PDA

View Full Version : Its a bird, its a plane...its Superteam.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Yea...I know...the title of the thread is dumb.

I gotta say...I love the team we have right now. A team that has brought us two Lombardies, and may bring us another.

But as a child of the 70's I still look back in awe at the talent level of the Steel Curtain era. Comparing the two teams is an excercise that has been done over and over again.

BUT....I was wondering....if I had the personnel from BOTH teams, what would my starting roster look like?

Here are the two rosters...
2008 roster...
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3572036
and the 1978 roster.
http://www.footballdb.com/teams/pittsburgh-steelers/roster/1978

So many possibilities....Under the premise that we are running a 3-4, what would your defense look like? Would you switch to a 4-3 with the talent at hand? Would you have Hines over Stallworth or Swann at WR? Does Ben start over Terry?

Fill in your players as if all of them were in their "prime"

OFFENSE

QB
FB
RB
WR #1
WR #2
TE
RT
RG
C
LG
LT

DEFENSE

LOLB
LILB
RILB
ROLB
NT
LDE
RDE
LCB
RCB
SS
FS

Sharkissle29
07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
unfortunately i am too young to really know how good the team was in 78, so I wont be able to participate...

steelreserve
07-20-2009, 01:06 PM
OFFENSE

QB - Big Ben
FB - Bleier
RB - Bettis (if he's allowed; Harris if he's not)
WR #1 - Swann
WR #2 - Ward
TE - Miller
RT - (entire offensive line would be from '70s)
RG
C
LG
LT

DEFENSE

LOLB - Ham
MLB - Lambert
ROLB - Harrison
DT - Hampton
DT - Greene
LDE - Greenwood
RDE - A. Smith
LCB - Taylor
RCB - Blount
SS - Polamalu
FS - Clark

I definitely think switching to the 4-3 would be the way to go if you could do this. Mainly because I don't think our current ILBs can be considered all-time greats, but we have a TON of linemen and pass rushers who are. That would let you use six of them instead of five, and have no weak links at all. (No offense to Farrior, but he would be the weakest link in a front seven like this.)

The hardest part of this was probably the defensive backfield, because other than Blount, I don't recall a hell of a lot about the old-timers. Polamalu was a no-brainer, but Taylor and Clark I'm not as sure. I don't think it's possible to play much better than Clark did last year though, so I'm pretty confident with that.

steelersfanman92
07-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree for the most part with steelreserve but I would Mike Wagner at FS and switch Ben with Terry. Besides those two changes I really like that list.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Here is mine...Keep in mind that this is players in their prime...their BEST years!!

OFFENSE

QB: Rothlisberger
FB: Bleier
RB: Harris
WR #1: Stallworth
WR #2: Ward
TE: Miller
RT: Pinney
RG: Mullins
C: Webster
LG: Davis
LT: Kolb

DEFENSE

LOLB: Ham
MLB: Lambert
ROLB: Harrison
DT: Greene
DT: Holmes (Very hard...but gets the edge on Hampton due to 4-3 scheme)
LDE: Greenwood
RDE: White
LCB: Taylor
RCB: Blount
FS: Shell (moved to FS so that Troy can play SS)
SS: Polamalu

steelreserve
07-20-2009, 01:52 PM

That's another one that was tough. Stallworth was my first instinct too, but then I thought that if you have one steady, workmanlike guy like Ward, it helps if you have a big-play guy to go with him. I admittedly was too young to remember Stallworth in his prime, so I can't say whether he had that kind of explosiveness. But I know Swann had a reputation for it, which is why I went with him.

mmalone
07-20-2009, 01:57 PM
OFFENSE

FB: Bettis
WR #1: Swann
TE: Grossman

DEFENSE

ROLB: Farrior
DT: Hampton
RDE: Harrison
FS: Shell / Clark

Indo
07-20-2009, 01:59 PM
I was thinking exactly the same thing about switching Shell over to SS so that he and Troy could terrorize the defensive backfield. Nothing against Clark, but don't forget that Shell busted the ribs on arguably the toughest RB in the game at the time...

Indo
07-20-2009, 02:02 PM
...And I might put Steve Courson in at guard---remember how he used to bury people on the sweeps and traps...

