PDA

View Full Version : Faneca has no hard feelings toward Steelers

mesaSteeler
07-14-2009, 07:25 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/viewfromthepressbox/

View from the PressBox
Scott Brown

Faneca has no hard feelings toward Steelers

Posted July 14, 2009 1 :51 PM

After a recent phone conversation with Alan Faneca, I came away thinking the following: When the time comes for the perennial Pro Bowl guard to enter the Pro Football Hall of Fame he will do so as a Steeler.

"I don't have a bad taste (toward) the Steelers organization," Faneca said.

He certainly had a bad one in the spring of 2007 when Faneca blasted the Steelers for not offering what he considered a fair contract extension. Faneca, of course, played out the final year of his contract. He then got the kind of deal from the New York Jets (five years for as much as $40 million) that the Steelers were never going to offer.

When asked if the Steelers treated him fairly when he looks back now, Faneca said, "What's fair? I wound up in another city."

That, however, is as close as he comes to criticizing the organization for not ponying up for the contract that Faneca coveted and felt he had been promised in no certain terms.

The problem, as I always saw it, is that both sides were right.

Faneca had clearly established himself as one of the premier guards in the game, and he never embarrassed the Steelers on or off the field. If there was ever a veteran for the Steelers to gamble on and sign to a lucrative long-term deal it was Faneca, who has made eight consecutive Pro Bowls and is the consummate professional.

Then again, the market for guards since the Steelers had made Faneca one of the highest-paid players at his position in 2002 had gone berserk. Should the Steelers have overpaid for the position of guard, even for a player of Faneca's caliber, just because a handful of teams had done so in advance of them? Making sound if sometimes difficult business decisions are one reason why the Steelers are widely viewed as a model franchise.

In the end, Faneca, 32, got the deal he wanted and the Steelers won a Super Bowl without him, so it's hard not to say things worked out for both sides.

Still, Faneca wouldn't have been human had he not had some mixed feelings as he watched his former teammates make a run to the Super Bowl without him.

"It is a little hard when you feel like you're a part of building something," Faneca said about leaving the Steelers following 10 seasons with the team, "and that's the only regret I had. You see something you're a part of and helped build and then for whatever reason you're not there when (winning the Super Bowl) happens but I was excited for those guys."

Steel Head
07-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Im sick of the Steelers fans that badmouth Faneca.

Jets gave him a boatload of money, you would have to be an idiot to turn it down

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah, he just handled his final season in a bad way. If he just kept quiet and played out the year he wouldnt be villified as much.

He got his ring with the Steelers, he got paid by the Jets. Good for Alan and Julie Faneca.

NJarhead
07-14-2009, 07:32 PM

Jets gave him a boatload of money, you would have to be an idiot to turn it down

He didn't have much of a choice. He deserved to be paid more than we could afford to pay him. No ones fault, just the way it was.

KeiselPower99
07-14-2009, 07:41 PM
The Steelers offered him a similiar deal and he choose the Jets over us. I loved him as a player and a human. I think being a Jet and seeing that they are uncertain at alot of postions with a new coach and qb he realizes he made his own bed and has to sleep in it.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-14-2009, 08:07 PM
While I don't have any animosity towards Faneca, he knew the Steelers situation.

He had the option of taking the "hometown discount" and staying with the established Pittsburgh Steelers...or sign a contract that is super large with a team that is less established.

He chose the second option, and that was 100% his choice. We did just fine without him while he is on his second head coach with the Jets in two seasons....the same number of coaches he had with Steelers.

fansince'76
07-14-2009, 08:13 PM

I didn't have a problem with him going elsewhere for more money. I did have a big problem with him acting like the Rooneys treated him like some kind of an indentured servant and didn't make him the highest paid guard in the league with his previous contract in 2002 (which they did) and pitching a huge bitch to the media about it. Eff him. He got his big payday, we got another ring without him. I don't give a rat's ass whether he harbors any hard feelings or not, personally.

Psyychoward86
07-14-2009, 08:15 PM

Not really, he chose money over legacy.

HometownGal
07-14-2009, 08:32 PM
I didn't have a problem with him going elsewhere for more money. I did have a big problem with him acting like the Rooneys treated him like some kind of an indentured servant and didn't make him the highest paid guard in the league with his previous contract in 2002 (which they did) and pitching a huge bitch to the media about it. Eff him. He got his big payday, we got another ring without him. I don't give a rat's ass whether he harbors any hard feelings or not, personally.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

I will always respect Faneca because up until his final season with the Steelers, he gave it his all each and every game. That being said, however, I didn't like his infantile attitude and his lack of effort during his last season with the team.

Hey - if he and his family are happy in New York, more power to him, though that boatload of cash will spend a lot faster there than in the Burgh. :chuckle:

Burghfan58
07-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Once again the Steeler braintrust knew when to let a player walk. When he was wearing the Black and Gold I was rooting for him as a Steeler. When he left I was rooting for Kemo.

