PDA

View Full Version : Shaq, Big Ben to go mano-a-mano in Ambridge

mesaSteeler
07-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Shaq, Big Ben to go mano-a-mano in Ambridge
http://timesonline.com/articles/2009/07/17/news/doc4a60ba4c575a4229769661.txt

By Scott Tady, Times Entertainment Editor

AMBRIDGE — Shaquille O’Neal has challenged Ben Roethlisberger to a game of football.

And local sports fans can see the action up-close in Ambridge.

As part of his new reality TV show, “The Shaq Show,” basketball star O’Neal will be at Ambridge Area High School’s Moe Rubenstein Stadium from July 22 to 24. The 7-foot-1 center will get a crash course in quarterbacking, working with the Pittsburgh Colts semi-pro team.

The Wednesday and Thursday practices will be closed to the public, said Randy Cosgrove, athletic director for Ambridge Area. But everyone’s invited to Friday’s 6 p.m. showdown, in which O’Neal will take turns with Pittsburgh Steelers star Roethlisberger, seeing who does a better job of running the Colts’ offense. Another semi-pro team might be added, too.

“We encourage thousands and thousands of people to show up,” Cosgrove said, adding that the refurbished stadium’s new parking lot off Duss Avenue will be open.

Donations taken at the gate will benefit the Ambridge Quarterback Club and a campaign to buy rings for the state champion Ambridge Area High School boys volleyball team.

Producers of “The Shaq Show” got in touch with Cosgrove through his work as a public address announcer at Heinz Field.

Initially, the show hoped to have O’Neal and Roethlisberger quarterbacking different high school teams. Ambridge and Aliquippa would have been the logical choice, Cosgrove said, but the PIAA nixed the idea. State scholastic football rules forbid teams from competing in uniform before Aug. 15.

And producers of the show wanted to film before Roethlisberger goes to Latrobe for the Steelers’ training camp later this month. So, Cosgrove suggested they use the Colts.

As a precaution for O’Neal and Roethlisberger’s sake, there will be a no-hitting-the-quarterback rule in place for the contest, Cosgrove said.

Future episodes of “The Shaq Show” will have the new Cleveland Cavalier challenging marquee players from other sports at their own game. For instance, future episodes could have him playing golf against Tiger Woods, or tennis vs. Andy Roddick.

Other details on the show weren’t available Friday, although Cosgrove said he heard a producer mention that ABC was involved.

tony hipchest
07-18-2009, 12:20 AM
sad thing is, ben could probably beat shaq in a game of 21. :chuckle:

mesaSteeler
07-18-2009, 12:28 AM
I've got no problem with this since it is a charity event and as long as they enforce the rules.

"Roethlisberger’s sake, there will be a no-hitting-the-quarterback rule in place for the contest, Cosgrove said."

Last thing we need is some crazed semipro tackling Ben.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Not to come off as an a-hole on this board, but as he is now a member of my favorite basketball team and he's going against my most hated rival (and hated player Elway II, take that as the utmost compliment.), I can say:

GOOO SHAQ!!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMRvl4Glyz4

Though to be fair, wouldn't it have been better to have this in Youngstown so the crowd could be split down the middle?

I'm sure tons of Cavs/Browns fans would show up to see this, and likewise I'm sure the Steeler fans would do the same. :).

I've got no problem with this since it is a charity event and as long as they enforce the rules.

"Roethlisberger’s sake, there will be a no-hitting-the-quarterback rule in place for the contest, Cosgrove said."

Last thing we need is some crazed semipro tackling Ben.

Don't worry, I don't think any of the Browns Pass rushers can get to him this year.

Ah, yes, I can make fun of my own team as well. Just wish there wasn't a bit of truth in that :(.

lilyoder6
07-18-2009, 03:19 AM
knew this a while back.. lol...

Galax Steeler
07-18-2009, 06:03 AM
It shouldn't even be close. Ben probably won't even have to try to beat him.

mulldog24
07-18-2009, 07:12 AM
Yeah Ben is so competetive you know that he is gonna try to win charity or not.

Stlrs4Life
07-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Not to come off as an a-hole on this board, but as he is now a member of my favorite basketball team and he's going against my most hated rival (and hated player Elway II, take that as the utmost compliment.), I can say:

GOOO SHAQ!!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMRvl4Glyz4

Though to be fair, wouldn't it have been better to have this in Youngstown so the crowd could be split down the middle?

I'm sure tons of Cavs/Browns fans would show up to see this, and likewise I'm sure the Steeler fans would do the same. :).

Don't worry, I don't think any of the Browns Pass rushers can get to him this year.

Ah, yes, I can make fun of my own team as well. Just wish there wasn't a bit of truth in that :(.

Pfffft, Youngstown area is not as split anymore like you think it is. I work in Lordstown and there is more Steeler fans than Browns fans.

lilyoder6
07-18-2009, 12:07 PM
they are doing it at ambridge.. just like the man said.. ambridge just had there whole stadium.. except for the away stands completely redone... it rly does look nice...

b.c me personally don't want 2 get shot in allquippa

stillers4me
07-18-2009, 12:43 PM
At least it sounds more interesting than OchoCinco and the horse.

triphahn
07-18-2009, 03:33 PM
sad thing is, ben could probably beat shaq in a game of 21. :chuckle:

Thats no lie. Shaqs effective range is 3 feet.

SteelersMongol
07-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Wow. This should b a fun. :applaudit: Though 2 make it fair & even more interesting, they should play basketball next. Then if they go 1-1, they should play either hockey with the Penguins against each other, or play baseball with the Pirates. :wink02: