PDA

View Full Version : Since the First Wave of Stimulus Waste Did Such a Bang-Up Job...

revefsreleets
07-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Let's do it again! Yay for Obama! What a great idea!

Seriously, this is retarded...either it's working (it's not) and it needs more time, or it's not and we need to back off and re-think saddling the next generation with another couple trillion in debt. But ANOTHER shitty spending bill is literally the very definition of throwing good money after bad.

It'd be one thing if this money was actually being spent, but the government is just too slow and ineffective. I'd say the best answer right now is to finish the few projects that are underway and end this stupid idea now. It's NOT saving jobs, it's certainly not CREATING jobs, and it seems to be just wasting tons of cash.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090712/bs_afp/useconomypoliticsstimulus_20090712235903

"The promised 2.5 million jobs have not materialized," Stelzer said.
"It turns out that the label 'stimulus' was slapped on a grab-bag of spending projects that could not be initiated in time to affect the jobs market -- only some 15 percent of the stimulus money has been spent. Or it just might be that borrow-and-spend is not the route to recovery"
Morgan Stanley economists Richard Berner and David Greenlaw said in a research note that an additional stimulus might pump too much money into the system and spark inflation.
"While the recession is not over, we believe it will wind down later this summer," they wrote. "Thus, not only is further stimulus unnecessary, but additional spending or tax cuts could represent a classic pro-cyclical policy mistake."

Dino 6 Rings
07-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Hey, my company didn't fire anyone yet today...I think B.O. should get credit for "saving" those jobs.

fansince'76
07-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Hold on....

Wait for it.....

Bu, bu, bu, bu, BUSH! :coffee:

revefsreleets
07-13-2009, 12:14 PM
At the very WORST, let's go ahead and try and get the originally allocated money out there and spent. But launching a SECOND wave of undisciplined and unfocused spending of money we don't (and probably never will) have?

Please...

The good news for the GOP? It's reaching a point where THEY don't have to be anything, do anything, or offer any alternatives...all they'll have to be to take back control is NOT have a (D) next to their name in the voting booth.

steelreserve
07-13-2009, 12:20 PM
At least where I am in California, it seems like the only thing that happened with the first stimulus package is the state government was broke, so it spent most of the stimulus money paying its bills for programs that already existed. It didn't so much create new jobs as much as keep a few thousand workers on the payroll doing what they were already doing. Only things are so screwed up that the state's still broke even after that.

Oh, and also, they squandered a few billion dollars on some high-speed rail line between San Francisco and Los Angeles that's going to be obsolete the day they open it, because you can already fly there in about an hour for $39, so nobody's ever going to ride it unless tickets are like $5, which they won't be.

fansince'76
07-13-2009, 12:24 PM
At least where I am in California, it seems like the only thing that happened with the first stimulus package is the state government was broke, so it spent most of the stimulus money paying its bills for programs that already existed. It didn't so much create new jobs as much as keep a few thousand workers on the payroll doing what they were already doing. Only things are so screwed up that the state's still broke even after that.

Oh, and also, they squandered a few billion dollars on some high-speed rail line between San Francisco and Los Angeles that's going to be obsolete the day they open it, because you can already fly there in about an hour for $39, so nobody's ever going to ride it unless tickets are like $5, which they won't be.

How much did Michael Jackson's wake wind up costing you guys? THAT pisses me off. :mad:

steelreserve
07-13-2009, 12:26 PM
The good news for the GOP? It's reaching a point where THEY don't have to be anything, do anything, or offer any alternatives...all they'll have to be to take back control is NOT have a (D) next to their name in the voting booth.

The only thing I worry about is that by the time 2012 rolls around, the economy will have recovered on its own anyway, and Obama will get all the credit for it because people are too stupid to understand that it was unrelated. That, or the Republicans collectively poke themselves in the eyeball by giving the nomination to Palin.

Either one of these things has a huge likelihood of happening, because all you have to do in order for it to succeed is count on the stupidity of the common man.

Still, it's pretty impressive to see how quickly OMGbama has worn out his welcome even among the people who were all for him at first. It's pretty difficult to blow what was basically the biggest free pass in the history of politics.

revefsreleets
07-13-2009, 12:32 PM
That IS a good point about the economy righting itself. And Obama COULD get credit for it, even though he probably did more to hinder it then simply doing nothing at all...

