PDA

View Full Version : Yet another top 10 list

LambertLunatic
07-23-2009, 09:36 AM
There's a current thread listing the top 10 Steelers of all time, and of course they're all Hall of Famers. I'm starting a list of the top 10 Steelers that have NOT been selected to the Hall of Fame yet. Current And past players allowede. Here's my list:

1 Bettis He'll obviously be in soon

2 Ward Not quite as good at recieving as Swann ans Stallworth, but because of his blocking, a more complete player.

3 Dawson How is he not in the Hall Of Fame yet?

4 Shell He'll probably never get inducted in the Hall, but he should be.

5 Lake A perennial Probowler. Even made the Pro Bowl as a corner in '95

6 L.C. Greenwood Yet another member of the 70s teams that was bypassed unjustly.

7 Troy I placed him a couple notches below Lake only because Lake done it longer.

8 Lloyd Only the best 3-4 LBer in Steeler history.

9 Fenaca The best O lineman in Steeler history that didn't play center.

10 Big Ben Yeah, I placed him 10th. He's only played 5 seasons, ans 1 of them wasn't even a good year.

Five of these guys are almost certain to get into the Hall of Fame. A few more should be. This list doesn't even include great players like Kirkland, Gary Anderson, Merriweather, Foster, Rocky, or Andy Russel. The amazing part is that all but 1 of these guys were drafted by the Steelers.

BlastFurnace
07-23-2009, 10:33 AM
There's a current thread listing the top 10 Steelers of all time, and of course they're all Hall of Famers. I'm starting a list of the top 10 Steelers that have NOT been selected to the Hall of Fame yet. Current And past players allowede. Here's my list:

1 Bettis He'll obviously be in soon

2 Ward Not quite as good at recieving as Swann ans Stallworth, but because of his blocking, a more complete player.

3 Dawson How is he not in the Hall Of Fame yet?

4 Shell He'll probably never get inducted in the Hall, but he should be.

5 Lake A perennial Probowler. Even made the Pro Bowl as a corner in '95

6 L.C. Greenwood Yet another member of the 70s teams that was bypassed unjustly.

7 Troy I placed him a couple notches below Lake only because Lake done it longer.

8 Lloyd Only the best 3-4 LBer in Steeler history.

9 Fenaca The best O lineman in Steeler history that didn't play center.

10 Big Ben Yeah, I placed him 10th. He's only played 5 seasons, ans 1 of them wasn't even a good year.

Five of these guys are almost certain to get into the Hall of Fame. A few more should be. This list doesn't even include great players like Kirkland, Gary Anderson, Merriweather, Foster, Rocky, or Andy Russel. The amazing part is that all but 1 of these guys were drafted by the Steelers.

Gary Anderson wasn't drafted by the Steelers. He was cut by the Bills and we signed him as a FA before the start of the 1982 season.

mulldog24
07-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Hard to argue with that list, But for me I would have to put Rocky Blier up their just for what the guy had to do to get back on to the field after vietnam. He is also one of my childhood heros and the reason I wore #20 in grade school football.

4xSBChamps
07-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Gary Anderson wasn't drafted by the Steelers. He was cut by the Bills and we signed him as a FA before the start of the 1982 season.

I believe 'em Stillers signed Anderson the morning of the '82 opener at Dallas, a Monday Night game on ABC, that Pittsburgh won.

as for adding Robert Patrick Bleier, Noll had tried every conceivable combination at RB with Harris in early '74 to get the running game chugging along (Steve Davis, Frenchy Fuqua, Preston Pearson, etc.), until a Monday Night Game (against the Falcs?), when he inserted Bleier as a last-resort, and his blocking-ability gave Harris numerous openings:
as-fundamentally-sound a player as you'd ever find (Left or Right-handed stance, proper techniques, pass-catching, willingness to sacrifice, etc.), Bleier's contributions shouldn't be over-looked in Stiller history

BlastFurnace
07-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I believe 'em Stillers signed Anderson the morning of the '82 opener at Dallas, a Monday Night game on ABC, that Pittsburgh won.

as for adding Robert Patrick Bleier, Noll had tried every conceivable combination at RB with Harris in early '74 to get the running game chugging along (Steve Davis, Frenchy Fuqua, Preston Pearson, etc.), until a Monday Night Game (against the Falcs?), when he inserted Bleier as a last-resort, and his blocking-ability gave Harris numerous openings:
as-fundamentally-sound a player as you'd ever find (Left or Right-handed stance, proper techniques, pass-catching, willingness to sacrifice, etc.), Bleier's contributions shouldn't be over-looked in Stiller history

I remember that game like it was yesterday. My best friend was a Dallas fan and all I heard was that Dallas doesn't lose in the first week. Gary Anderson didn't miss a single FG that night. Not to mention, he was dead center on each one of them.

Gnutella
07-23-2009, 03:26 PM
1. Dermontti Dawson
2. L.C. Greenwood
3. Donnie Shell
4. Alan Faneca
5. Hines Ward
6. Jerome Bettis
7. Greg Lloyd
8. Carnell Lake
9. Levon Kirkland
10. Jason Gildon

Texasteel
07-23-2009, 07:48 PM
The fact that Donnie Shell and L.C. Greenwood are not in the HOF should be embarrassing to the NFL.

Galax Steeler
07-24-2009, 05:31 AM
The fact that Donnie Shell and L.C. Greenwood are not in the HOF should be embarrassing to the NFL.

Agreed they should have been a lock to get in.

LambertLunatic
07-24-2009, 07:06 AM

Even more so, it's an embarrasment that Dawson isn't in.

redst3
07-24-2009, 07:34 AM
can barely believe LC got cut by the Steelers at the end of his career (as did Greg Lloyd). Its a business, after all.

BlastFurnace
07-24-2009, 08:20 AM
can barely believe LC got cut by the Steelers at the end of his career (as did Greg Lloyd). Its a business, after all.

If the WFL had not folded in 1975, LC was going to leave us after the 1975 Superbowl against the Vikings. He had signed with the Birmingham Vulcans to play for them starting in 1976. I found this out while watching the end of the Steelers vs. Vikings Superbowl. The announcers said that the Steelers are only losing one starter next year...and stated that LC had signed with the rival league.

KeiselPower99
07-24-2009, 10:16 AM

Politics. Alot of voters think there is too many Steelers from the 70s already in. It is bull.