PDA

View Full Version : New England will Not make playoffs

T Bradshaw
07-24-2009, 02:02 AM
New England will Not make playoffs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to make money is almost here. The weather on the east coast says it is here but callender says no.
FACT: All the players who wanna make bucks bet NE. UNDER on total wins.
The Pats. and Brady cheated their way to super bowls. THEY GOT CAUGHT!! The NFL. loves Brady hes the poster boy for this league. They wouldnt take action if he killed someone because of this fact. He man played like a bum in Michigan. Because he is A BUM. Now we will see this first hand because he cant get defensive calls before the play. Thats the only reason he looked as good as he did. I used to say how can he know where to throw all the time. Given the defence before the snap anyone in the NFL can look that good. This is the first time since the bust he gets a full season. You see what happen to him when he couldnt cheat in the super bowl. He couldnt score. The Giants d wasent that great but given the opposing QB isnt either you end up with NO OFFENCE.
I bet last year and won BIG . He got hurt so I benifited from that but now hes back and I will prove to everyone ITS NOT GOING TO MATTER. Brady's Pats should have been held as criminals. They should have been deemed "cheaters" and removed from the record books. Thats how serious it really was ! Its still that serious but the NFL is above anything so it goes unchallenged. The coach who used cameras to get signals and then sent the D into his QBS helmit is beyond cheating. Its disgusting ! Whats wrose is the cover-up by the league. But we can al benifit in the bank. I have 0 allegiance with any team I could care less who wins. I only care about money, MAKE YOURS BET UNDER NOW

T Bradshaw
07-24-2009, 02:05 AM
I know it's sacreligious to say anything bad about Brady, but I always thought it was the system. People don't realize the cheating was even more than the camcorder. It involved the radio communications angle which needs to be explored much more deeply and exposed. Since Super Bowl 42 the NFL has monitored this much more closely at all the stadiums. Is it a coincidence Brady hasn't looked that good since that time? Ever notice how he has to take such long strides in all his throws unlike players like Manning, Cutler, Favre, and Warner who can sling it without taking a big stride?

The fact using different radio frequencies (unavailable to the NFL) was key to the concealment of their scheme for stealing the other teams defensive signals AND communicating them to their QB. The conspiracy of silence around this allegation, after it was reported several times (Chris Mortensen of ESPN, quotes attributed to Doug Flutie) even PRIOR TO Spygate, seems to confirm that the NFL was covering up what was really happening. They were in a perfect position to substantiate and follow up on this violation of NFL rules in many games, yet it seems as if the Patriots use of their own frequency was dismissed as a technical snafu or team preference. Also note that the NFL's radio frequency was disabled 20 seconds prior to the the start of each play to prevent last second communications.

Imagine the numbers Cutler, Warner, Brees or Manning could put up in that scam. This could've been easily put to bed if Robert Kraft were to initiate a full and complete press conference with Roger Goodell. Instead, Kraft has been eerily silent and Goodell has destroyed tapes.

T Bradshaw
07-24-2009, 02:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EU1O-hGxgg

Shady Brady and Bill Belicheat

SteelCityKing
07-24-2009, 02:12 AM
Mr. Bundchen is going DOWN! =)

revefsreleets
07-24-2009, 10:00 AM
They'll still make the playoffs. They have a lot of talent on the team. But that's all...they are a playoff caliber team, no more...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-26-2009, 07:40 PM
They'll still make the playoffs. They have a lot of talent on the team. But that's all...they are a playoff caliber team, no more...

:), that's all that really takes to make the big dance anymore. If you're in you have a chance at making it to the Super Bowl (if not winning it all). As long as you're able to catch a spark at the right time, you have a shot at winning it all.

Signed

the 2001 Pats
the 2003 Panthers
the 2005 Steelers
the 2007 Giants
the 2008 Cardinals

oh and hell, even the 2008 Steelers, I don't recall many people picking them to be Super Bowl champs outside of Steeler fans and a few others.

