PDA

View Full Version : Suggs signs $63M deal

Fire Haley
07-15-2009, 11:02 AM
6 years, $63 million

Suggs will receive signing-bonus and option-bonus money that will total $33.1 million in 2009 and 2010, according to a source.

That is believed to be second only to Peyton Manning, who received a $34 million signing bonus.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4328590

--------------------------

Holy crap!

Peyton Manning money for HIM??? Overpay much?

STEELtownHAVOX
07-15-2009, 11:14 AM
he's my least disliked LB on the ravens (including Scott who is now a Jet)

St33lersguy
07-15-2009, 11:14 AM
The money he's getting is $63 mil more than what he's worth. Guess this means atleast 6 more years of his cheap antics

revefsreleets
07-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Wow. 68 tackles, 2 FF's, and 8 sacks pays THIS much money?

We better cut Timmons toots sweet!

Fire Haley
07-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Suggs is a good player, but he's not Jared Allen, he's not Albert Haynesworth.

Let them overpay - Flacco still has no WR's.

devilsdancefloor
07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Suggs is a good player, but he's not Jared Allen, he's not Albert Haynesworth.

Let them overpay - Flacco still has no WR's.

:iagree:

steelreserve
07-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Well, this makes the Ravens a lock for Salary Cap Hell now. Have fun with your long, drawn-out rebuilding process in a couple years.

Heck, with a key injury or two, they might even make it to 4-12 THIS year.

revefsreleets
07-15-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm holding at 7-9. Their defense (although it won't be as good as it's been, it will still be very good) will keep them in almost every game, and they have 3/4ths of the formula right (i.e. Play great D, run the ball and play special teams). They just won't be able to throw the ball for shit this year, which means their offense will be completely one-dimensional and make it virtually impossible to beat any team they play with a really excellent defense themselves.

Steel Head
07-15-2009, 12:36 PM
40 million in the 1st 2 years of the contract?

insane

SteelCityKing
07-15-2009, 02:57 PM
with or without Suggs, the Ravens won't be half as deadly as they could've been and weren't last year. Rex Ryan...gone. Bart Scott...gone. Derrick Mason...gone. some key weapons aren't intact this season and with the impending sophomore slump for Joseph Flacco, who knows what's up their sleeves. but wasting money on Suggs wasn't really in the teams best interest if they want to be contenders. using that money on say...Marvin Harrison would've been a good move.

St33lersguy
07-15-2009, 03:24 PM

It was probably done because of the undeserved pro bowl appearance over wood's 11 sack season

St33lersguy
07-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Don't forget the pro bowl appearance.

steelreserve
07-15-2009, 03:34 PM
with or without Suggs, the Ravens won't be half as deadly as they could've been and weren't last year. Rex Ryan...gone. Bart Scott...gone. Derrick Mason...gone. some key weapons aren't intact this season and with the impending sophomore slump for Joseph Flacco, who knows what's up their sleeves. but wasting money on Suggs wasn't really in the teams best interest if they want to be contenders. using that money on say...Marvin Harrison would've been a good move.

Hey, look at it this way. It could've been worse. They could've given a 6-year, $63 million deal to Matt Cassel and been the laughingstock of the league.

Wait, somebody actually DID do that? :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-16-2009, 12:26 AM
40 million in the 1st 2 years of the contract?

insane

:jawdrop:

MasterOfPuppets
07-16-2009, 01:18 AM
how in the hell can they take a 20 mill cap hit on one player ???

fansince'76
07-16-2009, 01:21 AM

No WRs to speak of. :chuckle:

Steel Head
07-16-2009, 01:30 AM
this makes Harrison's contract look like a huge bargain

Harrison is clearly better than Suggs in ALL aspects of the game

Ravnet
07-16-2009, 02:43 AM
this makes Harrison's contract look like a huge bargain

Harrison is clearly better than Suggs in ALL aspects of the game

James Harrison is 31; Terrell Suggs is 26.

MasterOfPuppets
07-16-2009, 02:51 AM

does that somehow lessen the blow to the salary cap ? can he play receiver too ? :laughing:

Galax Steeler
07-16-2009, 04:02 AM
does that somehow lessen the blow to the salary cap ? can he play receiver too ? :laughing:

They might try the wildcat formation with Flaco being the receiver.:rofl:

RoethlisBURGHer
07-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Wow, Suggs is a good player...but he isn't that good.

This sure makes me happy that we resigned Harrison before this got done.

However this makes it more troublesome to resign Timmons or Woodley when it comes time to redo their contracts.

Effen Ratbirds.

Ravnet
07-16-2009, 09:04 AM

I like how you just make wild assumptions as to what I meant and then mock me after I literally added none of my own commentary after the basic fact.

My point was that Suggs gets a much bigger deal because he'll be in the league for quite some time after Harrison, and Terrell has yet to approach his prime.

The deal was probably a bit overdone if you ask me, but it was either go big or lose Suggs completely, and I trust Ozzie damn Newsome more than anyone on the internet.

Steel Head
07-16-2009, 09:09 AM

Harrison is the best defensive player in the league

Suggs is an overrated trash-talking scumbag

Steel Head
07-16-2009, 09:11 AM

you misunderstood. Suggs is getting 40 million in the first 2 years and like 30 million of that is in bonuses.

cap hits for bonuses are spread out over the contract. Suggs will have around a 10 million dollar cap hit most years

Steel Head
07-16-2009, 09:14 AM
and I trust Ozzie damn Newsome more than anyone on the internet.

yeah, i mean he went out of his way to make sure they would be set at receiver after Mason's departure :laughing:

Dino 6 Rings
07-16-2009, 09:45 AM
So now that he's paid, lets see if he actually plays or turns into one of those guys that starts to take time off during games.

I wonder which he'll be...

Dino 6 Rings
07-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Suggs will get lots of playing time this year...with all the 3 and outs the Ravens will be getting with no offense.

revefsreleets
07-16-2009, 10:12 AM
If Suggs is still peaking, the Rats SHOULD have offered him an incentive laden contract without all the guarantees.

It was just a stupid, stupid deal, and NOT the "Steeler Way", which is why we have 6, and the Browns/Rats have just one.

vasteeler
07-16-2009, 10:52 AM
If Suggs is still peaking, the Rats SHOULD have offered him an incentive laden contract without all the guarantees.

It was just a stupid, stupid deal, and NOT the "Steeler Way", which is why we have 6, and the Browns/Rats have just one.

but............what about all those championships a hundred years ago dont they count

revefsreleets
07-16-2009, 11:30 AM
[/b]

but............what about all those championships a hundred years ago dont they count

You mean back in the Eisenhower-Johnson administrations? When there were only 12 teams in the league, and if you won your division you played for the championship? "Yeah (patting the gay Brownie pixie on the head), those little 'championships' count too..."

steelreserve
07-16-2009, 12:25 PM
[/B]

If I would've had a reasonable shot at making an NFL roster myself, any championships you won during that era don't really mean anything. It seems like prior to about 1960, all you had to do to make the team was have a regular garbage route. Most teams were about as organized and disciplined as a group of alcoholics on St. Patrick's Day. Sorry, Packers and Browns, I'm not terribly impressed that you were able to beat that kind of competition.

Ravnet
07-17-2009, 12:14 PM

Do you actually think that you could do better in contract negotiations than one of the best general managers in the league?

And yeah, it is quite embarrassing for the Ravens to have one measly championship in their first four years of existence with six playoff appearances in the last nine seasons.

TheWarDen86
07-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Do you actually think that you could do better in contract negotiations than one of the best general managers in the league?

And yeah, it is quite embarrassing for the Ravens to have one measly championship in their first four years of existence with six playoff appearances in the last nine seasons.

Re-read lil' cherub. He said "Browns/Rats." That team already existed, they just moved to a different city.

revefsreleets
07-17-2009, 12:27 PM

I don't, no. But that's not what I do.

But the Steelers would have never signed this ridiculous contract. How do I know? Because they have no one on their team signed to such a ridiculous contract! And they are in every way the superior franchise to the Ratbirds, including having better talent at just about every position on the field.

Suggs is a good player. Would he start for the Steelers? Hmmmmm...hard to say, really...

TheWarDen86
07-17-2009, 12:36 PM
If I were Suggs, I would have been satisfied with $20 million and dental plan so I could fix my snaggle tooth. But hey, that's just me. :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2009, 01:02 PM

. have ya checked the roster lately ?

Clayton, Mark................5th year
Figurs, Yamon...............3rd yr
Harper, Justin................2nd
Mason, Derrick..............oops
Riley, Eron.....................0
Smith, Marcus...............2nd
Washington, Kelley......7th
Wheelwright, Ernie.......1
Williams, Demetrius . .4th
Williams, Edward..........1
Williams, Isaiah............0

nuff said ...... :laughing:

revefsreleets
07-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Good point...our 5th option at WR is better than their first.

TheWarDen86
07-17-2009, 01:10 PM
have ya checked the roster lately ?

"oops" :rofl:

xfl2001fan
07-17-2009, 01:12 PM

You lost all credibility in your arguments with that post. You had an organization already built from the ground up, well established, etc..

The Ravens were never an expansion team...they are a stolen franchise.

TheWarDen86
07-17-2009, 01:16 PM
You lost all credibility in your arguments with that post. You had an organization already built from the ground up, well established, etc..

+1 :applaudit:

Ravnet
07-17-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't, no. But that's not what I do.

But the Steelers would have never signed this ridiculous contract. How do I know? Because they have no one on their team signed to such a ridiculous contract! And they are in every way the superior franchise to the Ratbirds, including having better talent at just about every position on the field.

Suggs is a good player. Would he start for the Steelers? Hmmmmm...hard to say, really...

I´ll happily agree that Pittsburgh is the better franchise and that the Steelers have more talent at nearly every position, but in my opinion, the gap isn´t very wide.

Ravnet
07-17-2009, 02:01 PM

You lost all credibility by putting “the Browns” and “well established” in the same sentence.

The Ravens are only a stolen franchise because the Colts were stolen from us.

Ravnet
07-17-2009, 02:03 PM
have ya checked the roster lately ?

Yes, excellent point; because the Ravens are weak at literally one position, Ozzie Newsome is clearly a failed GM.

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2009, 02:15 PM
I´ll happily agree that Pittsburgh is the better franchise and that the Steelers have more talent at nearly every position, but in my opinion, the gap isn´t very wide. here's how wide the gap is..... steelers 3 ravens 0

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Yes, excellent point; because the Ravens are weak at literally one position, Ozzie Newsome is clearly a failed GM.
well when your ONLY good receiver is 35, and you don't even bother to spend a draft pick on one, well ...........:chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2009, 02:20 PM
You lost all credibility by putting “the Browns” and “well established” in the same sentence.

so i guess going from shit brown to gay purple, made them established ? :noidea:

Ravnet
07-17-2009, 02:21 PM
well when your ONLY good receiver is 35, and you don't even bother to spend a draft pick on one, well ...........:chuckle:

Willie Anderson was done, and we needed a right tackle to fill that position. At the time of the draft, there were no indications that Mason was going to retire.

xfl2001fan
07-17-2009, 02:25 PM

And you continue to show your ignorance as you fail to recognize the organization that you stole was a well established organization. They had an ownership (however terrible he was with finances) that had been in place for a while as well as a complete team that had played together for years (or at least every bit as much as any other organization in the NFL team.)

I could care less about your whiney-assed Colts leaving you. Attendance (or the lack thereof) was a huge reason for leaving. The stadium was an issue...but so was ours...and yet we sold out game after game (and if we didn't sell out, it was still close.)

You are talking about two completely different scenarios.

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Willie Anderson was done, and we needed a right tackle to fill that position. At the time of the draft, there were no indications that Mason was going to retire.
so how about last year...the year before ? mason didn't turn 35 over night. not to mention they haven't had a legit # 2,3 since ??? its not like you have a dependable TE for a young qb to fall back on.

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2009, 02:39 PM
I could care less about your whiney-assed Colts leaving you. Attendance (or the lack thereof) was a huge reason for leaving. The stadium was an issue...but so was ours...and yet we sold out game after game (and if we didn't sell out, it was still close.)

You are talking about two completely different scenarios.

The Colts were unhappy with the condition of the stadium they played in and Indianapolis offered them a new indoor dome.

Robert Irsay, the Colts owner, had many problems with Baltimore and the stadium, Memorial stadium.

1. Due to being far from the downtown area and any major highway, traffic to and from Colt games was very heavy and tied up traffic and trapped locals in their homes. It was also hard to find being about seven miles fron the downtown area on 33rd street. Many fans got lost getting to or coming from the stadium.

2. The stadium was a very poor football stadium and the seating bowl ended at the fifty yard line, the end zone near 36th street was open taking away money making seats. It also no club level. It was far behind its time.

3. The city of Baltimore would not allow the Colts to play at the NFL's usual start time at one. Instead, they started at two which by law. Sports events were not allow to start before two on Sundays. Because of this the Colts had a hard time being on national T.V.

4. The Orioles, the city's baseball team, also used the stadium and had control over food sales, and parking fees even during football season despite the fact that both teams payed a rent fee.

]5. The team was playing poorly and attentence went to about 20,000 in a stadium that could hold 60,000.

6. The city wanted to upgrade the stadium but both teams had different demands and the city could not make both happy so it did not upgrade the stadium.

In the spring of 1984 the Colts lease on the stadium was up and Irsay wanted a new stadium or to move. Instead of working out plans with Irsay, Maryland's senate passed a law that allowed the state to take the team from him by the powers of eminemt domain. All that was needed was the law to pass by the House of Delegates. That was enough for Irsay to decide what to do. He moved his team Indianapols and its Hoosier Dome. Baltimore did however learn from its mistakes. When the Orioles said they had a lot of the same problems with the stadium (location and condition for example,) and threatened to move to Washington D.C., Baltimore built Oriole Park at Camden Yards . Just six years later they would build M&T Bank Stadium for a new NFL team, the Ravens.
here's a few facts i wasn't aware of... after reading this, i can't hardly blame irsay !!!

revefsreleets
07-17-2009, 02:40 PM
The Browns weren't established? They'd been playing football since 1946...50 years isn't established?

And, yes, NOT having any quality players as starters, as well as zero depth, at a position as important as WR is a pretty big matzo ball hanging out there...

Really, Ratfan, this was a stupid thing to try and defend in the first place. Give it up, runaway, and live to fight another day...

Ravnet
07-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Give it up, runaway, and live to fight another day...

Good idea, I´m sick of arguing about nothing in particular anyway.

revefsreleets
07-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Nothing?

I'd hardly call a murderer with a huge public forum calling a serial cheater "Jesus-like" nothing. I actually find it more disturbing that anyone would actually try and defend such actions...not only should Ravens fans not be defending Killer ray, they should be the ones leading the call to censure this jackass. Hasn't he done enough to embarrass you and your franchise over the years already?

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2009, 03:00 PM
nothing = ravens receiving corp ......:laughing:

Big D
07-17-2009, 03:03 PM
It will be interesting to see how suggs does without rexy ryan. Very possible he was just a product of the system

AllD
07-17-2009, 09:12 PM
He deserved to be paid, but not overpaid.

Ravnet
07-17-2009, 10:00 PM
It will be interesting to see how suggs does without rexy ryan. Very possible he was just a product of the system

Here we agree; Rex Ryan was a product of the system. :thumbsup:

Fire Haley
07-17-2009, 10:11 PM
I think him moving weakened both the Jets and the Ravens.

go figure