PDA

View Full Version : All-Time NBA Squad

xfl2001fan
07-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Alright, something I've done on a couple of other sports sites that I'm a part of...I figured I'd bring it here too.

It started with just 5...then 6...but then the teams were all almost identical.

Make yourself an All-Time NBA team. Take 12 players, from any era...and you get them in their prime. You can play them anywhere (i.e. If you want to have Charles Barkley as your Point Guard, so be it...)

Then do a comparison with other choices.

revefsreleets
07-24-2009, 11:58 AM
OK, I'm game:
C Bill Russell (Reserve Kareem Abdul-Jabaar)
PF LeBron James (Reserve Tim Duncan)
SF Larry Byrd (Reserve John Havlicek)
PG Magic Johnson (Reserve Oscar Robinson, although he could easily play SG)
SG Michael Jordan (Reserve Kobe Bryant)

fansince'76
07-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Starters:

SG: Jordan (no-brainer; best player in NBA history)
PG: Magic (the ball-handling skills of a guard with the body of a forward - a matchup nightmare)
SF: Bird (still the best shooter I've ever seen personally, IMO)
PF: Bill Russell (I know he made his name as a center, but he would be an awesome PF nowadays, IMO)
C: Kareem (owner of THE unstoppable shot, the Sky Hook)

Bench:

G: Oscar Robertson (Mr. Triple-Double himself and could easily be a SG or PG)
G: Jerry West (Mr. Logo)
F: Dr. J (MJ's obvious inspiration growing up and probably my all-time favorite baller, period)
F: Tim Duncan (possibly the most fundamentally sound player in all phases of the game I've ever seen, IMO)
C: Wilt Chamberlain (An absolute freak of nature and would still more than likely be the best C in the league now)
C: Shaq (another freak of nature)

xfl2001fan
07-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Kareem Abdul Jabaar - Starting Center - A bit obvious choice in my opinion

Tim Duncan - Starting Power Forward -I am a huge fan of Mr. Fundamental...he's got a decent 15-footer and his inside game is as good as has existed at the PF. He's not a spectacular athlete, but his basketball IQ make up for it.

Larry Bird - Starting Small Forward - One of the best scorers in the NBA...and an underrated defender. Though I think LBJ will pass him as the best SF ever...for this team, I wanted a better outside shooter to complement the next guy.

Michael Jordan - Starting Shooting Guard - Not the greatest deep shooter...but could still score at will. Having Larry and Duncan spread the floor only helps him that much more. Great defender too.

Magic Johnson - Starting Point Guard - He is what Lebron James strives to be. One of the most versatile players to have ever played the game. His career average of 19.5/11.2/7.2 is one of the better all-time achievements. Having him allows me so much versatility...because I can play him at the 1/2/3 spot against almost any team you come up with.

Oscar Robertson - I only start Magic over him because I think the extra 4 inches and 30 pounds will make a difference. Still, he's easily in the running for 6th man award if he did become the first guy off the bench. His 25/9/7 average is just sick, no matter the era.

Lebron James - The next guy to come off the bench. Sure, there are guys with better careers, but this one can play the 1-4 spot with skill...and the team doesn't take much of a hit. He's this generations Oscar/Magic/Cousy/Erving.
Kobe Bryant - He's a sure fire 1st ballot HoF if he quit right now. Still has a lot of game left. His ability to create his own shot makes him one of the most dangerous scorers...and the fact that he can hit the open three with regularity only adds to that.

Wilt Chamberlain When KAJ has to come out, who better to replace him? I could honestly start either one and feel comfortable.

Kevin Garnett I'm going against convention with this pick (and probably with Duncan as well) but I love his athleticism and the way that he has changed the way the game is played. He opened the door for guys like Nowitzki to come to the US and play. Can hit the outside shot with much regularity and is a great defender. He's like having a 6'11 combo guard on the court (who can rebound.) This isn't so much about me thinking he's better...but creating mismatches on offense.

Dwight Howard Another pick that surprises people. I think his raw athleticism to come off the bench and play some hard/fast minutes at the PF spot (mostly) will add a speed dimension to the game that most teams couldn't contend with. As good as TD/Garnett/Kareem/Wilt are...I don't know that they could keep paced in a fast paced game. I only bring him in for injuries, or for a 5-minute scoring burst where I want to score fast. When he's in, Lebron, Magic, Oscar and MJ are all likely to be on the court so that we can run fast/hard.

John Stockton Best Pure PG to have played the game. When he comes in, he plays the 1...and either O/Magic get moved around.

Because of the athletes/Basketball IQ, I'd run a lot of zone defenses...and let my PF/SF play very free with the help defense. I'd want to run pressure D, starting between 3/4 court and 1/2 court.