Ishkabibble
07-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Got that right Woodson; just get to the postseason and anything can happen. Arizona's got destroyed Week 16 then damn near won a SB a few weeks later. NE will make the playoffs but it could be interesting. My guess is Brady (likely the team) will struggle the first half then play better down the stretch.
As for Brady, 50 TD's and 8 interceptions in '07 and still is a system QB? Either way, Roethlisberger's in a system, Brees, Peyton Manning; last I checked, Joe Montana's regarded as the best QB ever and the West Coast offense was most-assuredly a system. So what's point? Every QB plays in a system; just a question of how well they're able to run it.

revefsreleets
07-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Problem is, the Pats don't have the advantages they used to have. The best teams make the playoffs, and they simply aren't built for deep playoff runs like they used to be. They'd have to EARN a super bowl berth, and I don't see it happening...

BlastFurnace
07-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Anything can happen, but they still have a lot of talent there and Brady is back.

I think it's wishful thinking to say that they won't make the playoffs.

They went 11-5 with Matt Cassell!

steelreserve
07-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Anything can happen, but they still have a lot of talent there and Brady is back.

I think it's wishful thinking to say that they won't make the playoffs.

They went 11-5 with Matt Cassell!

Not to mention they still have a virtual cakewalk to the playoffs because of the division they play in. I seriously doubt Miami is going to duplicate last year's effort, and that's the Patriots' only real obstacle. The Bills look like they're still just average, and the Jets are going to suck ass. New England is going to win that division by default like they usually do, not to mention padding their overall record with an extra 5-6 wins.

Unless Moss tears his ACL this year. Which I won't explicitly root for since that'd be bad sportsmanship, but let's just say I wouldn't be sad.

Ishkabibble
07-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Buffalo could be better this time around. Miami is still a pretty god team w/ Pennington and their defense. The Jets will start a rookie @ QB so we'll see but they'll likely suck. NE's defense should be improved, to be honest. Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs and Darius Butler is a definite upgrade over Ellis Hobbs and fill-in-the-blank schmuck from last season. Vrabel's gone but they have a couple playmakers in Mayo and Adalius Thomas and a few young guys @ OLB. They'll likely try to "coach up" some of the kids so I imagine they'll see plenty of playing time.
We'll see if NE still has championship pedigree; been a few years since they won their last SB. Brady's still good, last I checked and, if he stays upright, I don't see how they're not gonna score a lot of points.
The Steelers should be the favorites in the AFC. Superior defense, more stability and fewer question marks.

Dino 6 Rings
07-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Not to mention they still have a virtual cakewalk to the playoffs because of the division they play in. I seriously doubt Miami is going to duplicate last year's effort, and that's the Patriots' only real obstacle. The Bills look like they're still just average, and the Jets are going to suck ass. New England is going to win that division by default like they usually do, not to mention padding their overall record with an extra 5-6 wins.

Unless Moss tears his ACL this year. Which I won't explicitly root for since that'd be bad sportsmanship, but let's just say I wouldn't be sad.

I don't know that I agree, Miami isn't being run by schmucks anymore, its Bill Parcells down there now, and he is very good at putting talent on the field. He leaves the playcalling and scheme to other people, but talent wise, they are pretty good down there in Miami.

Buffalo, I agree is a total Choke, they start off fast almost every year, then fall apart, or is it they start off slow then have a good effort at the end of the year? Whichever it is they are very Inconsistant.

Jets...I hate the Jets so I don't care if they succeed or not. But they did Split with the Pats last year. Yes Brady is back in NE but I'm not sure they are deep on Defense, their Oline is the same one that allowed Brady to be crushed in the SB and get hurt week 1, their running game, with Taylor, not sure how that's going to work out. Moss is still there but if you attack Brady (which is what people are going to do all game long) you negate Moss's deep play ability. We'll see, They should make the playoffs, but will they?

