PDA

View Full Version : PFW - Steelers' Dixon could overtake Batch

mesaSteeler
07-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Steelers' Dixon could overtake Batch
Posted July 15, 2009 @ 1:04 p.m.
By Mike Wilkening
http://profootballweekly.com/2009/07/15/steelers-dixon-could-overtake-batch

An interesting training-camp competition could develop between Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon for the No. 2 QB job, and we are hearing Dixon will have a strong chance at becoming the top backup. Dixon, who played in just one game last season as the club’s No. 3 passer, has very good mobility and arm strength. Batch’s best attribute is his experience and understanding of the Steelers’ offense.

Also, he has generally fared well when pressed into service. Batch, who would have been the top backup last season, missed all of the ’08 campaign with a broken collarbone; the Steelers signed Byron Leftwich (now with Tampa Bay) to replace him.

One other Steelers’ QB tidbit: We’re told that there is no indication Dixon will be used in any "Wildcat" formations as a way to get him on the field more. However, how Dixon is used in training camp and the preseason bears watching.

stillers4me
07-19-2009, 11:05 AM
I love Charlie and all. I hope he sticks around in some coaching capacity because he is gold in the locker room. But Dixon will soon take over the #2 spot......at least for a few years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Utter nonsense article!!! Everybody knows that Dixon was drafted to be the next "Slash", return kicks, play WR and use his athletic ability in gadget sets like "the Wildcat". :rolleyes:

How dare a fly by night publication like PFW, print such an uninformed article, which has no truth to it whatsoever. :doh:

fansince'76
07-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Dixon, who played in just one game last season as the club’s No. 3 passer, has very good mobility and arm strength.

So did Kordell. Can he hit the broad side of a barn with the ball (I hope)?

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Utter nonsense article!!! Everybody knows that Dixon was drafted to be the next "Slash", return kicks, play WR and use his athletic ability in gadget sets like "the Wildcat". :rolleyes:

But....but...it works on Madden-09???!!!

scsteeler
07-19-2009, 01:11 PM

How dare a fly by night publication like PFW, print such an uninformed article, which has no truth to it whatsoever. :doh:

Yes the Utter Nonsense that Dixon was drafted to play the position he played in College! QB..

Everyone knows the wildcat is the next evolution of how teams will run offenses.

STEELAMANIA
07-19-2009, 03:33 PM
The big question here is if and only if Ben gets hurt, does Dixon know the offense well enough to stand in until Ben can play again?

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-19-2009, 03:49 PM
The big question here is if and only if Ben gets hurt, does Dixon know the offense well enough to stand in until Ben can play again?

Dixon has studied the offense for over a year now. In contract, rookie QB Ben Roethlisberger had about 3 months in the offense before having to play in 2004.........I think Dixon would be fine. He just needs to get some game experience and if that comes in the preseason........great!!

steel striker
07-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Well time will tell it is good he has some wheels and, everyone says he has a good arm. I know it college he some big plays but, we all know it can be a big difference between college and the nfl.

mulldog24
07-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I know this much, before he got hurt in college he was the leading canidate for the hiesman trophy. That being said he may still have some learning to do but with some preseason experience he may make the jump over Batch on the depth chart.

BlockMonsta
07-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I know this much, before he got hurt in college he was the leading canidate for the hiesman trophy. That being said he may still have some learning to do but with some preseason experience he may make the jump over Batch on the depth chart.

Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart also won the Hiesman..So...NO! But Dixon has the arm to go along with the speed. Wild cat must be introduced!

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Mulldog, we all have to remember what Heisman winners and candidates mean in the NFL. Guys like Danny Weurffel, Eric Crouch, Gino Toretta and Jason White were not NFL QB's.

I have said all along that while Dixon's game may look a bit like Vince Young, he is a better pure passer than Young, not as good a runner and apparantly has looked quite capable of running an NFL offense. He is in a great situation and will overtake Batch next year if not this.

lilyoder6
i think that dixon will show some things in the preseason and will have to force BA to make packages or plays for dixon

MasterOfPuppets
i hope he does get # 2. batch's time in the nfl is winding down. there's no future in batch, so why not give dixon more reps in practice i still think the steelers should work on getting him on the field a few plays per game.... if for no other reason, it forces opposing defences to use up practice time planning for him.

