PDA

View Full Version : santonio in top ten?

onefortheotherhand
07-08-2009, 09:26 PM
would you put him in the top ten WR in the league?

TheWarDen86
07-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Dare I say, "Easily?" ....Yep. I'm sayin' it.

onefortheotherhand
07-08-2009, 09:42 PM
he definitely proved himself in the playoffs and superbowl as being one of the elite receivers in the league but i think most people overlook him :doh:

MasterOfPuppets
07-08-2009, 09:44 PM
based on what he's done so far ? hell no ...top 10 receivers catch more than 55 balls a year.... the only time he's shown consistent good play has been in the playoffs this year. if he can catch 80 + balls and 10 + tds this year...ask me again....

onefortheotherhand
07-08-2009, 09:52 PM
well 55 balls and 821 yards with a run first offence (even though we didnt have much of a runner) with hines getting a lot of balls too i think thats pretty good

but i guess i said he was too hastily because how could be he elite if hes still a num. 2..

TheWarDen86
07-08-2009, 09:55 PM
based on what he's done so far ? hell no ...top 10 receivers catch more than 55 balls a year.... the only time he's shown consistent good play has been in the playoffs this year. if he can catch 80 + balls and 10 + tds this year...ask me again....

Yes, those are the numbers, but are there really 10 other WR's in the NFL that you'd rather have?

onefortheotherhand
07-08-2009, 10:00 PM
from a purely non-biased view probably

i mean you have your smiths and fitzgeralds and owens and mosses..
im just going to say that he gets better every year and soon i think he'll have his breakout probowl type of year

MasterOfPuppets
07-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Yes, those are the numbers, but are there really 10 other WR's in the NFL that you'd rather have?
i can think of 10 other recievers that i hope he can elevate his game to emulate thiers ... the question was is he top 10....no... he hasn't put up any numbers in his carrear except maybe ypa that come close to the top 10... if he was top 10 we'd be seeing his name in the top 10 of some of the stat catogories instead of in the 30's... does he have the potential to be top 10 ? sure !!! ... but based on what he's done so far....not there yet.

Preacher
07-08-2009, 10:34 PM
i can think of 10 other recievers that i hope he can elevate his game to emulate thiers ... the question was is he top 10....no... he hasn't put up any numbers in his carrear except maybe ypa that come close to the top 10... if he was top 10 we'd be seeing his name in the top 10 of some of the stat catogories instead of in the 30's... does he have the potential to be top 10 ? sure !!! ... but based on what he's done so far....not there yet.

That's a great way of putting it.

But 10? I don't know... Definitely not 5. I'd like to know who your 10 are. i think it would be an interesting list.

(game playing, not attitude or anything else, just skills the play the game)

Moss, T.O. (though with his age, I don't know if he really should be here anymore), Fitzgerald, Steve Smith? Boldin? Some say Calvin Johnson, but is it too early for him? Who else? with the way you stated it in the bold section.

fansince'76
07-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Moss, T.O. (though with his age, I don't know if he really should be here anymore), Fitzgerald, Steve Smith? Boldin? Some say Calvin Johnson, but is it too early for him? Who else? with the way you stated it in the bold section.

I'd be happy if he could get close to Steve Smith. He's too short to really emulate the games of T.O., Moss, Fitz or Johnson.

Preacher
07-08-2009, 10:43 PM
I'd be happy if he could get close to Steve Smith. He's too short to really emulate the games of T.O., Moss, Fitz or Johnson.

true, but I think the idea is more of how one guy can take over a game if given a chance. each of these guys listed can (could) take over a game, which is why I wondered about Calvin Johnson...

ricksteelers55
07-08-2009, 10:53 PM
You know what I would even put him in the top 10 ''playmakers'' of the NFL just look at his vision on the field the guy is just ''elite''

he can take a play that is going nowhere and make it a beauty

glad we picked him

tony hipchest
07-08-2009, 10:55 PM
moss
owens
c. johnson
a. johnson
fitzgerald
boldin
s. smith
r. wayne
w. welker
b. marshall

what about hines?

r. willams maybe? roddy white had 88 catches for 1300+ yds last year.

g. jennings- 80/1292/9
d. bowe- 86/1022/7

what about colston, e. royal, and a. bryant?

it really depends on who is #1 and what system they are in.

put him on the giants or bears (or vikings with favre) and he'd probably tear the league up.

onefortheotherhand
07-08-2009, 11:02 PM
i agree wit ricksteeler hes more of a playmaker

Rotorhead
07-08-2009, 11:17 PM
I dont think he is top 10 quite yet, give him a couple more years of improvements (I think he will tear it up this year after that confidence inspiring SB performance) and solid numbers and you will be able to make that argument.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I dont think Holmes is top 10. Then again, who really cares...I think he fits the Steelers well and hope he can be a Steeler for a long time.