Then again, he DID rack up projected debt into the double digit trillions...that isn't just going to go away.

steelreserve
07-13-2009, 12:33 PM
How much did Michael Jackson's wake wind up costing you guys? THAT pisses me off. :mad:

$1.4 million was the official number. But I have no doubt they'll make it all back and then some. The estate tax alone for that weirdo will probably be $80 million, not to mention all the money that the sudden surge of interest is generating for various Hollywood-related entities, who then have to turn around and pay the highest taxes in the nation.

Not that it really matters, since even if the state will probably come out in the positive, it'll just waste the money anyway.

steelreserve
07-13-2009, 12:37 PM
That IS a good point about the economy righting itself. And Obama COULD get credit for it, even though he probably did more to hinder it then simply doing nothing at all...

Then again, he DID rack up projected debt into the double digit trillions...that isn't just going to go away.

Oh, they're definitely going to have to get the debt down by printing a ton of money one day. There just isn't going to be any other way, especially given that Social Security and Medicare payouts are about to go up by 15 hillion jillion percent in the next 10 years or so. But I'm betting that OMGbama will at least be able to put that off until after he's out of office, so whenever it happens, everyone will just blame it on whoever is president at the time...

MACH1
07-13-2009, 12:59 PM
I heard they've only spent about 10% of the first one. Why in hell do they want a second one already.

Besides I love how they left small business out of the loop. Small business only employees 80% of the country.

Instead of helping them, just tax the shit out of them.

KeiselPower99
07-13-2009, 01:54 PM
$1.4 million was the official number. But I have no doubt they'll make it all back and then some. The estate tax alone for that weirdo will probably be $80 million, not to mention all the money that the sudden surge of interest is generating for various Hollywood-related entities, who then have to turn around and pay the highest taxes in the nation.

Not that it really matters, since even if the state will probably come out in the positive, it'll just waste the money anyway.

WHAT??? 1.4 MILLION for a freakin funeral???? Make the Jacksons pay for it not the citizens of California. Also I heard that out there in Ca that they are thinking about putting thermostats in houses and itll be controlled by the government. Is this true?? As for the Stimulis It had too many holes in it and isnt working. It wasnt needed as bad as the government thought.

fansince'76
07-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Still, it's pretty impressive to see how quickly OMGbama has worn out his welcome even among the people who were all for him at first. It's pretty difficult to blow what was basically the biggest free pass in the history of politics.

Not really, at least not yet. He's still being handled with kid gloves by the MSM and is still pretty much infallible in their eyes, and why not? They created him in the first place.

MACH1
07-13-2009, 02:02 PM
WHAT??? 1.4 MILLION for a freakin funeral???? Make the Jacksons pay for it not the citizens of California. Also I heard that out there in Ca that they are thinking about putting thermostats in houses and itll be controlled by the government. Is this true?? As for the Stimulis It had too many holes in it and isnt working. It wasnt needed as bad as the government thought.

Here where I live, there's a voluntary program with the power company for that exact thing. They can control how much power your A/C and, or heater is getting. In they're flier it say's they only want to do it for the hours between 8am and 8pm when most people aren't home during the day.
No I didn't sign up.

fansince'76
07-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Here where I live, there's a voluntary program with the power company for that exact thing. They can control how much power your A/C and, or heater is getting. In they're flier it say's they only want to do it for the hours between 8am and 8pm when most people aren't home during the day.
No I didn't sign up.

Hey Mach, do you have Xcel Energy in Idaho? They're pretty much a monopoly here in Colorado. Bunch of shakedown artists, IMO.

MACH1
07-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Hey Mach, do you have Xcel Energy in Idaho? They're pretty much a monopoly here in Colorado.

Nope, We have Idaho Power, which is in 3,4 different surrounding states. And they just got an 8% increase approval. They were trying for 13%.
Most of our power is hydro. They wanted an increase for lack of water last year and this year has been a very wet year, so wet the farmers are bitchin. We have enough water the canal company is only running half the cfm's they normally do and the power company gets a raise. :doh:

fansince'76
07-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Nope, We have Idaho Power, which is in 4,5 different surrounding states. And they just got an 8% increase approval. They were trying for 13%.

