PDA

View Full Version : Ah, Our Democratic Elected Officials Hard at Work...

revefsreleets
07-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Addressing the really "tough" issues...

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commentary/50824797.html

Masters of the trivial fill halls of Capitol By Steve Chapman
Chicago Tribune

Published on Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009

CHICAGO: The Clinton administration was famous for obsessing about tiny, innocuous issues, like promoting school uniforms and opposing TV violence. But the era of trivial government came to an end on Sept. 11, 2001, when Americans got a reminder that their government has some truly vital duties and that it might be worthwhile to concentrate on them.

As far as I know, al-Qaida has yet to surrender, and a few other formidable problems have presented themselves since then. But having failed to solve the big, critical problems, our leaders are once again inclined to focus on inconsequential ones that happen to be none of their business.

Rep. Dan Lipinski, D-Ill., for example, thinks it should be a violation of federal law to board an airliner with a bag that exceeds 22 inches by 18 inches by 10 inches. He wants his rule enforced by the same Transportation Security Administration agents who are supposed to protect us from the next Mohammad Atta.
You might think that if you invest vast amounts of money establishing and operating an airline, at great financial risk, you would be entitled to make your own choices on things like the color of planes and the rules for carry-ons. But one member of Congress wants to make sure he never has trouble squeezing his luggage into an overhead bin because someone else has taken up too much space.

That's not all. Lipinski once had to wait 50 minutes for a checked bag. So he thinks carriers should pay fines when they don't get suitcases to passengers immediately.

But why stop there? Why not mandate more legroom and bigger restrooms? Why not demand a free copy of Sports Illustrated or Cosmopolitan for every passenger? Why not require flight attendants to give each of us a teddy bear to clutch in case of turbulence?

Lipinski is not alone in dreaming up uses for the idle hands of Congress. In recent months, both the House and the Senate have taken a pause from addressing the $1.8 trillion budget deficit and preventing Iran from getting nuclear weapons to ponder the atrocity known as the Bowl Championship Series, which uses polls and bowl games to determine the No. 1 college football team in the country.

Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, a Texas A&M University graduate, thinks the BCS is ''deeply flawed.'' But anyone who roots for the A&M football team (as I do) knows it makes the BCS look as perfect as a Mozart concerto. Why doesn't Barton hold hearings on why the Aggie defense couldn't stop a bathtub drain last year?
Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, finds it incredible that the University of Utah wasn't invited to play for the national title last season despite going undefeated. But you know what? Even though Japan won the World Baseball Classic this year, it won't get to play in the World Series.

If Utah wants to go through a playoff, it is welcome to try to persuade other universities to join with it in repudiating the scandalous status quo. But if the other schools are content with the BCS, why should the desires of the Mountain West Conference trump those of the other conferences? Answer: because some members of Congress think the only preference that should count is theirs.

Then there is the Obama administration's plan to man our borders against the import of pocketknives that can be opened with only one hand. This builds on one of Washington's more ridiculous gestures, the 1958 federal law against switchblades — which drew attention not because they were more dangerous than other knives but because they were immortalized in movies about teenage hoodlums. This knife, declared a Senate committee, is ''almost exclusively the weapon of the thug and the delinquent.''

It was a silly idea at the time, and it doesn't make any more sense in an age where gangs have a penchant for settling disputes with a hail of bullets. But that doesn't stop administration officials from targeting even more knives to address ''health and public safety concerns raised by such importations.''

Are they serious? Do they really think that if you deprive a violent criminal of one sort of pocketknife, it will never occur to him to use a different and equally lethal pointed implement?
Maybe there are criminals out there who are really that stupid. If so, they missed their calling in government, where the mental deficiency would never be noticed.
Chapman is a Chicago Tribune columnist. He blogs daily at newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/steve—chapman.

tony hipchest
07-15-2009, 01:49 PM
:yawn: fixed the title for ya!

Lipinski is not alone in dreaming up uses for the idle hands of Congress.

Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, a Texas A&M University graduate, thinks the BCS is ''deeply flawed.'' But anyone who roots for the A&M football team (as I do) knows it makes the BCS look as perfect as a Mozart concerto. Why doesn't Barton hold hearings on why the Aggie defense couldn't stop a bathtub drain last year?
Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, finds it incredible that the University of Utah wasn't invited to play for the national title last season despite going undefeated. But you know what? Even though Japan won the World Baseball Classic this year, it won't get to play in the World Series.

any republican presidential hopefuls quit their job or go hiking the appalachian trail lately?

revefsreleets
07-15-2009, 01:52 PM
I left that out...I think the BCS SHOULD be looked into.

"Bu-bu-bu-Barton"?

Nah, doens't really work...

KeiselPower99
07-15-2009, 02:36 PM
There should be a 64 team playoff in 1-A. But I dont think its congress job to fix it.

X-Terminator
07-15-2009, 02:51 PM
It's not Congress' job to get involved in ANY of that.

7SteelGal43
07-15-2009, 03:16 PM

any republican presidential hopefuls quit their job or go hiking the appalachian trail lately?

really ? that's all you got ? NEXT.

SteelCityMan786
07-15-2009, 03:37 PM
There should be a 64 team playoff in 1-A. But I dont think its congress job to fix it.

That's far too many teams considering you'd be letting in over 1/2 of the D-1 programs.(D-1 A has 120 programs). 16-32 is good. Keep a few bowls to reward the teams who still had winning seasons.

steelreserve
07-15-2009, 04:14 PM

Sure it is, if they want to. Who cares if it's "only" sports -- if 50 million people are pissed off about something for any reason, it's fair game in my book.

