PDA

View Full Version : Top Senior Offensive Guards and Centers for 2010

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Here are Gil Brandt's top senior interior O linemen for 2010.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8112f2a3&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

tony hipchest
07-15-2009, 12:08 AM
lol. i love the "comments section" with 16 year old fanboys calling brandt a "know nothing" who shouldnt get paid for analysis. :shake01:

even the best of the best analysts gladly admit that he has forgotten more football than they will ever know.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-15-2009, 12:15 AM
lol. i love the "comments section" with 16 year old fanboys calling brandt a "know nothing" who shouldnt get paid for analysis. :shake01:

even the best of the best analysts gladly admit that he has forgotten more football than they will ever know.

Yeah, pretty typical of fantasy football kids hacking Gil Brandt, because they are too lazy to even wiki and find out that he pretty much knows a thing or 2 about football. That being said, he did think Alex Boone would have been a 1st round pick in 2008......but maybe Gil didnt know he was a "sauce monster".

I started pimpin Matt Tennant a few months back and maybe he will be our 2nd round center prospect if we cant find one in Shipley or Legursky.

tony hipchest
07-15-2009, 12:58 AM
:chuckle:

i would have to check, but i believe brandt dropped him from his top 100 before the draft.

SteelMember
07-15-2009, 07:17 AM
I realize these are all seniors, and while there are a few underclassmen at either of these positions I would gladly put on a wish list, I think there is a real benefit for linemen to stay in college. Sure , there will always be that freak of nature that is willing to make the jump to the NFL, but even if there is, the Steelers never find themselves in the position to make tose picks. Just look at that center list. Almost every one of those guys is a fifth year senior. It's funny when you read how smart these guys are. Because to me, if your in college for that long, your bound to learn something. :chuckle:

Zane Beadles and Mike Johnson are two guys I'll watch at guard, and Chris Hall looks like a great center. Gil has McNeil lower than some, but it's still way early.

Texasteel
07-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Zane Beadles and Mike Johnson are two guys I'll watch at guard, and Chris Hall looks like a great center. Gil has McNeil lower than some, but it's still way early.

An interesting point about Hall is the fact that he has started at every line position at one point or another while at Texas.

SteelMember
07-16-2009, 07:56 AM
An interesting point about Hall is the fact that he has started at every line position at one point or another while at Texas.

That "flexibility" kinda reminds me of some conversations I had last year with Gonzo about Unger. I believe we came to the conclusion that, while flexibility is a good thing is some cases, you shouldn't hang your hat on that alone. Specializing at one or two spots, especially if it's on the left side, could mean your too good for them to move you. :noidea: Sometimes a coach moves a guy for need, but sometimes if a guy is really good, he'll try him in alot of spots. BTW, I'm not necessarily speaking for you (Gonzo). :wink02:

This is what jumped out at me...
he is well coached by Mac McWhoeter. If you meet him, you won't forget him.

If it's between a Center and a Nose, and a guy like Cody and/or Robinson is there...I take the Nose. I think they're harder to come by.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah, Unger was flexible, but probably didnt fit what the Steelers needed in strength and size. I think if we read the post draft reports, they liked either Mack or Wood at #32, but didnt think Unger or Levitre was worthy of that high a grade.

If Hall and Tennant have solid senior seasons, plus O'Dowd comes out too....there should be a solid center hanging around at the end of the 2nd or mid 3rd round.

I think John Jerry (brother of Peria Jerry) comes out this year too. Kid is a monster at guard.

mulldog24
07-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Your spot-on about John Jerry gonzo the guy is about 350 lbs! What a beast!!!!
If we don't hang on to Hampton though I would like to have a big nose tackle.