PDA

View Full Version : Ravens receiver Mason retires from NFL

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Ravens receiver Mason retires from NFL
By Jamison Hensley | jamison.hensley@baltsun.com

In the most surprising move of the Ravens' offseason, wide receiver Derrick Mason has abruptly announced his retirement.

"I have had a tremendous career and I played for two great teams. I had fun," Mason told jocklife.com, a Web site that shares an office building with Mason's agent. "In my career, I have been able to do everything but win a Super Bowl. I've had the opportunity to play on great teams and with great players. After 12 years, I have seen it all and done it all," Mason said. "Right now, I am content with the decision I am making. All good things come to an end, and I am ready to see what else life has to offer."

Mason's retirement comes nine days after quarterback Steve McNair, a longtime friend and teammate, was shot and killed in Nashville, Tenn.

"I have been thinking about this since the season ended," Mason said. "Emotionally I am just not that enthused. I have not been that enthused to get up and work out ... it was getting to that point. This decision has nothing to do with the contract situation; I have made enough money, more than enough money. Emotionally there are things that are more important. It's time right now. I don't know what's going to happen from here, but it's going to be really nice to see what life has in store for me. What I want people to remember about my NFL career is that I played hard ... played hard in practice and the game. I tried to make everyone better and would do anything to help."

The Ravens didn't immediately respond to a phone call from The Baltimore Sun. That leaves the Ravens with Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams as their top wide receivers.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-derrick-mason-0713,0,4346245.story

fansince'76
07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Another guy who did some damage against us over the years, but I still liked and respected him. Good luck, Derrick. :drink:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-13-2009, 05:16 PM
The Ravens ignored the lack of depth at the WR position in the off-season. Mason wouldnt have been a #2 WR on alot of teams but was the #1 with the Ravens....so now unless they can land a player like Boldin...they are SCREWED!!!

As of now, their #1 WR is Mark Clayton who had 41 catches and 695 yards last year...Behind him is Yamon Figurs with a whopping 1 catch for 43 yards...and Marcus Smith with 0 receptions.

Now THAT is by far the worst WR corp in the game!!!

NJarhead
07-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Another guy who did some damage against us over the years, but I still liked and respected him. Good luck, Derrick. :drink:

I agree 100%.

I'd also like to add, HA! What are they going to do now???? :laughing:

steelax04
07-13-2009, 05:28 PM
This might pose some issues for Mr. Flacco...

mesaSteeler
07-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Mason leaves huge void for Ravens
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth
July 13, 2009 6:07 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

During the Baltimore Ravens' run to the AFC Championship Game last season, veteran receiver Derrick Mason developed into one of the team's most indispensible players.

Suddenly, that huge void needs to be filled just weeks before training camp as Mason announced his retirement before the 2009 season. Here is the full report from ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton.

So what's next for the Ravens? They have major work to do and in very little time.

Giving a call to veteran Marvin Harrison, who is the best free-agent receiver available, could be a good first step. In the past, signing Harrison didn't make sense for Baltimore because his skills as a possession receiver are very similar to Mason's. But with Mason gone Harrison, if healthy, has the ability to fill that void.

The Ravens will save $3 million off their cap with Mason's retirement, making a strong play for Harrison a possibility. Baltimore also has been mentioned in several trade scenarios involving disgruntled receivers such as Brandon Marshall and Anquan Boldin in the past, but nothing ever came to fruition.

Keep in mind that Baltimore is in the process of working out a long-term deal with Pro Bowl defensive end/linebacker Terrell Suggs, which is a huge priority. Suggs currently is playing on the franchise tag and the deadline to remove it is Wednesday.

But after a decision on Suggs is final, Baltimore needs to put all of its efforts into patching up the major void Mason leaves behind. The Ravens were one game away from the Super Bowl last season and have very high expectations, and fielding a starting receiving duo of Mark Clayton and possibly Demetrius Williams simply won't cut it.

Baltimore Ravens, AFC North, Derrick Mason, Steve McNair, Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin, Pro Bowl, Terrell Suggs, frachise tag

Read comments or leave a comment

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Gotta think the "Plax" threads are starting in the Ravens forums

Edman
07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Another Steeler Killer and former Titan I had respect for.

revefsreleets
07-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Downgrading the Rats to 7-9 next year...

