PDA

View Full Version : Convicted murderer arrested in Steve McNairs death

tony hipchest
07-18-2009, 12:19 AM
this goes beyond football. see link for thuggish ruggish mug shot.

ATF: La Vergne ex-con sold Kazemi the gun that killed McNair

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090717/NEWS01/90717019/ATF++La+Vergne+ex-con+sold+Kazemi+the+gun+that+killed+McNair

Adrian Gilliam Jr. of La Vergne has been arrested in connection with the Steve McNair shooting, accused of supplying the gun that killed the NFL great.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco arrested Gilliam.

The gun offense is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine up to $250,000. Gilliam has a 3 p.m. arraignment today before Judge Clifton Knowles.

Gilliam, 33, was convicted in Miami-Dade County, Fla., in 1993 of three counts of armed robbery and second-degree murder.

Sahel Kazemi, 20, who had been dating McNair for several months, purchased the gun from Gilliam on July 2 ó the same day she was busted for a DUI while McNair was in the passenger seat of a Cadillac Escalade registered to the pair.

Police said she bought it in the parking lot outside Dave & Busters in the middle of her waitress shift for $100 ó and she also tried to sell the gun supplier her Kia but was unsuccessful. She spent so long in the parking lot, the restaurant's managers told her to clock out for the night.

Two days later, McNair was shot four times and Kazemi turned the gun on herself. They were found early morning July 4 in a Second Avenue condo McNair rented with a friend.

Crime-scene evidence showed that all five of the bullets fired in the condo matched the gun that was found under her body. Police are awaiting toxicology reports on both victims.

Kazemiís family has hired a Nashville lawyer and they are seeking an independent investigation. A representative said relatives canít believe she acted alone in killing the former quarterback.

According to a court filing in relation to Gilliam's gun charge, the gun originated at Household Pawn on Charlotte Avenue and went through another owner before Gilliam bought it for $100 about a year ago. It said Gilliam admitted to agents he sold the gun to Kazemi, identifying her through a photograph.

Preacher
07-18-2009, 03:16 AM
I don't know...

unless it was illegal for him to own a gun, I REALLY don't like the law that allows the seller of a gun used in a crime to be punished.

It is tantamount to the seller of a car being punished because the buyer drove drunk and killed a pedestrian.

SteelersinCA
07-18-2009, 03:23 AM
It is illegal for any felon to possess a gun, ever. It is also probably illegal for someone not licensed to sell firearms to sell one in TN. It is in CA, you have to jump through all kinds of hoops even if you give your gun to someone.

Preacher
07-18-2009, 03:29 AM
It is illegal for any felon to possess a gun, ever. It is also probably illegal for someone not licensed to sell firearms to sell one in TN. It is in CA, you have to jump through all kinds of hoops even if you give your gun to someone.

Actually, it is not always illegal to for felon to posses a fire arm. They can go through a process to get their rights restored, and once again vote, possess a fire arm, etc. I have known a couple people in my church that have done that (previous church).

I REALLY don't like the restriction of sales of completely legal things. WAY too much govt. intervention.

SteelersinCA
07-18-2009, 11:27 AM
I think they have to get a pardon from the governor right? 99.9% of felons can't own guns again, that should work.

stillers4me
07-18-2009, 11:41 AM
blame blame blame.......

In the end, the blame lies on McNair himself. Nobody deserves to die for mistakes, but his own decisions and lack of judgement put him a bad situation. My heart goes out to his wife and kids.

devilsdancefloor
07-18-2009, 02:03 PM
blame blame blame.......

In the end, the blame lies on McNair himself. Nobody deserves to die for mistakes, but his own decisions and lack of judgement put him a bad situation. My heart goes out to his wife and kids.
I agree totally! my biggest problem with all this is "how great mcnair is" that is all i have heard. if that where true he would have been home with his wife and kids and not running around.

The Patriot
07-18-2009, 04:18 PM
I don't know...

unless it was illegal for him to own a gun, I REALLY don't like the law that allows the seller of a gun used in a crime to be punished.

It is tantamount to the seller of a car being punished because the buyer drove drunk and killed a pedestrian.

Yes, but it seems pretty irresponsible to sell a firearm in a parking lot.

