PDA

View Full Version : Has the Worm Turned?

revefsreleets
07-16-2009, 12:09 PM
It's not much, but since we are usually inundated with nothing but puff pieces slobbering all over Obama, maybe this puff piece lightly mocking some of his gaffe's signifies some sea-change in the media's handling of "The Chosen One"?

Nah, probably not...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/25022;_ylt=AgR_p9Z1A8v0e._OJ9VkFfISq594;_ylu=X3oDM TI2cW4zb2EzBGFzc2V0Ay9wb2xpdGljby8yNTAyMgRjcG9zAzc EcG9zAzcEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawNvYmFtYWxvc 2luZ2g-

Carol E. Lee Carol E. Lee – 1 hr 29 mins ago
It’s been a tough week for President Obama’s cool factor.
Not only is he weathering criticism of his policies, but the Cool One has also taken a few dings to his immaculate image in recent days.
It started on Monday. Speaking at the White House, Obama was just getting into a sharp defense of his economic agenda when one of the teleprompter (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/politico/pl_politico/storytext/25022/32728194/SIG=11mg7phpt/*http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/24887.html)screens holding his speech crashed to the floor and shattered into pieces.
“Oh, goodness,” said a surprised Obama. “Sorry about that, guys.”
Needing a teleprompter (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/politico/pl_politico/storytext/25022/32728194/SIG=11mh1mhmi/*http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/19663.html) is one thing. But having it crash to the ground mid-speech was, well, a long way from Obama’s on-camera fly-swatting for CNBC. Then, the chief of cool had men everywhere suddenly feeling insecure about their inferior ability to conquer insects.
On Monday, the president's audience snickered, while he didn’t crack a smile, and it took a few moments for him to adjust to reading his remarks without looking to his left, where there was now just an empty pole.
On Tuesday, Obama was put to another test: throwing out his first pitch (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/politico/pl_politico/storytext/25022/32728194/SIG=11maa6a37/*http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/24953.html) as president. He had practiced with Reggie Love. He got advice from Willie Mays. But the pitch was a bit of a lob and while it didn’t hit the ground, it also didn’t clear the plate, like Obama had wanted. It was fine. But not the impressive performance some expected from the athletic president.
Even his hometown paper, the Chicago Tribune, said he was “lacking in style points on his short southpaw lob to home plate.”
Then there were the Dad Jeans – otherwise known as the Levis Obama sported when he threw out the pitch.
“Did Obama’s stylist (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/politico/pl_politico/storytext/25022/32728194/SIG=11mnql4lj/*http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/15153.html) come steal them from the closet of Frank Stransky?” a writer for Entertainment Weekly, Tanner Stransky, wrote in a blog post, apparently referring to his own father.
“I suppose President Obama is indeed a father, so we should allow him such a strike against humanity,” the blog continued. “And I guess he couldn't have come out in skin-tight baseball pants (or, rather, why not?) or the suit pants that he normally dons. But my, oh my. I wasn't ready to see him in such an ill-fitting pair of what look like 501s. I thought he was cooler than that, somehow. This humanizing of the President doesn't sit so well with me.”
And in one more embarrassing incident this week, Obama, a stickler for pronunciation, stumbled over the name of his surgeon general-designate's hometown – and had to ask Dr. Regina Benjamin for help pronouncing “Bayou La Batre.”
“Did I say that right?” Obama said. “Tell me how to say…” he said, turning to Benjamin for help, and then trying again: “Bayou La Batre. That’s in Alabama people.”

xfl2001fan
07-16-2009, 01:04 PM
It's a blip on the map...and probably not much more for another 6 months or so. Once everything starts piling up though..it'll be too hard to ignore

HometownGal
07-16-2009, 02:16 PM
But, but, but, but Bush. :chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
07-16-2009, 04:40 PM
When people keep losing jobs across the country, they don't want people in the news telling them what a bang up job the Prez is doing. Not when they are STILL losing Homes, Losing Jobs, Losing HOPE and Sick Of The Change.

revefsreleets
07-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I think it's started...the media polished this turd up nice and shiny, and the American people bought it (or ate it, depending)...but the luster and shine is rubbing off.

Obama is a lemon and it's only a matter of time until there's no way even his most staunch (and clearly blind) supporters have to fess up. Chinks are here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090719/pl_politico/25114

Finally, we’re starting to see him sweat.

President Barack Obama made his personal icy cool the trademark of his campaign, the tenor of his White House and the hallmark of an early run of successes at home and abroad. But as the glamour wears off and a long, frustrating summer wears on, he is being forced to improvise — stooping to respond to political foes and adjusting his tactics and demeanor for the trench warfare of a legislative agenda.................

Godfather
07-19-2009, 06:27 PM
“Did I say that right?” Obama said. “Tell me how to say…” he said, turning to Benjamin for help, and then trying again: “Bayou La Batre. That’s in Alabama people.”

I saw that live. I didn't realize there were people in this country who hadn't heard of Bayou La Batre.

beSteelmyheart
07-19-2009, 09:47 PM
This sort of thing just reeks of the celebrity bashing kind of crap that one might see on entertainment tonight or something. Ugh. Who cares if a guy flubbed some speeches? It wont be the first prez to do so & certainly won't be the last.

revefsreleets
07-20-2009, 08:21 AM
That isn't the point...prior to this, NOTHING the man did was in the slightest way scrutinized. He was lionized by the press, and the press does an awful lot in forming public opinion of elected officials. Conversely, if Bush looked into a camera cross-eyed, he was viciously ripped up in the press. It's very difficult to gain any kind of public opinion advantages if the pop media is tearing you down for every little misstep or miscue.

They've handled Obama with kid gloves, and that is NOT fair, balanced or consistent. These early and tentative forays into leveling a little scrutiny at the guy, a little bit of critical analysis, is a GOOD thing, because it shows that the press still knows how to do their job, and there's hope that a level playing field can still be achieved.

tony hipchest
07-20-2009, 09:52 PM
They've handled Obama with kid gloves, and that is NOT fair, balanced or consistent. These early and tentative forays into leveling a little scrutiny at the guy, a little bit of critical analysis, is a GOOD thing, because it shows that the press still knows how to do their job, and there's hope that a level playing field can still be achieved.

this is pure sour grapes and boarder line whining that is really unbecoming of you.

are you really suggesting that obama shoulda turned himself into a crotchety old coot to make it a level playing field and make it "fair"?

just think, what you are asking for mightve landed the democrats the WH in '00 or '04.

but theres no sense in crying about the past, right?

"bu..bu..bu..mccain-nofair"? really?

revefsreleets
07-21-2009, 07:38 AM
I've been alive long enough to see 8 presidents, and aware of what was going on around 5 of them. I've NEVER seen a politician handled as gently by the media as Obama. Never.

So go ahead and blame me for that. Say it's whining or sour grapes. Whatever. It still does nothing to change the FACT that the media is still nobslobbing all over this dude.

I'd be willing to wager that I could get a couple "amen's" from some of the older posters who can affirm what I'm saying.

Obama is driving the ship into an iceberg, the media is cheerleading him on, and his fanboys are still whipped up in a frenzy over this jackass, BUT I'M the one being accused of wrongdoing. That's a problem...

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-21-2009, 08:11 AM
this is pure sour grapes and boarder line whining that is really unbecoming of you.

are you really suggesting that obama shoulda turned himself into a crotchety old coot to make it a level playing field and make it "fair"?

just think, what you are asking for mightve landed the democrats the WH in '00 or '04.

but theres no sense in crying about the past, right?

"bu..bu..bu..mccain-nofair"? really?

Come on Tony...You know that I have been fair towards the current President...and that I have withheld criticism based on my personal beliefs.

However, it is MORE than obvious that the media is anything but fair and unbiased in its coverage of this administration. I have no problem with the President being "human"...but I have a HUGE problem with newspapers who have become little more than op-ed writers and television reporters and newsanchors who have dubbed themselves as image consultants.

This is more a criticism of the media than it is of the President. They need to get back to just giving us the facts...and we can judge the President by his performance.

HometownGal
07-21-2009, 08:14 AM
I've been alive long enough to see 8 presidents, and aware of what was going on around 5 of them. I've NEVER seen a politician handled as gently by the media as Obama. Never.

So go ahead and blame me for that. Say it's whining or sour grapes. Whatever. It still does nothing to change the FACT that the media is still nobslobbing all over this dude.

I'd be willing to wager that I could get a couple "amen's" from some of the older posters who can affirm what I'm saying.

Obama is driving the ship into an iceberg, the media is cheerleading him on, and his fanboys are still whipped up in a frenzy over this jackass, BUT I'M the one being accused of wrongdoing. That's a problem...

I've got you beat by a couple of Presidents, revs. :chuckle:

I have to say AMEN to your statements above, as I've never witnessed a CIC being literally worshipped like a God, given a free pass to say and do whatever he chooses no matter how offensive or disingenuous it is, or treated with kid gloves the way Obaaaaaaama is and has been since the day he scurried out on the campaign trail. :shake01:

tony hipchest
07-23-2009, 09:50 PM
I have no problem with the President being "human"...but I have a HUGE problem with newspapers who have become little more than op-ed writers and television reporters and newsanchors who have dubbed themselves as image consultants.

This is more a criticism of the media than it is of the President. They need to get back to just giving us the facts...and we can judge the President by his performance.i definitely get that. but today is a far cry from the ford administration where we had abc, nbc, cbs, pbs (for 30-120 minutes a day) and the occasional chevy chase skit of him falling down the stars.

nowadays "media" is a 24/7 business where people break down hours of video footage, looking for a split second compromising shot such as this-

http://www.ilgiornale.it/att_jpg.php?ID=522920&X=800&Y=800

that still doesnt change the FACT that one stomping their feet and crying "no fair"! or clamouring for a level playing field isnt whining.

"all is fair in love and war (and politics)." thats just the way it is.

fansince'76
07-23-2009, 10:02 PM
i definitely get that. but today is a far cry from the ford administration where we had abc, nbc, cbs, pbs (for 30-120 minutes a day) and the occasional chevy chase skit of him falling down the stars.

nowadays "media" is a 24/7 business where people break down hours of video footage, looking for a split second compromising shot such as this-

http://www.ilgiornale.it/att_jpg.php?ID=522920&X=800&Y=800

that still doesnt change the FACT that one stomping their feet and crying "no fair"! or clamouring for a level playing field isnt whining.

"all is fair in love and war (and politics)." thats just the way it is.

Yes, and it seemed that GMA (for one example) was right there in a flash to clear up the misconception of "The Savior" which was initially created by that image (while making Sarkozy look like a lecherous pervert at the same time). Think they would have afforded the same treatment for Bush? Fat chance, and THAT is the point you're not getting. Obama, in all his infallible wisdom, walks on water and Bush was the Antichrist, according to the MSM.

tony hipchest
07-23-2009, 10:14 PM
more bu..bu..bu..bush?

:coffee:

poor bushie.

"its not fair".

fwiw, the media loved ronald regean. hes sendoff was more grand than michael jacksons. :hunch:

fansince'76
07-23-2009, 10:21 PM
more bu..bu..bu..bush?

poor bushie.

"its not fair".

fwiw, the media loved ronald regean. hes sendoff was more grand than michael jacksons. :hunch:

It's all good. After all, history will be the final arbiter when all is said and done, won't it?

tony hipchest
07-23-2009, 10:32 PM
It's all good. After all, history will be the final arbiter when all is said and done, won't it?

i dont know. some members here have convinced themself (and even others) that THEY are the final arbiter. :noidea:

Preacher
07-23-2009, 10:37 PM
more bu..bu..bu..bush?

poor bushie.

"its not fair".

Actually, no, it didn't. Ronald Reagan did an end-run around the media. He did not allow the media to twist his message, and sense that was before the 24-7 news cycle, it was easier for him to do.

fansince'76
07-23-2009, 11:02 PM
This is more a criticism of the media than it is of the President. They need to get back to just giving us the facts...and we can judge the President by his performance.

Agreed. For me, it's also more of an indictment of the media than the current administration. I'm getting tired of them pissing on my leg and trying to tell me it's raining.

Preacher
07-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Agreed. For me, it's also more of an indictment of the media than the current administration. I'm getting tired of them pissing on my leg and trying to tell me it's raining.

Raining? i think they are trying to tell us its lemonaide!! :chuckle:

revefsreleets
07-24-2009, 08:36 AM
i dont know. some members here have convinced themself (and even others) that THEY are the final arbiter. :noidea:

Enough already, bench warmer. My opinion is just as valid as yours, and I also have the little edge of actually using "informed" opinion, rather than just blindly following a dude because he's a sliver tongued snake oil salesman. If, however, you don't like what I have to say, you're more than welcome to ignore me...after all, why learn anything new from someone else when you already have all the right answers yourself, eh?

My overall point is this: The pop media pretty much shapes public opinion these days, ESPECIALLY amongst the less astute, of which a growing segment of our population has become. They do as the media tells them. And when the media does NOTHING but heap praise on a guy just because they like him and consider him one of their own, it makes it difficult for the sheeple-types to engage in any kind of critical thinking. We end up with people blindly defending completely asinine statements like "We need to spend more money to stay out of bankruptcy" not because the statement has any validity, but simply because it's bad form to speak ill of a guy so popular, a guy they like, a guy who the media can't say anything bad about.