07-15-2009, 07:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d811508fe/Best-fans

:tt02::tt02::tt02:

Sharkissle29
07-15-2009, 07:55 PM
like he said...its a no brainer

CantStop85
07-15-2009, 08:07 PM
The Patriots at 5? Really? He even said it himself; they only suddenly came out of the woodwork when they won 3 Super Bowls.

fansince'76
07-15-2009, 08:15 PM
These NFL.com "lists" are getting to be ridiculous. Is it preseason yet? :coffee:

silver & black
07-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Wow! Steelers... Raiders... Cowboys... hands down the top 3 fan bases. Whatever... Raiders fans know the truth.

St33lersguy
07-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Wow! Steelers... Raiders... Cowboys... hands down the top 3 fan bases. Whatever... Raiders fans know the truth.

Raiders fans have been silent for a while :scratchchin:

CanadianSteel
07-15-2009, 09:04 PM
If he named any other fan base # 1 this would have easily been the silliest list ever on NFL Network.
Still wish they would get the whole "they travel well" thing right. Steelers have fans live everywhere, thousands of them in most every major city....it aint just people travlin from da Burg to all these games...
Anyhow nice to see us # 1 on a list.... I guess :coffee:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Why no love for the most loyal and most tortured fans in all of pro football in the Cleveland Browns?

Browns fans have Backers everywhere, fought for their team back after art tired to move them and they stick with the team even during the most miserable of times and their Stadium is still sold out consistantly even during the worst of seasons.

I stuck through the cold and the wind off of Lake Erie to see them not even score a single offensive TD against the Houston Texans in Nose Bleed seats in the Pound. I don't think a lot of other fans could ever claim they've stayed loyal to their team to that effect or could be as loyal as diehard Browns fans are.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Listen, I know that other teams fans love to hate the Steelers and the Steeler Nation so they will not concede that the Steeler Nation DOMINATES ANY OTHER FAN BASE!

While in the Marines I lived in (6 months or more) 14 different states and have been to 5 different countries and the Steeler fans far and away outnumber any other fans and sometimes outnumber the local fanbase.

Call my statements biased but it is the truth!

Steeler Nation in all reality holds the #1, #2, and #3 spot then the cowgirls and believe it or not based on my experience the brownies fans are next. It must REALLY SUCK to be a browns fan but they are pretty loyal.

#5 the cheatriots? In the last 8 years I have met maybe 2 patty fans outside of new england , and one of those guys lived in Detroit where it must be unbearable to be a Liondown fan! That is just a plain ass joke!

Steel Head
07-16-2009, 12:19 AM
my top 3

Steelers
Packers
Bears

The Patriot
07-16-2009, 01:47 PM
"Number four on that list, we're gonna stay in New England, it's the New York Giants fans."

Apparently New York is in New England. :doh:

HometownGal
07-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Not a surprise that Steeler Nation reps better than any other NFL team. :tt02: I am rather surprised, however, that the Browns aren't on that list. Their fans have dealt with major sucktitude for eons but have remained dedicated and loyal to their team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-16-2009, 01:58 PM
The Patriots at 5? Really? He even said it himself; they only suddenly came out of the woodwork when they won 3 Super Bowls.

Yeah, I love that "out of the woodwork" comment too. I'd say that 95% of Patriot fans have no idea of who Steve Grogan, Raymond Berry, Andre Tippett, Mosi Tatupu......or even Tony Eason, Irving Fryar or Drew Bledsoe are.

They just started coming out of the woodwork after a SB and in 2-3 years will be right back in the woodwork with the frontrunning 49ers fans of the 90's.

Ravnet
07-16-2009, 11:16 PM
I take issue with New England at five because any professional sports team apart from the Florida Marlins can draw if they win multiple titles in a short period of time.

New York is a bit iffy as well because the sellouts in the Meadowlands aren't too impressive considering that New York could support four NFL teams.

Pittsburgh is the best without a doubt.

tucker6
07-17-2009, 04:01 AM
Yeah, I love that "out of the woodwork" comment too. I'd say that 95% of Patriot fans have no idea of who Steve Grogan, Raymond Berry, Andre Tippett, Mosi Tatupu......or even Tony Eason, Irving Fryar or Drew Bledsoe are.

They just started coming out of the woodwork after a SB and in 2-3 years will be right back in the woodwork with the frontrunning 49ers fans of the 90's.
:thumbsup:

SteelCityKing
07-17-2009, 03:37 PM
i would honestly throw the Raiders on that list for sure. they're huge and i know alteast 20 in western PA.

i don't know a single person who was born a Patriots fan. everyone i know who is a Patriots fan is a bandwagoner.

i know A LOT of Packers, Bears, and Redskins fans too. so, the list is legit as it gets. but nix the Pats, put in the Raider Nation.

but the Steelers being number one...? DUH!

revefsreleets
07-17-2009, 03:56 PM
That's a good point...living in Florida (circa early 90's-late 2001), you saw a lot of everything from real fans who's allegiances traveled with them...Steelers fans ruled the roost (of course), but there were also TONS of NY fans, loads of Browns and Pack and Bears fans, to a lessor extent you'd see representation from Dallas and a bunch of second tier teams, but I NEVER saw Patriots gear ever. Seahawks either...