Fire Haley
07-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Buh bye Ratbirds!

I gotta admit, Mason and McNair were quite the combo.

Ciao!

Psyychoward86
07-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Good for us, bad for the ravens. Sounds good.

tony hipchest
07-13-2009, 06:27 PM
the obvious choice is matt jones, but jamal is no longer there to supply him with blow. it may not work out.

they'll probably go the cheap route and look at amani toomer if they cant work a trade.

Fire Haley
07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Isn't Marvin Harrison still available?

tony hipchest
07-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Isn't Marvin Harrison still available?yeah. he seems either a bit more committed to retirement, or more willing to dig in his heels for a huge final paycheck than amani toomer though.

if he was gonna play for what the ravens could offer, i would think he would just return with the colts or go home to the eagles (although the eagles are actually deep).

wwho knows though. the ravens could knock his socks off (especially if they tell him he will be #1).

Ravnet
07-13-2009, 06:45 PM
This is a devastating blow if Ozzie doesn't bring in premiere talent, but conversely, this could force our FO to trade for Mashall/Boldin.

CantStop85
07-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Paging Mr. Burress...paging Mr. Burress...

Fire Haley
07-13-2009, 07:13 PM
I'll take another new hat

http://www.ocsports.net/mm5/graphics/00000001/p2790001reg.jpg

NJarhead
07-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Of the choices they have (and assuming Marvin is not one of them), I think A. Toomer is the best fit for them.

devilsdancefloor
07-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Wow! Raise pint cheers have a god retirement steeler killer! I have lots of respect for him!:drink:

tony hipchest
07-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Of the choices they have (and assuming Marvin is not one of them), I think A. Toomer is the best fit for them.yeah, their group definitely needs a veteran. after toomer its all Slim Pickins.

theres ike hilliard. injury prone and slow, he can run a damn good route and has reliable hands.

the giants will most likely be releasing another wr (d. tyree or sinorice moss).

then theres all the substance abusers from k. robinson to the jagoffs from jaxsonville.

theyre up a creek.

Preacher
07-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Maybe we can trade Sweed to them for a used puck bag... from what I hear around here, Sweed sucks.

NJarhead
07-13-2009, 08:27 PM
yeah, their group definitely needs a veteran. after toomer its all Slim Pickins.

theres ike hilliard. injury prone and slow, he can run a damn good route and has reliable hands.
the giants will most likely be releasing another wr (d. tyree or sinorice moss).

then theres all the substance abusers from k. robinson to the jagoffs from jaxsonville.

theyre up a creek.

I always liked Ike, but he's just a wittle guy. lol.

One of Toomers perks is his size. Overall, I think he could help Flacco. Not that I care, but...

lilyoder6
07-13-2009, 09:26 PM
the ravens knew they had a drop off after mason and did nothing during the 1st part of FA and the draft...

i agree.. luckily for them there are still quality wr's out there to be sign

Stover4Prez
07-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Word. This sucks....

MasterOfPuppets
07-14-2009, 01:00 AM
:laughing: ...love it !!! i guess in hindsight nicks or britt woulda been the wiser draft picks....oh wait.... almost everybody mocked a wr to them....:toofunny:. but there's still a few FA to help them them on thier way to a below .500 record record..:chuckle:

besides the previously mentioned....
Reggie Williams
Koren Robinson
Justin McCareins
Ashley Lelie
Syndric Steptoe
D.J. Hackett
Eric Parker
Jerry Porter

or they can wait for the clowns to cut david patten ... or the steelers to axe baker....:laughing:

JackHammer
07-14-2009, 03:26 AM
Boy was Mason a thorn in our side at times..... He says he's been thinking about it since the end of the season, but you get the feeling McNair's death really put him over the edge in terms of making up his mind. Things like that have a way of prioritizing life for you. Anyway, :cheers: to a damn good WR and thorn in our side. It's gonna be interesting to see what the Ravens do to fill the hole.

Galax Steeler
07-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Mason was tough on us at times he was a good receiver. It don't hurt my feeling to see him retire.

MasterOfPuppets
07-14-2009, 04:54 AM
i'm just amazed with given masons imminent departure, and the lack of a quality # 2 or 3 receiver on the roster, the only move they made for the position was kelly washington ??? they didn't even spend a draft pick on one....:doh: good planning ozzy..:thumbsup:
i'd say the ratbird fans should be about as dumbfounded as some steeler fans are about not seriously trying to upgrade the Oline.

CantStop85
07-14-2009, 06:02 AM
i'm just amazed with given masons imminent departure, and the lack of a quality # 2 or 3 receiver on the roster, the only move they made for the position was kelly washington ??? they didn't even spend a draft pick on one....:doh: good planning ozzy..:thumbsup:
i'd say the ratbird fans should be about as dumbfounded as some steeler fans are about not seriously trying to upgrade the Oline.
On the bright side, the Ravens fans will get the pleasure of seeing this every time Kelley Washington scores. :chuckle:
xMuvjLcuvTI

Dino 6 Rings
07-14-2009, 08:13 AM
So let me get this straight...

The Defending AFC North, AFC and Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers are worried about replacing Nate Washington as the #3 on the Roster and the Baltimore Ravens who the Steelers beat, Not One, Not Two, But Three Times Last Season are now, in Mid July, less than 60 days from Kickoff of the 09 Season, Trying to find a new #1 Receiver?

Do I have that Right?

Like I said earlier, The Bengals finish second in the AFC North, The Ravens battle with the Browns for Not Last place.

I'm going to enjoy this season. Very Very Much.

revefsreleets
07-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Steelers 13-3
Rats 7-9
Bengals 7-9
Browns 6-10

Steel Head
07-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Mason could be posturing for more money which he already complained about earlier in the offseason

If the Ravens do lose Mason, they will be screwed

Fire Haley
07-14-2009, 09:42 AM
"I'm screwed!"- Joe Flacco

Ratnest is in full-blown panic mode. ha ha!

steelreserve
07-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Wow, and I thought their receiving corps sucked before this.

They'll probably be able to bring in some big-name guy on the downside of his career, but that doesn't usually do much good. Between this and their losses on defense, that team got a lot worse this offseason.

SteelCityMan786
07-14-2009, 12:37 PM
He played with a Blue Collar work ethic. Good Luck to him.

MasterOfPuppets
07-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Wow, and I thought their receiving corps sucked before this.

They'll probably be able to bring in some big-name guy on the downside of his career, but that doesn't usually do much good. Between this and their losses on defense, that team got a lot worse this offseason. well considering that none of the receivers on thier roster have probably never caught more than 25 nfl passes in a season...what choice do they have.....:toofunny:

Steel Head
07-14-2009, 12:45 PM
after this season, Joe Flacco's picture will be in the dictionary next to the phrase "sophomore slump"

MasterOfPuppets
07-14-2009, 01:17 PM
wr's on the ratbirds roster ( according to nfl.com ) .....

Clayton, Mark................5th year
Figurs, Yamon...............3rd yr
Harper, Justin................2nd
Mason, Derrick..............oops
Riley, Eron.....................0
Smith, Marcus...............2nd
Washington, Kelley......7th
Wheelwright, Ernie.......1
Williams, Demetrius . .4th
Williams, Edward..........1
Williams, Isaiah............0

clayton and williams have pretty much been busts thus far and probably wouldn't make it as a 3rd on half the other teams.. .... figurs has done zip as far as receiving... washington is nothing but an average 3rd receiver ....they better get on the phones with arizona and denver and pay the ransom ....oh wait... they haven't payed suggs his ransom yet !!! :toofunny:

steelreserve
07-14-2009, 01:39 PM
well considering that none of the receivers on thier roster have probably never caught more than 25 nfl passes in a season...what choice do they have.....:toofunny:

Not much of a choice, that's for sure! It'll just be amusing to watch them do that knowing that they'll probably fail. :thumbsup:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
07-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Great Player - Happy to see the Steeler Killer go......