Sounds familiar. Xcel goes to the PUC saying they need to hike their rates by a certain percentage and the PUC pretty much gives the proposed increase their rubber stamp of approval every time. Only the Colorado PUC gives them their full proposed increase every time - pretty sure someone at the state PUC is getting a kickback. :mad:

steelreserve
07-13-2009, 03:19 PM

I think most of the $1.4 million went toward paying overtime for basically the whole police department to control the mobs in the streets. Probably some of it also went toward renting out the Staples Center. I really think they got most if not all of it back from all the people who flooded into the area and spent money, so I don't really think of it as that big of a deal.

Yeah, California has the "smart" thermostats (and electric meters) that let the power company remotely turn down your power supply, although so far they're voluntary and they give you a slightly lower electric bill as an incentive. I have no doubt that they'll be mandatory in a few years, though. This is, after all, the state that banned the light bulb. You're not allowed to buy anything but the flourescent coil bulbs after 2010 -- on top of which they've done the consumer an enormous favor by declaring those same flourescent bulbs hazardous waste because they have traces of mercury. So now you can't throw away a freaking LIGHT BULB in the trash; you're supposed to drive 15 miles out to the dump to get rid of it at a special disposal center -- for a fee of course -- or mail them in to the garbage company in a special prepaid mailer that costs $16 for four bulbs. I swear I am not making this up.

After that, I think the plan is that everyone gets to feel proud of themselves for being so "green" and progressive while they sit around chanting "Yaaaay! Eco-eco-eco!" despite the fact that they probably caused MORE pollution by going through all this bullshit than by just using a regular goddamn light bulb in the first place.

P.S. -- I don't actually take the flourescent bulbs to the dump or mail them in; I just throw them in the trash anyway like everyone else, with a puzzled shrug toward the 2% of people who actually bother with all that.

</rant>

MACH1
07-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Just dig a hole in the back yard and dispose of them. :chuckle:

revefsreleets
07-13-2009, 03:35 PM
And Obama's Energy Czar will, I'm sure, be the overseer of said program.

George Orwell was only 25 years late...

43Hitman
07-14-2009, 09:59 AM
No worries, I laid off two today. Just wait for the cap and trade to go through..

Sorry to hear that. I've been un-employed since last November, still nothing here in VA. My un-employment benefits run out next week...Things are going to get very tight around here. Good thing mom and dad taught me to save and to stay away from credit card debt, because of those two values I'll make it. I got to find a job sooner or later right?

revefsreleets
07-14-2009, 10:17 AM
See, THAT is one aspect of "stimulus" I believe in. The recession really started Dec '07, and there are a LOT of people whose benefits are going to run out. Skip all this horseshit entitlements spending on pet projects, and give direct aid straight to the people who have been hit hardest by the downturn in the economy. THAT makes sense...and it's the only government spending that I can get behind right now. All this other garbage is just that...NO cap and trade, NO highways and bridges to nowhere, NO healthcare reform, NO more bank and auto industry bailouts...let these things sort themselves out on the open market, but give the people who lost their jobs benefits!

MACH1
07-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Sorry to hear that. I've been un-employed since last November, still nothing here in VA. My un-employment benefits run out next week...Things are going to get very tight around here. Good thing mom and dad taught me to save and to stay away from credit card debt, because of those two values I'll make it. I got to find a job sooner or later right?

What? No handouts from obonga that he promised?

Shit, you should own your own house, have a new car and be receiving a paycheck from the gov by now. Plus I hear the benefits are just going to keep getting better and better.

KeiselPower99
07-14-2009, 07:05 PM

Ive been out of work since December except the 2 months I worked for Acorn on the Census. There aint nothing here. I went for an interview at a coal mine but the guy couldnt here me because they were getting ready to lay off an entire shift. The stimluis is and was a damn joke.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
07-14-2009, 09:53 PM
fingers crossed I may finally have a full time job lined up. I have been cut down to 10 hours a week at LOWES since about October of last year. I have all but spent my savings just trying to keep my head above water.

The good news is I might be getting a full time job, the bad news is that it is as a termite inspector. Not the job I wanted, but at this point a job is a job. Hope they can work around me taking a few classes at night or something to get me closer to getting in Pharmacy School.