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-20-2009, 02:38 PM
That's another one that was tough. Stallworth was my first instinct too, but then I thought that if you have one steady, workmanlike guy like Ward, it helps if you have a big-play guy to go with him. I admittedly was too young to remember Stallworth in his prime, so I can't say whether he had that kind of explosiveness. But I know Swann had a reputation for it, which is why I went with him.

Very tough call...

As a kid I was enamoured by Swann, but with age and in retrospect I think that Stallworth was the better reciever and Swann was more athletic.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-20-2009, 02:43 PM
...And I might put Steve Courson in at guard---remember how he used to bury people on the sweeps and traps...

I think '78 was Steve Courson's rookie year...so your right ..he would have been on their roster...he just wasn't a starter at that point.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-20-2009, 02:48 PM
OFFENSE

FB: Bettis
WR #1: Swann
TE: Grossman

DEFENSE

ROLB: Farrior
DT: Hampton
RDE: Harrison
FS: Shell / Clark

Hey!!!! no cheating...gotta stick to the '78 and '08 rosters!!!! I love Jerome, but he has to go!!! :nono:

STEELtownHAVOX
07-20-2009, 03:11 PM
I was thinking exactly the same thing about switching Shell over to SS so that he and Troy could terrorize the defensive backfield. Nothing against Clark, but don't forget that Shell busted the ribs on arguably the toughest RB in the game at the time...

Which guy did he bust up?

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Which guy did he bust up?

December 3,1978.... Earl Campbell was spinning out of a tackle trying to get extra yards, when Shell came out of the backfield and hit Campbell at the line of scrimmage....Campbell left the game with a broken rib, and the Steelers beat the Oilers, 13-3,

We are not talking about a little RB either...it was Earl freakin' Campbell!!!!!

MasterOfPuppets
07-20-2009, 03:23 PM
what era will this team be playing in ? i mean lc greenwood may be a little on the smallish side and would be a better olber and 275 lb joe greene would have to move over to DE... on the other hand lamaar woodley would just blow up OT's back in the 70's ... polomalu would be the biggest db in the league if it were the.... hampton would need triple teamed

revefsreleets
07-20-2009, 03:25 PM
I was going to do this but I can't. GOTTA have Bettis with his buddy Tim "The Bus Driver" Lester blocking for him. I also gotta have Dirt Dawson and Woodson on my team.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-20-2009, 03:29 PM
what era will this team be playing in ? i mean lc greenwood may be a little on the smallish side and would be a better olber and 275 lb joe greene would have to move over to DE... on the other hand lamaar woodley would just blow up OT's back in the 70's ... polomalu would be the biggest db in the league if it were the.... hampton would need triple teamed

Its a space/time paradox thing....compare them to the talent of their day when they were in their prime.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-20-2009, 03:36 PM
I was going to do this but I can't. GOTTA have Bettis with his buddy Tim "The Bus Driver" Lester blocking for him. I also gotta have Dirt Dawson and Woodson on my team.

come here....:kick:

revefsreleets
07-20-2009, 03:44 PM
come here....:kick:

OK, well let me contribute this and then step back and see what happens:

I think if Terry Bradshaw, EXACTLY AS HE WAS circa 1976, played today, he could still start in the NFL. He was 6'3", 215, smart (called his own plays), had a strong arm, and was athletically gifted enough to get out of his own way. He'd EXCEL on a team like the Steelers.

steelreserve
07-20-2009, 04:30 PM

If you consider height/weight exactly by the numbers (as if the players were magically transported back in time as-is) you're pretty much stuck with all current players along both lines and probably most LB spots, for no other reason than the average player is a lot bigger now. All of our current O-line and D-line would be locks for the Hall of Fame if they stayed the same size but were going up against linemen that were 6'0" and 250 pounds.

Anyway, I guess my point is, you'd have to evaluate guys by relative talent in order to make it fair. If Joe Greene played today, he probably would be 300 pounds. A guy like Stapleton or Colon playing 30 years ago probably would be more in the 270 range. Anyway, that's the standard I'm imagining, where their heights and weights more or less even out.

Indo
07-20-2009, 04:34 PM
December 3,1978.... Earl Campbell was spinning out of a tackle trying to get extra yards, when Shell came out of the backfield and hit Campbell at the line of scrimmage....Campbell left the game with a broken rib, and the Steelers beat the Oilers, 13-3,

We are not talking about a little RB either...it was Earl freakin' Campbell!!!!!

And it was one hellacious smack! I was watching the game on TV and I swear you could hear the rib break!

Go watch some video on Cambell (is there any on Youtube? Not sure...). He was BIG and would just run tacklers over...Until he met Joe Greene in the backfield and, later in the game, Little Donnie Shell at the line---helmet to ribs, back when football was football and players were actually allowed to hit each other

BlastFurnace
07-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Here is mine...Keep in mind that this is players in their prime...their BEST years!!

OFFENSE

FB: Bleier
TE: Miller

DEFENSE

ROLB: Harrison
DT: Holmes (Very hard...but gets the edge on Hampton due to 4-3 scheme)
RDE: White
FS: Shell (moved to FS so that Troy can play SS)

I like your team, but one exception...Terry was the league MVP in 1978. I would go with Terry instead of Ben based upon that.

Ernie Holmes was not on the 1978 team. He left for Tampa Bay in 1977 and I think he was out of the league by 1978. Based upon that, Hampton was better than Furness was.

BlastFurnace
07-20-2009, 06:31 PM

It's the same way I feel about Carnell Lake.

StainlessStill
07-20-2009, 06:32 PM
And it was one hellacious smack! I was watching the game on TV and I swear you could hear the rib break!

Go watch some video on Cambell (is there any on Youtube? Not sure...). He was BIG and would just run tacklers over...Until he met Joe Greene in the backfield and, later in the game, Little Donnie Shell at the line---helmet to ribs, back when football was football and players were actually allowed to hit each other

There's been many wild hits since then, and even though I'm a youngen, Steelers football has been running through my blood all my life. In this household, if you don't know the hit that Joe Greene put on Earl Campbell, then that's it.

Speaking of hits to that same caliber, many can remember Greg Lloyd's hit on Brett Favre. Picked him up in the air, drove him 10 yards, and slammed his ass. Lloyd has a bad rep for that hit, but damn was it FOOTBALL.

But, the most recent hit that was just like "Holy shit! Did that just happen?" hit was Kendrell Bell, in 2002. The Steelers played the eventual Superbowl champs Tampa Bay on Dec. 23rd. (The Steelers were actually the last team to beat Tampa that year.) Anyway, Mike Alstott was one of those guys who rarely got jacked up. Tampa was threatening for a score, on the goaline, and their ace was obviously Alstott.

Alstott took the ball right up the gut, and Kendrell Bell COMES OUT OF NOWHERE and completely sledge-hammers Alstott. Not only was that the first time Alstott got hammered with the boom, but it caused him to fumble. One of the hardest hits in this decade was that Kendrell Bell hit on a pancaker like Alstott. Too bad injuries got to Bell, he was a helluva hitter.

StainlessStill
07-20-2009, 06:33 PM
It's the same way I feel about Carnell Lake.

I feel the same way, but the thing was comparing the 2008 to 1978. It's hard, I know because there have been too many maniacs that ran here in Pittsburgh. I'll think about this and put it down once I'm sure I like my roster.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-21-2009, 10:55 AM
I like your team, but one exception...Terry was the league MVP in 1978. I would go with Terry instead of Ben based upon that.

Ernie Holmes was not on the 1978 team. He left for Tampa Bay in 1977 and I think he was out of the league by 1978. Based upon that, Hampton was better than Furness was.

I used the roster from the '78 and '08 Super Bowl....Holmes was traded in 1978 after the Super Bowl and failed to make the Bucs team...he did however play three games for the Patriots in 1978 and then retired

mmalone
07-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Hey!!!! no cheating...gotta stick to the '78 and '08 rosters!!!! I love Jerome, but he has to go!!! :nono:

ooooohhh i meant Summers

4xSBChamps
07-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Speaking of hits to that same caliber, many can remember Greg Lloyd's hit on Brett Favre.

I seem to recall Lloyd hammering a Jet receiver, coming over the middle, and turning his lights-off, tapping the turf one-two-three with his hand as the receiver lay motionless, then waving his arms over his head, like a boxing knock-out, about 1990:
I always thought Lloyd woulda fit-in with the '70s Stillers very-well.