RoethlisBURGHer
07-17-2009, 04:04 PM
i would honestly throw the Raiders on that list for sure. they're huge and i know alteast 20 in western PA.

i don't know a single person who was born a Patriots fan. everyone i know who is a Patriots fan is a bandwagoner.

i know A LOT of Packers, Bears, and Redskins fans too. so, the list is legit as it gets. but nix the Pats, put in the Raider Nation.

but the Steelers being number one...? DUH!

That's for sure. I know one born Patriots fan, he was born in New England too.

The Pats don't belong on that list though.

I would personally put the Cleveland Browns fans on that list. No Super Bowl appearances. The Browns are best know for The Drive, The Fumble, Red-Right 88, and moving to Baltimore.

But the fans still buy the gear, still sell out their stadium. They have the largest official fan club in any sport, the Cleveland Browns Backers.

Now I am going to to scrub myself with a brillo pad for saying something possible about the Clowns.

HughC
07-17-2009, 05:06 PM
I just looked up online and was surprised to see New England has a sellout streak going back to opening day of 1994. Would have expected it to have started in 2001.

I don't know why merchandise sales were one of the criteria Dukes chose to use. In my opinion as often as not that's the sign of a bandwagon fan, or somebody making a fashion statement (think guys who wear Yankee hats or Raider hats that probably don't follow baseball or football.) How does dropping $100 on a jersey determine whether or not I'm a real fan?

Besides the Browns, I'd consider adding the Redskins to a list of best fanbases. They've sold out every game since 1968 and they too seem to travel well - despite often missing the playoffs in recent years. Not only is that sellout streak the longest in the NFL, it's in a stadium that holds 92,000.

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Why no love for the most loyal and most tortured fans in all of pro football in the Cleveland Browns?

I don't think a lot of other fans could ever claim they've stayed loyal to their team to that effect or could be as loyal as diehard Browns fans are. i'm thinkin detroit fans might argue that....:noidea:

CantStop85
07-17-2009, 05:42 PM
i'm thinkin detroit fans might argue that....:noidea:

I request an honorable mention...just for living through the 90's. :chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
07-17-2009, 07:07 PM
i'm thinkin detroit fans might argue that....:noidea:

At least Detroit didn't get their team swept out from under them and they got to watch Barry Sanders for his entire career.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-17-2009, 07:42 PM
At least Detroit didn't get their team swept out from under them and they got to watch Barry Sanders for his entire career.

Detroit also has the Red wings and Pistons championships to distract them a bit from their misery.

Cleveland can't claim that what-so-ever (OSU winning it all might count, but I'm unsure, as I've seen three different NFL fanbases claim TOSU as their team)

Bengals fans? Yeah they've had it rough, but again at least they have the "Big Red Machine" to again keep them a bit distracted, and at least made it to the Big Dance in 1981, and 1988.

The Snakebit curse that the Browns have suffered as of late has been painful, pretty much about 90% give or take of games I've seen lost by the Browns could have been winnable ball games. Heck, you can take it to the bank that there's usually one blow out game against Pittsburgh and one close one where the Browns look on the verge of being extremely closing to take it but just can't get over the hump.

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Detroit also has the Red wings and Pistons championships to distract them a bit from their misery.

Cleveland can't claim that what-so-ever (OSU winning it all might count, but I'm unsure, as I've seen three different NFL fanbases claim TOSU as their team)

Bengals fans? Yeah they've had it rough, but again at least they have the "Big Red Machine" to again keep them a bit distracted, and at least made it to the Big Dance in 1981, and 1988.

The Snakebit curse that the Browns have suffered as of late has been painful, pretty much about 90% give or take of games I've seen lost by the Browns could have been winnable ball games. Heck, you can take it to the bank that there's usually one blow out game against Pittsburgh and one close one where the Browns look on the verge of being extremely closing to take it but just can't get over the hump.
dude...you said...pro football, not city wide sports

most tortured fans in all of pro football

cleveland all time - 475-376-13

detroit all time.........488-569-32

sure cleland was absent a few years. while you guys got a break from the suckdom, the poor lion fans suffering continued on...
96 ....5-11
97.....9-7 (quick exit from the playoffs)
98.....5-11

the browns easily have twice as many winning seasons as the lions.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-18-2009, 12:40 AM

sure cleland was absent a few years. while you guys got a break from the suckdom, the poor lion fans suffering continued on...
96 ....5-11
98.....5-11

Stats don't lie I guess. Kudos. :thumbsup:

Still, I'm curious if Browns fan would have traded a decade or so of Matt Millen running the team or even those results if it meant the team would have never moved in the first place :(.

Oh and Sundays without football in the fall suck...hard, even if it's without BAD football.

Boomerang
07-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Good to see the Steelers recognised as the top fanbase.:tt02::tt02:

CantStop85
07-18-2009, 04:39 AM

96 ....5-11
98.....5-11

Well, heck...throw the Bengals into the conversation for a not so distant second place...271-353-2.

And for the record, Super Bowl losing seasons are more painful than 2-14 seasons. :banging:

Ishkabibble
07-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I challenge anyone to find a more pointless, unmeasureable, flat-out stupid topic than this one.

Thanks for participating.