PDA

View Full Version : carucci report woes

onefortheotherhand
07-10-2009, 01:44 AM
at the end of the AFC north carucci report, vic asked if the defence could hold up after losing its best leader larry foote

does that really make sense to anyone? because to me it seems that larry foote was a average linebacker while james farrior more influential in the locker room and a better player that most of the defence looked up too

correct me if im wrong though

Preacher
07-10-2009, 01:50 AM
:chuckle:

SHows just how much they really know.

Galax Steeler
07-10-2009, 03:44 AM
I don't see where Foote was a leader on the field. Yes he was a good linebacker but as far as being a leader I would have to say no.

BlastFurnace
07-10-2009, 06:38 AM
I have heard that Foote was one of the leaders in the locker room.

His loss will be meaured by the success of Timmons.

Remember, Randel El was not a great receiver, but he was a leader. Solid, not great...but a very dependable receiver. Foote, as a linebacker, was the same way.

fansince'76
07-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the same question posed after Porter left too? :coffee:

scsteeler
07-10-2009, 07:54 AM
at the end of the AFC north carucci report, vic asked if the defence could hold up after losing its best leader larry foote

does that really make sense to anyone? because to me it seems that larry foote was a average linebacker while james farrior more influential in the locker room and a better player that most of the defence looked up too

Maybe the writeup was to just have something to talk about because the best leader statement was way over the top and not true. While Foote may have been a leader and I really like the guy he was not the best leader. He may be the best leader in the new Lions locker room but not the Steelers!

Men of Steel
07-10-2009, 09:12 AM
if larry foote was our best leader on defense...

then the cowboys must really be americas team too..... :noidea:

:chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the same question posed after Porter left too? :coffee:

Yeah. .........oh no!!! Who is gonna assume that locker room leadership presence?!?!?!?

(where is that sky is falling cat ??)

fansince'76
07-10-2009, 09:32 AM
(where is that sky is falling cat ??)

Ask and you shall receive....

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/sky-is-falling.jpg

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

mulldog24
07-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Foote was a solid veteran player not a big leader and if he was then he would't have lost any playing time to timmons last year.

LVSteelersfan
07-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Shows what this idiot knows. Foote was the weak link on an awesome defense. His departure spells even better things for the Steelers because Timmons gives Lebeau even more options to stomp a QB into the ground. Plus he can drop in coverage against teams with a potent tight end. Larry Foote sucked at that. We won't miss him.

SteelCityKing
07-10-2009, 06:20 PM
The Carucci Report (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8111d05f/The-Carucci-report)

i don't know if this was already posted. but i took a stab at it anyways. it's a good video, but nothing really new that we haven't discussed already. but the best part was the video snippet of Troy Polamalu carrying his son after the Super Bowl win. tuggin' on my heart strings Troy. thanks. haha!

TasmanianTroy271
07-10-2009, 07:00 PM
"Is the league's top ranked defense ready to adjust after saying goodbye to its best leader, linebacker Larry Foote?"

:toofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
07-11-2009, 01:03 AM
Foote was a leader just due to the fact that he was a veteran. But the best leader on that defense?

Troy Polamalu, James Farrior, and Aaron Smith are all much bigger leaders than Foote was.

Larry Foote was a good Steelers linebacker, but he wasn't the best player or leader on the team. Part of what made him good was the players that were around him.

This is the Pittsburgh Steelers. We are a linebacker factory.

JackHammer
07-11-2009, 01:55 AM
Wow. I can't believe someone would worry about the Steelers losing a LB, let alone the weakest link of the corps. Foote was still a SOLID player and leader, no doubt. It just doesn't matter though. We are the STEELERS and this is what WE DO. Where did he get his sports journalism degree?

The only reasoning I can see is that he's banking on Timmons being suspect against the run, but IMO Timmons is going to be as good against the run as any one of the other LB's, with more lateral range than anyone else out there too.