They could take about 15 minutes and fix a problem that the people who are currently in charge of college football have been farting around with for decades. The conferences and college presidents aren't going to do anything about it unless they're forced. So let's go ahead and apply force.

St33lersguy
07-15-2009, 05:49 PM

How about this: Ah our elected democratic officials sure are incompetent

St33lersguy
07-15-2009, 05:59 PM
16-32 is good. Keep a few bowls to reward the teams who still had winning seasons.

That's too much. It will allow 3,4, and even 5 loss teams to play in the playoffs and make the regular season meaningless. The top 8 teams in the playoffs, that way the best of the best play for the playoffs and the regular season becomes more significant

tony hipchest
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
really ? that's all you got ? NEXT.

How about this: Ah our elected democratic officials sure are incompetent

are you guys really suggesting that the majority of republicans in congress are... :heha:

(sorry, i cant even type it w/o laughing) there IS no majority of republicans in congress. them losers were given the boot. are there even any left?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/loser.jpg

sarah palin hard at work? really? thats all you got? NEXT. :toofunny:

7SteelGal43
07-16-2009, 04:57 AM
:nw: <~~~~ Obama voter before the election

:dang: <~~~~ Obama voter now

silver & black
07-16-2009, 06:39 AM

:applaudit:

revefsreleets
07-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Mid-terms are looming. Congressional approval rating has dropped, on average (AP, Ipsos/McClatchy, CBS and NBC) 25% in the last 45 DAYS.

Anyone think that's gonna turnaround?

The Democrats had their chance...time for the GOP to start fixing these giant messes...

St33lersguy
07-16-2009, 02:34 PM
are you guys really suggesting that the majority of republicans in congress are... :heha:

(sorry, i cant even type it w/o laughing) there IS no majority of republicans in congress. them losers were given the boot. are there even any left?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/loser.jpg

sarah palin hard at work? really? thats all you got? NEXT. :toofunny:

Oh yeah I am sure the dems are better, even though they keep taking our money and will eventually bankrupt america. You really think we're better off with Al Franken as a senator?!?

Wake up and stop watching NBC's left wing propaganda hour and stop reading the left wing propaganda papers

The real losers are the thieves in office and yes they are democratic

St33lersguy
07-16-2009, 02:35 PM

You believed his propaganda didn't you! It's okay.

Godfather
07-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Mid-terms are looming. Congressional approval rating has dropped, on average (AP, Ipsos/McClatchy, CBS and NBC) 25% in the last 45 DAYS.

Anyone think that's gonna turnaround?

The Democrats had their chance...time for the GOP to start fixing these giant messes...

Both parties had their chance.

Time to ditch them and put the Libertarians in charge.

revefsreleets
07-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Too bad it ain't ever gonna happen.

The GOP is, sad to say, the closest we have to electable Libertarians.

7SteelGal43
07-16-2009, 04:21 PM
You believed his propaganda didn't you! It's okay.

Actually, no. I voted for Mccain.

Godfather
07-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Too bad it ain't ever gonna happen.

The GOP is, sad to say, the closest we have to electable Libertarians.

That's a depressing thought.

Fire Haley
07-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Giddy-up

Dems Push $700 Million Welfare Program for Horses

“The House is expected to take up legislation today that seeks to protect wild horses and burros under federal care, but Republicans are bashing the bill as a waste of federal resources in the midst of tough economic times for many Americans…”

“Resources Committee ranking member Doc Hastings (R-Wash.) plans to attack the bill's pricetag, criticizing it as a ‘$700 million welfare program for wild horses’ that comes at a time when he thinks the federal government should focus more of its resources on deficit reduction or job creation.”

“‘There are serious issues facing our country right now and it’s absurd that Democratic leaders believe that spending $700 million to pamper wild horses is the best use of our time and Americans’ tax dollars,’ Hastings said in a statement yesterday. ‘Instead of restoring American mustangs, let’s restore American jobs and put the horsepower back into our economy.’”

http://republicanleader.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=137945

X-Terminator
07-17-2009, 11:59 AM
You've GOT to be kidding me? How the HELL do they think that this is a good idea given the times we're in? Like I said yesterday - fix the economy FIRST, THEN worry about this (unnecessary, let's be honest) stuff! Is that so freaking hard?

Fire Haley
07-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Give us more Change! More! More!

"Three House Democratic leaders who were whipping members on the climate change bill gave tens of thousands in campaign cash to party moderates around the time of the 219-212 vote on June 26, according to Federal Election Commission records.

It's impossible to tell if that torrent of cash was an attempt to schmear wavering Democrats -- or just part of the usual cash dump made by leaders on the eve of the June 30 quarterly fundraising deadline. Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-SC) doled out $28,000 to reps who eventually voted yes on June 24, two days before the big vote...

“If this was a concerted effort by the Democratic leadership to purchase votes for Nancy Pelosi’s national energy tax at the eleventh hour, then it is unconscionable at best and corrupt at worst. The sad fact for those Democrats who were seemingly bought and paid for, is that it will take a lot more money than they received to defend such an atrocious vote.”

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0709/Big_Dem_cash_dump_on_eve_of_climate_vote.html?show all

revefsreleets
07-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Gosh...Bu-bu-bu-Bush/Palin!

St33lersguy
07-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Gee wonder what they will try to spend all our money on next, ways to protect rain forests in Brazil? Vending machine for Goldman Sachs? An ipod for an Acorn employee's child?