PDA

View Full Version : Hartwig is in a walking boot

goLERS
07-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Not sure of the injury but it was reported by Stan and Guy on ESPN 1250. This could mean a HUGE opportunity for AQ Shipley. It could also mean Stapleton moves to his more natural position at C for some of training camp (opening the door for Urbik).

KeiselPower99
07-09-2009, 01:24 PM
It is a huge oppurtunity for Legursky. He has been running with the second team in mini camp.

steelreserve
07-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Hmm ... while I'm kind of excited to see what some of the new guys can do when they get an opportunity, I'm not sure this is the way I'd prefer. Hartwig wasn't great last year, but he's more or less dependable. Oh well. Nothing we can do about it but see what happens.

Steel Head
07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Hmm ... while I'm kind of excited to see what some of the new guys can do when they get an opportunity, I'm not sure this is the way I'd prefer. Hartwig wasn't great last year, but he's more or less dependable. Oh well. Nothing we can do about it but see what happens.

still a few weeks till training camp, im not worried. I think im in the minority who actually like Hartwig

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-09-2009, 03:15 PM
It is a huge oppurtunity for Legursky. He has been running with the second team in mini camp.

I like Hartwig, but really think this will be his final season as a Steeler. I never knew that Legursky was getting 2nd team reps, so maybe a good opportunity for him. I'd love to see Legursky pan out.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-09-2009, 03:21 PM
It would kick ass if Legursky panned out and became a pro bowler.

While I like Hartwig (we could have worse ya know), I too think this will be his last year as a Steeler. Whoever is our next center, I sure hope he isn't a stop-gap.

mulldog24
07-09-2009, 03:24 PM
still a few weeks till training camp, im not worried. I think im in the minority who actually like Hartwig

I actually like Hartwig also and think he did a good job last year and he was a solid upgrade over Mehan. I mean, how well can a guy do with 2 guys new to being a starter on either side of him? Thats why I hope Kemo progresses this year and if Urbik starts it won't be so hard on him with only 1 new guy or if Stapleton holds on to the job I hope is better this year.

Steel Head
07-09-2009, 03:24 PM
While I like Hartwig (we could have worse ya know)

like Mahan? lol

yeah, im pretty sure this will be Hartwig's last year (it is his last year under contract). He is getting old and remember before he came here his knees were a big question mark (hopefully he holds up another year)

If both Legursky and Shipley look pretty good, I wonder how they will be able to keep them for next year? Going to have to try and stash 1 of them on the practice squad and hope nobody snags him

Hapa
07-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Time to bring back Hartings :sofunny:

Fire Haley
07-09-2009, 03:33 PM
We're doomed!

RoethlisBURGHer
07-09-2009, 03:35 PM
like Mahan? lol

yeah, im pretty sure this will be Hartwig's last year (it is his last year under contract). He is getting old and remember before he came here his knees were a big question mark (hopefully he holds up another year)

If both Legursky and Shipley look pretty good, I wonder how they will be able to keep them for next year? Going to have to try and stash 1 of them on the practice squad and hope nobody snags him

Haha yeah, I just didn't wanna be the one to say it!

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Haha yeah, I just didn't wanna be the one to say it!

I knew somebody was gonna bring up that he was unduly scapegoated. I'm just surprised that it took this long. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
07-09-2009, 08:21 PM
correct me if im wrong, but wasnt shipley selected with the pick we got from tampa bay in return for mahan?

if nothing else, he will make a nice coat rack in the locker room with those short ass arms. :chuckle:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/coatrack.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/baby-doll-coat-rack-from-design-spo.jpg

thats more than we can say about mahan, right? :laughing:

HometownGal
07-09-2009, 10:04 PM
I knew somebody was gonna bring up that he was unduly scapegoated. I'm just surprised that it took this long. :chuckle:

Imho - Mahan WAS unduly scapegoated. :flap: I'm not a huge fan of Hartwig, admittedly, and it has nothing to do with Mahan being sent packing - I just don't think the guy is much of an upgrade. I'd love to see one of our youngins' beat him out in TC. :thumbsup:

Steel-Bryan
07-10-2009, 12:18 AM
I liked him till he earned us a safety in the superbowl :hug:

Galax Steeler
07-10-2009, 04:39 AM

That was defenitly a bad memory in my mind for the superbowl.:banging:

solardave
07-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Prediction: A.Q. Shipley will start at center and win the T-Rex rookie of the year award. LOL

Steel Head
07-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Imho - Mahan WAS unduly scapegoated. :flap: I'm not a huge fan of Hartwig, admittedly, and it has nothing to do with Mahan being sent packing - I just don't think the guy is much of an upgrade. I'd love to see one of our youngins' beat him out in TC. :thumbsup:

Then why was Mahan traded for a measily 7th round pick one year after signing a 5 year deal? When have the Steelers ever done anything similar to this? (answer=never) Obviously the coaches and front office realized how bad he sucked and cut their losses.

Hartwig is an average center but a huge improvement over Mahan. I dont foresee anyone else taking his spot this year but they will in 2010

scsteeler
07-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Then why was Mahan traded for a measily 7th round pick one year after signing a 5 year deal? When have the Steelers ever done anything similar to this? (answer=never) Obviously the coaches and front office realized how bad he sucked and cut their losses.

Hartwig is an average center but a huge improvement over Mahan. I dont foresee anyone else taking his spot this year but they will in 2010

I agree Hartwig is average but a great improvement over Mahan. While the younger guys may have the talent it takes time to gel into the O-line but you never know!

I like that our coaching staff will put the best guys out there for us to win.

fansince'76
07-10-2009, 08:46 AM

Did the OL greatly improve and did the number of sacks go down measurably after the trade? The answer is no. She's right - Mahan WAS blamed for ALL the problems with the OL, and unfairly so.

Steel Head
07-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Did the OL greatly improve and did the number of sacks go down measurably after the trade? The answer is no. She's right - Mahan WAS blamed for ALL the problems with the OL, and unfairly so.

The OL is more than just Center.

I am right, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm siding with the Steelers coaches and front office on this one.

You don't sign someone to a 5-year deal and trade them 1 year later unless something is drastically wrong

KeiselPower99
07-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Mahan wasnt bad but he wasnt able to black the big NT. Besides he wanted out after he lost his job to Hartwig. Does no one remember his sour grapes speech to the media?

fansince'76
07-10-2009, 09:10 AM
The OL is more than just Center.

I am right, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm siding with the Steelers coaches and front office on this one.

You don't sign someone to a 5-year deal and trade them 1 year later unless something is drastically wrong

I realize that, and I never said Mahan didn't suck. I'm just saying he did catch an undue amount of flak for the underperformance of the OL as a whole. And we can and have done far better than Hartwig at the position in the past. IMO, Hartwig is nothing more than a stopgap at center.

Steel Head
07-10-2009, 09:12 AM
I realize that, and I never said Mahan didn't suck. I'm just saying he did catch an undue amount of flak for the underperformance of the OL as a whole. And we can and have done far better than Hartwig at the position in the past. IMO, Hartwig is nothing more than a stopgap at center.

oh, now i see your point. Even though Mahan did suck, it wasn't just him playing bad so he did get most of the criticism. Yeah, that sounds right

yeah Hartwig is a stopgap and a decent one, hopefully Legursky or Shipley step up and take the job in 2010

mmalone
07-10-2009, 09:44 AM

that was the worst call i seen all year... he was rolling on his back. and then called for holding while laying on his back.

ben made a great play. we had a first and 10 on the 20 something...

that changed the whole game. not hartwig, but the holding call....

if that was holding, then the NE Pats should get a call on every play while Brady is texting someone as he is back to pass.

mmalone
07-10-2009, 09:57 AM
why is hartwig in a walking boot???

anyone??

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-10-2009, 10:15 AM
The main difference why Hartwig is better than Mahan is pure size and strength.

Hartwig has more natural weight, size and strength than Mahan did and was not getting pushed into the backfield like Mahan was. Sadly, Darnell Stapleton is just another version of Mahan....a 290lb guy that bulked up and would get pushed around by the bigger NT's.

IMO, this is similar with Shipley and I think Legursky is better suited to handle the 320lb NT's. Too bad we never had a shot at Eric Wood.

mmalone
07-10-2009, 10:25 AM
IMO, this is similar with Shipley and I think Legursky is better suited to handle the 320lb NT's. Too bad we never had a shot at Eric Wood.

wasnt shipley rated higher than wood and mack in 2008??

then the arm thing came into play and he dropped like a rock.

Steel Head
07-10-2009, 10:28 AM

Mack was always rated higher, not sure about Wood

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Yeah, Steel Head is right. Mack would have been a 1st round pick if he came out as a junior. Jonathan Luigs was rated higher than Shipley back in '08. Wood was all Big East performer, but not that highly rated.

The thing is when you get to see these guys compete as seniors and then at post season games (Senior Bowl/East-West Shrine) and the combine against peers on the same field...you can compare apples to apples.

Hartwig is an average center and big enough to play against all the 3-4 teams we see. I would not be surprised or disappointed to see him get another contract from the Steelers.....I just think they would rather go with a developing young guy next season.

