PDA

View Full Version : Another Colts Steelers analysis...

Suitanim
01-14-2006, 06:43 PM
...from a buddy at another site. Let me disclaim, I DID NOT WRITE THIS, but I think it's interesting and accurate. This guy knows a lot about football, and is a College Professor and no dummy.

"First, lets get the semantics out of the way. The Colts are the best team in football this year. But, that does not mean they are the best team in football TODAY. Their 13-0 run was stunning. Their defense is swarming. Their offense puts up points in bunches.

So what. We are not picked to win this. We are not even picked to stay IN this game. That is why the Colts will get caught under the tires of the Bus.

Steelers Defense VS Colts Offense.
The key to this game, IMO, is to grind this game down in number of possessions. Now, this can be done with a pounding running game with our offense, or it can be done by forcing the Colts to run the football. The Chargers run a 3-4 defense, like the Steelers do. The Chargers rattled Manning by just putting him on his ass. They lined up in a 3-3-5 defense and brought pressure, forcing the Colts to keep Edge in the backfield to pass protect. The Chargers walked a player up on the outside of Merriman, in an overload position (2 linebackers on one side). It forced the Colts to block Merriman with one guy....and he beat the tackle consistently. The Colts use a 2 TE set to slow the outside pass rush by chipping. The Steelers need to take that chip away and bring the OLBs. The ONLY counter to this is to max protect and only send out the 2 WRs, and you have 5 DBs and a middle linebacker to stop it. The other option would be to check off to a run. Well, if Edge gets 30 touches this game, you can damn well bet you see the number of possessions decrease, which again, is to our advantage. That run will work until they get inside the 20s, where the Steelers will bring out the normal redzone defense and force the Colts to a FG.

Everyone is calling our defensive backfield the weakness to our defense. I do not agree with that. The Chargers secondary is not better than our secondary, yet they intercepted Manning twice and sacked him 4 times. They stuffed Edge with the 3-3-5 because they kept the 5th DB near the LOS, and Manning stayed with the pass. It is not a reach for us to do the same. Lastly, Ike will not get beaten with the pump again. Polamalu will be flying to the ball. Haggans and Porter are healthy and ready. Farrior is back, he was coming off an injury in the last outing. McFadden and Carter have stepped it up. The Steelers will force some turnovers and points will come off the turnovers. This defense owes the Colts....and how many times have the Steelers owed someone and not paid them in full.

Colts Defense VS Steelers Offense
This is where we make hay. The Steelers adjusted the gameplan in the last game to protect Roethlisberger's knee. They asked him not to move. They asked him to throw it away to protect himself. He injured his thumb on a Colt's players helmet that game. We lost Marvel early. They were vanilla and predictable. Does that upset me? Nope. That game had no meaning. The most important thing was to get our guys back healthy and be prepared for games that mean something....games like this one. This Colts defense can be beaten. How? You throw on them. You throw on 1st and 2nd down and you throw DOWN the field. The Steelers will use play action on first down and challenge down the field. Roethlisberger has his mobility back. We have a healthy Marvel Smith. The Steelers started the first game with 2 TEs and 1 WR. That is not going to happen again. You can bet if they start with 2 TEs, they have 2 WRs and 1 RB. My guess, we get into the traditional set, 1 TE, 2 WRs, a FB and a RB. We use play action with both backs staying in to protect. Miller down the middle will be open and it will be HUGE. It will change the field on the opening drive. The slick screen to Willie will be there, but I think it gets ran to the other side. Mathis will not respond well to that screen and that will be a huge chunk. The Steelers will score early by throwing the football, just like they did against New England last year. When they get up, the Bus will make all his usual stops.

Steelers Special Teams VS Indy Special Teams
I think this is a monster advantage for the Steelers. Good FG kicker in Reed. Good punter in Gardocki. But, I expect Ike to bring one back into Indy territory and I think that Randle El either brings one to the house or so damn close to it that we punch it in on the next play. You do not have to have the best offense and defense to win the game. Ask New England about blocking kicks and returning punts. Points come off field position and this game, we will be ready. The Steelers KNOW what to expect and that is a monster advantage this game.

This will be a hard hitting, snot bubble game. The Colts defense has earned some respect for being hard hitting, but their offense is still as soft as hot butter. They have had 3 weeks to get rested. They are healthy, but their timing on Sunday will be like the timing of our injured players last outing. It will be just bad enough that by the time they get their shit in one basket, we will be making reservations for next week.

Steelers 31-Colts 13

tony hipchest
01-14-2006, 07:04 PM
...from a buddy at another site. Let me disclaim, I DID NOT WRITE THIS, but I think it's interesting and accurate. This guy knows a lot about football, and is a College Professor and no dummy.

"First, lets get the semantics out of the way. The Colts are the best team in football this year. But, that does not mean they are the best team in football TODAY. Their 13-0 run was stunning. Their defense is swarming. Their offense puts up points in bunches.

