PDA

View Full Version : Obama says police acted 'stupidly' in (Gates) arrest

Fire Haley
07-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Obama plays the race card during Healthcare speech?
He's losing it.

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama said Wednesday that police acted "stupidly" in the arrest of prominent black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. and that despite racial progress blacks and Hispanics are still singled out unfairly for arrest.

"This still haunts us," Obama said.

Obama called Gates a friend, and said he doesn't know all the facts of the case. Nonetheless, Obama said, anyone would have been angry if treated the way Gates claims police in Cambridge, Mass., treated him. Gates, a Harvard University professor, claims he was arrested in his home after showing ID to police who responded to a report of a possible burglary.

"Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof he was in own home," Obama said during a prime-time news conference that otherwise focused on the health care debate.

Gates' arrest followed a report of a possible burglary. A woman apparently saw Gates force the front door and called police. Police came and demanded that Gates show identification. Gates was arrested shortly afterward for alleged disorderly conduct, a charge that was dropped Tuesday.

"What I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately," Obama said. "That's just a fact."

That disparity is a reminder that "race remains a factor in the society," Obama said.

The nation's first black president held himself up as testament to what he called the "incredible progress" minorities have achieved.

The police sergeant accused of racism after he arrested Gates insisted Wednesday that he won't apologize.

Police say Gates at first refused to display ID and then accused the officer of racism.

http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/2009/07/22/D99JRFHO0_us_obama_harvard_scholar

---------------------------------

"All cops are racist!"

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/3b97c71298_3f14b91aee_gates9234829480.jpg

revefsreleets
07-23-2009, 10:39 AM
He was arrested for disorderly conduct, NOT burglary. Ergo, when he resisted the cops and didn't comply when they asked for his ID, they arrested him...just as they should and would with just about any other person.

Definite race card...but I guess he'll call in any chit he has now to get this POS healthcare abortion passed...

Hammer Of The GODS
07-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Did any of you really think that because there is now a black president that the race card was going to disappear?

In this country, if a person of color farts a white person can't even say that it stinks without being labeled a racist!

The race card will be played until a burning rock streaks across the sky and brings us sweet relief from all the bullshyte!

Godfather
07-23-2009, 11:20 AM
He was arrested for disorderly conduct, NOT burglary. Ergo, when he resisted the cops and didn't comply when they asked for his ID, they arrested him...just as they should and would with just about any other person.

Gates proved who he was. That's why he wasn't arrested for burglary.

Disorderly conduct is just a very vague, general offense cops can use on anyone they don't like.

SteelCityMan786
07-23-2009, 11:28 AM
The race card didn't die in the civil rights movement, more then likely it stays for good.

Fire Haley
07-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Read the arrest report:

http://www.amnation.com/vfr/Police%20report%20on%20Gates%20arrest.PDF

“I’ll talk to YO MOMMA outside!”

ha ha!

Godfather
07-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Read the arrest report:

http://www.amnation.com/vfr/Police%20report%20on%20Gates%20arrest.PDF

“I’ll talk to YO MOMMA outside!”

ha ha!

Yeah, Gates acted like a dick, no disputing that.

But he acted like a dick on his own property. All he was really guilty of was annoying someone with a badge.

SteelersinCA
07-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Not that I believe everything a police report but this one looks like Gates played the race card from the get go. That being said, as a white dude, I have no idea what it feels like to be investigated for breaking into your own home.

revefsreleets
07-23-2009, 11:44 AM
This would never, ever happen to me. You know why? Not because I'm white, but because I would have simply and quietly cooperated with the police. He also uttered the stupidest phrase in the English language: "Do you know who I am?" (as in "Do you know who you're messin' with?") Only dickheads and asshats EVER say something like that.

fansince'76
07-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Not that I believe everything a police report but this one looks like Gates played the race card from the get go. That being said, as a white dude, I have no idea what it feels like to be investigated for breaking into your own home.

As a white dude myself, I was once detained in the parking lot of a Phillips 66 gas station for no other reason than I had the same name of someone they were looking for, which they ascertained by my license plate (why they ran my plate in the first place is beyond me). I was completely cooperative and didn't act like a belligerent ass about it and I also wasn't apologized to for my inconvenience for their mistake. Besides, what the hell is something like THIS being brought up for in a presidential news conference in the first place?

Dino 6 Rings
07-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Besides, what the hell is something like THIS being brought up for in a presidential news conference in the first place?

big freaking BINGO!

Why mention it at all on a press conference about Health Care?

Fire Haley
07-23-2009, 12:45 PM
It was a set-up - a message - he wants that "White Guilt" to rub off - how dare you oppose anything I say.

"How dare you shoot down my Healthcare plan. All you racists want to destroy my Presidency."

Fire Haley
07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Yeah, Gates acted like a dick, no disputing that.

But he acted like a dick on his own property. All he was really guilty of was annoying someone with a badge.

I've had to break into my own house once - I called the sheriffs so they could come and watch, showed them my ID, that it really was my house and asked them if they wouldn't mind sticking around...just to prevent an incident like this.

KeiselPower99
07-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Notice white people never bring up race in anything? I actually was called a racist the other day for having a Impeach Obama sticker on my truck. And guess who played the race card?? An older African American lady who I know for a fact is in the NAACP.

Fire Haley
07-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Gates is lucky it was the Cambridge police.

Mouthing off to the cops is stupid, no matter how important and privileged you think you are.

In Florida they’d have tasered him as soon as he got belligerent , before he even got to the porch, regardless of race, creed, color or sexual preference

steelreserve
07-23-2009, 01:25 PM
It doesn't sound to me like this had anything to do with racial profiling at all. It's pretty simple: If you're in plain sight breaking down the front door of ANY house, don't be surprised if the cops show up, no matter what race you are. Also, arguing with the cops only works if you're calm and matter-of-fact -- loud and indignant has about zero chance of doing you any good. You don't have to be a fricking Harvard professor to know that.

Sounds like the kind of thing that could've been sorted out in a few minutes, but this guy wanted to pick a fight instead. Screw him.

steelreserve
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
The nation's first black president held himself up as testament to what he called the "incredible progress" minorities have achieved.

I know -- I never thought I'd see the United States have a black president.

Then again, I never thought I'd see the United States have a communist president either.

Ba-ZING!

Fire Haley
07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Imagine that...

Obama’s Popularity Falling — But Not Among Blacks

The daily presidential tracking poll for Rasmussen Reports showed that Barack Obama no longer has the job performance approval of a majority of Americans.

His overall approval rating was down to an even 50 percent. Released on the same day was a demographic breakdown of that rating:

only 41 percent of white Americans approve of the job he’s doing, while 97 percent of blacks approve and 58 percent of all other ethnicities combined approve.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/demographic_notes_barack_obama_approval_index

xfl2001fan
07-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Imagine that...

The daily presidential tracking poll for Rasmussen Reports showed that Barack Obama no longer has the job performance approval of a majority of Americans.

His overall approval rating was down to an even 50 percent. Released on the same day was a demographic breakdown of that rating:

only 41 percent of white Americans approve of the job he’s doing, while 97 percent of blacks approve and 58 percent of all other ethnicities combined approve.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/demographic_notes_barack_obama_approval_index

The problem with these numbers involves finding out where they were polled at. If it's in some "hood" where there is a bunch of poverty, crime and a large population of blacks...and they hear "free healthcare"...of course they'll be happy. The illegal aliens are probably also happy with the job he's doing...because they're getting even more out of this than nearly anyone else is.

KeiselPower99
07-23-2009, 02:16 PM
I wonder if ACORN did the polling?

HometownGal
07-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Not that I believe everything a police report but this one looks like Gates played the race card from the get go.

BINGO! :thumbsup:

Who didn't know that Obaaaaaaama would find fault with the way the (white) officers handled Gates and then publicly play the race card? :doh:

3 years and 5 months to go, thank God.

fansince'76
07-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Imagine that...

I have ten bucks that says if this guy winds up not winning reelection in '12, it'll be because of "racism." Any takers?

revefsreleets
07-23-2009, 03:44 PM
97 percent amongst blacks?

Is that correct? If so, that's astounding...woah, just read that, and it's among black VOTERS! Not ACORN dupes or random poor African-Americans, but registered black voters.

HometownGal
07-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I have ten bucks that says if this guy winds up not winning reelection in '12, it'll be because of "racism." Any takers?

That's a guarantee.

Is that correct? If so, that's astounding...woah, just read that, and it's among black VOTERS! Not ACORN dupes or random poor African-Americans, but registered black voters.

Obaaaaama could be an ax murderer and the AA's would defend and support him. No matter how much more he fooks up this country, he's a God in their eyes for one reason and one reason only. :shake02:

xfl2001fan
07-23-2009, 03:53 PM
97 percent amongst blacks?

Again...97% of Polled Blacks. It's all about location and demographics. If you do the polls in a place chock full of welfare recipients...and they hear about free healthcare...they're more than likely to be excited at the prospect and approve.

There's also a matter of which questions were asked...and how they were asked.

Godfather
07-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Notice white people never bring up race in anything?

That just might be the dumbest statement I've ever seen.

The_WARDen
07-23-2009, 03:57 PM
hopefully, the racist cops are fired.

revefsreleets
07-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Again...97% of Polled Blacks. It's all about location and demographics. If you do the polls in a place chock full of welfare recipients...and they hear about free healthcare...they're more than likely to be excited at the prospect and approve.

There's also a matter of which questions were asked...and how they were asked.

Polled REGISTERED voters. Makes a big difference...

xfl2001fan
07-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Whether registered or not...

POLLED is the word that needs to be stressed here. Maybe they discounted the non-register votes after the fact once they realized the number was more pedestian. Who actually ran the poll? Where did they run the poll at? What questions were asked...and what answers were available?

Fire Haley
07-23-2009, 04:28 PM
ho ho ho!

Watch this blow up in their faces.

Cop who arrested black scholar is profiling expert

The white police sergeant criticized by President Barack Obama for arresting black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. in his Massachusetts home is a police academy expert on racial profiling.

Cambridge Sgt. James Crowley has taught a class on racial profiling for five years at the Lowell Police Academy after being hand-picked for the job by former police Commissioner Ronny Watson, who is black, said Academy Director Thomas Fleming.

"I have nothing but the highest respect for him as a police officer. He is very professional and he is a good role model for the young recruits in the police academy," Fleming told The Associated Press on Thursday.

Obama has said the Cambridge officers "acted stupidly" in arresting Gates last week when they responded to his house after a woman reported a suspected break-in.

Crowley, 42, has maintained he did nothing wrong and has refused to apologize, as Gates has demanded.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090723/ap_on_re_us/us_harvard_scholar_disorderly

-------------------------

Police union condemns Obama's comments

President Obama's Wednesday night criticism of Cambridge, Mass., police has drawn a rebuke from the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP).

Jim Pascoe, executive director of the FOP's legislative office, noted that before Obama made the remarks, the president acknowledged that he was only vaguely familiar with what happened.

"That being the case, it's unfortunate that he chose to say anything," Pascoe said. "He wasn't there, and he doesn't know what happened."

Pascoe said it appears that Gates was the "provocateur" because he called Officer James Crowley a racist instead of producing identification as requested.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/police-union-condemns-obamas-stupidly-comments-2009-07-23.html

fansince'76
07-23-2009, 04:31 PM
"That being the case, it's unfortunate that he chose to say anything," Pascoe said. "He wasn't there, and he doesn't know what happened."

It also had NOTHING to do with the purpose of the press conference either, which was to pimp his healthcare plan.

Fire Haley
07-23-2009, 04:39 PM
...it gets better...

Doctors demand Obama apology

Pitching government control, President falsely accuses doctors of conspiring to make children sicker

WASHINGTON -- Dr. Richard S. Kerr, M.D., a West Virginia Libertarian Party member and a retired doctor with 36 years experience, asked President Barack Obama Thursday to apologize for comments made in his Wednesday night press conference accusing doctors of conspiring to make children sicker for profits.

“President Obama should be ashamed of himself for trying to scare Americans into supporting his government takeover of medicine by falsely accusing doctors of making children sicker. I have never heard a more disgusting or blatantly phony conspiracy theory. We treat our patients with the respect, care and concern you will never find in Obama’s government-run rationed care bureaucracy,” said Dr. Kerr.

“On behalf of my colleagues, I respectfully ask President Obama to apologize for such a slanderous lie and ask him to stop engaging in sickening conspiracy theories to push his government-run scheme. These cheap scare tactics are beneath the dignity of the office of The President and perfectly illustrate why more and more Americans are losing faith in Barack Obama.”

“For President Obama’s information, pediatricians do not perform tonsillectomies. If he doesn’t know that, then he has no business centrally planning your family’s health care,” said Dr. Kerr.

http://www.lp.org/news/press-releases/doctors-demand-obama-apology

revefsreleets
07-23-2009, 04:54 PM
This must be similar to what it was like to watch the Nixon Presidency unravel...

Steelerstrength
07-23-2009, 05:40 PM
After reading the Police Report, for the short time it was posted, then hearing the angles from Professor Gates, I have my own opinion.

From what I gather, Professor Gates had a chip on his shoulder from his knowledge and experience as it pertains to Racism. And, I don't believe Officer Crowley was or is a racist.

However, after determining Professor Gates was indeed the owner of the home, Officer Crowleys job is done. Professor Gates was more than rude and insulting, but that is not against the law, especially in his own home.

Why did Officer Crowley ask Professor Gates to step outside to further discuss when the Professor was behaving badly? From the report, Officer Crowley states he arrested Professor Gates for "loud and tumultuous behavior" and causing people to gather on the sidewalk to see the spectacle "...while appearing surprised and alarmed." Officer Crowley ascended the stairs to the porch to go after Professor Gates and cuff him for arrest.

Professor Gates is a 58 year old man who requires a cane to walk. Obviously Officer Crowley was not afraid, nor did he state so in his report.

In summary, Professor Gates was loud and insulting, to Officer Crowley, in his own home. The non-threatening behavior was not cause for arrest. Both Professor Gates and Officer Crowley acted inappropriately, in my opinion. From the report, Officer Crowley was performing his job well until he decided to stay in the front yard and engage in the banter. He then made the mistake of arresting Professor Gates based upon the perception of the people outside. Officer Crowley had no problem walking outside of the house to evade the verbal lashing from Professor Gates, why didn't he just continue on his way?

The Mayor of Cambridge has personally apologized to Professor Gates for the actions of Officer Crowley. I think Professor Gates should apologize to Officer Crowley for calling him a racist.

Godfather
07-23-2009, 05:42 PM
After reading the Police Report, for the short time it was posted, then hearing the angles from Professor Gates, I have my own opinion.

From what I gather, Professor Gates had a chip on his shoulder from his knowledge and experience as it pertains to Racism. And, I don't believe Officer Crowley was or is a racist.

However, after determining Professor Gates was indeed the owner of the home, Officer Crowleys job is done. Professor Gates was more than rude and insulting, but that is not against the law, especially in his own home.

Why did Officer Crowley ask Professor Gates to step outside to further discuss when the Professor was behaving badly? From the report, Officer Crowley states he arrested Professor Gates for "loud and tumultuous behavior" and causing people to gather on the sidewalk to see the spectacle "...while appearing surprised and alarmed." Officer Crowley ascended the stairs to the porch to go after Professor Gates and cuff him for arrest.

Professor Gates is a 58 year old man who requires a cane to walk. Obviously Officer Crowley was not afraid, nor did he state so in his report.

In summary, Professor Gates was loud and insulting, to Officer Crowley, in his own home. The non-threatening behavior was not cause for arrest. Both Professor Gates and Officer Crowley acted inappropriately, in my opinion. From the report, Officer Crowley was performing his job well until he decided to stay in the front yard and engage in the banter. He then made the mistake of arresting Professor Gates based upon the perception of the people outside. Officer Crowley had no problem walking outside of the house to evade the verbal lashing from Professor Gates, why didn't he just continue on his way?

The Mayor of Cambridge has personally apologized to Professor Gates for the actions of Officer Crowley. I think Professor Gates should apologize to Officer Crowley for calling him a racist.

Very good post.

It was a case of douchebaggery by everyone.

Fire Haley
07-23-2009, 05:44 PM
This must be similar to what it was like to watch the Nixon Presidency unravel...

kersplat!

Reid: No health care vote in Senate until fall

Obama health plan delayed — trouble ahead?

By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON – The top Democrat in the Senate says lawmakers won't vote until after August on health care, a blow to President Barack Obama's ambitious timetable.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told reporters Thursday the Finance Committee will act on its portion of the bill before Congress' monthlong break. Then Reid will merge that bill with separate legislation already passed by the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.

The Nevada Democrat says the decision to delay a vote was made Wednesday night in the hopes of getting a final bipartisan bill.

Obama had pressed for the full House and Senate to vote on respective bills before the August recess. The news came just hours before the president's fresh appeal for a health care overhaul at an appearance in Ohio.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090723/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_overhaul

revefsreleets
07-23-2009, 05:48 PM
But, again, herein lies the rub:

Just respect the law officers. That's all. If Gates would have been respectful instead of belligerent, we'd have heard nothing about this case. Furthermore, GATES made the "mistake" of stepping outside to "discuss" the matter further. It's his home. Why do that? I contend it was simply to make a point or statement, and race was the motivation.

And Obama, ADMITTEDLY not knowing the facts, commented, and sided with his race baiting friend. Not surprising, when you consider the continual level of rank amateurism continually displyed by this President...

Dino 6 Rings
07-23-2009, 05:55 PM
CLEVELAND (AP) - President Barack Obama said Thursday he was surprised by all the hubbub over his comments that a white police officer in Cambridge, Mass., had acted "stupidly" in arresting a prominent black scholar for disorderly conduct. The president didn't take back his words, but he allowed that he understood the sergeant who made the arrest is an "outstanding police officer."
"I have to say I am surprised by the controversy surrounding my statement," Obama said in an interview with ABC News, "because I think it was a pretty straightforward comment that you probably don't need to handcuff a guy, a middle-aged man who uses a cane, who's in his own home."

day earlier, Obama had been asked at a prime-time news conference whether race played a role in the arrest of Harvard's Henry Louis Gates Jr. at his home last week.

A neighbor had reported a possible burglary when Gates and a friend were seen trying to force open his front door, which was jammed. By the time police arrived, Gates was inside and showed proof of his residency. But he did not obey the officer's order to step outside, and after words were exchanged, he was arrested.

Obama said he didn't know all the facts but that the police "acted stupidly" by citing Gates for disorderly conduct. The charge was quickly dropped. The president did not fault the actions of Gates, who he said is a friend.

In Thursday's interview with ABC, Obama said he had "extraordinary respect for the difficulties of the job that police officers do."

"And my suspicion is that words were exchanged between the police officer and Mr. Gates and that everybody should have just settled down and cooler heads should have prevailed," he said.

Obama added that with all the problems facing the nation, "it doesn't make sense to arrest a guy in his own home if he's not causing a serious disturbance."

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs, questioned about the flap as the president headed for two health care events in Cleveland, stressed that Obama "was not calling the officer stupid." He said Obama felt that "at a certain point the situation got far out of hand." Gibbs said Obama has not spoken with Gates since the incident.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D99KCSR83&show_article=1

KeiselPower99
07-23-2009, 06:38 PM
...it gets better...

Doctors demand Obama apology

Pitching government control, President falsely accuses doctors of conspiring to make children sicker

WASHINGTON -- Dr. Richard S. Kerr, M.D., a West Virginia Libertarian Party member and a retired doctor with 36 years experience, asked President Barack Obama Thursday to apologize for comments made in his Wednesday night press conference accusing doctors of conspiring to make children sicker for profits.

“President Obama should be ashamed of himself for trying to scare Americans into supporting his government takeover of medicine by falsely accusing doctors of making children sicker. I have never heard a more disgusting or blatantly phony conspiracy theory. We treat our patients with the respect, care and concern you will never find in Obama’s government-run rationed care bureaucracy,” said Dr. Kerr.

“On behalf of my colleagues, I respectfully ask President Obama to apologize for such a slanderous lie and ask him to stop engaging in sickening conspiracy theories to push his government-run scheme. These cheap scare tactics are beneath the dignity of the office of The President and perfectly illustrate why more and more Americans are losing faith in Barack Obama.”

“For President Obama’s information, pediatricians do not perform tonsillectomies. If he doesn’t know that, then he has no business centrally planning your family’s health care,” said Dr. Kerr.

http://www.lp.org/news/press-releases/doctors-demand-obama-apology

Someone with a backbone. As for the Professer anyone mention that there was also a black cop and a latino cop with the white guy???

stillers4me
07-23-2009, 06:50 PM
I thought the Clintons were low class until I got a few months of this guy.

Steelerstrength
07-23-2009, 06:53 PM
As for the Professer anyone mention that there was also a black cop and a latino cop with the white guy???

