PDA

View Full Version : Slash was one badass player

onefortheotherhand
07-10-2009, 10:18 PM
it seems like kordell stewart could have been great, playing a few snaps everywhere(WR, WB, RB, K?) a game but i don't see why make him stay in one single role where he can't really take his exceptional athletic talent to the next level :noidea:

fansince'76
07-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Because he stubbornly insisted on playing only QB and Cowher acquiesced.

tony hipchest
07-10-2009, 11:17 PM
you could probably do a highlight reel of his 20-30 best plays that would rival anybodys highlight reel. two 80 yd runs vs baltimore and carolina immediately come to mind.

hope hes doing well with his lifes work now-

osGRgJQ9apw

onefortheotherhand
07-10-2009, 11:32 PM
haha nice vid

LVSteelersfan
07-10-2009, 11:39 PM
you could probably do a highlight reel of his 20-30 best plays that would rival anybodys highlight reel. two 80 yd runs vs baltimore and carolina immediately come to mind.

hope hes doing well with his lifes work now-

osGRgJQ9apw

Yeah right. It shows him actually throwing a paper within catching distance of a receiver. Get real. Cowher never should have let him be a QB. He sucked at crunch time. One good season. Period. Not a good QB by any stretch. Great as a Slash.

JackHammer
07-11-2009, 02:03 AM
:troll:

HometownGal
07-11-2009, 04:09 AM

That's it in a nutshell. Kordell had amazing overall athletic talent, but his ego got in the way.

MasterOfPuppets
07-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Yeah right. It shows him actually throwing a paper within catching distance of a receiver. Get real. Cowher never should have let him be a QB. He sucked at crunch time. One good season. Period. Not a good QB by any stretch. Great as a Slash.

yeah where's the one hops and hitting the wrong houses? ain't this thread a few years late ??? why dig up those ugly old memories?? :doh:

pghfrank1948
07-11-2009, 05:53 AM
Slash lost a lot of credibility when he came out with that I "Im a buisnessman" attitude and this was just a stop on his road to the hall of fame. Cowher gave him all the chance in the world, he jus couldnt cut the mustard at cruch time. Unlike Big Ben who is winner when it counts. No flash just cash!!!

Galax Steeler
07-11-2009, 06:43 AM
I never was a big kordell fan but he was given the chance to be the man but just couldn't handle the job.

steelerchad
07-11-2009, 07:46 AM
When we drafted him in the 2nd, it was obvious we drafted him that high as an athlete not a QB. We then proceeded to put him situations were he could succeed, and he did, and he became a star. How many role players (3rd WR/slot/RB/gadget play QB) become stars in the NFL? He was a huge star in the NFL at that time grabbing highlights, commercials, and endorsements.

At that point he thought he was invinceable and decided he wanted the ultimate glory position. Being a star QB in the NFL. It was his downfall and ours in the 90's.

Kaeg
07-11-2009, 07:47 AM
I liked him, but I wish he would have been content in the slash role. It's where he did his best work. Too bad he couldn't accept that.

steel striker
07-11-2009, 09:02 AM
When he was at the helm I just held my breath. There were times he looked and, many times he looked bad. Looking back we really missed out on winning two more sb's in 1997 & 2001. Or atlest a chance to win them.

7SteelGal43
07-11-2009, 01:07 PM

:thumbsup: BINGO

mulldog24
07-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Kordell could never handle the criticism and pressure of being a QB in the NFL.

steelers7807
07-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Although Holmes has worn #10 for three years now, I still cringe when I see that number. Had we drafted a quarterback like Ben back then, oh the possibilities.

vasteeler
07-11-2009, 10:36 PM
I believe if he had stayed slash,sooner or later he would have been enshrined into the hall of fame.

Edman
07-12-2009, 04:41 PM
No doubt Slash a badass player.

