PDA

View Full Version : Browns rank low, just donít tell fans ó Scott Petrak

mesaSteeler
07-10-2009, 08:13 PM
http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2009/07/10/browns-rank-low-just-don%E2%80%99t-tell-fans-%E2%80%94-scott-petrak/

Browns rank low, just don’t tell fans — Scott Petrak
Scott Petrak

ESPN The Magazine just came out with a ranking of all 122 franchises in the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB. The overall criterion: how much teams give back to fans for all the emotion, money and time fans invest.

The Browns rank … drumroll, please … No. 114.

I know what you’re thinking.

Yes, there really are eight worse franchises. Yes, the Bengals are one of the not-so-great eight.

No, you didn’t need a fancy national study to tell you what you already knew.

But it’s always nice when the nation feels your pain, and there’s a complicated formula to quantify and validate that heartache.

ESPN surveyed fans across the country and performed analyses to determine how efficiently the teams use the money the fans spend. The Los Angeles Angels ranked No. 1, while the New York Islanders, Oakland Raiders, Sacramento Kings, Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Knicks and Los Angeles Clippers checked in lower than the Browns.

Charts and graphs look good in a magazine, but Northeast Ohioans already had all the data necessary to deem the Browns a failure.

They are 54-107 since returning in 1999. They have one playoff appearance and no playoff wins in the decade. They’ve never been to a Super Bowl.

They haven’t beaten the Steelers since 2003. (The Steelers ranked No. 3 overall, best among NFL teams. Some rivalry.)

Eric Mangini is the fifth coach in 10 years. And the Browns have two flawed quarterbacks competing for one job — again.
Other teams in other cities have abysmal records. Other franchises can’t find the right coach. Other organizations lack the leadership, vision, structure and stability to fix the plethora of problems.

What makes the Browns’ persistent struggles so excruciating is the fans’ indefatigable desire for them to be a winner.

They’ve sold out every home game since returning, although that streak could be in jeopardy in 2009 with the region’s economic hardship. More people attend a scrimmage at Cleveland Browns Stadium than the average Indians or Cavaliers game.

The fans chanted “Super Bowl” on the first day of training camp last year. One said he was going to lose sleep after I told him Brady Quinn had a lot of penalties during minicamps — and he was serious.

No matter the month, the Browns discussion on talk radio is the most popular and heated.

The Cavaliers topped NBA teams on ESPN’s list and ranked fifth overall. They rated first in the category of players — their effort on the field/court and likeability off it.

They have the world’s best player, had the NBA’s best record and advanced to the Eastern Conference finals. Yet they can’t catch up to the brown and orange in the fans’ hearts.

The Indians were rated 67th by ESPN, and that was before the bullpen blew up, Kelly Shoppach and Ben Francisco regressed and Eric Wedge was given a vote of confidence.

The Browns may trail their downtown neighbors in bang for the buck, but they remain the clear fan favorite in the City of No Championships.

No matter how poorly they’ve been treated by the team they love.

("City of No Championships" What a wonderful new name for the "Mistake on the Lake". Gotta remember that one for the next time I run across a Brownstain. - mesa)

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Despite the Browns being my favorite team out of the holy trinity of Cleveland Sports, I actually have more fun going to watch the Cavs and Tribe play, as both of those are not as near expensive and it doesn't feel as..commercial and artificial.

The New Stadium still needs to be worn in a bit, I feel that if the Browns actually host a playoff game that it will finally be worn in. (yeah, yeah laugh it up, but it may happen one day.), and then it'll probably feel better to watch them in person. :).

The Browns have one of the best fan bases in sports, if not THE best IMO, it's just sad that they've been reduced to cheering on a franchise that's just barely better than the Bengals, Raiders and Lions..

revefsreleets
07-13-2009, 10:38 AM
They have the world’s best player, had the NBA’s best record and advanced to the Eastern Conference finals. Yet they can’t catch up to the brown and orange in the fans’ hearts.

OMG I can just see the Kobe scrote-lickers heads exploding when they read this...