Preacher
07-18-2009, 04:32 PM

Why? Is it just as irresponsible to sell a butcher knife, a car, or an ax in a parking lot?

Preacher
07-18-2009, 04:33 PM
I think they have to get a pardon from the governor right? 99.9% of felons can't own guns again, that should work.

Some states, if I remember right, are quite a bit more generous. However, I agree with you, they SHOULDNT be able to.

If you are a felon, you should not be able to vote nor own a firearm.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Some states, if I remember right, are quite a bit more generous. However, I agree with you, they SHOULDNT be able to.

If you are a felon, you should not be able to vote nor own a firearm.

Felons cannot own a firearm in Tennesee...however there is no waiting period to buy handguns and a private seller is not obligated to report a sale.

The Patriot
07-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Why? Is it just as irresponsible to sell a butcher knife, a car, or an ax in a parking lot?

We must have grown up in different neighborhoods.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-18-2009, 06:36 PM

...and we know as a Patriot fan that you just CAN'T tolerate irresponsibility and dirty dealings.:doh:

The Patriot
07-18-2009, 06:45 PM
...and we know as a Patriot fan that you just CAN'T tolerate irresponsibility and dirty dealings.:doh:

It's a sad world we live in where Belichick can break an NFL rule, yet if I were to purchase an illegal firearm in back of a Dave & Busters and shoot him, I would be the one to go to prison!

:shake02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-18-2009, 06:55 PM
It's a sad world we live in where Belichick can break an NFL rule, yet if I were to purchase an illegal firearm in back of a Dave & Busters and shoot him, I would be the one to go to prison!

:shake02:

I think the Commish has established a rule in which the Patriots automatically win the Super Bowl in the event that Belichick should experience an untimely demise.

Oh...and if it makes you feel any better, prisons are full of people who make excuses for bad behavior...as a Pats fan, you'll be in good company.

The Patriot
07-18-2009, 07:05 PM
I think the Commish has established a rule in which the Patriots automatically win the Super Bowl in the event that Belichick should experience an untimely demise.

Oh...and if it makes you feel any better, prisons are full of people who make excuses for bad behavior...as a Pats fan, you'll be in good company.

No, no, no, don't get me wrong. I agree with you gunnies. Every american citizen has the right to go on at least one killing spree with the assault weapon of their choice, so long as they don't mind being punished afterward.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-18-2009, 07:28 PM
No, no, no, don't get me wrong. I agree with you gunnies. Every american citizen has the right to go on at least one killing spree with the assault weapon of their choice, so long as they don't mind being punished afterward.

No no no...don't get me wrong...the thought of Belichick being shot by a deranged Patriot fan, and that fan being sent away and denied access to a public computer feels me with glee.

CantStop85
07-18-2009, 08:49 PM
blame blame blame.......

:doh:

MasterOfPuppets
07-18-2009, 09:03 PM
blame blame blame.......

so by your reasoning, battered women should get the blame for being beat up by thier man.... i mean it was thier decision to be with them..... :rolleyes:

stillers4me
07-18-2009, 09:13 PM
so by your reasoning, battered women should get the blame for being beat up by thier man.... i mean it was thier decision to be with them..... :rolleyes:

Oh for Gawds sake. If the man had been at home with his wife and kids where he belonged, there's a pretty good chance he'd be alive today.

The Patriot
07-18-2009, 10:57 PM
No no no...don't get me wrong...the thought of Belichick being shot by a deranged Patriot fan, and that fan being sent away and denied access to a public computer feels me with glee.

okay, the part about the public computer was funny.

subtle shots are always the best.

HometownGal
07-19-2009, 08:05 AM

That's NOT what she's saying here, MOP. Sue said . . .

McNair didn't deserve to die by any stretch of the imagination, but sadly, when you play with fire, you sometimes end up getting burned. It was McNair's decision to play footsie with this young kook and it ended up costing him not only his life, but cost one woman her husband and 4 young children their father.

CantStop85
07-19-2009, 08:18 AM
That's NOT what she's saying here, MOP. Sue said . . .