Louis Lipps, Yancy Thigpen, Hines Ward were rarely considered top 10 WR's and I loved every second they were Steelers.

steelreserve
07-09-2009, 12:58 AM
No, I don't think he is in the "top ten," but that really only means what you let it.

Would Holmes be one of the most dominant receivers in the league if he were traded to some other team tomorrow? Probably not. He likely wouldn't even be the #1 receiver on a lot of them. You could say the same thing about Hines Ward, too.

Now, is Holmes just about the best possible fit for our offense and for what we're doing? Hell yes he is. I don't think a lot of the typically prized characteristics in a receiver are what makes the difference in our offense anyway. We had a guy like that recently in Burress, and that didn't put us over the top. Holmes might not make any All-Star teams, but he's a hell of a good receiver, and he's the right guy at the right time for us. And who knows -- he's still got so much upside that I wouldn't be surprised to see him ranked among the best one day. Maybe even next season if things go his way. Nothing but positive impressions about the guy.

MasterOfPuppets
07-09-2009, 01:25 AM
well 55 balls and 821 yards with a run first offence (even though we didnt have much of a runner) with hines getting a lot of balls too i think thats pretty good

but i guess i said he was too hastily because how could be he elite if hes still a num. 2..
i think it's pretty safe to call atlanta a "run first" team, even more so than the steelers were last year, but that didn't stop roddy white from catching 88 balls for almost 1400 yds, from a rookie qb.

Galax Steeler
07-09-2009, 03:50 AM
I don't think he is there yet. He need a few good years under his belt. There is alot of good receivers out there yes he is good but not top ten.

Steely McSmash
07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
I agree. He's probably around 20th from last year's season as a whole. Based on his numbers it would be worse but I boost him on account of the scheme. The SB was by far his best game ever.

To be in the conversation for top 10, I think you need to stand out in some way:
catch at least 80 balls
score 8 TDs
make 60 1st downs
greater than 1200 yards

Holmes doesn't accomplish any of these and is not in the top 10 of any of these categories. Top 10 guys probably meet at least 2 of these criteria.

revefsreleets
07-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I thought last year would be his year.

Now I think it'll be this year.

Dino 6 Rings
07-10-2009, 11:52 AM
He plays BIG in Big Games. So you have to consider him now. He's more than just a numbers guy, he's a True Playmaker at this point.

Sharkissle29
07-10-2009, 11:58 AM
moss
owens
c. johnson
a. johnson
fitzgerald
boldin
s. smith
r. wayne
w. welker
b. marshall

what about hines?

r. willams maybe? roddy white had 88 catches for 1300+ yds last year.

g. jennings- 80/1292/9
d. bowe- 86/1022/7

what about colston, e. royal, and a. bryant?

it really depends on who is #1 and what system they are in.

put him on the giants or bears (or vikings with favre) and he'd probably tear the league up.

i think welker may be a top 20 reciever, definitely not top 10. sure he has good numbers, but how hard is it to run a 10 yard slant and get tackled? all he is is a check down reciever as moss gets double teamed...

those to me are not top 10 skills...

Indo
07-10-2009, 12:10 PM
I think maybe top 20, but not yet top 10...

But he can be top 400 for all I care as long as he keeps making catches like he did on the last drive!

Steely McSmash
07-10-2009, 12:20 PM
i think welker may be a top 20 reciever, definitely not top 10. sure he has good numbers, but how hard is it to run a 10 yard slant and get tackled? all he is is a check down reciever as moss gets double teamed...

I agree he's probably around 15th the way I'm looking at it. You can't catch 3 TDs and be a top 10 receiver.

I'm sure they were favoring this short stuff to keep Cassel comfortable to some extent. That may have actually padded his stats.

Rankings:

Catches 2nd
1st downs 10th
Tds [3TD -- Not in top 50]
Yards - 9th
YPC [10.5 not in top 50]

The_WARDen
07-10-2009, 01:29 PM
If you put Holmes in the top ten, then the Steelers have 2 top ten WRs?

I still have Ward ahead of Holmes...

Steelman16
07-10-2009, 01:37 PM
I'd have to say Holmes is one of the hottest receivers coming into this year, but top ten materiel right now? No.

However, the guy was simply clutch the last few weeks of the season, and pretty much awesomeness during the playoffs. If Fitz hadn't had such a monstrous playoff breakout, Santo probably would have taken top honors.