Offensively, I'd want to run fast. Most of those teams that do run an uptempo offense fail because the guys they have running it can't play D very well. That's obviously not the case with my team. Because of the depth, I have no problem with having them run very hard in 5 minute bursts...and then swapping players out all game. 15-20 played for the starters..with the rest of the bench getting similar time.

xfl2001fan
07-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Starters:
PF: Bill Russell (I know he made his name as a center, but he would be an awesome PF nowadays, IMO)
I like the outside the box thinking!

xfl2001fan
07-24-2009, 12:23 PM
OK, I'm game:
PF LeBron James (Reserve Tim Duncan)

Another outside the box thinker.. His post game needs work, but his athleticism is off the charts.

fansince'76
07-24-2009, 12:43 PM
John Stockton Best Pure PG to have played the game. When he comes in, he plays the 1...and either O/Magic get moved around.

I had a long debate with myself over whether or not to put Stockton on my bench as a guard - for me it was between him, Walt Frazier and West, but in the end I chose West. Can't really go wrong with any of those 3, though. Good thread!

xfl2001fan
07-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, you could add Stockton, you only have 11 players...and you're supposed to have 12.

Basketball is the easiest sport to do this with, because of the small size of your teams. You can field a full "dressed up" roster in a short period of time.

Baseball would be the next easiest to get a starting rotation...but when it's time to go to the bench...you start adding in a lot of players.

Football is nearly impossible...because you need 24 just to have a full squad.

STEELtownHAVOX
07-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Magic
Jordan
Kobe
LeBron
Shaq (laker days)

Steelboy84
10-21-2009, 05:27 PM
PG- Magic Johnson

SG- Michael Jordan

SF- Larry Bird

PF- Karl Malone

C- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

MACH1
10-28-2009, 07:14 PM
PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Michael Jordan
SF- Larry Bird
PF- James Worthy
C- Wilt Chamberlain

Bench

PG- John Stockton
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- Jerry West
PF- Tim Duncan
C- Shaq

revefsreleets
10-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Still having a great deal of trouble seeing how LBJ is being excluded on a lot of these lists:

-2003 ROTY
-2-time NBA All-Star MVP
-5-time all NBA team
-5-time NBA All-Star
-1 time all-NBA defensive team
-Youngest player to average 30 points
-Joined Oscar Robinson as the only two players to average 27 points, 6 boards and 6 assists 3 seasons in a row
-3rd youngest player to post 15 triple-doubles (Robinson, Magic Johnson)
-Youngest player to 10,000 points
-Fourth player in NBA history to lead his team in all five major statistical categories (total points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks) in one season
-3rd player in history to post 30 points, 10 boards and 7 assists in a post season series
-2008 NBA scoring champ
-2009 MVP

SteelersinCA
10-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Maybe because he's young, I dunno, I'd put him on my 12 man squad. By the end of his career I'm sure he'd be starting.

revefsreleets
10-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah, even though he's young, there's just very little justification for at least not having him come off the bench.

MACH1
11-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Still having a great deal of trouble seeing how LBJ is being excluded on a lot of these lists:

-2003 ROTY
-2-time NBA All-Star MVP
-5-time all NBA team
-5-time NBA All-Star
-1 time all-NBA defensive team
-Youngest player to average 30 points
-Joined Oscar Robinson as the only two players to average 27 points, 6 boards and 6 assists 3 seasons in a row
-3rd youngest player to post 15 triple-doubles (Robinson, Magic Johnson)
-Youngest player to 10,000 points
-Fourth player in NBA history to lead his team in all five major statistical categories (total points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks) in one season
-3rd player in history to post 30 points, 10 boards and 7 assists in a post season series
-2008 NBA scoring champ
-2009 MVP

After if he has a carer like MJ, Magic, Bird or Kobe then yea I'd have him on the team. Up till now he has a bit of catching up to do.
Maybe with Shaq he'll get one. But then it will be Shaq's championship.

Nadroj 20
11-01-2009, 06:36 PM
After if he has a carer like MJ, Magic, Bird or Kobe then yea I'd have him on the team. Up till now he has a bit of catching up to do.
Maybe with Shaq he'll get one. But then it will be Shaq's championship.

Why would it be Shaq's championship?

I would say at best he will average 12 ppg and 8-10 rpg.....that isnt good enought to be considered "shaq's" championship

Shaq wont be the reason LeBron wins this year if he does..... will it help? maybe...but the whole reason...no

MACH1
11-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Why would it be Shaq's championship?

I would say at best he will average 12 ppg and 8-10 rpg.....that isnt good enought to be considered "shaq's" championship

Shaq wont be the reason LeBron wins this year if he does..... will it help? maybe...but the whole reason...no

It will be the only reason. LBJ can't do it by himself.

fansince'76
11-02-2009, 07:08 AM

Is that why Kobe bitched and moaned and demanded to be traded before the Lakers went out and got guys like Gasol - because he could win one on his own?