HometownGal
07-19-2009, 09:58 PM
So did Kordell. Can he hit the broad side of a barn with the ball (I hope)?

He can't be any worse at hitting the broad side of a barn than Charlie. :horror: The ONLY time I am ever even slightly comfortable with Batch behind center is when he's handing off the ball. I'm with stillers here - he'd be much better suited in a Steelers coaching capacity (he most likely is SOL as a QB coach in the near future as Kenny Anderson has been crucial to Ben's development and isn't going anywhere any time soon).

Preacher
07-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Batch was a GREAT backup QB a few years ago. But the year before last when he came in, he started throwing a bit wild. Whether that is rust or that is age, I don't know. I do know however, that I am looking forward to seeing this Dixon kid develop into a pretty good backup QB.

Sure would be nice if he could come in and actually win a few games for us, then we could use him as trade bait in a couple years.

Galax Steeler
07-20-2009, 03:37 AM
I have been saying it for a while Dixon will overtake Batch this year. We need to get him involved in the game now. Let him learn the offense and get playing time. Batch will not be around after this year.

Steelers & I
07-20-2009, 04:16 AM
It doesn't matter to me who wins the #2 spot. I do know this, if the the #2 guy is under center then Roethliseberger isn't, so, whether it's batch or Dixon, it will definitely blow so I'll have to block them.

Now, who wants lemonade? :doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-20-2009, 09:13 AM
He can't be any worse at hitting the broad side of a barn than Charlie. :horror: The ONLY time I am ever even slightly comfortable with Batch behind center is when he's handing off the ball. .

I'm the same. Batch looks to have a weaker arm than Chad Pennington, but not as good accuracy. His smart decisions help him complete passes, but DB's eventually close on that floater of a ball he throws.

revefsreleets
07-20-2009, 10:32 AM

It is nonsense....it's nonsensical to have a talent like that rotting on the bench carrying a clipboard. Last year Dixon contributed ZERO.

When I defend the staff and FO I'm called a blind homer lemming, and when I question them on something that makes little sense I'm called a know-nothing spewing nonsense. That's REAL nice...

Anyway, if Batch loses the job then Dixon takes on a completely different role on the team and he becomes too valuable to use as a situational skill player...HOWEVER, if the dude can't crack the two-deep it is an utter waste of time for him to be riding pine carrying a clipboard around...no reason we can't work him in and get him a few touches a game.

steelreserve
07-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Anyway, if Batch loses the job then Dixon takes on a completely different role on the team and he becomes too valuable to use as a situational skill player...HOWEVER, if the dude can't crack the two-deep it is an utter waste of time for him to be riding pine carrying a clipboard around...no reason we can't work him in and get him a few touches a game.

That's pretty much my take on it. Screw the Wildcat or Slash II or converting him into a receiver -- if he's not going to get on the field otherwise, it'd just be nice to have him available for the occasional trick play like we used to run with Randle El. Even if we just ran him out there as a decoy a couple times, it would have the defense scrambling around like the Three Stooges trying to adjust. THAT'S where we'd get our advantage.

Having said that, I hope he's good enough as a pure QB to replace Batch. Much as I like the guy, he was only adequate, and now he's getting old. The longer that situation drags on, the more nervous I get.

Fire Haley
07-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Byron played in 5 games last year - I damn well hope our back-up QB is ready.

If Charley's brittle bones can make it out of preseason intact I'll breathe a lot easier.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-20-2009, 11:49 AM
When I defend the staff and FO I'm called a blind homer lemming, and when I question them on something that makes little sense I'm called a know-nothing spewing nonsense. That's REAL nice...

I think you have a Nathan Thurm complex.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FOLBQxk72NY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FOLBQxk72NY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Why so defensive?

mmalone
07-20-2009, 01:00 PM
it may just be time for dixon to take over #2
he has to move ahead at some point. his acl should be well healed physically and mentally.

revefsreleets
07-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Why so defensive?

Because every single time an article about Dixon comes up you post the same exact snarky sarcastic comments.

He rotted on the bench last year, and you "called it"...whooppee for you! We don't need to hear about it over and over again, though...

pancake
07-20-2009, 02:28 PM
I like Batch as our #2, but I would love to see Dixon run the Wildcat for us a few plays a game. I'm probably in the minority on this one...

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-20-2009, 04:40 PM
....it's nonsensical to have a talent like that rotting on the bench carrying a clipboard. Last year Dixon contributed ZERO.

...HOWEVER, if the dude can't crack the two-deep it is an utter waste of time for him to be riding pine carrying a clipboard around...no reason we can't work him in and get him a few touches a game.

So you think that Arians should have worked a rookie QB into the offense, 9 months after Dixon had ACL surgery so he didnt rot on the bench??? I think I will defer to the Steelers coaches on this decision to use Dixon as a backup QB.

I'm SURE the FO has spent a little time on this one, since, you know, this is WHAT THEY DO.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=36820&highlight=arians&page=5

HometownGal
07-20-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm the same. Batch looks to have a weaker arm than Chad Pennington, but not as good accuracy. His smart decisions help him complete passes, but DB's eventually close on that floater of a ball he throws.

He's a very smart guy, I'll give him that, but he has a noodle arm and major happy feet. As someone else stated, Charlie is adequate at best in the very short term and I'm actually shocked that he has survived even as a backup this long.

24seven
07-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Being from Oregon, there was a time before his injury that Dennis Dixon was the next coming of the lord. The guy is truly talented and fast as hell.. given the right opportunity I have no doubts whatsoever he will rise to the challenge. On the other hand> Batch has been outstanding as a fill when needed. Not once do I remember him not coming in and puting on a great show. Good luck to both and I think were pretty secure at backup at least for the time being.

HometownGal
07-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Batch has been outstanding as a fill when needed. Not once do I remember him not coming in and puting on a great show.

Outstanding? That's a stretch, imho. He's adequate for a couple of series handing off the ball, imho, but as a reliable backup to Ben should he (God forbid) suffer an injury that will keep him out several games - thanks, but no thanks.

(You don't remember Charlie's infamous "lateral"?) :horror:

revefsreleets
07-21-2009, 10:01 AM
So you think that Arians should have worked a rookie QB into the offense, 9 months after Dixon had ACL surgery so he didnt rot on the bench??? I think I will defer to the Steelers coaches on this decision to use Dixon as a backup QB.

I'm SURE the FO has spent a little time on this one, since, you know, this is WHAT THEY DO.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=36820&highlight=arians&page=5

OK, either Dixon WAS hurt, and couldn't play or he wasn't. Either way, he ate up a roster spot...if he couldn't play, what was he doing dressing? Why wasn't he on the IR? The practice squad?

And, that brings us to this year, smart guy...what do we do with him this year if he's healed and can't break the two-deep? Let him walk around on the sidelines all year again doing nothing?

That's a bullshit excuse and we both know it. Dixon was a waste of space on the roster last year, and there was no real reason why a guy with that kind of talent couldn't get a few touches here and there.

mmalone
07-21-2009, 11:25 AM
OK, either Dixon WAS hurt, and couldn't play or he wasn't. Either way, he ate up a roster spot...if he couldn't play, what was he doing dressing? Why wasn't he on the IR? The practice squad? .\

You cant learn the complicated offensive schemes on the practice squad.....

he needs to see the game, visually match and know the play calls and see how to run an offense correctly. he cant learn that off the field.....

of course is he is on the sidelines learning, he may be our #2 this year...

steelreserve
07-21-2009, 11:33 AM
OK, either Dixon WAS hurt, and couldn't play or he wasn't. Either way, he ate up a roster spot...if he couldn't play, what was he doing dressing? Why wasn't he on the IR? The practice squad?

And, that brings us to this year, smart guy...what do we do with him this year if he's healed and can't break the two-deep? Let him walk around on the sidelines all year again doing nothing?

That's a bullshit excuse and we both know it. Dixon was a waste of space on the roster last year, and there was no real reason why a guy with that kind of talent couldn't get a few touches here and there.

I think that if you're listed as the third quarterback, you don't technically take up a roster spot. You get your standard list of active players for a game, and then you get a free extra spot for the #3 quarterback on the condition that he's not allowed to come into the game except in case of emergency. If you don't name a #3 QB, you give up the extra roster spot. Or maybe that's just for gameday active/inactive lists, I can't remember. If he was on the practice squad, I have no doubt someone in need of a backup QB would have snagged him and we'd get nothing in return.

Either way, I do agree that if he was healthy at all, we ought to have gotten him on the field a little bit somehow. Even if it was just as a decoy, he'd have his uses.

revefsreleets
07-21-2009, 11:36 AM
My post is much more about this year than last, anyway. I'll give the kid (and the FO/staff) a pass for year one, but he either needs to step into the #2 spot this year or contribute in some other way. He's not Brian St. Pierre, he's a gifted athlete who can contribute in other ways than lining up under center.

steelreserve
07-21-2009, 01:05 PM
My post is much more about this year than last, anyway. I'll give the kid (and the FO/staff) a pass for year one, but he either needs to step into the #2 spot this year or contribute in some other way. He's not Brian St. Pierre, he's a gifted athlete who can contribute in other ways than lining up under center.

I agree wholeheartedly. And if he ends up making it as the #2 QB, I'd be excited to see what he can contribute that way. Even if he just lined up under center for the odd play here and there, it would really throw the defense off guard.

revefsreleets
07-22-2009, 08:47 AM
This takes on added importance if this thing with Ben has any legs...

stillers4me
07-22-2009, 08:48 AM
This takes on added importance if this thing with Ben has any legs...

If this thing has any legs, we can kiss a repeat goodbye.

TackleMeBen
07-22-2009, 09:38 AM
If this thing has any legs, we can kiss a repeat goodbye.
what?? no faith in batch to lead our team to another superbowl... where is our steeler spirit???

stillers4me
07-22-2009, 10:22 AM
what?? no faith in batch to lead our team to another superbowl... where is our steeler spirit???

:buttkick:

Fire Haley
07-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Word is Byron isn't happy in Tampa.

I should give him a call.

stillers4me
07-22-2009, 10:34 AM

I know I'd sure feel alot better if Byron skeedadelled his pudgy little butt back to Pittsburgh. Not that he's on the same caliber as Ben, but at least he's an experianced starter that's proven he can come through in pinch. Let the D do it's job, and let Byron manage the game as well as Ben did in '05 and we'd at least sniff the playoffs. Hopefully, Dixon will surprise us the way Ben did.

I really don't think this will see the courts for at least a year, so any suspensions would propbably happen next year if the worst unfolds for Ben. I just worry about the distraction of it over his head. I got tired of turning blue waiting for the next interception that year he face planted the windshield.

mmalone
07-22-2009, 10:45 AM

lets let dennis play ball... byron and charlie are older and 3rd string now....

dixon is like having a Matthew Stafford pick with a tom brady knee...

they say tom brady will win it all, so dixon should be just fine for us at #2...

steelreserve
07-22-2009, 11:13 AM
I really don't think this will see the courts for at least a year, so any suspensions would propbably happen next year if the worst unfolds for Ben. I just worry about the distraction of it over his head. I got tired of turning blue waiting for the next interception that year he face planted the windshield.

That's what I'm talking about. Ben seems to be one of those QBs when if his head's not in the game, it REALLY makes a difference. We saw that in '06 and we saw a little of it at the start of last season. If that's what happens this time, I hope we've got a backup plan.

TackleMeBen
07-22-2009, 11:40 AM
:buttkick:

hey dont kick me in the butt, i wasnt the one that got us into this mess...lol..:chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-22-2009, 03:11 PM
That's what I'm talking about. Ben seems to be one of those QBs when if his head's not in the game, it REALLY makes a difference. We saw that in '06 and we saw a little of it at the start of last season. If that's what happens this time, I hope we've got a backup plan.