They draw the NFC South and AFC South this year. Little tougher than last year's schedule for them. at Tampa, at Indy, at New O, at Houston, home vs Carolina, Tennessee, Atlanta, Jacksonville, plus Baltimore and Denver to finish out the #2 teams from the other AFC Divisions.

steelreserve
07-27-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't know that I agree, Miami isn't being run by schmucks anymore, its Bill Parcells down there now, and he is very good at putting talent on the field. He leaves the playcalling and scheme to other people, but talent wise, they are pretty good down there in Miami.

I dunno ... it's hard to say for me. Miami had a great season, but I can't shake the feeling that they were only pretty good, and overachieved because everything went perfectly last season. Kind of like a house of cards, where if even one of the key players doesn't have a standout year, the whole thing falls apart.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm uneasy about them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go 11-5, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see them go 5-11.

The_WARDen
07-27-2009, 02:22 PM
:), that's all that really takes to make the big dance anymore. If you're in you have a chance at making it to the Super Bowl (if not winning it all). As long as you're able to catch a spark at the right time, you have a shot at winning it all.

Signed

the 2001 Pats
the 2003 Panthers
the 2005 Steelers
the 2007 Giants
the 2008 Cardinals

oh and hell, even the 2008 Steelers, I don't recall many people picking them to be Super Bowl champs outside of Steeler fans and a few others.

that's cause the Brady slobberers always pick the Cheatriots...so everyone else would always be a surprise.

Ishkabibble
07-30-2009, 06:46 PM
The cheating thing just sounds stupid after all this time. Everyone cheats in the NFL, everyone takes PED's in baseball and everyone on earth, to one extent or another, is a racist.
It's easier this way.

Dino 6 Rings
07-31-2009, 12:15 PM
I dunno ... it's hard to say for me. Miami had a great season, but I can't shake the feeling that they were only pretty good, and overachieved because everything went perfectly last season. Kind of like a house of cards, where if even one of the key players doesn't have a standout year, the whole thing falls apart.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm uneasy about them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go 11-5, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see them go 5-11.

I'd agree if Parcells wasn't at the helm. I don't see them taking a huge step backwards. They do draw the 1st place schedule this year, which will make it a little tougher, but they have a lot of talent on that team. I expect them to compete and be in most of their games.

steelreserve
07-31-2009, 04:15 PM
I'd agree if Parcells wasn't at the helm. I don't see them taking a huge step backwards. They do draw the 1st place schedule this year, which will make it a little tougher, but they have a lot of talent on that team. I expect them to compete and be in most of their games.

True, if everyone stays intact, they ought to do well and at least compete for a playoff spot. They shouldn't be bad, but if Pennington misses time or even just gets a nagging injury-- which usually seems to be about a 50-50 proposition -- they can expect a looooong season. It's rare to see a season where as few obstacles come up as Miami faced last year, which is why I tend to think that a little adversity could mess up their delicately balanced plans pretty badly.

HughC
07-31-2009, 04:44 PM
Ehh, I'm not buying this black-helicopters radio frequency conspiracy theory that T Bradshaw is convinced of. For starters if that was the case they'd have been going undefeated and winning the Super Bowl every year, and would have done far worse than eleven wins without that and their starting QB at their disposal last year.

As far as bets go, I do agree the Vegas odds are so low that without a doubt betting against the Pats is the way to go. But to bet against them making the playoffs? I better get some very favorable odds before I make that wager.

Their offense is better than it was when they won in 2003 and 2004, but their defense is nowhere as good as it was back then. What's the saying, offense sells tickets and defense wins championships? The media loves a high power offense; remember how they were tripping over themselves talking about how good the Broncos were after the first two or three games last year?

I have to agree with BlastFurnace, I think it is wishful thinking to say the Patriots won't make the playoffs. Still not as good as the Steelers, but I would say it is highly doubtful that they don't make the playoffs.

revefsreleets
07-31-2009, 05:05 PM
For starters if that was the case they'd have been going undefeated and winning the Super Bowl every year, and would have done far worse than eleven wins without that and their starting QB at their disposal last year.

Why? You're giving them a little too much credit I think...all I'M suggesting is that the cheating elevated an average unit to the level of an extraordinary unit. And "black helicopter" theories are usually based on crackpot nonsense...in the Pats case, there has been suspicion since the 2001 season, and NOT just from the shadier weirdo's in the NFL, but some credible teams. The destruction of all the evidence is the smoking gun to me...just as the in the case of the corrupt NBA officials, it proved to me, at least, that the corruption went so deep that there was no choice but to bury it. The ramifications were too far-flung for the NFL to ever deal with without leveling playoff and possibly even Super Bowl forfeits, and there is just no way that can ever happen...

HughC
08-01-2009, 02:47 AM
Why? You're giving them a little too much credit I think...all I'M suggesting is that the cheating elevated an average unit to the level of an extraordinary unit. And "black helicopter" theories are usually based on crackpot nonsense...in the Pats case, there has been suspicion since the 2001 season, and NOT just from the shadier weirdo's in the NFL, but some credible teams. The destruction of all the evidence is the smoking gun to me...just as the in the case of the corrupt NBA officials, it proved to me, at least, that the corruption went so deep that there was no choice but to bury it. The ramifications were too far-flung for the NFL to ever deal with without leveling playoff and possibly even Super Bowl forfeits, and there is just no way that can ever happen...
When it first happened I screamed till I had laryngitis. I just think there would have been a dropoff after they were caught (didn't happen in the rest of 2007) and certainly in 2008 (again it didn't happen; 11-5 with a backup QB.) Not saying it didn't help, I just don't see it making the difference that so many others here make it out to be.

As far as the NFL covering up, if that was the case then why did it even ever become public information at all? And as far as what was on the tapes, we all saw what Fox and Jay Glazer had from the mid-season stolen video; not really much different from what was shown at the Walsh hearing. Video or no video, if a team mixes up their signals they're fine; if they don't then they're probably not smart enough to win regardless.

I was probably a bit over the top with the black helicopeter reference but I still don't buy into this stealing radio frequencies theory that the original poster referred to. As far as I'm concerned right now it is impossible to prove or disprove, but again the fact they haven't fallen from playoff contenders to the bottom of the pile the way other teams have when they were at or near the top - that tells me that it either didn't happen, or it had little or no effect.

I know I am in the minority in this debate, but in my opinion there are some Steeler fans that are guilty of having a double standard. For example when a Seahawk fan whines about the refs calls, we call him out on it. But when the Steelers lose or a rival wins, rather than man up and say good job there seems to a lot of whining which I personally find embarassing: the refs were paid off, the NFL hates us, the networks wants a bigger market team win, Goodell likes another owner, the media loves fill-in-the-blank, etc. Sorry, but I find the whining and excuse making distasteful.

On a side note, to this day I still do not understand why the media made so little of a deal with the NBA ref betting on games. To me that was a much bigger story, and it simply got buried.

revefsreleets
08-01-2009, 02:43 PM
I never blame the refs...I call them out when they suck, but i have ALWAYS stated that good teams overcome adversity, and poor and/or biased officiating is adversity.

True enough, I don't like the Pats, and it makes it hard for me to remain unbiased on this issue, but there are just too many circumstances pointing towards them cheating to ignore.

I still think Belichick's record is almost proof just on it's own. He was 41-55 PRIOR to the first suspicion of him cheating, and he's like 130-30 after. The guy got a taste of winning after he started shooting dirty pool and there's no way he was going back after that...

LVSteelersfan
08-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Until that hoodie wearing jerk is gone, I have no respect whatsoever for the Patriots. He never would admit what he did was wrong. And you know if he was doing the video taping, that he wouldn't think twice about circumventing other things like messing with the audio signals. I still think Brady is extremely overrated. He is absolutely useless if the defense gets to him. He has no elusive skills like Ben. He goes down like a sack of potatoes without even trying to get away. Sorry, I don't buy the greatness.

steelerdave1969
08-02-2009, 01:45 PM
The only way the Pats dont make the playoffs again this year is If Tom Brady goes down again... I just hope the Steelers get the opportunity to beat them on their way to 7

jasonhightower
08-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I think the Bills may have a shot, at least when they meet in Buffalo.

SteelersTilIDie
08-02-2009, 02:57 PM
theyre obviosly gonna make the playoffs and go far in them barring injury they're one of the best teams in the entire league

Gnutella
08-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Am I the only Steeler fan who's tired of all the "Patriots are cheaters" crap? I really don't think it made as much of a difference as a lot of people think. Cameras sure didn't help them in 2002, 2005 or 2006, and the lack of cameras didn't prevent them from achieving a perfect regular season in 2007. And while we all get a chuckle out of their Super Bowl loss, it's worth remembering that Stephen Neal, a.k.a. their best offensive lineman, left the game early with an injury. (If you don't believe losing your best offensive lineman makes a difference, take a look at our offensive line between 2007 and 2008.)

Plain and simple, I don't see a very strong correlation between New England's success and their use of cameras. Besides, cameras didn't make Troy Edwards run out of bounds when he shouldn't have. Cameras didn't make Kordell Stewart overthrow a 6'5" WR twice on consecutive possessions. Cameras didn't burn Ben Roethlisberger out down the stretch in 2004. They beat us fair and square, and hopefully we can reimburse them this season. But spare me all the "cheaters" garbage.

revefsreleets
08-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Am I the only Steeler fan who's tired of all the "Patriots are cheaters" crap? I really don't think it made as much of a difference as a lot of people think. Cameras sure didn't help them in 2002, 2005 or 2006, and the lack of cameras didn't prevent them from achieving a perfect regular season in 2007. And while we all get a chuckle out of their Super Bowl loss, it's worth remembering that Stephen Neal, a.k.a. their best offensive lineman, left the game early with an injury. (If you don't believe losing your best offensive lineman makes a difference, take a look at our offensive line between 2007 and 2008.)

Plain and simple, I don't see a very strong correlation between New England's success and their use of cameras. Besides, cameras didn't make Troy Edwards run out of bounds when he shouldn't have. Cameras didn't make Kordell Stewart overthrow a 6'5" WR twice on consecutive possessions. Cameras didn't burn Ben Roethlisberger out down the stretch in 2004. They beat us fair and square, and hopefully we can reimburse them this season. But spare me all the "cheaters" garbage.

No, I won't. This is very simple. It's NOT just videotaping. There were allegations of stealing playbooks, intercepting radio signals, and perhaps even worse. And this is not hogwash made up by crackpots or conspiracy theorists, but legitimate sources such as competing coaches and the like. Cowher always said football is a game of inches, and gaining an advantage of just a little bit here and there is enough.

I keep coming back to 41-55 and 112-35 (These are the exact numbers). The FIRST allegations of cheating started AFTER the his 5-11 season in NE. He went 112-35 after that. ALL his success was post-allegations. That's just too much smoke for there not to be some fire.

Why is it so hard to accept that the Patriots were cheaters and got caught? They were leveled with the worst sanctions any NFL team has ever suffered. The evidence was summarily destroyed. Why?

Look at the parity in the league. Look at the records. Look at the penalties. There is indisputable evidence that they cheated, and I'm guessing this is an iceberg we'll only ever see the tip of. To call it "garbage" is ignoring the facts, such as they are...

I don't give a rats ass about losing to them. We've staked our claim as the LEGITIMATE best team of the 00's. WE are the team to beat, not the Patriots. The cheating was wrong, but it's also part of the game. I just don't want the issue confused. They are a dirty rotten underhanded organization coached by a dirtball, and they do NOT deserve the respect they are being afforded. The LAST thing they need is Steelers fans apologizing for them...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-03-2009, 11:38 AM

+1 :coffee:

Everyone cheats, some are just able to hide it more easily

revefsreleets
08-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't buy that at all. There may be teams looking for slight competitive advantages, but what the Pats did was beyond the pale. It was entrenched, perennial, premeditated full-blown cheating, a willful and well-thought out plan to circumvent the existing rules of the NFL to gain a significant advantage over their opponents, and it looks like it went on for most of the decade.

Ishkabibble
08-03-2009, 04:12 PM
NE was fined for rolling tape, not stealing signals. Prior to this, like baseball, the league had no problem with stealing signals. Still photos, using binoculars; no problem. Jimmy Johnson claimed he did the exact same, worse even, when he was coaching. Shanahan used binoculars in the stands to steal signals. These are conveniently forgotten cuz it's never about anything other than discrediting the Patriots, especially around these parts. The Niners and Broncos were fined $100K a day and draft picks for deliberately circumventing the salary cap years ago. So what's to be made of all these supposedly compromised titles?
Also, NE won what, 17 straight games after this incident...so they must've continued stealing signals after getting caught, right? Everyone cheats and it's flat-out naive to think otherwise.

revefsreleets
08-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Ignoring the huge IF. What IF they had playbooks? What if they WERE intercepting radio frequencies?

It's DEFINITELY in the NFL's best interest to bury that. The implications are too deep, the ramifications too complicated, the opposing teams complaints too complicated, the gambling winnings too rich...there are MANY "too's" that can never be wrapped up in a neat enough package, so they buried it and left the fans with their sorry-assed explanations (which seem to be working)...

Doesn't anyone remember when everyone in and around the NFL was BAFFLED as to how the Patriots, without much talent, kept winning? There were articles written about how it MUST be some kind of special teamwork, or maybe it was incredible drafting skills? They were credited with all kinds of fantastical and mythical skills and powers...

All those hypothesis have been disproven, but people still want to buck Occam's Razor?

They cheated. Probably pretty badly. End of story.

Ishkabibble
08-03-2009, 05:21 PM
lmao @ 'everyone in and around the NFL..."

But hey, keep capitalizing; makes your points so much more emphatic.

stlrtruck
08-04-2009, 10:21 AM
NE was fined for rolling tape, not stealing signals. Prior to this, like baseball, the league had no problem with stealing signals. Still photos, using binoculars; no problem. Jimmy Johnson claimed he did the exact same, worse even, when he was coaching. Shanahan used binoculars in the stands to steal signals. These are conveniently forgotten cuz it's never about anything other than discrediting the Patriots, especially around these parts. The Niners and Broncos were fined $100K a day and draft picks for deliberately circumventing the salary cap years ago. So what's to be made of all these supposedly compromised titles?
Also, NE won what, 17 straight games after this incident...so they must've continued stealing signals after getting caught, right? Everyone cheats and it's flat-out naive to think otherwise.

Actually the NFL has had procedures in place well before this about the use of cameras and stealing signs, etc. They added to those procedures after belicheat didn't have a complete comprehension of the rules in place. Rules that clearly, if one understood the English language, outlined what was allowed and what wasn't. This wasn't a case of maybe they did or maybe they didn't - but a case of how much did they do etc. It also goes to the commissioner for his part in the dismantling of the rumors and extent of the cheating by burning what they received. If there is smoke, there's fire.

It's also naive to think that just because one team does it that they all do it. Let alone to assume that such actions did not give an advantage. As for the 17 games in a row, if you've seen film and/or notes received from such an advantage and knowing that it's very difficult to change your defensive signals in a season, then it would still be an advantage to know certain plays are coming based on the previous cheating.

And I don't think this will ever rest until the patriots* become a laughing stock once again!

revefsreleets
08-04-2009, 10:52 AM
lmao @ 'everyone in and around the NFL..."

But hey, keep capitalizing; makes your points so much more emphatic.

Just what the world needs....MORE NE nuthuggers apologizing for their behavior...