But Slash wanted to be Kordell Stewart the Quarterback.

stillhead
07-13-2009, 10:47 AM
i still can't get over him costing us the 2001 afc championship game at home. if we had a decent qb we win that game. he choked in big games. i remember walking out of that one saying "what just happened". i agree, if he didn't want to be a qb and would have accepted the slash role he would have been fine.

steelreserve
07-13-2009, 11:08 AM
All of you are wrong. Everyone knows it's because he was gay.

revefsreleets
07-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Second best homosexual QB to ever play the game (Behind...whoops, I said behind!) Jeff Garcia...but, then again, those are the only two I know of, so...

STEELAMANIA
07-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Kordell had 4 different OCs and Cohwer's "play not to lose" martyball to put up with. Kordell never fully developed into what he couldve been because Bailey was the only OC who helped Kordell. Cowher's 4 AFC Championship losses are proof that his "style" to win the big games stunk up the joint. Look how long it took him to get a "real" qb....

fansince'76
07-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Kordell had 4 different OCs and Cohwer's "play not to lose" martyball to put up with. Kordell never fully developed into what he couldve been because Bailey was the only OC who helped Kordell. Cowher's 4 AFC Championship losses are proof that his "style" to win the big games stunk up the joint. Look how long it took him to get a "real" qb....

If only Cowher would have had SWEEEEEEEEEED!.... :chuckle:

MACH1
07-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Kordell would have been good if he only had to play one side of the field. Oh wait, they tried that and he still sucked.

Steelerfreak58
07-13-2009, 01:03 PM
You know its off season when crap like this is brought up.... some board muther F58ckers our chomping at the bit for some Steeler football.... :chuckle:

redst3
07-14-2009, 06:08 AM
That game he had against Denver during the regular season in 1997 was unforgetable. He just couldnt get us over the top. When you look at his stats, he was one of the best QBs we ever had.

He still isnt even in the same class as Ben or Terry Bradshaw.

HometownGal
07-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Second best homosexual QB to ever play the game (Behind...whoops, I said behind!) Jeff Garcia...but, then again, those are the only two I know of, so...

I always thought Garcia was a queen, too, and unless he's double dippin', I have to take him off of the Ho-Ho-Homo list:

Jeff Garcia and his wife Carmella Decesare:

http://beerandseeds.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/jeff-garcia-wife-carmella-decesare.jpg

86WARD
07-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Loved Kordell as Slash...one of the most exciting "Wildcat" players of all-time. Wasn't the worst the Steelers ever had at QB, but not on the great side either...slightly above average for a Steelers QB.

Indo
07-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Kordell's biggest problem was his own brain----if he made a mistake (threw an interception or whatever) he couldn't forget it and move on. All QBs make mistakes every now and then, but the Great ones get over it and keep playing. Kordell would get all screwed up in the head and the rest of his game would suck. He didn't take well to the fans booing him, either. It made him play worse...good thing that never happened to Bradshaw because he was booed until he won his 2nd Ring!

revefsreleets
07-14-2009, 08:49 AM
I always thought Garcia was a queen, too, and unless he's double dippin', I have to take him off of the Ho-Ho-Homo list:

Jeff Garcia and his wife Carmella Decesare:

http://beerandseeds.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/jeff-garcia-wife-carmella-decesare.jpg

They are beards...he tries WAY too hard to dispel the myths, ONLY dating like Playboy centerfolds and the like. I think he has a nice arrangement with them...he goes shopping with them and buys them lot's of nice things, and he gets to smoke whatever pole he wants.

fansince'76
07-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Kordell's biggest problem was his own brain----if he made a mistake (threw an interception or whatever) he couldn't forget it and move on. All QBs make mistakes every now and then, but the Great ones get over it and keep playing. Kordell would get all screwed up in the head and the rest of his game would suck. He didn't take well to the fans booing him, either. It made him play worse...good thing that never happened to Bradshaw because he was booed until he won his 2nd Ring!

Bingo. He'd make a mistake and instead of shaking it off, he'd play even worse.