Rick5895
07-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Carrucci is from Buffalo, enough said!!

steel striker
07-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah what does Vic know? Like usually we lose a good player and, people think we are in trouble. Like Fansince76 said when we lost Joey they thought we were trouble. Sure both players are locker room leaders and, are well liked. As a player you have to check your feelings at the door because, it is a business nothing personel Timmons is the future. I miss Porter he made me laugh and, he was a very good player. Foote was a solid player as well but, the future is now. The so called experts really don't know crap hell they still don't think Ben is a top five qb and, after all he has done I think the media needs to get a clue.

Riddle_Of_Steel
07-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I think Vic was just trying to talk about "something", because there really isn't much else to say-- the Steelers are returning an elite team with upgrades.

Folks are quick to bash guys when they aren't on the team anymore, but I for one, will miss Foote-- he was a great lockeroom presence and no matter what you think he has been a big part of the Steelers' defense success verses other teams' run games.

Do I think Timmons will be better? Heck yes. If there was one weakness that was exposed during the playoffs this last season on our defense, it was the underneath stuff.

On first and second downs, the Chargers used that first long TD to Vincent Jackson to spread our defense vertically and take Polamalu out of the game, while Phillip Rivers went to work underneath to Antonio Gates and Sproles.

Against the Cards, we had to pick our poison there too. They were sending receivers deep, and then going underneath to Larry Fitzgerald on first and second down.

With Timmons in there, the middle of the field will be off-limits if the teams want to avoid being picked off (like he did to Matt Cassel when he tried to go underneath to I think it was Ben Watson?).

Timmons will also add a new dimension to the pass rush, being a pretty descent pass rusher himself.

HometownGal
07-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Carucci must be tokin' the crack pipe again. :doh:

Don't get me wrong - I really liked Larry Foote, but he was far from being the "best leader" on the team, nor was he our best linebacker. Farrior has been one of the top leaders, motivators and consistently good players on that D since the day he landed his cleats in the Burgh in '02.

tony hipchest
07-11-2009, 07:54 PM
i think writers are kinda reeling to compare this sb championship steelers team to the one who missed the playoffs in 06.

in addition to bens accident was the uncertainty about the head coach. but what is really understated was the leadership we lost in that group.

the foote comparisson is almost laughable.

bettis- undisputed leader of the offense. practally the coaches son, he could make grown men in the locker room cry. he also held a key to the city and in fans hearts.

hope- quarterback of the defense who made sure everyone was in position and lined up properly and leader of the secondary. teammates also called him the funniest guy in the locker room.

randle el- probably the biggest personality and i would say he was the spiritual leader of the team. either way, all the players liked him and gravitated towards him. i would think he was a huge leader on special teams too.

von oelhoffen- he was the grizzled old vet of the defense, and someone everyone looked up to for his blue collar work ethic. he also tailored the jerseys for his teammates upon request. if that doesnt show leadership and looking out fro your brother, i dont know what does.

the loss of foote is a little less significant than porter or faneca.

the mcfadden loss is about as significant as sean morey.

since james is the silent assassin, i think footes departure really opens up the doors for woodley to be much more vocal.

he will become the steelers "shawn merriman", and take the reigns from porter and foote as the on the field vocal leader and resident trash talker. the guys love that.

fansince'76
07-11-2009, 08:57 PM
i think writers are kinda reeling to compare this sb championship steelers team to the one who missed the playoffs in 06.

Didn't you get the memo? We lucked out because the league was watered down last season. And you're a zealot and an idealogue if you think otherwise. :rolleyes:

HometownGal
07-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Didn't you get the memo? We lucked out because the league was watered down last season. And you're a zealot and an idealogue if you think otherwise. :rolleyes:

Shame on you . . . you zealot! To boot, you're a Kool Aid drinking communist too. :laughing::wink02:

tony hipchest
07-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Didn't you get the memo? :looooove... dont hate.

no need for ad hominem attacks. :whip:

:toofunny: