PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs tack an added cost to Steelers, Cowboys tickets

mesaSteeler
07-20-2009, 08:17 PM
(Admins I'm sure where to put this article so please feel free to move it where you like. I just that Steeler Fever fans would like to know what the cowardly little Chiefies are up to. - mesa)

Chiefs tack an added cost to Steelers, Cowboys tickets
http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/859

One of the NFL's most egregious marketing ploys is requiring season-ticket holders to buy two exhibition games at full price.

It's one of sports' great rip-offs, because in no way or manner do exhibition games resemble the real thing.

Now, the Chiefs are extending this practice to single-game tickets to certain games.

When single-game tickets go on sale to the public on July 31, anyone wanting to buy tickets to the Oct. 11 game against Dallas HAS to buy comparable tickets to the preseason game against the Houston Texans on Aug. 15.

Likewise, anyone wanting to buy tickets to see the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers on Nov. 22, MUST buy like seats to the exhibition game against Seattle on Aug. 29.

This procedure is designed to accomplish several things. Obviously, the Cowboys and Steelers will be big draws, and by forcing fans to buy the designated preseason games, the Chiefs can be assured of better crowds _ or at least better paid attendance _ than they'd normally get for those two exhibition games.

Tacking those exhibitions onto the Steelers and Cowboys games can help the Chiefs reach sellouts and avoid TV blackouts for the preseason games.

Also, the Cowboys and Steelers have huge national followings. The Steelers haven't played in KC since 2003; the Cowboys haven't been at Arrowhead since 1998 and may return for another six years if the NFL maintains its current scheduling format.

And remember how Arrowhead Stadium turned into Green Bay South when the Packers played in Kansas City a couple of years ago?

The Chiefs don't want that happening again. If it does, at least they'll get double the money from Dallas and Pittsburgh fans.

(Well after Romo stinks it up again this year I'm not so sure there will be that many bandwagon CowTurd fans there. However I know that the mighty Steeler Nation will be out in force. I'm sure the Nation will take over Arrowhead and will find a way to get tickets without paying their stupid surcharge. - mesa)

lilyoder6
07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
what they are doing is pretty shitty... but the cheifs do need all the help they can get in selling tickets

tony hipchest
07-20-2009, 08:28 PM
tomlin has never won in arrowhead. cowher was like 0-3.

must wine... can no lose any more games! :tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
07-20-2009, 09:35 PM
We will take this game, they are a baaaad team.

And what they are doing is pretty shitty. I hate when teams do that.

KeiselPower99
07-20-2009, 10:25 PM
The preseason tickets will be on ebay soon.

MasterOfPuppets
07-20-2009, 11:11 PM
or it could have the opposite effect and nobody buys the steeler , cowboy tickets...i know i wouldn't.... f*ck em , thats just a form of extortion

Galax Steeler
07-21-2009, 04:29 AM
Just another rip off.:coffee:

stlrtruck
07-21-2009, 08:35 AM
The Dolphins did this a few years ago but instead of buying pre-season tickets, you had to purchase tickets to an additional game during the season (in this case it was the Cardinals game).

ARKIESTEEL
07-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I bought mine and donated the preseason ticket to the USO

triphahn
07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
The cardinals did this last year for the cowboys game in Arizona. It was an attempt to keep cowboys fans away from the game. This would be the same. If you are a KC fan just means you have to see two games. If you are a Steelers fan means you have to buy a ticket to a KC preseason game and I just don't see too many of us wanting to see a KC preseason game or any other game for that matter unless they are playing the steelers.

Dino 6 Rings
07-21-2009, 12:20 PM

Oh man, hope it isn't a 4pm kick off! CAN NO LOSE!

revefsreleets
07-21-2009, 12:28 PM

Cowher beat the Chiefs in 92, 96, 98, 01 and 06.

SteelCityMan786
07-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Sounds like a San Diego Chargers tactic from a couple of years ago.

steelreserve
07-21-2009, 02:21 PM
what they are doing is pretty shitty... but the cheifs do need all the help they can get in selling tickets

Yeah ... maybe they should look into fielding a decent team for once.

HughC
07-21-2009, 03:26 PM
This is nothing new. Some only allow in-state ticket sales, for example. Chargers do it with Raider tickets, college teams do it to sell tickets to an early season crappy team, some baseball teams have two-tier pricing depending on the opponent. Free enterprise, supply-and-demand, all that.

If I put myself in their shoes and have a team that is having trouble selling tickets to certain games, or am attempting to avoid having a home game filled by fans of the opposing team, I can't say that I wouldn't try a similar tactic. Yeah, it stinks for Steeler (and Cowboy) fans but if you are an executive with the Chiefs responsible for ticket sales that is not your concern. Your priorities would be to sell out all games and maximize revenue, and once that's accomplished your next priority would be to have your own fans in those seats. Why should Kansas City have to do something that hurts their own team and benefits Steeler and Cowboy fans?

MasterOfPuppets
07-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Cowher beat the Chiefs in 92, 96, 98, 01 and 06.
the steelers are 9-5 in arrowhead.....

http://www.afc-north.com/statistics/pit_home.html

WeegiesWarriors
07-22-2009, 07:01 AM
I wonder if this could be construed as a form of discrimination. I can't sell a product for $5 to a white person, but then tell a black person the only way I'll sell you this is if you also buy this other product for $5.

Essentially... that is what they are doing. They are not making Bronco fans buy two tickets to the Broncos @ Cheifs game. They are discriminating specifically against Steeler and Cowboy fans.

Young, hot shot lawyers out there should test this out. Maybe you couldn't get it to apply, but worth the argument. Who knows where this could stop. Next thing would be Steeler fans would have to buy season tickets in order to see an away game.