As per articles, and the Police Report, Officer Crowley called the Harvard Police when he was provided with identification. Some stories have mentioned as many as eight police officers showed up in Professor Gates front yard, as well as a Harvard Maintenance employee to fix the door. You wonder why people gathered?

Fire Haley
07-24-2009, 07:33 AM
But, again, herein lies the rub:

Just respect the law officers. That's all. If Gates would have been respectful instead of belligerent, we'd have heard nothing about this case....

that reminded me of this:

Chris Rock - How not to get your ass kicked by the police

(caution - lots of bad words - but funny as hell!)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CzFEzzXbzso&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CzFEzzXbzso&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

HometownGal
07-24-2009, 07:59 AM
The Obaaaaaama presidency . . . KA BOOM!

http://thedemocraticdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/nuclear-explosion.jpg

revefsreleets
07-24-2009, 09:51 AM
I see Obama did a nice job of doing what he does best: Backpeddling and flip-flopping.

KeiselPower99
07-24-2009, 10:07 AM
There was a black guy on O Rielly last night defending the professor saying the cop didnt follow procedure and let personal feelings interfere. In the police report it tells that the reason the neighbor called the police was there was a previous break in at his place. And I dont know about you but if you smart off a cop and cause a scene aint that grounds for arrest? It is here. You NEVER tell a cop Ill see your mama outside. This guy has been using the race card for too long and pulled it out here and bam its national headlines. Also for the President saying that blacks and latinos are targeted by plice more while its a matter of statistics. Rememer the old saying it only takes one bad apple to ruin the crowd. I hate to say it but I really think having Obama as president is adding to the racial tension in this country.

X-Terminator
07-24-2009, 11:11 AM
There was a black guy on O Rielly last night defending the professor saying the cop didnt follow procedure and let personal feelings interfere. In the police report it tells that the reason the neighbor called the police was there was a previous break in at his place. And I dont know about you but if you smart off a cop and cause a scene aint that grounds for arrest? It is here. You NEVER tell a cop Ill see your mama outside. This guy has been using the race card for too long and pulled it out here and bam its national headlines. Also for the President saying that blacks and latinos are targeted by plice more while its a matter of statistics. Rememer the old saying it only takes one bad apple to ruin the crowd. I hate to say it but I really think having Obama as president is adding to the racial tension in this country.

OK, hold it!

Now I'm not a fan of Obama in the least, but his presidency in and of itself only adds racial tension to those who already feel that blacks belong on the plantation picking cotton. There are still PLENTY of those types around, no matter how much people want to bury their heads in the sand. Also, the term "driving while black" is real. No, it doesn't happen as often as people think, but it DOES happen. Hell, many times when I'm out with friends (and HTG can attest to this), I get the hairy eyeball from some white people, to the point where HTG and I joke about it all the time. I don't look like a thug, I don't act like a thug, and I don't talk like a thug, but yet, I still get "those looks." Please do not act like this stuff does not exist.

Having said that, I wholeheartedly agree that the race card is played out. Not everything that happens in this country is a race issue, not everyone who criticizes any black person is a racist - and that applies to Obama as well. And it's about time black people realized that. I agree that constantly playing the race card only adds to the racial tension, to the point that we risk people who otherwise would not have a racist bone in their bodies get fed up with it, and in some instances change their world-view. I doubt anyone wants that to happen. It is especially egregious for Obama to say anything about the officer's conduct - that shows a complete lack of tact and is unbecoming of a man who holds the highest office in the land.

Fire Haley
07-24-2009, 11:56 AM
uh-oh, musta got too hot in the kitchen - Obama backs off defending Gates

Obama eases stance on arrest of black Harvard professor

He acknowledges 'the difficulties of the job that police officers do' and suggests 'cooler heads should have prevailed' on both sides in the Cambridge, Mass., incident that he commented on Wednesday.

Reporting from Washington -- A day after saying that police "acted stupidly" in arresting a black Harvard University professor in his own home, President Obama appeared to soften his stance Thursday, spreading the blame more equally between the police and the arrested man.

But Thursday, the president praised police officers and couched the incident as an unfortunate clash of tempers.

"I have extraordinary respect for the difficulties of the job that police officers do," Obama told ABC News on Thursday in an interview for "Nightline." "And my suspicion is that words were exchanged between the police officer and Mr. Gates, and that everybody should have just settled down and cooler heads should have prevailed."

Obama also called the arresting officer in Cambridge, Mass., Sgt. James Crowley, an "outstanding police officer."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-gates24-2009jul24,0,2433029.story

revefsreleets
07-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Leads me to believe he has new information, maybe the 9/11 call or tapes from a cruiser or something...something that shows more culpability from Gates.

KeiselPower99
07-24-2009, 12:03 PM
OK, hold it!

Now I'm not a fan of Obama in the least, but his presidency in and of itself only adds racial tension to those who already feel that blacks belong on the plantation picking cotton. There are still PLENTY of those types around, no matter how much people want to bury their heads in the sand. Also, the term "driving while black" is real. No, it doesn't happen as often as people think, but it DOES happen. Hell, many times when I'm out with friends (and HTG can attest to this), I get the hairy eyeball from some white people, to the point where HTG and I joke about it all the time. I don't look like a thug, I don't act like a thug, and I don't talk like a thug, but yet, I still get "those looks." Please do not act like this stuff does not exist.

Having said that, I wholeheartedly agree that the race card is played out. Not everything that happens in this country is a race issue, not everyone who criticizes any black person is a racist - and that applies to Obama as well. And it's about time black people realized that. I agree that constantly playing the race card only adds to the racial tension, to the point that we risk people who otherwise would not have a racist bone in their bodies get fed up with it, and in some instances change their world-view. I doubt anyone wants that to happen. It is especially egregious for Obama to say anything about the officer's conduct - that shows a complete lack of tact and is unbecoming of a man who holds the highest office in the land.

I understand that it does exist Im not turning a blind eye to it. I agree with ya 1000% on everything you just said.. :tt03:

Fire Haley
07-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Leads me to believe he has new information, maybe the 9/11 call or tapes from a cruiser or something...something that shows more culpability from Gates.

Nope, nothing like that - somebody turned up the heat...

Obama calls white policeman

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama has called the white policeman who arrested black Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. The president says he believes the sergeant to be an outstanding police officer.

The president said Friday that he continues to think both the officer, Sgt. James Crowley, and Gates overreacted during the incident — but Obama also faulted his own comments.

Making an impromptu appearance at the daily White House briefing, Obama told reporters: "I could've calibrated those words differently."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g4TAbX5fIxkXoj9R_-Uldl6a8jygD99L06280

Fire Haley
07-24-2009, 05:17 PM
The Obaaaaaama presidency . . . KA BOOM!

More like ker-splat!

Democrats see healthcare deal hopes collapse

WASHINGTON, July 24 (Reuters) - The leader of a group of Democratic fiscal conservatives in the House of Representatives said talks on a U.S. healthcare overhaul bill fell apart on Friday and that he saw no possibility of a deal now.

Representative Mike Ross said that "after over a week of very intense and what I believe to be good faith negotiations ... it pretty much fell apart this afternoon."

The development leaves House Democratic leaders with a decision on whether to take the politically risky step of bringing to the full House for a vote next week a $1 trillion healthcare overhaul plan that lacks the support of an important voting block.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N24424750.htm

fansince'76
07-24-2009, 07:53 PM
The president said Friday that he continues to think both the officer, Sgt. James Crowley, and Gates overreacted during the incident — but Obama also faulted his own comments.

Making an impromptu appearance at the daily White House briefing, Obama told reporters: "I could've calibrated those words differently."

Or you could have just not said anything about it to begin with, as the subject of the news conference wasn't even about that or, more widely, race relations in general. :dang:

Texasteel
07-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Or you could have just not said anything about it to begin with, as the subject of the news conference wasn't even about that or, more widely, race relations in general. :dang:

And some said the last president couldn't control his mouth.

Preacher
07-25-2009, 12:41 AM
More like ker-splat!

Democrats see healthcare deal hopes collapse

WASHINGTON, July 24 (Reuters) - The leader of a group of Democratic fiscal conservatives in the House of Representatives said talks on a U.S. healthcare overhaul bill fell apart on Friday and that he saw no possibility of a deal now.

Representative Mike Ross said that "after over a week of very intense and what I believe to be good faith negotiations ... it pretty much fell apart this afternoon."

The development leaves House Democratic leaders with a decision on whether to take the politically risky step of bringing to the full House for a vote next week a $1 trillion healthcare overhaul plan that lacks the support of an important voting block.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N24424750.htm

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Fire Haley
07-25-2009, 12:46 AM
And some said the last president couldn't control his mouth.

He must really be getting pounded in the polls ... HA!

Obama rushes to quell racial uproar he helped fire

Associated Press

WASHINGTON – Knocked off stride by a racial uproar he helped stoke, President Barack Obama hastened Friday to tamp down the controversy. Obama, who had said Cambridge, Mass., police "acted stupidly" in arresting black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr., declared the white arresting officer was a good man and invited him and the professor to the White House for a beer.

Obama conceded his words had been ill-chosen, but he stopped short of a public apology. He personally telephoned both Gates and Sgt. James Crowley, hoping to end the rancorous back-and-forth over what had transpired and what Obama had said about it. Trying to lighten the situation, he even commiserated with Crowley about reporters on his lawn.

"This has been ratcheting up, and I obviously helped to contribute ratcheting it up," Obama said of the racial controversy. "I want to make clear that in my choice of words, I think I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department and Sgt. Crowley specifically. And I could've calibrated those words differently."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_harvard_scholar

Preacher
07-25-2009, 12:50 AM
He must really be getting pounded in the polls ... HA!

Yep. He has last 6 points in the last month alone, and that is according to real clear politics (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html).

St33lersguy
07-25-2009, 08:44 AM
The policeman did his job, it's the professor screwed up. Obama's comments were racially motivated

Shoes
07-25-2009, 11:47 AM
I thought the Clintons were low class until I got a few months of this guy.

BINGO!

Fire Haley
07-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Maybe the cop really is stupid. He still supports Obama.

TackleMeBen
07-25-2009, 03:55 PM
since Obama said the police acted 'stupidly' in the arrest of Mr.Gates, can I say that Pres. Obama is acting 'stupidly' with my tax dollars???

Fire Haley
07-26-2009, 12:04 PM
The honeymoon is over.