HometownGal
08-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Looks like Derrick Mason was infected somewhere along the line with Favre-itis:

Mason opts to return after short-lived retirement

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/01/mason-opts-to-return-after-short-lived-retirement/

Less than a month after surprisingly announcing his retirement, Derrick Mason is making a comeback with the Baltimore Ravens. The veteran receiver will send a letter to the NFL stating his intention to return to the league and is expected to join the Ravens on the field Sunday.

“I needed to evaluate my life, football and my career,” Mason said in a release. “The last several weeks thinking about it and talking with my family was an important time for me and them.”

“I still have an intense fire inside me, and I want to play. My family and I wanted to finish it out the right way. I felt like I had left something undone, and I wanted to finish it.”

When Mason decided to walk away on July 13th, it left the Ravens with Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams as their most accomplished receivers. Baltimore eventually signed Drew Bennett to a one-year contract, but he retired two days later because he aggravated an old knee injury during his initial tryout.

Mason led Baltimore in catches (80) and receiving yards (1,037) in 2008. As he enters his 13th season in the league, including his fifth with the Ravens, he has 790 receptions for 10,061 yards and 52 touchdowns.

“I think I’m in great shape,” Mason said. “I have been working out, and I was part of the offseason program. I’m ready to get out there with my teammates.”

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Looks like Derrick Mason was infected somewhere along the line with Favre-itis:

Mason opts to return after short-lived retirement

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/01/mason-opts-to-return-after-short-lived-retirement/

Less than a month after surprisingly announcing his retirement, Derrick Mason is making a comeback with the Baltimore Ravens. The veteran receiver will send a letter to the NFL stating his intention to return to the league and is expected to join the Ravens on the field Sunday.

“I needed to evaluate my life, football and my career,” Mason said in a release. “The last several weeks thinking about it and talking with my family was an important time for me and them.”

“I still have an intense fire inside me, and I want to play. My family and I wanted to finish it out the right way. I felt like I had left something undone, and I wanted to finish it.”

When Mason decided to walk away on July 13th, it left the Ravens with Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams as their most accomplished receivers. Baltimore eventually signed Drew Bennett to a one-year contract, but he retired two days later because he aggravated an old knee injury during his initial tryout.

Mason led Baltimore in catches (80) and receiving yards (1,037) in 2008. As he enters his 13th season in the league, including his fifth with the Ravens, he has 790 receptions for 10,061 yards and 52 touchdowns.

“I think I’m in great shape,” Mason said. “I have been working out, and I was part of the offseason program. I’m ready to get out there with my teammates.”

Which raises the crappy WR corp...to a spectacularly below average WR corp,

RoethlisBURGHer
08-01-2009, 02:42 PM
He couldn't leave that $4M sitting there, I think he retires at the end of the season.

And as for the Ravens receiving corps, they still aren't spectacular. Mason is a lesser version of Hines Ward. They don't have that game breaker like we have in Holmes and could possibly have in Sweed.

MasterOfPuppets
08-01-2009, 02:56 PM
damn ....:banging:

Crow-Magnon
08-02-2009, 05:45 AM
He couldn't leave that $4M sitting there, I think he retires at the end of the season.

And as for the Ravens receiving corps, they still aren't spectacular. Mason is a lesser version of Hines Ward. They don't have that game breaker like we have in Holmes and could possibly have in Sweed.

Trust me, you aren't going to get a big argument about that from most Ravens fans.

Fire Haley
08-02-2009, 08:33 AM
All the Ravens good players are a year from retirement.

I know if I had Ed Reed's injury, (nerve impingement in neck) I would quit immediately. One more hit and you're a quad cripple for life.

revefsreleets
08-02-2009, 11:24 AM
How much of his heart will be in the game you think? How many crossing patterns will he run against the Steelers with Clark and Troy out there lurking?

Rats are still an 8-8 team at best.

Ravnet
08-02-2009, 01:16 PM
How much of his heart will be in the game you think? How many crossing patterns will he run against the Steelers with Clark and Troy out there lurking?

You have to be kidding me.

Do you actually think that Derrick Mason, a consummate professional in every sense of the term, would opt to not run the most efficient routes because Ryan Clark is "lurking?"

Give me a break. . .

revefsreleets
08-03-2009, 09:09 AM

Do you actually think that Derrick Mason, a consummate professional in every sense of the term, would opt to not run the most efficient routes because Ryan Clark is "lurking?"

