PDA

View Full Version : Harris vs. Holmes

SteelCityKing
07-14-2009, 05:31 PM
now, i know there have been many amazing plays in the annals of Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh sports history and basically, it would be hard as hell to pick just one.

so, i wanted to start a small debate by choosing two of what would be considered some of the greatest plays in all of sports history. the one: dating back to the birth of the Pittsburgh Steelers dynasty of the 1970s, The Immaculate Reception. the other: the most recent super play to cap off a 6th Super Bowl title.

i ask, which is better? Franco Harris' Immaculate Reception or Santonio Holmes' game winning Super Bowl XLIII grab en route to title number 6? i'm sure this is debatable to no end and i'm sure there are plenty of opinions that goes either way. but just a nice friendly debate would be nice and i want to hear your opinions. this topic has been discussed over and over at the watercooler at work (literally) and it swings both ways.

i want to know what you guys think. thanks for your time reading this. i hope it flies. =)

HometownGal
07-14-2009, 05:40 PM
While both plays were phenomenal game breakers, I have to go with The Immaculate Reception, as that amazing play developed with the Steelers facing fourth-and-10 on their own 40-yard line with 22 seconds remaining in the game and no time-outs. It was do or die for the Steelers and that play truly was their last chance to win that game. :tt02:

SteelCityKing
07-14-2009, 05:47 PM
While both plays were phenomenal game breakers, I have to go with The Immaculate Reception, as that amazing play developed with the Steelers facing fourth-and-10 on their own 40-yard line with 22 seconds remaining in the game and no time-outs. It was do or die for the Steelers and that play truly was their last chance to win that game. :tt02:

i'm not doubting The Immaculate Reception was amazing, but i voted for Santonio Holmes catch for the simple fact it won our 6th championship. TIR was stellar and it showed great athleticism (sp) but all it did was win a game with their backs to the wall. (like Holmes catch.) i know TIR is considered one of the greatest plays EVER, but the play was basically a fluke and we went down, scored, and won the game. but where did it get us, aside from the fact that it is now considered the greatest play ever. i mean, it truly is a great play, but we lost the AFC Championship game to the Dolphins the next week. so, it was a great play that got us nowhere.

the Holmes catch got us a Super Bowl and there's no debate around it. it wasn't a fluke, it was sheer atheleticism, and it got us a title. i lean towards the Holmes catch. i hope i'm not the only one really. haha!

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Holmes catch wasnt even the best play in SBXLIII........Harrison's INT was.

HometownGal
07-14-2009, 06:06 PM

Absolutely. :applaudit::thumbsup:

Aussie_steeler
07-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Without the immaculate reception what might the future have been?

Franco's catch for me thanks.

JackHammer
07-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Without the immaculate reception what might the future have been?

I think a statement like this does a terrible disservice to Chuck Noll. Immaculate Reception or no Immaculate Reception, Noll was going to make the Steelers a great team one way or the other. No Immaculate Reception, at worst, would've just prolonged the inevitable. Of course, I do believe going on to get beat by the Dolphins served as a good lesson for a dynasty that was yet to rise, but that dynasty was going to rise either way IMO.

My vote is for Holmes' catch. It was in the SUPER BOWL, and it had absolutely NOTHING to do with luck. Franco benefited from the element of surprise when half of the Raiders didn't know what was going on. Holmes made a toe tapping catch in TRIPLE COVERAGE.

Psyychoward86
07-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm going to say Holmes, just because with the Immaculate Reception, Franco Harris just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Holmes made that play, if you get my drift. By the way, how do you make a poll on these forums?

SteelCityKing
07-14-2009, 07:17 PM
I think a statement like this does a terrible disservice to Chuck Noll. Immaculate Reception or no Immaculate Reception, Noll was going to make the Steelers a great team one way or the other. No Immaculate Reception, at worst, would've just prolonged the inevitable. Of course, I do believe going on to get beat by the Dolphins served as a good lesson for a dynasty that was yet to rise, but that dynasty was going to rise either way IMO.

My vote is for Holmes' catch. It was in the SUPER BOWL, and it had absolutely NOTHING to do with luck. Franco benefited from the element of surprise when half of the Raiders didn't know what was going on. Holmes made a toe tapping catch in TRIPLE COVERAGE.

i always hear that The Immaculate Recepetion was the birth of what sports became in the city of Pittsburgh. i always disagreed and said Pittsburgh sports was put on the map due to Mazeroski's game winning home run in the 1960 World Series. i think that was a defining moment in Pittsburgh sports history.

i think the Immaculate Reception was amazing, but a nice chunk of good luck and great awareness. period. it'll forever be known as the greatest play, but a fluke play nonetheless.

the Holmes catch was far more amazing because of the game winning drive to get to that catch. triple coverage and his tip toes put us ahead of the game and the chalked another championship up on the tally sheet. granted, the defense picked up a fumble recovery on the next Arizona play, but if it wasn't for Holmes catch, it'd be a much bigger upset than Giants over Patriots and we'd never hear the end of it.

tucker6
07-14-2009, 08:11 PM
With all due respect to Santonio, the Immaculate Reception started the Steelers dynasty. That play and win proved the Steelers had arrived in the NFL. The rest, as they say, is history. Anyone voting the other way is under 40. JMHO.

St33lersguy
07-14-2009, 08:14 PM
i'm not doubting The Immaculate Reception was amazing, but i voted for Santonio Holmes catch for the simple fact it won our 6th championship. TIR was stellar and it showed great athleticism (sp) but all it did was win a game with their backs to the wall. (like Holmes catch.) i know TIR is considered one of the greatest plays EVER, but the play was basically a fluke and we went down, scored, and won the game. but where did it get us, aside from the fact that it is now considered the greatest play ever. i mean, it truly is a great play, but we lost the AFC Championship game to the Dolphins the next week. so, it was a great play that got us nowhere.

:iagree:

T Bradshaw
07-14-2009, 08:20 PM
now, i know there have been many amazing plays in the annals of Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh sports history and basically, it would be hard as hell to pick just one.

so, i wanted to start a small debate by choosing two of what would be considered some of the greatest plays in all of sports history. the one: dating back to the birth of the Pittsburgh Steelers dynasty of the 1970s, The Immaculate Reception. the other: the most recent super play to cap off a 6th Super Bowl title.

i ask, which is better? Franco Harris' Immaculate Reception or Santonio Holmes' game winning Super Bowl XLIII grab en route to title number 6? i'm sure this is debatable to no end and i'm sure there are plenty of opinions that goes either way. but just a nice friendly debate would be nice and i want to hear your opinions. this topic has been discussed over and over at the watercooler at work (literally) and it swings both ways.

i want to know what you guys think. thanks for your time reading this. i hope it flies. =)

James Harrison's INT for TD is the greatest play in super bowl history and of course Steelers history!
No linebacker has ever done that in the SB, or maybe even the playoffs. I have not even seen it in reg season, not by a linebacker!

Its amazing how dumb and stupid some people and posters are, that play was worth 14 points!

BTW- didnt Santonio drop a TD pass before his game winning TD??

fansince'76
07-14-2009, 09:30 PM

I'm going with the IR - Santo made a great catch, but to me the better part of that play was Ben's pass, which was a perfectly-thrown laser.

MACH1
07-14-2009, 09:38 PM
No contest. Franco wins hands down!

Harrison INT is second.

LVSteelersfan
07-14-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm old school so I tend to lean toward the Immaculate Reception myself. Not that the Holmes catch wasn't great, but Harris' run to the end zone was so improbable and so exciting for me that it still gives me chills to this day when they show replays of it. I agree that Harrison's return was the best Super Bowl play ever for the Steelers. Holmes comes in a distant third or fourth to the catches Swann and Stallworth made to beat those Cowgirls.

tony hipchest
07-14-2009, 09:40 PM
which is the greater of michaelangelos sculptures?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/572px-Michelangelos_Pieta_5450_crop.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/MichaelangelosDavid.jpg

the roman pieta is considered the begining of an artistic dynasty, while the statue of david is seen as a crux.

however the sistine chapel or tomb of pope julius II werent even completed.

the steelers are the nfl's michaelangelo, and the best is yet to come.

JackHammer
07-14-2009, 09:46 PM
With all due respect to Santonio, the Immaculate Reception started the Steelers dynasty. That play and win proved the Steelers had arrived in the NFL. The rest, as they say, is history. Anyone voting the other way is under 40. JMHO.
With all due respect to the Immaculate Reception, CHUCK NOLL STARTED THE STEELERS DYNASTY!!!!! While the IR was a very symbolic event that gave us a very symbolic playoff win, the dynasty was born in 1969 with the arrival of Noll. If the Immaculate Reception never happened, we still would have won 4 Super Bowls because dynasties are built and not luckily stumbled upon. Chuck Noll built a team that was capable of becoming a dynasty and to act like it all hinged on one play really short changes what he did. There's a reason why Andy Russell was the only survivor. The Emperor changed EVERYTHING.

devilsdancefloor
07-14-2009, 10:59 PM
tones catch was great BUT id have to go with francos catch with out a doubt.

tony hipchest
07-14-2009, 11:45 PM
the nfl has yet to even see mike tomlin angry...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/moses.jpg

...let alone, feel his wrath-

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/last-judgment-christ-wga-crop.jpg

and michael jackson unveiling the moonwalk has got NOTHING on the footwork during james harrisons 100 yard return.

Stang909
07-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Both plays were truly great but you have to look at the bigger picture. What did each play do for the team that year? When you answer that question Santonio's play is bigger.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Both plays were truly great but you have to look at the bigger picture. What did each play do for the team that year? When you answer that question Santonio's play is bigger.

If you truly are looking "at the bigger picture", then the Immaculate Reception was far bigger. In the words of Franco Harris..."I had a burning desire to be on a #1 team...it really set a new standard and a foundation for what was to come".

The Immaculate reception gave the Steelers their first playoff win....EVER....and it started the march to 4 Super Bowls in the 70's and 80's. Have a look at what Joe Greene, Franco and Andy Russell have to say at this link.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-americas-game/09000d5d801413cd/NFL-Network-America-s-Game-1974-Pittsburgh-Steelers

Men of Steel
07-15-2009, 12:14 AM
IMO...Troy Polamalu's PIK 6 vs baltimore was the best play!!!!!!!

ooo wait... what r we talkin about..... :doh:

:chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Jack Lambert throwing Cliff Harris to the ground after a missed FG is possibly the best play ever by a Steeler......and it happened after the whistle.

But, that happened years before the invention of the Atari 2600 and decades before fantasy football.......so its value is highly discounted here.

Galax Steeler
07-15-2009, 04:19 AM
I have to go with Harris that was a fenominal catch. If Holmes would have caught the first pass that Ben throwed to him in the endzone then we wouldn't even be talking about this.

SteelMember
07-15-2009, 07:58 AM
i'm not doubting The Immaculate Reception was amazing, but it was a great play that got us nowhere.

It was the spark that started the fire.

With all due respect to the Immaculate Reception, CHUCK NOLL STARTED THE STEELERS DYNASTY!!!!!

While Coach Noll deserves a lot of credit, it still boils down to...
Coaches coach and players play. Joe Greene, coachs first draft pick, was very frustrated until that point.

Yes it was. I could watch thay play on a loop all day long. :tt03:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/572px-Michelangelos_Pieta_5450_crop.jpg

the roman pieta is considered the begining of an artistic dynasty, while the statue of david is seen as a crux.

I think the pieta is fricking amazing. While the sheer size of David is impressive in itself and the fact that he had to look at that chunk of marble like a diamond cutter, look at the polish and those folds of fabric on the pieta. It's hard to believe that Medusa herself didn't freeze that moment in time. Awesome.

tony hipchest
07-15-2009, 09:26 AM
I think the pieta is fricking amazing. While the sheer size of David is impressive in itself and the fact that he had to look at that chunk of marble like a diamond cutter, look at the polish and those folds of fabric on the pieta. It's hard to believe that Medusa herself didn't freeze that moment in time. Awesome.

well said.

the "hail mary" like pass that led to the immaculate reception is a moment that will forever be frozen in time (like the pieta), and santonios catch was larger than life. the sheer magnitude of being on the grandest stage and being viewed by millions and millions....

both are great. :tt02:

millwalldavey
07-15-2009, 10:07 AM
The Immaculate Reception was the start of great things.

Santonio's catch was simply remarkable and won the big game for us.

I'd go with Franco in this poll, but the greatest was simply the greatest catch ever... Lynn Swann being tripped in SB10!

SteelMember
07-15-2009, 10:17 AM
the greatest was simply the greatest catch ever... Lynn Swann being tripped in SB10!

That was impressive. Those ballerina lessons really paid off. :noidea::chuckle:

SteelersTilIDie
07-15-2009, 10:23 AM
of course santonio's is better, it WON A SUPERBOWL!

steelreserve
07-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Well, I guess this is now a question that someone's going to bring up every couple months for the rest of eternity.

Apples and oranges, man.

triphahn
07-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Has to be the immaculate reception. The single greatest play in the history of all sports.

SteelCityKing
07-15-2009, 02:50 PM
ohhh...it's neck and neck. i like that.

i'm still going with Holmes...even though Franco's catch is leading to some good, clean debate.

i have to be honest about one thing, i'm REALLY glad they didn't give Santonio Holme's catch a nickname. not that "The Immaculate Reception" isn't a great nickname. but with it already taken, i'm shocked the media didn't give it a cheesy half-assed nickname like, "The Deadliest Catch" or something like that.

...wait...a...minute...that doesn't sound so bad. maybe i should put a copyright on that...maybe...oh crap. it's already a tv show on Discovery channel. nevermind. =)

Indo
07-15-2009, 03:48 PM

Well put

AllD
07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
1A- Immaculate Reception
1B-Immaculate Interception
1C-Holme's SB Winng Catch

BlastFurnace
07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't know....The Tackle in the Colts playoff game was pretty huge itself. If not for Ben, Nick Harper is gone.

If I had to choose any of them, I take the Holmes catch, because it was the catch to win it all.

Preacher
07-15-2009, 06:15 PM
I don't know....The Tackle in the Colts playoff game was pretty huge itself. If not for Ben, Nick Harper is gone.

If I had to choose any of them, I take the Holmes catch, because it was the catch to win it all.

I don't know.

If that tackle isn't made, we don't go to and win the SB.

That tackle in many ways is VERY REMINESCENT of TIR. It very well may have saved/launched a second dynasty. What Ben doesn't tackle him? Does Cowher come back more hungry the next year? Does Porter stay around longer (With Cowher) and we lose Harrison? Do we not open up the offense as much as it is now, and not have the ability to come back and win games like we do now?

The more I think about it, this question shouldn't be Harris vs. Holmes, But

The Immaculate Reception vs. The Tackle.

JackHammer
07-15-2009, 08:37 PM
While Coach Noll deserves a lot of credit, it still boils down to...
Coaches coach and players play.

Absolutely. Look at the players who were playing before Noll, and those who were playing after he arrived. Night and day. He put those guys on the field to make those plays. Who knows how and who we would've drafted had Paterno taken the job, but I have doubts about him fielding a team like Noll did. That's nothing against Paterno either. Fact of the matter is that without Noll, there is no Immaculate Reception and we most likely don't have 6 SB trophies in our trophy case.

millwalldavey
07-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Such a shame that we have sooooo many plays to choose from.

Psyychoward86
07-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Although I've got to say, Troy Polamalu's fingertip interception against the chargers in the regular season was the best play i had ever, EVER seen. If he returned it for 6 points, i think my life would be complete right about now.

revefsreleets
07-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Easy. Immaculate Reception. In fact, it very well may have been the greatest NFL play EVER. I believe it has it's exhibit at the HOF (but it's been a few years, maybe not any more).

Santo's play was awesome. It's a lot like the Montana-Dwight Clark hook-up "The Catch" in the 82 NFCCG. It's iconic, but the Immaculate Reception is in it's own stratosphere. In fact, I'm SHOCKED that the voting is this close...I thought there would be like maybe two votes for Holmes catch.

HometownGal
07-16-2009, 01:44 PM
In fact, I'm SHOCKED that the voting is this close...I thought there would be like maybe two votes for Holmes catch.

I'm really not, revs. I think some members here weren't even a twinkle in their Daddy's eye when the Immaculate Reception happened and maybe have only read about it instead of actually seeing it or looking up a You Tube video. :noidea: Simply reading about that phenomenal play just doesn't do it justice!

revefsreleets
07-16-2009, 02:40 PM
No, I get that...I know there are many "young padawan learners" on this board, but it's THE Immaculate Reception, man! The greatest play in NFL history! (By the way, I have the Stanford/Cal kick return as the greatest COLLEGE play of all time).

Shame on these young kids for not boning up on their history!

LambertIsGod58
07-16-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm going to say Holmes, just because with the Immaculate Reception, Franco Harris just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Holmes made that play, if you get my drift. By the way, how do you make a poll on these forums?

My vote is for The Immaculate Reception. The biggest reason is that we are voting on what was the better play. My stance is that we were facing an almost impossible scenerio to win that game. Was Holmes' catch great? Absolutely. And as far as Franco being in the right place at right time, I DISAGREE. I'm paraphrasing Coach Noll: Franco was a special player....in the aspect that he never took a play off. Franco's original responsibility on that play was to block a blitzing linebacker. No one came, so he went down field. Franco was in the right place at the right time b/c of his work ethic and hustle.

Immaculate Reception all the way!!!!!:tt:

LambertIsGod58
07-16-2009, 05:59 PM
No, I get that...I know there are many "young padawan learners" on this board, but it's THE Immaculate Reception, man! The greatest play in NFL history! (By the way, I have the Stanford/Cal kick return as the greatest COLLEGE play of all time).

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T.Richardson
07-16-2009, 07:27 PM
What about Big Bens shoelace tackle!?! Now that's a play!

steelerchad
07-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Although Francos catch was incredible, it was mostly luck. Being in the right place and getting a lucky bounce. In addition, we lost the next week and didn't make the Superbowl.
Santonio's catch was on the line, toe tap for a TD with 30 seconds left to win the Superbowl. Obviously this means more in the end. The play was planned and executed perfectly. Perfect throw, Perfect Catch, TD, Game Over.

If that catch wasn't made it's 4th and we kick 3 to tie. I shutter to think we lose the coin toss for OT and AZ only needs a FG to win the way they moved the ball in the 4th.

The Immaculate Reception was more of an unbelieveable play, but if you had to have one play it would have to be Holmes catch. If not, we could possibly still be stuck on 5 SB's.

solardave
07-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Franco catch won the game but the Steelers lost the next game. End of SEASON!
Holmes catch WON THE SUPERBOWL>END OF SEASON. I love Franco,I remember watching the catch live.Holmes catch wins in my book!

revefsreleets
07-17-2009, 02:51 PM
IR has it's own little place on the HOF website.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/release.aspx?release_id=762

BlastFurnace
07-17-2009, 03:47 PM
I thought of these off the top of my head. Warning....some of these memories are painful...

Best plays all time by the Steelers:

1. Holmes Catch
2. Immaculate Reception
3. The Tackle
4. John Stallworth's 4th QTR touchdown catch in Super Bowl XIII
5. Larry Brown's touchdown catch to ice the game in Super Bowl IX.
6. Randel El's Super Bowl Touchdown pass
7. Lynn Swann's Super Bowl X touchdown catch against the Cowboys.
8. Lynn Swann's acrobatic touchdown catch to put the Steelers up 35-17 in Super Bowl XII.
9. Gary Anderson's winning kick against Houston (1989 Wildcard Game)
10. NOD's pass to Ernie Mills down the right sideline in the 1995 Championship Game.

Most Crushing plays of all time

1. 4th and 3 (1994 Championship Game)
2. NOD's 2nd Interception in Super Bowl XXX.
3. Rodney Harrison's Interception (2004 Championship Game)
4. Kordell's 2nd Interception (2001 Championship Game)
5. Tim McKyer/Tony Martin play (1994 Championship Game)
6. Joey Porter's dropped INT in the 2001 Championship Game that he would have scored a touchdown on.
7. Shannon Sharpe's 3rd down conversion (1997 Championship Game)
8. The Joe Nedney kick (2002 Divisional Playoff Game)
9. Mark Stock's drop of the Bubby Brister pass in the 1989 Denver playoff game that might have allowed us to run out the clock.

Three plays that very well could have been in the most Crushing Plays had the Steelers Lost these games:

1. The Hail Mary pass against the Colts in 1995.
2. The Jerome Bettis Fumble in the Colts 2005 Divisional Playoff Game
3. The Doug Brien missed FG in 2004 Divisional Playoff game against the Jets.

Sharkissle29
07-17-2009, 04:19 PM

You have to admit, even though it was a great play, the immaculate reception was PURE luck. where as holmes, was just perfect execution....

Psyychoward86
07-17-2009, 04:29 PM
I thought of these off the top of my head. Warning....some of these memories are painful...

Best plays all time by the Steelers:

1. Holmes Catch
2. Immaculate Reception
3. The Tackle
4. John Stallworth's 4th QTR touchdown catch in Super Bowl XIII
5. Larry Brown's touchdown catch to ice the game in Super Bowl IX.
6. Randel El's Super Bowl Touchdown pass
7. Lynn Swann's Super Bowl X touchdown catch against the Cowboys.
8. Lynn Swann's acrobatic touchdown catch to put the Steelers up 35-17 in Super Bowl XII.
9. Gary Anderson's winning kick against Houston (1989 Wildcard Game)
10. NOD's pass to Ernie Mills down the right sideline in the 1995 Championship Game.

Most Crushing plays of all time

1. 4th and 3 (1994 Championship Game)
2. NOD's 2nd Interception in Super Bowl XXX.
3. Rodney Harrison's Interception (2004 Championship Game)
4. Kordell's 2nd Interception (2001 Championship Game)
5. Tim McKyer/Tony Martin play (1994 Championship Game)
6. Joey Porter's dropped INT in the 2001 Championship Game that he would have scored a touchdown on.
7. Shannon Sharpe's 3rd down conversion (1997 Championship Game)
8. The Joe Nedney kick (2002 Divisional Playoff Game)
9. Mark Stock's drop of the Bubby Brister pass in the 1989 Denver playoff game that might have allowed us to run out the clock.

Three plays that very well could have been in the most Crushing Plays had the Steelers Lost these games:

1. The Hail Mary pass against the Colts in 1995.
2. The Jerome Bettis Fumble in the Colts 2005 Divisional Playoff Game
3. The Doug Brien missed FG in 2004 Divisional Playoff game against the Jets.

No fingertip interception by Troy during the Chargers game?

triphahn
07-17-2009, 05:51 PM
What about Harrison's interception return. A potential 14 point swing.

BlastFurnace
07-17-2009, 06:26 PM
What about Harrison's interception return. A potential 14 point swing.

LOL...I can't believe I left that one out.

Kittyfish
07-18-2009, 08:58 AM
I was not following football at the time of the IR, though I have seen replays of it many, many, many times and I get that it was a turning point in the Steelers fortunes. I also realize that nothing will ever ever top the IR in the minds of most fans until Ben catches his own deep pass and runs it into the end zone himself, a la Nelson in the Simpsons many seasons ago. That said, I voted for Santonio, for pretty much all the reasons SteelCityKing and others have stated - the importance/consequences of the play, right place/right time vs planning and skill, etc. I have not seen Montana's long SB winning drive lately but I don't recall it being much more impressive than Ben's and it gets cited as astounding and classic and reputation-making quite a bit, plus I believe Santonio's catch was more impressive than Dwight Clark's (though I could be mistaken there - I don't really know the subtleties about such things).

I have spent more time than is probably healthy debating with myself which was the more important play in SB XLIII, Santonio's catch or Harrison's interception and TD run. I can make good arguments for both sides, but I usually come down for Harrison's TD return. I was watching the game on DVR on about a 5 minute delay and decided to skip forward to see if we would be tied or losing at halftime. I will never, ever forget my surprise and delight and utter bewilderment upon seeing 92 running down the sidelines with the ball (and it was far from an easy run). My mind just couldn't process it for the longest time. It was just so wonderful and unexpected. I never would have dreamed up that scenario in 100 years and I would bet good money Harrison was responsible for a 14 point swing. In my mind, strong arguments could be made for all three - Santonio, Ben and Harrison - for winning the MVP.

I am annoyed that I had just bought a book in December called the 50 Greatest Plays of the Pittsburgh Steelers and by February, the book was already obsolete. Oh well - I guess the 6th SB win was worth "wasting" the $20 or so the book had cost.

revefsreleets
07-19-2009, 09:23 AM
You have to admit, even though it was a great play, the immaculate reception was PURE luck. where as holmes, was just perfect execution....

That is actually the entire POINT of it. Prior to that, the Steelers were like the Bengals of today, only worse because they never even SNIFFED a championship. The Immaculate Reception didn't win a super bowl, but it DID mark a turning point for the franchise. It wasn't just a single play, it actually was an occurence that had an impact on the franchise that lingers today. If the IR doesn't occur, the turning point doesn't happen, and who knows how many (if any at all) Super Bowls Pittsburgh wins. Maybe none. Maybe the team gets sold? Again, who knows?

But the play showed that the breaks COULD fall the Steelers way, and it gave the team hope and confidence that they could play with, and beat, the best teams in the league. I think it was Mean Joe Geeen who stated that the teams of the 70's, before big games, just KNEW they were going to win. They lost games in the regular season, but when the BIG games happened, they'd just look at each other in the locker room and KNOW they were going to win.

I think that STARTED after the Immaculate Reception.

Holmes catch was huge, and it won them the biggest game of the year, but Harris' catch was perhaps the greatest reception in history, because it launched a DYNASTY that won FOUR of the biggest games of the year, and made the Steelers THE team of the 70's.

IMO, it's not even a play...it was a generationally defining moment. There really is no comparison...the Immaculate Reception wasn't JUST a play, it was an event that began an empire, so the question isn't even fair to begin with.

SteelLloyd95
07-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Not even a serious question. Yes the Holmes catch has a more immediate result, but Immaculate Reception is a time where destiny meets opportunity and there can be no greater play. It createdc what became the Steelers.

Preacher
07-20-2009, 12:02 AM
I am annoyed that I had just bought a book in December called the 50 Greatest Plays of the Pittsburgh Steelers and by February, the book was already obsolete.

That, is an absolutely HILARIOUS, absolutely TRUE post. :rofl:

BlastFurnace
07-20-2009, 08:29 AM
I feel sorry for all those that purchased the "5 Time Super Bowl Champion" gear 4 years ago such as Leather jackets that cost a lot of money.

SteelCityKing
07-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Not even a serious question. Yes the Holmes catch has a more immediate result, but Immaculate Reception is a time where destiny meets opportunity and there can be no greater play. It createdc what became the Steelers.

that's about as serious as a question can get. good job being a total asshole on your first post. thanks.

The Immaculate Reception was an amazing play, but what did it create? a fluke play to win ONE game to go on and lose the next.

Holmes' Super Bowl catch was a catch for the ages and won a 6th title. period.

revefsreleets
07-20-2009, 11:41 AM
that's about as serious as a question can get. good job being a total asshole on your first post. thanks.

The Immaculate Reception was an amazing play, but what did it create? a fluke play to win ONE game to go on and lose the next.

Why is he being an asshole? I thought it was a fine post, and I agree 100% with him. In my estimation it's like comparing the creation of the wheel (IR) with the invention of the cart (Holmes catch). Both are monumental, but the creation of the wheel was the original catalyst that changed humanity forever...

Holmes catch was a play that won a single Super Bowl, Harris' play was a miracle moment that defined a decades worth of football and created the framework for perhaps the finest sports franchise in History, and probably can be indirectly linked to SIX Super Bowl victories...

HometownGal
07-20-2009, 11:58 AM

Please knock it the hell off with the newbie hazing and name-calling just because the guy didn't agree with your opinion. :mallet:

4xSBChamps
07-21-2009, 04:38 PM
TIR was stellar and it showed great athleticism (sp) but all it did was win a game with their backs to the wall.

I'm guessin' you weren't around for that game, were ya?
:noidea:

Possibly more than any single game in (American) sports history, that single play gave the Stillers an identity, and confidence that they could win ANY game, against ANY opponent (they came within a whisker of beating the 17-0 Dolphs the next week, closer than any-other team that season), and set the table for their incredible run from '72 thru/including '79:
after that play & game, the Stillers believed themselves to be a team of destiny, and through their hard-work, they became the NFL's last & best 'true' dynasty, turning them from 'lovable-losers' into, as Sports Illustrated said in 1989, "the team that forced the NFL to change the game", or words to that-effect.

While Holmes' catch clinched a SB victory, it can be argued that Swann's juggling reception while falling-down over Mark Washington in SB X was a better catch (on 3rd & long from deep in Stiller territory, the 53-yard bomb gave 'em Stillers field position, and helped turn the tide in that game)

SteelCityKing
07-22-2009, 06:37 PM
i'm almost feeling like The Immaculate Reception and the Holmes Catch are bookends for the birth and the life of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

one marks the beginning, the other marks not the end. but the continuation of greatness.

this vote is pretty close. closer than i thought. and i've talked with many people about this, and they are all saying the same things we are all saying. so, i guess you can't really pick which one is better. but you can say which one will always be remembered as "The Greatest Play in NFL History" and which one would be considered "One of the Many Great Plays in Steelers History."

i do like this debate though. i hope it keeps going. =)

SteelCityKing
09-17-2010, 02:14 AM
i still have this debate with people. just reposting and bumping to see if it'll rekindle some off topic banter. =)

Goat27
09-17-2010, 03:04 AM
although James harrison int for a td was a great play for our SB, and it's history, if you look at only great plays in our history Immaculate Reception is top. but looking at SB history and plays, Swann sideline tip toe would be better compared to Tone's catch, imo. It's tough to compare Franco against Tone, but just for the debate, imma go with Tone's SB winning catch.

SteelKnight
09-17-2010, 03:33 PM

the Holmes catch got us a Super Bowl and there's no debate around it. it wasn't a fluke, it was sheer atheleticism, and it got us a title. i lean towards the Holmes catch. i hope i'm not the only one really. haha!

I agree with everything you said and that was my reasoning for voting for Holmes. I don't mind that it was fluky though...Harris still had to pay attention, have a lot of heart and make the play. Had we won the Superbowl that year, I would have voted for the immaculate reception.

As awesome as the Holmes play was, it could have been better. The whole drive itself was amazing. What could have made the catch better was different circumstances. I can think of 3 things to make it better:
-If we were down by 4 instead of 3 where we needed the TD and couldn't just settle for a FG (already in range), it would have added more intensity to the play. The way it stands, had he missed it, we could have kicked a FG and probably would have gone into overtime.
-If it was fourth down or at least 3rd down instead of 2nd down. It would never have been fourth down unless we were down by 4.
-If there was slightly less time on the clock.

So yes, the Holmes play was amazing but I believe it could be passed someday.