PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Jacksonville Home games BLACKED OUT.

Edman
07-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Not even a local showing. Has this ever happened before?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-10-203/Home-preseason-games-for-Jags-won-t-be-on-TV.html

And not too long ago Jacksonville fans and players were bragging about being the new Steelers.

klick81
07-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Come ooooon Los Angeles Jaguars. I'd love to see the Steelers play in LA every so often!

OneForTheToe
07-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Just another example of the typical poor fan support for Florida teams. The Marlins have won two World Series and don't have the requisite fan support. The Rays are in a similar position lat year. No offense to Florida sport's fans intended, but it seems the majority continue to support the team from the cities they came from at the expenses of the home town teams.

Galax Steeler
07-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Come ooooon Los Angeles Jaguars. I'd love to see the Steelers play in LA every so often!

What fan support.:toofunny:

Youngstown Steeler
07-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Not even a local showing. Has this ever happened before?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-10-203/Home-preseason-games-for-Jags-won-t-be-on-TV.html

And not too long ago Jacksonville fans and players were bragging about being the new Steelers.

If you want to change the attitude of your football team, emulating the Steelers makes perfect sense to me. There's only one problem with that theory. There's only one team that calls themselves the Steelers, and they play in Pittsburgh!
Fail more, Jags!

KeiselPower99
07-17-2009, 09:20 AM
They will be elsewhere in a few years. San Antonio Orlando and L.A. are all places they could end up.

X-Terminator
07-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Sheesh, just move the freaking team already. It was a mistake putting them there in the first place.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Honestly, that franchise should have gone to Baltimore.

revefsreleets
07-17-2009, 01:22 PM
They already put a tarp over half their stadium and "hide the seats" from the NFL. They can barely sell out their regular season games even after "tarping" the field.

Florida fans are the biggest bandwagoners I've ever seen...

klick81
07-17-2009, 01:30 PM
What fan support.:toofunny:

I would actually consider purchasing season tickets...hopefully to make a small profit, and to be able to have tickets at face value when the Steelers come to town.

Dino 6 Rings
07-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Orlando would actually not be a bad spot for them.

steelreserve
07-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Just another example of the typical poor fan support for Florida teams. The Marlins have won two World Series and don't have the requisite fan support. The Rays are in a similar position lat year. No offense to Florida sport's fans intended, but it seems the majority continue to support the team from the cities they came from at the expenses of the home town teams.

Well, except for the Dolphins, all the pro sports teams in Florida are recently added neo-teams that got put there because someone saw a market opportunity. They have no history, no real ties to the city, and the fans know they got plunked down by an outsider whose loyalty is to the highest bidder. Those teams' entire existence is basically artificial -- it's the sports equivalent of tract housing. So it doesn't surprise me at all that they don't attract a die-hard fan following. Why should they?

revefsreleets
07-17-2009, 01:50 PM
I was at the first ever Jax MNF game, must've been like 1999 or 2000. The fans were joke. All drunk as shit, lacked any knowledge of the game, scared the Hell out of me and I thought for sure they were going to rip me apart for wearing all my B&G gear. Just an embarrassment of an NFL franchise city...

Ravnet
07-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Florida fans are the biggest bandwagoners I've ever seen...

I wouldnīt call them bandwagon fans as they donīt even show up when their teams are winning.

revefsreleets
07-17-2009, 03:33 PM
That's because they are also stupid...I think I'd call them the "Paris Hilton" of NFL fans...not only does the team have to be winning, they also ave to be "hot".

Ravnet
07-17-2009, 03:58 PM
That's because they are also stupid...I think I'd call them the "Paris Hilton" of NFL fans...not only does the team have to be winning, they also ave to be "hot".

But not too hot, or else, as Florida fans love to whine about, the games are uncomfortable to attend.

X-Terminator
07-17-2009, 04:04 PM
But not too hot, or else, as Florida fans love to whine about, the games are uncomfortable to attend.

Which, of course, is why the Marlins made sure they got a retractable roof stadium for them to play in. God forbid the rich folks break a sweat in the summertime :coffee: Oh, and when the Marlins still can't draw fans to an air-conditioned stadium, will people finally wake up and realize that just because there are a bunch of Latinos and Cubans in the area doesn't mean they deserve a baseball team?

As for the other teams...when you get past Jacksonville, look at the Tampa Bay Rays, the Lightning and the Florida Panthers. The Rays went to the World Series last year and have a team full of good, young players, and they STILL couldn't draw fans. How many Lightning fans have you seen, before or after they won the Stanley Cup in '04? And do the Panthers actually have fans? All of those teams should be moved - their "fan bases" are a joke.

Edman
07-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Few league expansion teams would kill to have the success the Jacksonville Jaguars have had.

2 AFC Title Games.
2 Division titles.
Some of the best to play the game (Brunell, Smith)
Good Head Coaching.
Cheerleaders.
A Mascot.