I thought you just had Willie Parker paranoia (hate) on......but are you really questioning "when Ben's head's not in the game"???? :noidea:

Hoping that "we've got a backup plan" for 2-time Super Bowl winning QB Ben Roethlisberger when most of us around here have waited 25 years for the Steelers to have a true NFL QB is a bit pessimistic.:doh: Cue...... "The Sky is Falling" cat. :

steelreserve
07-22-2009, 04:26 PM
I thought you just had Willie Parker paranoia (hate) on......but are you really questioning "when Ben's head's not in the game"???? :noidea:

Hoping that "we've got a backup plan" for 2-time Super Bowl winning QB Ben Roethlisberger when most of us around here have waited 25 years for the Steelers to have a true NFL QB is a bit pessimistic. Cue...... "The Sky is Falling" cat. :

How in the hell is that even remotely the same thing? I don't have anything against Ben. He's usually an excellent QB, but I've seen him play like shit when other things are undermining him. Parker just sucks all the time.

No, I'm not saying Ben's a head case, or that he's streaky, or that Dixon should be the starter. I'm just saying this is the kind of thing that CAN distract you, especially if it turns into a media circus. It could make you hesitant, or mess up your timing or your preparation, or all kinds of things that a QB needs. I hope it doesn't. What do you want to do -- not even account for the possibility that this could throw your quarterback off, and if it does, we might as well take a cyanide pill because it's all so hopeless? Is that your plan?

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-22-2009, 05:46 PM
I really dont think Ben will be thrown off by who the backup QB is.

If Dixon beats out batch for the #2 job to Roethilisberger............it will be the same as Gary Kubiak beating out Steve DeBerg for the #2 job to John Elway.

steelreserve
07-23-2009, 11:40 AM
It really doesn't matter to me whether Batch or Dixon is the #2 QB. Strictly thinking about the long term, I'd rather it's Dixon. But yes, obviously it would be a huge downgrade if either one of them has to play a lot this year.

I'm just concerned about what happens if this (meaning the rape case) screws up Ben's preparation and he comes out throwing interceptions like Brett Favre on an Oxy binge. I think that's a legitimate worry, given what happened after all the distracting issues in 2006.

Unlike some people, though, I don't think we're completely screwed if another QB has to come in for a while. We're still perfectly capable of winning games. We'd basically just turn into the Ravens with better receivers and a better defense, which still puts us solidly in contention. Is it a move I'd make voluntarily? Of course not. On the other hand, we wouldn't be in contention if the superstar QB started throwing five interceptions a game. Better make sure the other guys are ready, is all. See where I'm going with that?

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-23-2009, 01:43 PM
It really doesn't matter to me whether Batch or Dixon is the #2 QB. Strictly thinking about the long term, I'd rather it's Dixon. But yes, obviously it would be a huge downgrade if either one of them has to play a lot this year.

I'm just concerned about what happens if this (meaning the rape case) screws up Ben's preparation and he comes out throwing interceptions like Brett Favre on an Oxy binge. I think that's a legitimate worry, given what happened after all the distracting issues in 2006.

Unlike some people, though, I don't think we're completely screwed if another QB has to come in for a while. We're still perfectly capable of winning games. We'd basically just turn into the Ravens with better receivers and a better defense, which still puts us solidly in contention. Is it a move I'd make voluntarily? Of course not. On the other hand, we wouldn't be in contention if the superstar QB started throwing five interceptions a game. Better make sure the other guys are ready, is all. See where I'm going with that?

Ah......I wasnt even thinking of the accusations made of Ben. I think its got less merit than the false accusations Bettis was facing back in 05. I dont think it will affect Ben any more than the issues Harrison and Holmes had last year.

If Dixon isnt the #2 this year, then he will be next year.

steelreserve
07-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Ah......I wasnt even thinking of the accusations made of Ben. I think its got less merit than the false accusations Bettis was facing back in 05. I dont think it will affect Ben any more than the issues Harrison and Holmes had last year.

Well, I hope not. But those guys weren't accused of rape and it never really became a national story. I get a much worse feeling about this one. It has Kobe case written all over it, complete with a media circus and a crazy woman, and fans picketing your house and throwing shit at you and everything.

Remember how during the season when all that was going on, Kobe had to fly around the country missing games and crap, just for the pre-trial stuff? THAT'S the kind of thing I'm worried about.

If Dixon isnt the #2 this year, then he will be next year.

Seems like it. If someone's not able to win a second-string job by his third year, I'd have serious doubts about him as a player in general.