If the playoffs and Super Bowl are any indication, we could be placing him in the top ten very soon.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Calvin Johnson
Randy Moss
Steve Smith
Greg Jennings
Roddy White
Reggie Wayne
Brandon Marshall
Anquan Boldin
Marques Colston
Terrell Owens

Are the guys I would definitely put before Holmes. As of right now.

Psyychoward86
07-10-2009, 02:11 PM

His quickness and especially his hands are his specialty. If he didnt have such awesome hands, the Pats would use him less in the slot, and a lot more as a deep threat even with Moss back there. He's that fast. But his hands are pretty much as god, if not better than Hines Ward in his prime. At least in my opinion.

Santonio shows promise, he's capable of getting there.

Sharkissle29
07-10-2009, 02:35 PM
His quickness and especially his hands are his specialty. If he didnt have such awesome hands, the Pats would use him less in the slot, and a lot more as a deep threat even with Moss back there. He's that fast. But his hands are pretty much as god, if not better than Hines Ward in his prime. At least in my opinion.

Santonio shows promise, he's capable of getting there.

Very true. But if i am making a top 10 list of receivers i take intangibles into considerations, in other words, what else does wes welker bring to the table besides that? not a whole lot. can he single handedly win a football game?...for what its worth, here is my top 10..

1. Andre Johnson - straight up freak
2. Larry Fitzgerald - same as above
3. Steve Smith - all around great football player, throws blocks
4. Greg Jennings - can beat anyone over the top
5. Randy Moss - personally hate him, but he is a beast
6. Brandon Marshall - legal problems aside, hes amazing
7. Hines Ward - straight up gamer
8. Reggie Wayne - great vet
9. Roddy White - young, but i believe he can take over a game (look what he did with a rookie qb, he has got to be doing something right)
10. Vincent Jackson - one of the most underrated receivers in the game imo

before i get ragged on, i looked at whether or not these guys can take over a game. calvin johnson i believe is too young to do so yet, give him time and a qb.

there are lots of good WR's out there, but these are my top 10. i have reasons why some studs didn't make my list ie. TO and Boldin but this post is already getting too long....
:drink:

The_WARDen
07-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Very true. But if i am making a top 10 list of receivers i take intangibles into considerations, in other words, what else does wes welker bring to the table besides that? not a whole lot. can he single handedly win a football game?...for what its worth, here is my top 10..

1. Andre Johnson - straight up freak
2. Larry Fitzgerald - same as above
3. Steve Smith - all around great football player, throws blocks
4. Greg Jennings - can beat anyone over the top
5. Randy Moss - personally hate him, but he is a beast
6. Brandon Marshall - legal problems aside, hes amazing
7. Hines Ward - straight up gamer
8. Reggie Wayne - great vet
9. Roddy White - young, but i believe he can take over a game (look what he did with a rookie qb, he has got to be doing something right)
10. Vincent Jackson - one of the most underrated receivers in the game imo

before i get ragged on, i looked at whether or not these guys can take over a game. calvin johnson i believe is too young to do so yet, give him time and a qb.

there are lots of good WR's out there, but these are my top 10. i have reasons why some studs didn't make my list ie. TO and Boldin but this post is already getting too long....
:drink:

If Boldin is too long in the tooth, how do you explain Ward being on that list...or Moss?

Psyychoward86
07-10-2009, 02:45 PM
I worry for Hines. Even though statistically, he looked good, I saw a real dropoff in his hands. They just aren't the same

Sharkissle29
07-10-2009, 02:48 PM
If Boldin is too long in the tooth, how do you explain Ward being on that list...or Moss?

Age wasnt the reason why i didnt put boldin up there. after (will still) the debacle boldin has stirred in az i just dont think thats the kind of guy you want to look for in making a successful team. so i guess i threw character in there in my list lol.....

while randy used to be that type of player, you have to admit, he definitely has matured over the years and has learned to watch what he says.

Sharkissle29
07-10-2009, 02:50 PM
I worry for Hines. Even though statistically, he looked good, I saw a real dropoff in his hands. They just aren't the same

I agree that his hands are not what they used to be. but he still delivers when needed the most.

and still no one throws blocks like hines ward....

Psyychoward86
07-10-2009, 03:04 PM
I agree that his hands are not what they used to be. but he still delivers when needed the most.

and still no one throws blocks like hines ward....

Amen!

SteelersJW
07-10-2009, 05:19 PM
No, I'd put him in the top 20. I'd go with:
1. Andre Johnson
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Reggie Wayne
4. Randy Moss
5. Greg Jennings
6. Calvin Johnson
7. Steve Smith
8. Marques Colston
9. Roddy White
10. Anquain Bolden

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Braylon if he's able to return back to '07 form would probably rank pretty highly.

Again, yeah I know "Drops the ball", but when he's not a headcase he's on a pretty high level.

SteelCityKing
07-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Holmes probably wouldn't be in the Top 10. but he'd sure be on my draft team regardless. he's going to get numbers and he's going to produce positively. Hines is still good, but not what he used to be. Sweed needs to keep his eyes on the ball and it'll happen for him this year too. i think the 2nd year rookies like Mendenhall and Sweed will make a much bigger impact this year, and that would make me want to draft them in my league. Holmes a WR3 and Mendenhall a RB3.

The Definiti0n
07-10-2009, 08:21 PM
No. To be in my top ten your have to have eclisped the 1000 yard mark at least one time in your career.
This guys are better just off the top of my head.
Randy Moss
Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Terrel Owens
Brandon Marshall
Steve Smith
Calvin Johnson
Roddy White
Greg Jennings
Wes Welker
Hines Ward
Marques Colston

triphahn
07-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I think HInes Ward goes top 10 before Holmes.

Carolina Steelers
07-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Holmes is still to raw he had a great playoff run, but lets see what he does this season he is still the 2nd option on this team

SC Steeler Steve
07-10-2009, 10:51 PM

Lets see, he wears Black and Gold, he caught the game winner in XLIII, good enough for me..... Top 10 baybee...

Steelers Freak07
07-10-2009, 11:11 PM
I don't think Santonio should be in the top 10 yet. He did perform great in the playoffs especially in the AFC championship game and the Superbowl. But he needs to keep his play consistent throughout the season before he can be in the top 10.

JackHammer
07-11-2009, 02:39 AM
He's not a top 10 yet. If our O-line gets it together this year(IMO they will) and our entire offense plays to it's potential, he'll at least approach top 10 status. It's hard not to think that our offense is due for a breakout year(barring major injuries, which obviously happen). Mendenhall is returning, Summers is arriving, FWP and MM are still here, the o-line received a shot of youth and talent, and there's a healthy fight for the 3rd WR spot. The problem for Holmes is that we like to spread the ball around.

I really hope we can figure out the right group of guys early on, for the o-line, and let them develop over the course of the entire season. Something that didn't happen last year. It all hinges on the o-line. If they improve, look out. Our offense will suddenly be capitalizing on the opportunities that we were failing on last season and that will lead to bigger numbers for the offense. If the o-line plays like they did for a lot of last season, we'll still have a chance to win games but the offense won't put up big numbers in the process.

Boomerang
07-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Top 15 but will be top 10 if our Oline go like i think they will.

Kittyfish
07-11-2009, 08:40 AM
No, not top 10. But I am very impressed by him. Here is a young guy, who, after a small indiscretion earlier in the year, really seemed to pull himself together. He asked for the pressure of putting the team's welfare on his back during the SB (along with Ben, of course), wanted the opportunity of catching the SB winning TD and came through under amazing pressure with flying colors. He talked the talk, and what's more, he walked the walk. "That's how you be great!" indeed. He still has a lot to learn, but he sure does look great in the black and gold, and I for one hope he gets to wear them for a long time to come.

steel striker
07-11-2009, 08:48 AM
I agree with dino because, in the clutch in big games he makes the big plays. Take last season in the first raven game he caught that td pass that turned that game a round. Also we all know in the second game with the rats he caught the decider in that one. The cowboy game he caught the deep ball to gets us of a hole. The playoffs he was simply huge and, he had that punt return for td against the bolts. The 65 yeard td against the rats in the afccg and, the super bowl 43 mvp. No matter what anyone else says Tone really was great when we needed him to be. That's a mark of a champion and, you know what they say big players make big plays in big games. Sorry for being long winded.

revefsreleets
07-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Hines is on his way down.
Homes is on his way up.

Wards best days are behind him...he can still play at a very high level, and he's still easily the most physical WR in the game, but it's time to pass the title of #1 to Santo. No reason if he's the featured WR in our offense next year that he can't move into the top 10.

solardave
07-13-2009, 01:44 PM
He needs a great year behind him to get some props. Not just a great playoff run. He'll be there this year, mark my words.

SteelersTilIDie
07-13-2009, 04:04 PM

1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Andre Johnson
3. Calvin Johnson
4. Randy Moss
5. Steve Smith
6. Brandon Marshall
7. Reggie Wayne
8. Wes Welker
9. Anquan Boldin
10. Dwayne Bowe

off the top of my head, so no, he doesn't belong in the top ten