Then they get upset when Steeler fans take over their stadium. Hell, the only times Jacksonville has ever sold out is if the Steelers go down there. Jacksonville Fans are a joke. It's gotta be some awful fan support when your PRESEASON games are blacked out.

I wouldn't call Florida sports fans a joke. They're rabid for NCAA, and the Dolphins and Buccaneers are successful NFL teams.

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2009, 04:26 PM
anyone think maybe having 3 teams in one state is a bit of an overkill? 3 in california has never worked...now 3 in florida doesn't work. why don't they look into states that don't already have a team ? like maybe norfolk virginia, , oklahoma city .or las vegas.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-17-2009, 04:45 PM
anyone think maybe having 3 teams in one state is a bit of an overkill? 3 in california has never worked...now 3 in florida doesn't work. why don't they look into states that don't already have a team ? like maybe norfolk virginia, , oklahoma city .or las vegas.

I agree with that.

Buccaneers work. Dolphins work.

Virginia is basically Redskins country.

Oklahoma City could work. The NFL won't touch Vegas due to the whole gambling aspect.

My dad has always wondered why the NFL hasn't put a team in Alabama where the people are just football crazy.

revefsreleets
07-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Jacksonville Jaguars (shivering)..."Yick!"

RoethlisBURGHer
07-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Jacksonville Jaguars (shivering)..."Yick!"

:toofunny: I was never intimidated either. Teal....very scary! :rofl:

X-Terminator
07-17-2009, 05:43 PM
My dad has always wondered why the NFL hasn't put a team in Alabama where the people are just football crazy.

Probably because of a lack of potential corporate support. Unfortunately, just drawing fans isn't enough - they need corporate support through luxury suite purchases, sponsorship and advertising in order to survive.

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2009, 06:00 PM
I agree with that.

Oklahoma City could work. The NFL won't touch Vegas due to the whole gambling aspect.

northern virginia...yes... because of the close proximatey... not so sure about the rest of the state. who do you think the carolina fans used to root for ? i think a team in norfolk or richmond would have just as good a chance as surviving than trying the LA thing again.

OneForTheToe
07-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Florida can support the two NFL teams , one NHL team, and one MLB team. Oh yea, and I guess the Heat draw ok. They need to let the Jags and one each of the teams from the NHL and MLB to go somewhere that will support them. Even the remaining NHL/MLB teams won't draw big, but I don't think these leagues want to abandon the state altogether.

SteelCityMan786
07-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Florida can support the two NFL teams , one NHL team, and one MLB team. Oh yea, and I guess the Heat draw ok. They need to let the Jags and one each of the teams from the NHL and MLB to go somewhere that will support them. Even the remaining NHL/MLB teams won't draw big, but I don't think these leagues want to abandon the state altogether.

If any of the Florida NHL Teams should go, it's the Panthers. The Lightning have great fans that will show up and support the team through good and bad. Florida(Panthers) just doesn't have the support needed. The Marlins won't be going anywhere because they're building a new stadium on the Orange Bowl Site, and it's possible that the Rays will get a new stadium soon to.

The Jags probably would work in Oklahoma. The area already supports the Sooners pretty well. The Cowboys don't do to bad either. Why not Oklahoma? They'd have a couple of rivals to go against with the Cowboys and Texans.

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2009, 06:54 PM
The Jags probably would work in Oklahoma. The area already supports the Sooners pretty well. The Cowboys don't do to bad either. Why not Oklahoma? They'd have a couple of rivals to go against with the Cowboys and Texans. and greenbay, KANSAS CITY....... how about nebraska ? maybe lincoln or omaha? they support the huskers pretty well, and what else do they have to do ? birmingham alabama ?

HughC
07-17-2009, 07:20 PM
If Jacksonville moves and it's not to the LA area, then San Antonio could make sense - unless that's considered to be diehard Cowboy country. It's the largest television market without an NFL team or basically sworn to support another franchise. Don't forget television revenue is larger than gate receipts, so that's an important consideration. The only available market that's bigger is Salt Lake City, but football on Sunday probably wouldn't go over real big there.

nojobny
07-18-2009, 10:23 AM
I agree with that.

Some places can handle multiple teams (9 pro teams in NYC -2 NFL not incld the Bills upstate, MLS & WNBA)

but some places that are football crazy are COLLEGE football crazy. You've got a built in fan base of alumni. That may not transfer over to pro.

Also, can the city infrastructure handle the minutiae of a pro team. (hotels, parking,etc) plus have a city that can draw a big name player and fans.

revefsreleets
07-19-2009, 10:09 AM
By the way, the REASON they are black and teal is so they can sell uniforms to chicks. All stems from the San Jose Sharks, who were perennial bottom feeders BUT were selling gear left and right because people lied the colors.