:wink02:

I'm curious how you could place Ray Pinney, a back-up most of his career (still getting plenty of playing-time when Kolb's neck & shoulder acted-up), ahead of Larry Brown at OT for the 1978 team:
graceful, quick, & athletic-enough to have played TE for several years before moving to tackle, at 288 pounds with a reputed 31" waist, NOBODY F'd with him.

I believe Courson was a rook in '77, and I can still see him, going to get his ankles taped at St. Vincent, his thigh-muscles bulging like opposed pistons as he walked:
the man could jump straight-up (no running-start), and dunk 2 basketballs, one with each hand, at 6'1" & 270+ pounds.

The thing people forget about Bradshaw (and many other QB of his era) was that they called their-own plays, something Noll was adamant about:
regardless of what people said about him, for a 'supposed-dummy', Bradshaw was the first QB to ever win 4 rings.

Bradshaw's overall athleticism & ability to turn busted-plays into big-gainers (see: 23 December 1972) is equal to Roethlisberger in this regard, but his play-calling would earn the nod at this point in each players career.

In today's era of single-back/3 WR formations, going with Stallworth, Swann, and Ward would give defense's fits, and allow Harris to gain the edge/corner on off-tackle plays against smaller DB:
interesting topic

BlastFurnace
07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
I used the roster from the '78 and '08 Super Bowl....Holmes was traded in 1978 after the Super Bowl and failed to make the Bucs team...he did however play three games for the Patriots in 1978 and then retired

I'm curious, what Super Bowl Roster from 1978 are you seeing Ernie on? According to Pro-Football Reference.com, he wasn't on our roster the entire 1978 Regular Season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HolmEr20.htm

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-21-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm curious, what Super Bowl Roster from 1978 are you seeing Ernie on? According to Pro-Football Reference.com, he wasn't on our roster the entire 1978 Regular Season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HolmEr20.htm

Let me clarify...looking back, I can see where what I wrote is confusing. My orginal intent was to take the best team from the '70's and combine it to the '08-09 team. In my humble opinion, that team was the 77-78 team. I think that pound for pound it was the best team that we ever fielded.

I couldn't figure out why you were confused until I went back and saw that the error was on my part....I should have specified and corrected "77-78 team and the 08-09 Super Bowl team".

BlastFurnace
07-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Let me clarify...looking back, I can see where what I wrote is confusing. My orginal intent was to take the best team from the '70's and combine it to the '08-09 team. In my humble opinion, that team was the 77-78 team. I think that pound for pound it was the best team that we ever fielded.

I couldn't figure out why you were confused until I went back and saw that the error was on my part....I should have specified and corrected "77-78 team and the 08-09 Super Bowl team".

LOL...I guess that's the trouble with communicating over e-mail/message boards. I figured we were talking a similar language since we have been fans of the team for about the same amount of time.

4xSBChamps
07-21-2009, 04:19 PM
My orginal intent was to take the best team from the '70's and combine it to the '08-09 team. In my humble opinion, that team was the 77-78 team. I think that pound for pound it was the best team that we ever fielded.

I think you are speaking about the 1976 team, which opened at 1-4, then reeled-off 9 wins (while permitting just 28 points during that run, 5 games being shut-outs) in becoming what I believe was the last team to allow less-than 10 points-per-game aginst over an entire season, trounced Baltimore 40-14 in the First Round, but lost Bleier & Harris to injuries, then lost 23-7 to Oakland in the AFC Championship the following week:
opening the discussion up to the 1976 team DOES permit Fats to be included, as-well-as OLB Andy Russell & C Ray Mansfield (who could double as a reserve place-kicker, too)

The '77 team struggled with injuries (Bradshaw broke his Left wrist, amongst others) and 'distractions' (contract-negotiations, as Noll called them), went 9-5 before losing to Denver in Round 1 (this may've been the game where Joe Greene had-enough of Paul Howard holding him, and winded Howard with a punch to the gut):
the '78 team went 14-2, got-revenge against Denver, 33-10, in the First Round, pummeled the Earlers 34-5 in the AFC Championship, then spanked the Crygirls 35-31 in SB XIII

Arthur S. Rooney himself said the '76 team was the best team he'd ever seen, and that only injuries could stop them