KeiselPower99
07-10-2009, 10:49 AM
The main difference why Hartwig is better than Mahan is pure size and strength.

Hartwig has more natural weight, size and strength than Mahan did and was not getting pushed into the backfield like Mahan was. Sadly, Darnell Stapleton is just another version of Mahan....a 290lb guy that bulked up and would get pushed around by the bigger NT's.

I agree with you on all points. :tt03:

Steel-Bryan
07-10-2009, 01:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE-ets8_a4

After you watch that, look at mayweather vs. kenny :laughing:

Psyychoward86
07-10-2009, 04:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE-ets8_a4

After you watch that, look at mayweather vs. kenny :laughing:

I think I napped during Hartwig's interview. Mayweather is priceless. And he's the worst rapper ever (see youtube)

Steel-Bryan
07-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Lol i just love seeing him get so mad and arguing .

HometownGal
07-10-2009, 10:08 PM

:applaudit::drink::applaudit:

Thank God - someone gets it. :banging:

Preacher
07-10-2009, 10:15 PM
:applaudit::drink::applaudit:

Thank God - someone gets it. :banging:

:laughing:

I aint touching this one!!

mesaSteeler
07-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Hartwig has broken toe
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Just a couple of weeks out from training camp, center Justin Hartwig suffered a broken toe when he dropped an object on his foot.

It's not a big deal, but will likely slow him early in taining camp, which opens at the end of the month.

At least it will probably get him out of the run test.

The run test, by the way, is closed to the media this year.

Posted by Dale Lolley at 12:26 AM 14 comments Links to
this post

(I guess we won't be able to find out how Big Snack does in the test. unless the Steelers want us to. - mesa)

mmalone
07-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Hartwig has broken toe
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Just a couple of weeks out from training camp, center Justin Hartwig suffered a broken toe when he dropped an object on his foot.

It's not a big deal, but will likely slow him early in taining camp, which opens at the end of the month.

good update on the boot... thanks

mesaSteeler
07-13-2009, 06:16 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-14024-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Examiner~y2009m7d10-Report-Steelers-center-Justin-Hartwig-injured

Report: Steelers center Justin Hartwig injured
July 10, 5:03 PM

Daniel Flickinger
Pittsburgh Steelers Examiner

More unconfirmed reports today from local Pittsburgh media outlets saying that center Justin Hartwig has a broken toe and has been seen walking around with a boot just three weeks away from the start of training camp.

On both ESPN Radio 1250 and WXDX 105.9 FM, it was reported that Hartwig was spotted wearing a boot and that he apparently dropped something on his foot to cause the injury.

If this is true, the Steelers have few options in replacing the team’s best offensive lineman as he returns to full health.

The likely scenario would involve moving guard Darnell Stapleton to center, with Penn State product A.Q. Shipley as a back-up. Trai Esssex would then move to right guard with third-round draft choice Kraig Urbik as the back-up.

The other option would include leaving Stapleton at right guard and letting Shipley and Urbik battle for the position in training camp. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians already discussed the possibility of having Urbik take some snaps at center.

The second option would involve less line juggling but is unlikely as neither player has NFL experience.

No matter what the Steelers choose to do, it will all hinge on the severity of Hartwigs injury, if there is one.

Preacher
07-13-2009, 06:55 PM
This is more funny than anything else.

It will have little to ZERO impact on his performance. The toe will heel.

--WHY CANT WE WIN A SUPERBOWL AND NOT HAVE AN OFFSEASON INJURY!

:rofl:

mmalone
07-14-2009, 08:00 AM
There's not much really to "get" ... they both are pretty bad.

Hartwig gave up 6.5 sacks ... most of any center in the NFL.

Mahan gave up 7 or 8 last year ... move of any center in the NFL.

They both are bad, and both deserve equal scrutiny. (although for some reason Hartwig has not gotten much).

I think its the play calling with limited deception in the plays that has us reeling on the OL. Ben makes great ad-lib scrambles and extends plays to get the first downs and yardage. Probably calculating his odds of the next play being read by the defense again.

we have fast running backs, fast receviers and a great te... and the best QB in the league... so why is the offense so readable 50% of the time... why is ben on his back so much... play deception.. and counter blitz plays that are almost non existant. and very few short pass plays used as run substitutes.
thats my take...

Steel Head
07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
There's not much really to "get" ... they both are pretty bad.

Hartwig gave up 6.5 sacks ... most of any center in the NFL.

Mahan gave up 7 or 8 last year ... move of any center in the NFL.

They both are bad, and both deserve equal scrutiny. (although for some reason Hartwig has not gotten much).

Hartwig isn't bad.

watch the game not the stat board

Mahan was probably the worst center i have ever seen in the NFL