PDA

View Full Version : Apple product that sucks

Hammer67
07-20-2009, 08:21 AM
I have to tell you, love my iPhone. Best phone I ever had. The only problem with it is that it requires iTunes to upload anything too it. I HATE iTunes.

Probably the most frustrating thing about iTunes is the sync feature for iPods and iPhones. There isn't a simple drag and drop interface. You basically check if you want to synch music or apps. And, it doesn't work like you would think.

Scenario from this morning...

I want to add a few songs to the phone but don't want to resynch EVERYTHING like apps, photos, etc. So, I uncheck apps and only check music. Itunes proceeds to recopy EVEYRY song on my playlist and REMOVE all my apps. You would think it would just leave the apps alone, right? Wrong. I have to copy all of them back over and reorder them.

Pain in the freaking ass.

How about a drag and drop sync, Apple? Aren't you guys supposed to be the "hip, cool" software people?

stlrtruck
07-20-2009, 08:40 AM
That's why I like my MP3 player that links to Rhapsody and I can drag and drop the new songs I want.

I learned the hard way with my son's iPod about getting sync'd up. We accidentally erased his play list and the computer that his library was on is under maintenance and we're hoping that the hard drive can be saved to save his play list.

vasteeler
07-20-2009, 08:53 AM
i agree i hate itunes i had an ipod for about 10 mins. once i saw i had to download itunes i took it back and got a creative

revefsreleets
07-20-2009, 10:00 AM
No way will I ever buy an ipod. First off, they FORCE you to buy their music, and I prefer to...um...borrow mine from Limewire. Secondly, my mp3 players loads right through RealPlayer, and it's super simple click and drag.

X-Terminator
07-20-2009, 10:28 AM
I have a Samsung YP-P2 MP3 player and the Samsung Behold phone from T-Mobile. Best 2 investments I ever made. Even though both come with special software, I don't need it to upload songs or pictures to either one - I can use RealPlayer or Winamp. I just use their software to sync, add/delete files or convert videos so that I can watch them on either unit. Plus, both units have Bluetooth v2.0 and allows me to listen to my music and still be able to answer calls and transfer files between the two. I had an iPod once and hated it, and will never buy another one until they improve iTunes or allows you to work with files/apps without it.

TackleMeBen
07-20-2009, 10:38 AM
both myself and my daughter have ipods. i have never bought one song from itunes. i already had music on my computer, and all i had to do was convert it into the itunes library and then put it in our ipod.

nojobny
07-20-2009, 11:24 AM
I have to tell you, love my iPhone. Best phone I ever had. The only problem with it is that it requires iTunes to upload anything too it. I HATE iTunes.

Probably the most frustrating thing about iTunes is the sync feature for iPods and iPhones. There isn't a simple drag and drop interface. You basically check if you want to synch music or apps. And, it doesn't work like you would think.

Scenario from this morning...

I want to add a few songs to the phone but don't want to resynch EVERYTHING like apps, photos, etc. So, I uncheck apps and only check music. Itunes proceeds to recopy EVEYRY song on my playlist and REMOVE all my apps. You would think it would just leave the apps alone, right? Wrong. I have to copy all of them back over and reorder them.

Pain in the freaking ass.

How about a drag and drop sync, Apple? Aren't you guys supposed to be the "hip, cool" software people?

I have my iPhone set on manual sync so it doesn't do it until I tell it. I also have a dedicated folder for music that I want on my phone. (I also have a separate 60GB ipod for ALL my music).

Question, are you on a PC or Mac? I think the functionality is a little different.

nojobny
07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
No way will I ever buy an ipod. First off, they FORCE you to buy their music, and I prefer to...um...borrow mine from Limewire. Secondly, my mp3 players loads right through RealPlayer, and it's super simple click and drag.

I have an iPod and an iPhone and of all my music 60% is from CDs, 30% from Limewire and 10% from iTunes.

You can play 'borrowed' music on an iPod/iPhone. And it doesn't matter what model, we've got 2 shuffles, 2 iphones and 2 reg ipods.

Hammer67
07-22-2009, 07:20 AM

That isn't true. I don't buy anything on iTunes. All my music is my personal CD collection ripped to mp3 or I buy non DRM music from Amazon (plus they have higher bit rate mp3's).

What you CAN'T do is copy music from your iPod to other devices as iTunes does add DRM to mp3s when it ports them. Microsoft's Zune does the same thing...I have both. But, I like Microsoft's sync system a lot better then iTunes. I have the Zune in the car so I have my entire collection there, but the iPhone I carry maybe 200 songs. My favorites. I listen to them at work.

Hammer67
07-22-2009, 07:25 AM
I have my iPhone set on manual sync so it doesn't do it until I tell it. I also have a dedicated folder for music that I want on my phone. (I also have a separate 60GB ipod for ALL my music).

Question, are you on a PC or Mac? I think the functionality is a little different.

I do manual sync as well. I have a PC. From what I saw (my cousin has a Mac book) itunes is quite similar on both. The problem is this is a known bug as it is mentioned on their support pages.