McNair didn't deserve to die by any stretch of the imagination, but sadly, when you play with fire, you sometimes end up getting burned. It was McNair's decision to play footsie with this young kook and it ended up costing him not only his life, but cost one woman her husband and 4 young children their father.

Ah, but she did say that the blame resided fully on Steve McNair. It reminds me of what the Bluegrass Rape and Crisis Center always lectured to us in our crisis counselor training. The blame is never on the victim...even if they did make the decision to put themselves at risk by drinking copious amounts, going to parties alone, and dressing scantily clad, they're still not the ones at fault. Of course, that's dealing with a whole 'nother animal, rape instead of murder.

:noidea:

Anyhow, McNair may have made some mistakes but that still doesn't make his death any more deserved or any less tragic. I can't attest to his true character and I assume neither can anyone else on this board, so why don't we just stick to what we know him as: a hell of a football player who will be sorely missed.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-19-2009, 09:06 AM
okay, the part about the public computer was funny.

subtle shots are always the best.

LOL!!
:drink:

fansince'76
07-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Ah, but she did say that the blame resided fully on Steve McNair. It reminds me of what the Bluegrass Rape and Crisis Center always lectured to us in our crisis counselor training. The blame is never on the victim...even if they did make the decision to put themselves at risk by drinking copious amounts, going to parties alone, and dressing scantily clad, they're still not the ones at fault. Of course, that's dealing with a whole 'nother animal, rape instead of murder.

Would he have wound up being murdered had he remained faithful to his wife? I vote no. While he didn't deserve to die, and the circumstances don't make his death any less tragic, he doesn't get a free pass in my book.

stillers4me
07-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Would he have wound up being murdered had he remained faithful to his wife?

Ding ding ding ding!

revefsreleets
07-19-2009, 10:13 AM
"Le Vergne....well, he's a lot like Jesus to me"

< Killuh Ray Lewis >

Preacher
07-19-2009, 11:33 AM
We must have grown up in different neighborhoods.

We sure did... in my neighborhood, an ax, a knife and a car are used just as responsibly as a gun. It was only criminals that used them all irresponsibly and hurt others.

I have no problem with private sales of guns. Once again, the only people who would cease selling guns privately if it was outlawed would be the ones who would also have enough responsibility not to sell a gun to someone they didn't trust with it.

___

In this case, it is a shame a person died, and another committed suicide. As usual in suicides, if someone had just seen the signs and confronted her, talked to her, called the police and reported their worries, it would not have happened.

It is much easier to get over embarrassment and finding out that a person wasn't going to commit suicide, than it is to get over the guilt that you could and should have intervened when your suspicions told you there was a suicide attempt.

And yes, McNair is to blame for his life decisions, but that doesn't mean he is to blame for being shot. Those are two different things....

The Patriot
07-19-2009, 12:13 PM
We sure did... in my neighborhood, an ax, a knife and a car are used just as responsibly as a gun. It was only criminals that used them all irresponsibly and hurt others.

I have no problem with private sales of guns. Once again, the only people who would cease selling guns privately if it was outlawed would be the ones who would also have enough responsibility not to sell a gun to someone they didn't trust with it.

___

In this case, it is a shame a person died, and another committed suicide. As usual in suicides, if someone had just seen the signs and confronted her, talked to her, called the police and reported their worries, it would not have happened.

It is much easier to get over embarrassment and finding out that a person wasn't going to commit suicide, than it is to get over the guilt that you could and should have intervened when your suspicions told you there was a suicide attempt.

And yes, McNair is to blame for his life decisions, but that doesn't mean he is to blame for being shot. Those are two different things....

Yes, but if you have people selling guns in parking lots, a criminal or somebody on parole could easily obtain a firearm and there would be no record of it. I have no problem with people selling guns, just so long as they go through the lawful steps.

If I were to legally purchase 100 sniper rifles and sell them to somebody in the middle east, would you be okay with that?

SteelersinCA
07-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone's state have a legal limit for the amount of alcohol you can ingest? I know CA doesn't. However, this is typical of the misinformation the media feeds us.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534128,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a16:g4:r5:c0 .000000:b26588322:z0

Bullshit headline, then they say "for driving" in the text fo the article. Last time I checked there was no legal limit when you drink in the comfort of your own home.