Nadroj 20
11-02-2009, 08:00 AM

Either could MICHAEL JORDAN, all im saying is it will still be considered LBJ's ring because shaq isnt going to contribute enough for it to be "his"

Come on no one can do it by thereselve. like the post above said kobe wanted people to help him after shaq left.

revefsreleets
11-02-2009, 08:57 AM
I think LBJ CAN do it by himself, more or less. They acquired a few FA's in the off-season, and Shaq was the biggets name, but he wasn't a huge upgrade at C...Shaq was brought in to help them situationally, against a few select specific players. The other huge flaw in this theory would be the assumption that LeBron is as good as he's going to get. He's not. He's the best player in the NBA and he's getting better every year.

This argument against LBJ will get weaker and weaker each and every year as his game gets better and better. It pretty much fell on it's face last year, and it will only become less relevant this year.

I do have to admit I enjoy the hate, though...it's particularly humorous when people start in with the knocks on his talent because it has no merit, which shows it to be pretty much just bald faced hatred...

MACH1
11-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Really? Really? Shaq isn't a huge upgrade over the center from last year. Wow. Thats like saying LbJ can do it all by himself.:screwy:

revefsreleets
11-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Z can play and is actually a decent defender, as well as a really solid outside shooter for a big guy. Shaq is much more of a banger and helps with the few guys they play like Dwight Howard. Plus Shaq is old and has seen much better days.

Probably need to learn a little bit more about the team before you bash with impunity....

Then again, none of this has very much to do with facts, figures and stats and reality anyway. It's just LeBron hate and that's cool...

By the way, LBJ's stat line is already insane this year.

4 games:
38.9% 3PT
31 boards
35 assists
48.6 from the field
5 steals
5 blocks
25 a game

Nadroj 20
11-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Really? Really? Shaq isn't a huge upgrade over the center from last year. Wow. Thats like saying LbJ can do it all by himself.:screwy:

He isnt a huge upgrade actually, we are talking about old shaq, not young lakers shaq.

His stats this year will not be that huge, plus he will only play 20-25 min a game....yea it will be "his" ring :rolleyes:

I really dont think this matters cause IMO cavs wont win the title, however LBJ will be given 85% credit if they do....think about this if LBJ gets hurt cavs have NO CHANCE of winning if shaq goes down they still have a legit shot at winning it.

MACH1
11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Yea, we all know stats are what wins championships. :rolleyes:

Nadroj 20
11-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Yea, we all know stats are what wins championships. :rolleyes:

Its the player recording the stats and stats reflect how well the player is doing.

MACH1
11-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Its the player recording the stats and stats reflect how well the player is doing.

Tell that to Marino. Ask him how many rings his stats got him.

Nadroj 20
11-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Tell that to Marino. Ask him how many rings his stats got him.

I said its the player that matters not the stats thats one pretty rare case with Marino.

MACH1
11-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I said its the player that matters not the stats thats one pretty rare case with Marino.

Theres a quite a few players in different sports that fall into that category.
Anyways back on topic.

Post your teams.

Nadroj 20
11-02-2009, 09:53 PM
PG-Magic Johnson
SG- Michael Jordan
SF- Larry Bird
PF- Karl Malone
C- Wilt Chamberlain

Bench (a big bench 15 man roster lol)
John Stockton
Pete Maravich
Kevin McHale
Oscar Robertson
James Worthy
Scottie Pippen
LeBron James
Tim Duncan
Kobe Bryant
Shaq

There are many other worthy players as well that i could add but those are who i like for my team.

devilsdancefloor
11-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Starters:
G: Micheal Jordan
G: Magic Johnson
F: Larry Bird
F: Charles Barkley
C: Kareem

Bench:
G: Oscar Robertson
G: Reggie Miller
G: Gary Payton
F: Dr. J
F: Dennis Rodman
C or F: Tim Duncan
C: Shaq

Honorable mentions:
G Isiah Thomas
F James Worthy
F Karl Malone

Nadroj 20
11-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Wow i forgot kareem, i knew i would miss someone good lol

revefsreleets
11-03-2009, 12:38 PM
So were now back on the argument that players aren't great if they don't win championships?

So Marino isn't a great QB?

We can go round and round and round, but, as i pointed out, LBJ is STILL getting better and he's already the best player in the NBA....bashing him will get sillier and sillier as time goes on...

MACH1
11-03-2009, 01:00 PM
So were now back on the argument that players aren't great if they don't win championships?

So Marino isn't a great QB?

We can go round and round and round, but, as i pointed out, LBJ is STILL getting better and he's already the best player in the NBA....bashing him will get sillier and sillier as time goes on...

Reading comp. Who said Marino wasn't a great qb?

Kobe's still better!

revefsreleets
11-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Well, to be fair, I've seen both sides of the coin used against Lebron...stating that until he wins a ring he sucks...any port in a storm for a hater, I guess...