PDA

View Full Version : Top Senior OT prospects hail from the Big 12

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Here is Gil Brandt's breakdown of the top senior prospects.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d811477a4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I love a lot of what Gil says here:
1. Okung and Williams are blue chip LT prospects.
2. Ciron Black is not..."when you watch tape, you expect more than you see"
3. Sam Young is a RT(he got beat by Veikune all day in the bowl game last year)
4. Ulatoski is a RT, that can play LT in a pinch

The only thing that I think he left out is John Jerry is not gonna be an OT prospect, but probably a top 5 Guard prospect.

revefsreleets
07-16-2009, 03:57 PM
This will unfold during the year, but it's already suspect. In a pass-happy conference, I automatically question the run blocking ability of any and all OT's...

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-16-2009, 05:33 PM
This will unfold during the year, but it's already suspect. In a pass-happy conference, I automatically question the run blocking ability of any and all OT's...

I agree that the conference is a shotgun/spread offense happy place. But, of the top guys I have seen, both Trent Williams and Russel Okung look to be solid run blockers. Ulatoski from Texas could be suspect and Sam Young from ND reminds me of Alex Boone (sans "sauce monster" issues). Good run blocker but waist bender.

Ciron Black from LSU looks to be a better run blocker than pass blocker but at times just seems sloppy and disinterested in a Max Starks-esqe kind of way.

Texasteel
07-16-2009, 06:20 PM
If a couple of the underclassmen declare it could make for an interesting group.

mulldog24
07-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Hopefully we won't have a need for a tackle if Colon gets better or if Hills or Essex steps up but i'm not gonna hold my breath for it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Either Colon or Hills WILL be the RT in 2010, but we could see an OT drafted for depth if A)Colon leaves, B)Essex isnt going to be retained after 2010 or C) Starks struggles to prove his worth this season.

MasterOfPuppets
07-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Either Colon or Hills WILL be the RT in 2010, but we could see an OT drafted for depth if A)Colon leaves, B)Essex isnt going to be retained after 2010 or C) Starks struggles to prove his worth this season.

it could be the all mighty dollar that dictates who will be the starter. i mean with all the contracts at key positions comming up, ( miller, reed, clark then in 2011.. taylor, holmes, woodley ) , a couple million dollar difference between say colon, and hills, could be the diff between who stays and goes.obviously a 3 year starter is going to expect bigger money than a first year starter. like i said, with all the money due, i don't see them giving out another "kemo" like contract to colon and i seriously doubt hartwig will be getting a raise...they almost have to get some younger, first contract players on the roster to offset some of the vets big contracts. thats the reason why the ratbirds have 7 million in cap room left over. they'll most likely have 4 guys on thier line, on thier first contracts. ( grubbs, gaither, yanda ,oher )

mulldog24
08-04-2009, 10:40 AM
it could be the all mighty dollar that dictates who will be the starter. i mean with all the contracts at key positions comming up, ( miller, reed, clark then in 2011.. taylor, holmes, woodley ) , a couple million dollar difference between say colon, and hills, could be the diff between who stays and goes.obviously a 3 year starter is going to expect bigger money than a first year starter. like i said, with all the money due, i don't see them giving out another "kemo" like contract to colon and i seriously doubt hartwig will be getting a raise...they almost have to get some younger, first contract players on the roster to offset some of the vets big contracts. thats the reason why the ratbirds have 7 million in cap room left over. they'll most likely have 4 guys on thier line, on thier first contracts. ( grubbs, gaither, yanda ,oher )

You could be right cause Hills would really be the cheaper option and it would be his 3rd year and time to step up and prove himself anyway so I can see that.