So what. We are not picked to win this. We are not even picked to stay IN this game. That is why the Colts will get caught under the tires of the Bus.

Steelers Defense VS Colts Offense.
The key to this game, IMO, is to grind this game down in number of possessions. Now, this can be done with a pounding running game with our offense, or it can be done by forcing the Colts to run the football. The Chargers run a 3-4 defense, like the Steelers do. The Chargers rattled Manning by just putting him on his ass. They lined up in a 3-3-5 defense and brought pressure, forcing the Colts to keep Edge in the backfield to pass protect. The Chargers walked a player up on the outside of Merriman, in an overload position (2 linebackers on one side). It forced the Colts to block Merriman with one guy....and he beat the tackle consistently. The Colts use a 2 TE set to slow the outside pass rush by chipping. The Steelers need to take that chip away and bring the OLBs. The ONLY counter to this is to max protect and only send out the 2 WRs, and you have 5 DBs and a middle linebacker to stop it. The other option would be to check off to a run. Well, if Edge gets 30 touches this game, you can damn well bet you see the number of possessions decrease, which again, is to our advantage. That run will work until they get inside the 20s, where the Steelers will bring out the normal redzone defense and force the Colts to a FG.

Everyone is calling our defensive backfield the weakness to our defense. I do not agree with that. The Chargers secondary is not better than our secondary, yet they intercepted Manning twice and sacked him 4 times. They stuffed Edge with the 3-3-5 because they kept the 5th DB near the LOS, and Manning stayed with the pass. It is not a reach for us to do the same. Lastly, Ike will not get beaten with the pump again. Polamalu will be flying to the ball. Haggans and Porter are healthy and ready. Farrior is back, he was coming off an injury in the last outing. McFadden and Carter have stepped it up. The Steelers will force some turnovers and points will come off the turnovers. This defense owes the Colts....and how many times have the Steelers owed someone and not paid them in full.

Colts Defense VS Steelers Offense
This is where we make hay. The Steelers adjusted the gameplan in the last game to protect Roethlisberger's knee. They asked him not to move. They asked him to throw it away to protect himself. He injured his thumb on a Colt's players helmet that game. We lost Marvel early. They were vanilla and predictable. Does that upset me? Nope. That game had no meaning. The most important thing was to get our guys back healthy and be prepared for games that mean something....games like this one. This Colts defense can be beaten. How? You throw on them. You throw on 1st and 2nd down and you throw DOWN the field. The Steelers will use play action on first down and challenge down the field. Roethlisberger has his mobility back. We have a healthy Marvel Smith. The Steelers started the first game with 2 TEs and 1 WR. That is not going to happen again. You can bet if they start with 2 TEs, they have 2 WRs and 1 RB. My guess, we get into the traditional set, 1 TE, 2 WRs, a FB and a RB. We use play action with both backs staying in to protect. Miller down the middle will be open and it will be HUGE. It will change the field on the opening drive. The slick screen to Willie will be there, but I think it gets ran to the other side. Mathis will not respond well to that screen and that will be a huge chunk. The Steelers will score early by throwing the football, just like they did against New England last year. When they get up, the Bus will make all his usual stops.

Steelers Special Teams VS Indy Special Teams
I think this is a monster advantage for the Steelers. Good FG kicker in Reed. Good punter in Gardocki. But, I expect Ike to bring one back into Indy territory and I think that Randle El either brings one to the house or so damn close to it that we punch it in on the next play. You do not have to have the best offense and defense to win the game. Ask New England about blocking kicks and returning punts. Points come off field position and this game, we will be ready. The Steelers KNOW what to expect and that is a monster advantage this game.

This will be a hard hitting, snot bubble game. The Colts defense has earned some respect for being hard hitting, but their offense is still as soft as hot butter. They have had 3 weeks to get rested. They are healthy, but their timing on Sunday will be like the timing of our injured players last outing. It will be just bad enough that by the time they get their shit in one basket, we will be making reservations for next week.

Steelers 31-Colts 13:jump: :iagree: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

i like the take on heath miller. this really seems like a matchup to exploit. and carter and mcfadden. i heard an interview with carter this week and he has been studying and watching film all week like hes a starter. theyre "definitely" looking at the chargers tape. hes slowly making his name known and how he was talking is that the secondary will be very focused and studied. i liked what i heard. i think the steelers health factor has really been overlooked in this game.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-14-2006, 10:03 PM
The Steelers have sustained drives, eat up the clock and therefore shorten the game..which is to our advantage.

Nice writeup.

Stlrs4Life
01-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Wow, sounds pretty good to me. That guy needs to be a coach! LOL!

MichiSteeler
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Wow, sounds pretty good to me. That guy needs to be a coach! LOL!
Lol indeed,:bouncy:

Prosdo
01-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Good read there

tony hipchest
01-15-2006, 06:41 PM
suit, please send this guy his props. pretty much called the game to a tee.

Suitanim
01-15-2006, 06:55 PM
suit, please send this guy his props. pretty much called the game to a tee.

I shall, I shall...