Zogby Poll: President Obama's Job Approval Falls to 48%

Survey finds 51% believe U.S. on wrong track, while 41% say the nation is headed in right direction

UTICA, New York—A new Zogby Interactive survey shows a slight decline in President Barack Obama’s job approval, with 48% of likely voters now approving of the job he is doing as president, down from 51% who said the same in an interactive/telephone hybrid poll conducted in mid-June. Forty-nine percent now say they disapprove of the job the president has done so far in office and 4% are not sure.

The survey found similar results when likely voters were asked specifically to rate President Obama’s performance—47% give him a positive rating, with 22% rating his job performance as “excellent” and 25% rating it as “good.”

But slightly more than half (53%) give the president a negative job performance rating, with 10% who say he is doing a “fair” job as president and 43% who say he is doing a “poor” job—up from 36% who said he was doing a poor job in mid-June.

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.cfm?ID=1726

TackleMeBen
07-26-2009, 12:26 PM
what the messiah is falling????

btw, did anyone see the two night interview greta did with rush on foxnews. he made some interesting points.

Fire Haley
07-26-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't watch ANY news on the tee-vee. I get it all on the net.

Oh-oh - somebody stepped in something..

House to consider resolution demanding Obama apologize to Crowley

Congress would demand that President Obama apologize to the officer the president said had "acted stupidly" in the arrest of a prominent Harvard professor under a resolution set to be introduced by one Michigan lawmaker.

Rep. Thaddeus McCotter (R-Mich.) will introduce a House resolution on Monday demanding Obama retract and apologize for remarks he has made about Cambridge Police Sergeant James Crowley this past week.

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/07/24/house-to-take-up-resolution-demanding-obama-apologize-to-crowley/

X-Terminator
07-26-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't watch ANY news on the tee-vee. I get it all on the net.

Oh-oh - somebody stepped in something..

Congress would demand that President Obama apologize to the officer the president said had "acted stupidly" in the arrest of a prominent Harvard professor under a resolution set to be introduced by one Michigan lawmaker.

Rep. Thaddeus McCotter (R-Mich.) will introduce a House resolution on Monday demanding Obama retract and apologize for remarks he has made about Cambridge Police Sergeant James Crowley this past week.

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/07/24/house-to-take-up-resolution-demanding-obama-apologize-to-crowley/

OK seriously, do we need a resolution for this? Last time I checked, the economy is still in the crapper. Or how about making sure that Obama's attempted government takeover of health care gets killed? Hello????

HometownGal
07-26-2009, 08:11 PM
OK seriously, do we need a resolution for this? Last time I checked, the economy is still in the crapper. Or how about making sure that Obama's attempted government takeover of health care gets killed? Hello????

While I agree that an official resolution is a bit over the top, how hard is it for Obaaaaaama to show some common courtesy and apologize to the officer (who was simply doing his job)? Is it above the Savior to say those two very simple words - "I'm sorry"?

revefsreleets
07-27-2009, 09:51 AM
The irony is, he's calling this a "teaching moment", and this is actually one thing where I'd defer to him. i believe Obama IS in a unique position to use this incident to address some racial issues...but he's once AGAIN fumbling the football on the goalline.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Gates proved who he was. That's why he wasn't arrested for burglary.

Disorderly conduct is just a very vague, general offense cops can use on anyone they don't like.

Thats a pretty silly and uninformed remark. It not only implies (with a very large brush) that law enforcement officials are petty and vindictive but it ignores the fact that Washington does in fact have a "definition" of disorderly conduct.

All laws are arbitrary in their enforcement...thats why we have States Attorneys to decide if the person should be prosecuted and courts to decide guilt or innocence.

All the officer can do is judge the situation and apply the law to the best of his ability. In this case Mr.Gates was verbally abusive and unruly which fits the definition of disorderly conduct in virtually every state.

I would suggest reading the police report before laying any fault at the feet of the police department
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0723092gates1.html

revefsreleets
07-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Some people just always take the opposite side of the police. My liberal DC lawyer friend (also a member of the ACLU) is basically like that. He just knee-jerks against the cops no matter what...he almost suspects the cops DID plant evidence against OJ, which shows just how far he'll let his mind's mischief run in order to believe all police are corrupt...

fansince'76
07-27-2009, 11:33 AM

Nice to see Congress so focused on tackling the issues that are really important to this country. :banging:

Fire Haley
07-27-2009, 11:56 AM
No, I'm afraid this one won't just "go away"

Helter Skelter

Shock video: Professor Gates goes on N-word rant
'We're also trying to end what we call the one n-gger syndrome'

A video has surfaced on YouTube of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. delivering a church speech in which he uses the N-word, rails against "racist historically white institutions in America" and accuses Newt Gingrich of attempting to block blacks from entering the middle class.

Gates became a lightning rod of racial controversy when President Obama defended the professor, who was handcuffed in his home last week by police in Cambridge, Mass.

"We are trying to end what we call the one n-gger syndrome – you know, this place ain't big enough for more than one of us," said Gates in the video, filmed in 1999 in the All Souls Church in Washington, D.C.

"We in the academy have to know that our people, those of us who practice African-American studies, have to know that our people are under assault," Gates said.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=105144

Fire Haley
07-27-2009, 12:00 PM
'Impeach Obama' bumper stickers spark a shopping mall protest

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — While protesters rallied in his support, the owner of a Concord Mills kiosk that sells conservative merchandise said he met with the mall's manager Sunday to see what arrangements can be made for him to remain after his lease expires Friday.

Spivack has contended that he's being kicked out of the mall for political reasons. He's traced his exile to a letter to the editor in the Charlotte Observer criticizing his business, saying it promotes “ideas such as racism, sexism and even slavery.”

...about 100 people rallied in front of the mall to support Spivack and his right to free speech.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/72492.html

Fire Haley
07-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Bachmann: The Obama Administration Plans To Turn Us Into Castro's Cuba With Health Care Plan

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) has done it again, Think Progress reports. On Friday, Bachmann said the public-option proposal is in fact a plan to turn America into Cuba, by driving the private health insurance industry out of business:

"What the Obama administration will do with health care is make us like Havana in 1959, when Castro came in," said Bachmann. "In other words, no private health insurance company will be able to write another health insurance policy once the government takeover comes into place."

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/07/bachmann-the-obama-administration-plans-to-turn-us-into-castros-cuba-with-health-care-plan.php

X-Terminator
07-27-2009, 12:06 PM
While I agree that an official resolution is a bit over the top, how hard is it for Obaaaaaama to show some common courtesy and apologize to the officer (who was simply doing his job)? Is it above the Savior to say those two very simple words - "I'm sorry"?

Evidently it is, or he would have done so by now. No question Obama should apologize - he had absolutely no business saying anything at all, much less attacking the officer. It looks like he's going to be forced to, but if so, I'd rather it not be done via Congress.

As for the video, it's disturbing, but honestly, racists on both sides use religion and/or churches to preach their hate. So this doesn't surprise me at all.

And the guy kicked out the mall for selling his "Impeach Obama" bumper stickers...so evidently it was OK for every Democrat and liberal who was against Bush to have their little "Impeach Bush" or their "Bush lied, people died" bumper stickers on their Toyota Priuses, but someone has an "Impeach Obama" bumper sticker and all of a sudden they're the Antichrist? Par for the course here. I'd love for the mall owner to explain this one without putting his foot in his mouth.

fansince'76
07-27-2009, 12:13 PM
'Impeach Obama' bumper stickers spark a shopping mall protest

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — While protesters rallied in his support, the owner of a Concord Mills kiosk that sells conservative merchandise said he met with the mall's manager Sunday to see what arrangements can be made for him to remain after his lease expires Friday.

Spivack has contended that he's being kicked out of the mall for political reasons. He's traced his exile to a letter to the editor in the Charlotte Observer criticizing his business, saying it promotes “ideas such as racism, sexism and even slavery.”

...about 100 people rallied in front of the mall to support Spivack and his right to free speech.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/72492.html

This, after eight solid years of "Chimpeachment" bumper stickers. Gotta love the hypocrisy.

Fire Haley
07-27-2009, 12:22 PM
The irony is, he's calling this a "teaching moment", and this is actually one thing where I'd defer to him.

Didn't he say the cops "racial profiling" was the teaching moment?

Not so. The never-ending saga.

Woman who called Cambridge Police says she never referred to intruders as black

Gates case shocker

The 40-year-old woman whose emergency call to Cambridge police sparked the arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. and a raging national debate on race relations claims she never said “black” men were breaking into his house.

“This woman is 100 percent clear on what she said,” said attorney Wendy J. Murphy, who is representing 911 caller Lucia Whalen. “She never said she saw two black men. She said, ‘It never crossed my mind that there were two black men.’ ”

Whalen, a Malden resident who works for the Harvard alumni magazine, has been suffering in silence for days, stung by accusations that she was a racist white woman who thought two black men at a fancy house must be burglars, Murphy said.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?&articleid=1187224&format=&page=1&listingType=Loc#articleFull

-------------------------

Maybe if Obama had waited till all the facts were in before he opened his mouth he wouldn't have sparked this race war.
Unless that was his purpose from the beginning - take the headlines away from his socialist health care scam.

fansince'76
07-27-2009, 12:28 PM
The professor told the national media he was outraged to have been arrested in his own home, saying he was racially profiled by a “rogue” cop.

Funny, I thought he was arrested outside the house after he followed the cop outside to scream "RACIST!" at him some more....

The Patriot
07-27-2009, 12:57 PM
This is why you do your research before giving an opinion. Why the president had to comment about a domestic disturbance in Cambridge, I have no idea.

Fire Haley
07-27-2009, 01:55 PM
This is why you do your research before giving an opinion. Why the president had to comment about a domestic disturbance in Cambridge, I have no idea.

Because Gates is his friend.

Obama has lots of friends that hate America.

The Rev. Wright, Chavez, Castro, Hamas and Hezbollah, Iranian mullahs...the list goes on.

revefsreleets
07-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Curiouser and curiouser...can't help but think that maybe a few years in the senate, or maybe governing...Hell, maybe even being a mayor of a small town might have tempered some of this amateurism...

cubanstogie
07-27-2009, 08:03 PM
This whole thing is another example of racism in this country, and of the worst kind. The kind where every time a black man phucs up he blames the white man and claims racism. No friggin accountability whatsoever. And to make matters worth our new black president chimes in without any business doing so or any objectivity. IF these victims of racism would listen to the cops and explain in humane manor most of these incidents would not take place, for example the kid killed by Bart police and this Gates snob.Obama is a complete idiot, he obviously didn't have his teleprompter to tell him what to say so he stuck his foot in mouth. He is learning from Biden well. This is the man you kool aid drinking idiots voted for, great judge of character, especially when his character flaws were pointed out way prior to being elected.