PisnNapalm
07-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Faneca is a classic example of the Steelers letting a player go early rather than a couple seasons too late. As far as I can tell the only exception to that rule has been Jerome Bettis, but he did take pay cuts in order to stay on the roster as well as losing his starter position.

SteelersMongol
07-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Faneca is a classic example of the Steelers letting a player go early rather than a couple seasons too late. As far as I can tell the only exception to that rule has been Jerome Bettis, but he did take pay cuts in order to stay on the roster as well as losing his starter position.

That's one of the reasons why The Bus will always be the most favorite Steelers players of mine.

Steelers Since '75
07-14-2009, 10:49 PM
As a Steelers fan one has to realize that this organization was built with the understanding that no one player will hold the team hostage nor will we turn our back on any player who desires to play for us. If you, as a player, desire the history and legacy, the team attitude, the sacrifice of self-worth for the spirit of a winning attitude... then the Steelers Nation will forever embrace you! Otherwise... go suck an egg :sofunny:

devilsdancefloor
07-15-2009, 12:07 AM
i think he is starting to realize what he had in the burgh. as they say you dont know what you go until it is gone. he acted as though the FO mistreated him and he ran right ot the media. That is my only problem with him. I hope the extra dough helps him sleep at night. Because the steelers machine kept on turning after he left and i think that probably eats at him from time to time.

Men of Steel
07-15-2009, 01:18 AM
what is more important to a player... a huuuge contract because he feels he deserves it.... or a super bowl ring....

hmmmm......

lets ask kemoeatu, colon, hartwig, stapleton, and starks... ( ok maybe not starks )
:chuckle:

Galax Steeler
07-15-2009, 04:36 AM
what is more important to a player... a huuuge contract because he feels he deserves it.... or a super bowl ring....

hmmmm......

lets ask kemoeatu, colon, hartwig, stapleton, and starks... ( ok maybe not starks )
:chuckle:

We might want to leave Starks out of that quote.:toofunny:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-15-2009, 09:20 AM

He would be a Millionaire either way.. The only thing he missed out on was a Superbowl XLLL Ring.....

scsteeler
07-15-2009, 11:22 AM
If I remember correctly Faneca's biggest beef outside of the contract was that he wanted Russ Grimm as the head coach and not Tomlin. Faneca did not like the new O-line coaches zone blocking scheme and I think that along with the fact that he wanted a better contract made way for him to leave for the Jets.

That being said Alan was a great player for the Steelers and should be a HOF as a Steeler. I think at the time everything was just two sides not being on the same page and frustration from Faneca no getting Grimm as head coach and the contract negotiations not going the way he wanted it to.

revefsreleets
07-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Skills were diminishing, and he wanted to be paid for what he had DONE and not what he was still capable of DOING.

We made that mistake once with Chad Scott...never again.

He can still play, but his game is no longer "A" (and it will erode each year). This deal would have been okay last year, but by next year it would have been a waste of money.

He was also WAY too vocal about his problems with the coach and FO.

CanadianSteel
07-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Skills were diminishing, and he wanted to be paid for what he had DONE and not what he was still capable of DOING.

He can still play, but his game is no longer "A" (and it will erode each year). This deal would have been okay last year, but by next year it would have been a waste of money.

Was thinking the exact same thing, but using the Jason Gildon as point of contract mistake. seem like the Steelers have gotten wise as to when to offer big money to players and when to hold off and replace with youth.

steelreserve
07-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Ahh well. It worked out better for us anyway. If we'd given him the money he wanted, you could say goodbye to Miller or Harrison or Clark. I don't care how good of a blocker he is; that would be a bonehead tradeoff. If I remember right, we did offer him a substantial amount of money, like $6-$7 million a year, and he said no thank you.

At least he actually was good enough on his word to play out the contract he signed instead of holding out or forcing a trade. You can't single him out for half-assing it in his final season here either, because let's face it, most of the team looked like they were coasting that year.

pancake
07-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I do understand why the two sides parted ways, but I do miss the big guy... :wave:

Edman
07-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I have no hard feeling towards Faneca either. I just wish he would've handled the contract situation a little better. He didn't like Tomlin, he wanted Grimm to get the job, and he acted like the Rooneys shafted him despite being made the highest-paid guard in the league back in 2002. He was paid handsomely despite diminishing skills.

Dino 6 Rings
07-16-2009, 10:38 AM
And now, he's on the Jets and realizes, he has no hope of ever getting back to the Super Bowl.

Not as long as Namath is Alive anyway, because that Organization is Cursed I Say. Cursed by the Devil for the Deal Namath made back in 1969.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! You'll Never WIN!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

HometownGal
07-16-2009, 02:47 PM

Good post, revs, and spot on. :thumbsup::hatsoff:

Psyychoward86
07-16-2009, 11:20 PM
I think rolling around in his bed full of money helps Faneca ease the pain of losing.

revefsreleets
07-17-2009, 01:36 PM
And the Jets seem to be the place that soon-to-be-washed-up Steelers go to "get paid". I have no problem with that as long as they are respectful to the Steelers before, during and after the process. Faneca was only 1 out of 3.