Give me a break. . .

You have become delusional. This guy doesn't want to play football anymore...he doesn't have the heart for it anymore. He had to be cajoled into coming back. And by mocking Ryan Clark, you also show a complete lack of football acumen. Clark hits like a truck.

My guess is Mason plays long enough to get paid, and fakes an injury which he can milk out for the rest of the year. Since the Rats punked out on playing the opener in Pittsburgh (effing pussies), we will never find out one way or the other, as the first Rats game isn't til the end of November. Mason will be on the PUP or IR by then for sure...

Steel Head
08-03-2009, 09:30 AM
remember Timmons laid Mason the F out

Ravnet
08-03-2009, 04:08 PM
My guess is Mason plays long enough to get paid, and fakes an injury which he can milk out for the rest of the year. Since the Rats punked out on playing the opener in Pittsburgh (effing pussies), we will never find out one way or the other, as the first Rats game isn't til the end of November. Mason will be on the PUP or IR by then for sure...

Because you're literate and seem to be able to combine competent thoughts into coherent sentences, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your absolutely outrageous claims are mere jokes, and that the sarcasm doesn't translate over the internet.

In that case, :applaudit:

revefsreleets
08-04-2009, 09:53 AM
8-8...two more loses to the Steelers. That's all that really matters...

Stover4Prez
08-04-2009, 06:47 PM
There is no way Mason folds up and goes home. He is probably the toughest player I have ever seen on the field. He played the end of the season completely banged up and was a powerhouse in a game where he played the second half literally with only 1 arm! Honestly, it is not like him to malinger to the end. If he says he is back, he is back!

HometownGal
08-04-2009, 06:54 PM
There is no way Mason folds up and goes home. He is probably the toughest player I have ever seen on the field. He played the end of the season completely banged up and was a powerhouse in a game where he played the second half literally with only 1 arm! Honestly, it is not like him to malinger to the end. If he says he is back, he is back!

I have no doubt Mason will give it his all as he always has on the field. Hines is the same way - can't keep a total teamer down. :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
08-05-2009, 08:32 AM
The beauty of all this is that we shall truly see in just a few weeks.

No disrespect to Mason, but when a guy wants to quit and is lured back in, I just don't think he's going to have his head 100% in the game...just like Favre last year. I AM certainly glad that I cheer for a team that doesn't have to pin a bunch of it's hopes onto one over-the-hill WR who has one eye on his pension, though...

Ravnet
08-05-2009, 02:25 PM
I AM certainly glad that I cheer for a team that doesn't have to pin a bunch of it's hopes onto an embarrassingly weak offensive line one through five, though...

Fixed that for you.

MasterOfPuppets
08-05-2009, 02:44 PM

Give me a break. . .
if he's smart he will...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JgGwL0y_a6k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JgGwL0y_a6k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MasterOfPuppets
08-05-2009, 02:49 PM
remember Timmons laid Mason the F out

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vNTUJHBGdCo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vNTUJHBGdCo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> :chuckle:

revefsreleets
08-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Fixed that for you.

Particularly weak even considering the source. That line is just one part of a much bigger team that is, for the most part, excellent. And I would NOT be so quick to dismiss them...the season hasn't even started yet.

Need I remind you that, no matter how close the games, and whatever excuses you want to make, the Steelers STILL beat the Rats 3 times last year.

Aren't you also the same nincompoop who said Clark is no threat to old man Mason?

Did you watch the video? Clark knocked Mcgehee the eff out, a big strong RB who HAS his head on a swivel and was 100% IN THE game.

Mason is a smart guy...he won't even be accidentally drifting over the middle this year unless it's as a decoy. His pension beckons...

Ravnet
08-05-2009, 06:13 PM
That line is just one part of a much bigger team that is, for the most part, excellent. And I would NOT be so quick to dismiss them...the season hasn't even started yet.

So how could that possibly be said for your line and not our receivers?

I can post videos of our linebackers jacking up your quarterback, but that doesn't lead me to the conclusion that Ben will be hesitant next season and be content after a Super Bowl victory.