The syncing works...it's just clunky and not very intuitive. They should redesign that part of the software.

stillers4me
07-22-2009, 08:15 AM
That reminds me. I transferred my Itunes library to my computer a while back and a few songs are missing. I have to figure out which ones are missing and transfer them or the next time I synch, they will be deleted from my Ipod.

SteelMember
07-22-2009, 08:36 AM
I don't know what all the complaints are for, a real audiophile wouldn't even listen to a compressed MP format file of any kind. :flap: :chuckle:

I will agree, there are some bugs in the iTunes system. The biggest for me is that it dosen't place albums in the same order as you have them organized on the computer. i.e. I have a 2-disc greatest hit album. One goes in in it's correct alphabetical location, the other goes in AFTER various artist albums. WTF? Oh, and it uses the first name of the artist instead of the last.
Also, it has a problem finding artwork for the album covers most times (Beatles for example) so you have to find an image on the web and associate it. Because I hate looking at a list full of "question marks".

As far as snyc, I just put it all on since I use a 120 GB ipod, but having a smaller capacity is a hassle making special playlists. Also, I pretty sure when you re-sync, it only needs to rip the newly added stuff. So I thought it went pretty quick. :noidea:

Hammer67
07-22-2009, 09:09 AM
I don't know what all the complaints are for, a real audiophile wouldn't even listen to a compressed MP format file of any kind. :flap: :chuckle:

Well, anyone using an MP3 player is not worried about audiophile sound (although, I challenge that 99.9% of people would not be able to tell the difference between a CD track and an mp3 at 320bit. :wink02:

I will agree, there are some bugs in the iTunes system. The biggest for me is that it dosen't place albums in the same order as you have them organized on the computer. i.e. I have a 2-disc greatest hit album. One goes in in it's correct alphabetical location, the other goes in AFTER various artist albums. WTF? Oh, and it uses the first name of the artist instead of the last.
Also, it has a problem finding artwork for the album covers most times (Beatles for example) so you have to find an image on the web and associate it. Because I hate looking at a list full of "question marks".

As far as snyc, I just put it all on since I use a 120 GB ipod, but having a smaller capacity is a hassle making special playlists. Also, I pretty sure when you re-sync, it only needs to rip the newly added stuff. So I thought it went pretty quick. :noidea:

I would think that it would just sync "add" new tracks, but it didn't yesterday for me. I just want them to add a "drag and drop" system which would be much better then what is currently in place, or, let the iPhone use any software to sync (which they will never do)

SteelMember
07-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Well, anyone using an MP3 player is not worried about audiophile sound (although, I challenge that 99.9% of people would not be able to tell the difference between a CD track and an mp3 at 320bit. :wink02:

I would agree. For the most part you can't. The thing I always thought was neat about the itunes is that when you rip a CD to the library (MP4 i believe) it uses the compressed file for the ipod sync, but you can still use the same file to burn a disc that is not MP3. So in essence you don't need to have 2 different formats of the same song in the library like you would in media player...Boo.

I would think that it would just sync "add" new tracks, but it didn't yesterday for me. I just want them to add a "drag and drop" system which would be much better then what is currently in place, or, let the iPhone use any software to sync (which they will never do)

If you set the pref to only burn a single playlist, you should be able to just drag and drop "recently added" folder to the playlist. :noidea:

As I said before, the real problem for me when syncing is using a smaller capacity ipod. Because then you have to pick and choose the songs from a complete library to be able to fit. I WANT THEM ALL! :laughing: It's nice having the entire collection with you at all times imo. :thumbsup:

Steelerstrength
07-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I didn't want to jack this thread, but according to the title this issue belongs.

The new 4G shuffle is a POS for anyone who works out! The voice over for all songs and playlists is pretty cool. It's also sweet to have 4G on such a small device that won't get in the way when you train hard. That's it for the compliments.

After apporx. 15 minutes the volume will max out without warning! It really sucks if you are in the middle of a heavy set and your eardrums are ready to burst! Then the remote becomes unresponsive. Un-plugging the cord, power off and on... the remote is done! There are currently over 30,000 posts on the Apple.com discussion board all from people who have the same problem.

Well, Apple has replaced my remote-earphones 4 times, at their cost. I even tried the new Apple Store here in SB. The "Genius" heard me out, then just ordered a new headset. He said he had not heard of the problem, so I kindly provided him with a print copy of the 30,000 posts.

The discussion board has successfully determined that the problem is moisture. When the user starts to sweat, the remote shorts out. Now I'm talking the least bit of sweat. People have tried electrical tape, epoxy, you name it! Nothing works!

You can add the cost and shipping of headset replacements for a $79 unit and imagine why they have yet to provide a solution?

I have gone back to my 1G shuffle because it's bullet-proof! The 4G should come with a warning, "Do not use while performing exercise or working out!"

Hammer67
07-23-2009, 07:11 AM
The iPhone is also notorious for being sensitive to moisture....

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
07-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I just wish I could afford the service plans for an iPhone. I feel so left out with my old brick phone.