-of-4,007 attempts, with 236 touchdown passes. Blanda scored a franchise-high 863 points with the Raiders and became the first player to score more than 500 points for three teams. Most of all, he kept performing. Most importantly, he played from one era into another, when the players got bigger and stronger and faster, and played at a high level in THE most vulnerable positions (K and QB).

Also bear in mind that the average NFL career lasts 3.5 seasons. He played for 26.

ANY guy in his 40's that will set foot under center is a tough guy in my book. He belongs on the list...

steelreserve
I can't believe they left Steve Young off that list. Just watch this and tell me if you can picture Peyton Manning even ATTEMPTING any of this stuff without shitting his pants. I remember one game where Young got his helmet pulled off in the backfield and then ran the ball up the middle for 10 yards, and that was a preseason game. I think that's at about the 1:10 mark.

v4jie8tt0BI

Godfather
Steve McNair (#3)[/B] Definitely tough, but got 3rd on sympathy IMHO

I dunno...he had broken ribs, a bruised sternum, etc. and it didn't keep him off the field.

tucker6
07-08-2009, 02:17 PM
OK, nothing new here...once again having to defend myself...

On Blanda: He played more games then all but 3 players (and the other 2 were STRICTLY kickers). He played more years than anyone. At age 40, he went on to play nine seasons with Oakland, retiring one month shy of his 49th birthday in August 1976. In his 26-year career, he threw for 26,920 yards, completing 1,911-of-4,007 attempts, with 236 touchdown passes. Blanda scored a franchise-high 863 points with the Raiders and became the first player to score more than 500 points for three teams. Most of all, he kept performing. Most importantly, he played from one era into another, when the players got bigger and stronger and faster, and played at a high level in THE most vulnerable positions (K and QB).

Also bear in mind that the average NFL career lasts 3.5 seasons. He played for 26.

ANY guy in his 40's that will set foot under center is a tough guy in my book. He belongs on the list...
Listen, I respect your opinion, and Blanda may be a tough guy. However, I don't consider him a top ten QB on the tough scale. I believe he falls short, but I'm not saying I'm the last word on it. It's all good.

tony hipchest
07-08-2009, 02:19 PM

Ross, is that you? :wave:

:chuckle:

the debate was between ross tucker and jim miller (whom ross frequently calls an "idiot"), who each did a list of the ten toughest, and then had callers call in to discuss. i think ross' list did include montana for the reason described. (ross did say miller was pretty tough in his own right- dude had some wicked surgeries).

ron jaworski was debated, but i didnt even hear ben or terry mentioned, which was pitiful.

the young vs. montana was an interesting debate in itself.

tucker6
07-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I dunno...he had broken ribs, a bruised sternum, etc. and it didn't keep him off the field.
True. I may have been overly harsh with my comment. Your note did give me a smile as I thought about Romo taking a month off for a pinkie problem when McNair had a busted chest and still played. And yet Romo will have every sports writer hanging off his jock strap come October (notice I didn't say December).

STEELtownHAVOX
07-08-2009, 02:26 PM
well stated. Palmer had knee surgery, and three years later is still not where he was. Toughness indeed.

Palmer did come back the following year and i believe hasn't missed a game due to his knee injury. last year was something with his elbow; still hasn't completely healed either.

tucker6
07-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Ross, is that you? :wave:

:chuckle:

the debate was between ross tucker and jim miller (whom ross frequently calls an "idiot"), who each did a list of the ten toughest, and then had callers call in to discuss. i think ross' list did include montana for the reason described. (ross did say miller was pretty tough in his own right- dude had some wicked surgeries).

ron jaworski was debated, but i didnt even hear ben or terry mentioned, which was pitiful.

the young vs. montana was an interesting debate in itself.I like Ross already. I didn't hear Ross' picks, but Miller's list is the one here. On Young vs Montana, I'd have to pick Young. He wasn't afraid to take it to a defensive player, and played fearlessly. He also had fire in his belly, and inspired his fellow teammates. Montana was mostly finesse, although you have to respect a guy who comes back from surgery in six weeks.

I remember Jaws, and while I like and liked him, he wasn't a top ten on any list.

tucker6
07-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Palmer did come back the following year and i believe hasn't missed a game due to his knee injury. last year was something with his elbow; still hasn't completely healed either.
Agree, but I wasn't referring to not missing games. I don't think he's returned to his former form. I don't sense fear from defenses when Carson's name comes up anymore. Maybe they will again.

tony hipchest
07-08-2009, 02:39 PM
I dunno...he had broken ribs, a bruised sternum, etc. and it didn't keep him off the field.in an interview with justin hartwig on monday he revealed that his ribs were actually separated from his sternum. ouch.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Peyton Manning? Hahahahahahahaha!

When he gets growled at by a defensive player, there is a roughing the quarterback call. If he gets breathed on, RTP gets called.

How the hell is Terry Bradshaw not on that list? He got spiked by Turkey Jones. If that happened to Peyton Manning, he'd retire.

Bradshaw came out against the Jets in his last game knowing that throwing the ball could end his career due to his elbow injury...he came out anyhow and lead the Steelers to a win against the Jets that got the Steelers into the playoffs. Doing so shredded his elbow, and he never played in a game again.

And as far as Big Ben is concerned, he very well might deserve to be on the list. And if not, he should be mentioned as one of the young QB's. Not Manning...he isn't tough.

And far as Steve Young is concerned...if I wasn't raised to be a Steelers fan...I would say there would be a good chance that I would be a 49ers fan right now because of his play.