Whatever...you're right...they're clean as a whistle and I just made all this up...

The Patriot
08-05-2009, 10:30 PM
The Onion agrees with you

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/hush_falls_over_patriots?utm_source=a-section
Hush Falls Over Patriots Camp As Tom Brady's First 10 Passes Go 3 Yards
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/nib_brady_600x315.article_large.jpg
August 4, 2009 | | Onion Sports

FOXBOROUGH, MA—Excitement surrounding the return of quarterback Tom Brady devolved into mute panic Thursday as each of Brady’s first 10 passes barely made it to the line of scrimmage. "Oh, God," said Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, breaking the silence that fell across the assembled players, coaches, and legions of fans who had just witnessed Brady’s ninth pass flutter slowly from his limp hand and land between his own feet. "Who’s our backup? Does anyone know who our backup is?" When asked for comment, wide receiver Randy Moss said he doesn’t care how poorly Brady throws the ball as long at it rolls in his direction.

Ishkabibble
08-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Gary Kubiak and Richard Smith changed their defensive signals twice during the regular season last year here in Houston. That's a fact.
The NFL does have rules in place with regard to rolling tape. That's what the memo said and exactly why NE was fined. My guess is 95% of NFL fans would say they were fined for stealing signals. It'd be nice if the fans kinda got that little detail correct...all I'm saying. The NFL has no history of frowning on signal stealing (still photos, binoculars); they wink at it and always have. There is nothing that can be divulged from rolling tape vs. using binoculars or taking still photos. If the league really cared, both would've been outlawed long ago.
Are the Dallas and Denver Super Bowl wins less legitimate, in light of the comments made by Johnson and Shanahan? How about the Niners and the lost draft picks for cap violations? Based on the criteria I'm hearing, all would have to be. And what if SD wins the Super Bowl this year w/ a roided-out Shawn Merriman? It's all about "unfair advantages" and they would certainly fall under that heading.

My condolences to the good people of Pittsburgh over what happened at that LA Fitness Center last night. It's a scary world we live in.

tony hipchest
08-06-2009, 02:01 AM
My guess is 95% of NFL fans would say they were fined for stealing signals. It'd be nice if the fans kinda got that little detail correct...all I'm saying. The NFL has no history of frowning on signal stealing (still photos, binoculars); they wink at it and always have. There is nothing that can be divulged from rolling tape vs. using binoculars or taking still photos. If the league really cared, both would've been outlawed long ago.
you really cant rewind still photos or binoculars over and over though.

basically what you are saying is akin to asking why speed limit signs werent posted on dirt roads back on the horse drawn buggy days. nobody ever frowned upon speeding on horseback, right?

the nfl deemed video taping as an unfair and illegal advantage (which it is). the patriots violated that ruling, regardless. they cheated.

it is what it is.

stlrtruck
08-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Gary Kubiak and Richard Smith changed their defensive signals twice during the regular season last year here in Houston. That's a fact.
The NFL does have rules in place with regard to rolling tape. That's what the memo said and exactly why NE was fined. My guess is 95% of NFL fans would say they were fined for stealing signals. It'd be nice if the fans kinda got that little detail correct...all I'm saying. The NFL has no history of frowning on signal stealing (still photos, binoculars); they wink at it and always have. There is nothing that can be divulged from rolling tape vs. using binoculars or taking still photos. If the league really cared, both would've been outlawed long ago.
Are the Dallas and Denver Super Bowl wins less legitimate, in light of the comments made by Johnson and Shanahan? How about the Niners and the lost draft picks for cap violations? Based on the criteria I'm hearing, all would have to be. And what if SD wins the Super Bowl this year w/ a roided-out Shawn Merriman? It's all about "unfair advantages" and they would certainly fall under that heading.

My condolences to the good people of Pittsburgh over what happened at that LA Fitness Center last night. It's a scary world we live in.

I think you're missing the point. It wasn't about the binoculars or still photos or even the video itself. I believe all teams have a video crew that video the game from a private location away from other press-box coaches in order to review the game for practices and to better prepare one's team for the next week - basically to perfect plays that didn't work. The cheatriots* method in which they did it was completely against the rule book.

IMHO, the difference between what Merriman did and what New England did is that Merriman was actually punished to the degree required by current guidelines, in comparison the commish did nothing but slap the cheatriots* on the wrist, burn the videos, and sweep it under the rug!

Ishkabibble
08-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Fair enough. Merriman was punished...but half a million dollars and a first round pick is considered a slap on the wrist? Name another team fined a first round pick.....ever?
And no one has addressed my valid questions about the legitimacy of other champions who've acknowledged they also "gained unfair advantage." I respectfully but wholehartedly disagree that you can somehow divulge more information rolling tape. Three photos: the signal from sideline, the scoreboard, then the formation on the field. Same information. Esiason and Howie Long have talked at length about how their coaches did it that way.

Like your ride, stlrtruck.

Dino 6 Rings
08-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Some Steelers fans believe the Patriots cheated, others don't think it was that big a deal, whatever. This Thread is a discussion about whether or not the Patriots will make the playoffs this year.

I contend the prospect is actually for the first time a while, looking like a maybe as a wild card. But even though I like the Standard 4, if I was betting, Steelers, Colts, Patriots, Chargers, in the AFC, I do think the Dolphins can give the Pats a run for their money, only because Bill Parcells does know how to evaluate and put talent on the field to be competetive. Plus, the Pats have a little bit tougher of a schedule on paper, even if most of their tougher games are at home.

I'm looking forward to the Pats vs Saints for that Monday night game, depending on team record of coarse, but that game has my interest.

Ishkabibble
08-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah Dino. I don't think NE is a runaway in the East like they have been in the past. But they did add a lot in the offseason; six picks in the first 3 rounds and some quality FA's too. They'll be very good and probably better in the back half of the season. They went 11-5 without Brady. It seems wishful thinking (as much as anything) that they won't make the playoffs. Funny, but I'll bet Maroney finally has a good season. He seems focused, healthy and determined (contract year, of course).
Been awhile since the Patriots have won it all, though. Remains to be seen if the championship pedigree is still in place.

Dino 6 Rings
08-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah Dino. I don't think NE is a runaway in the East like they have been in the past. But they did add a lot in the offseason; six picks in the first 3 rounds and some quality FA's too. They'll be very good and probably better in the back half of the season. They went 11-5 without Brady. It seems wishful thinking (as much as anything) that they won't make the playoffs. Funny, but I'll bet Maroney finally has a good season. He seems focused, healthy and determined (contract year, of course).
Been awhile since the Patriots have won it all, though. Remains to be seen if the championship pedigree is still in place.

Ok, the did make some picks in the draft, but it isn't like they got a guy who is going to start and blow the NFL away. They picked up a Safety at 34, a DL at 40, DB from Uconn at 41 OT at 58 and WR Tate at 83. These aren't guys that are going to fix their defense this season.

They brough in Springs at Corner from the Skins, he's 34 years old, he isn't scaring me at this point. And Bodden, he was a Brown from 03-07. Not worried about Bodden, pretty sure we have game tape on him.

Fred Taylor will take reps away from Maroney, maybe that's a good thing for them, we'll see.

Anyway, the didn't make that "randy moss" signing this off season so I'm not sure how they improve that greatly on the D side of the ball. We'll see, but they lost last year and in the Super Bowl because their D wasn't what it needed to be.

Ishkabibble
08-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Yup, defense is still "to be determined." But Derrick Burgess for a 3rd and 5th next year will help their anemic pass rush.

They ain't Pgh. on that side of the ball.

SGrogan
08-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Yup, defense is still "to be determined." But Derrick Burgess for a 3rd and 5th next year will help their anemic pass rush.

They ain't Pgh. on that side of the ball.

Tha was a pretty good signing IMO